John Feinstein drops hammer on UNC re: “The Scandal”… and then…

Feinstein
August02/ 2017

John Feinstein Drops Hammer on UNC re: TGU et al… AND THEN:

Renown Sports columnist and author John Feinstein pops a cap – drops a hammer – levels a haymaker et al…. on UNCCH for TGU blah blah blah ….

He stops short of advocating DEATH PENALTY but blasts Bubba pretty hard….

First Feinstein Column – LINK

THEN….

Very Angry Tru Blue board monkeys respond just like you would expect them to… citing Feinstein’s Duke heritage blah blah blah …. Yawn.

THEN….

Feinstein writes a follow-up commentary blasting the Tru Blue board monkeys for usimg the worn-out and trite “You’re a Damn Dookie” attack play.

…Describes how much it pains him to bash both St. Dean and Ol’ Roy… but he (John) has to “do my job as an investigative journalist”.

Follow-Up Feinstein Column – LINK

AND…. As an extra BONUS!

There are incredibly insightful reader comments from Yours Truly with both Feinstein commentaries.   Kinda surprised no comments from “my buddy Chansky” who is a long time pal of Feinstein… or used to be.

Hammers + Scandals + Board Monkeys = Fodder Fest!

If you didn’t follow all the 50+ Reader Comments on the Hugh Freeze column, DEFINITELY go back and catch them.  Some REALLY good’uns…. including a new CNR Says!

The Hugh Freeze Column – LINK.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

64 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
ScottieJ
ScottieJ

Late to this party but had to say your observation of our upside down priorities vis-a-vis indoor practice facilities and children’s hospitals made me gulp loudly. Spot on my friend and thank you for the profundity.

Tin foil hat heel
Tin foil hat heel

I applaud the flagship fighting tooth and nail to the bitter end. Roy is right, the flagship has done nothing wrong. At least no more than anyone else ever has. College sports is forever a sham, and in many ways the higher educational system has become a hustle as well. the state people should know this as they should be the last ones throwing stones considering in what a historically glass house they dwell in. And though Feinstein talks about how the flagship gets their day in court seven days hence I give you the counter take of Jay Bias… Read more »

Dr. Vinnyboombatz
Dr. Vinnyboombatz

The NCAA is a voluntary organization of which UNC and other colleges and universities are members. . Lawsuits by members of voluntary organizations are pretty much only successful if the organization GROSSLY violates it’s own rules and bylaws. This is not the case here, in that the NCAA enforcement carefully dotted all it’s I’s and crossed all it’s T’s. . This is one reason that this case has taken so long to process.The NCAA knew a very long time ago that UNC would try and take legal action against them. I agree that UNC has some really excellent litigators but… Read more »

Dr. Vinnyboombatz
Dr. Vinnyboombatz
Reply to  BobLee

You very well could be correct with BOTH of your theories.
Also, I think UNC PTB believe that they must exhaust every possible avenue to avoid NCAA sanctions here to appease their true blue Koolade guzzling fanbase.

Doug
Doug

This is not new news. In every aspect of life the flavor of the day seems to be to litigate until the bitter end and then litigate the supposed bitter end, all designed of course to keep the issue du jour going in perpetuity.

Doug
Doug

No need for no dadgummed N&O or that damn Dan Kane. I’m been assured by the “Koolade guzzling fanbase” that there’s nothing to see here. Move along. The NCAA will all be on their knees soon begging for forgiveness.????

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Comment PRIOR to evening Adult Beverage The “knees” reference makes me wonder. WILL the UNC Crowd, lead by the Blue Smurfette, finally realize that their ONLY way out is with Knee Pads and Personal Service (open to either gender or TG of COURSE)? . I think that possibility exists IF the NCAA is really super “urinated” about the UNC’s “you have NO jurisdiction” ploy. If and ONLY if a banner is to be taken down and several season’s games (wins?) vacated will UNC then break out the Knee Pads and assume the position. Perhaps they can retain Monica for instructional… Read more »

Dr. Vinnyboombatz
Dr. Vinnyboombatz

In less than 48 hours TSIATGR in Nashville.

fayettewuf
fayettewuf

I am sure the conclusion of this mess will result in gnashing of teeth and rending of collegiate sweatshirts in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. I really don’t care whether Dean is found guilty of masterminding the scam or not. Given Dean’s rise as a coach, his apparent pride in his players’ accomplishments after basketball and the fact that the landscape changed dramatically during his tenure, I could see him supporting the creation of an AFAM department. . It could have made sense to have a major that the players that he was recruiting might have some interest in and a… Read more »

fayettewuf
fayettewuf
Reply to  BobLee

I read what I posted and meant to say I did not see the support for an AFAM department by Dean as a dastardly scheme to keep the at risk eligible. Dean was not having sit guys because of academics.
A couple of years of not getting to play post-season and some scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions would set them back, I think.

Doug
Doug

Having read through some of the suggested penalties of your readers for the NCAA to dole out to UNC, I’ve come to the conclusion that the same penalties were suggested as far back as the 70’s before there ever was a TGU. In other words, go to any message board, pick a date since dinosaurs went extinct and UNC’s wished for penalty is unchanged. I don’t know which I’ll enjoy more. Watching UNC fans becoming unhinged or watching foes becoming unhinged. It’s a win-win either way. ????

wolfdon
wolfdon

Ever since MW, JS, and DK came on the scene 5 years ago to uncover the scandal that began when DC, BM, and Dr. N hatched a scheme about 18 years before which spilled over into other departments to include JB that paragon of ethics……….we have known what a cesspool existed at Chapel Hill. Glad that JF has discovered the truth and finally spoken out about it.

wolfdon
wolfdon

Jan ” we have to be careful how were word this ” Boxill

Jay
Jay

The responses to Feinstein’s column are incredibly disappointing. No one seems to care that UNC gained an immoral and unethical competitive advantage over it’s peers for 2 decades with those classes. Education is based on truth if nothing else and I expect most UNC Alum to understand that. Why do they disregard truth in favor of legal loopholes and questions of NCAA jurisdiction? Why don’t they demand their school to lead the way to “Redemption”, a term liberally applied to their last Hoops National Championship? Incredible and saddening, because these are educated people who should know the difference between right… Read more »

PTH
PTH

As a State grad and former athlete I would like to see their (UNC’s) athletic program suffer a similar fate as State’s did, but State self-inflicted many of it’s wounds and I don’t expect UNCCH to do that. I pretty much agree with you on the titles and fine, but with at least 2yrs of postseason eliminated, in the revenue sports and any other sports that were actively involved in the scandal. I believe UNC’s football program has been legit since Fedora was hired and they were punished for the agent pay deal so maybe only 1yr post season for… Read more »

PTH
PTH
Reply to  BobLee

Would not “Ma” Spellings 1st priority as the president of the UNC Board of Governors be the protect and enhance the academic standings of the member institutions? If this is correct, would it not be in direct conflict to continue the previous path of trying to cover the asses of the UNCCH athletic department and the “fat cats” bragging rights. . Maybe athletics is more important than academics, maybe the donations from the “fat cats” exceeds what the university receives from the citizens of the state. Based on my limited knowledge of how the finances of these institutions of learning… Read more »

BobH

The UNC BOG should demand resignations from the chancellor whoever is tying to fill Bill Friday’s shoes and every single basketball, football, baseball and tiddlywinks coach at the school.

Terry Sanford (that lard-arsed pos) had the guts to end the Dixie Classic. The BOG should be no less determined to demand excellence.

Yes, I’m a UNC graduate. The entire leadership there deserves to be axed.

Former96heel
Former96heel
Reply to  BobLee

I’m not sure I agreed with much from Bill Friday, but it does seem he had a moral constitution. I believe it is telling that no leader at the institution felt the need to stare down the athletic beast. In today’s world of big money, would a current President Friday have had the gumption to inflict career suicide, and tame the Athletic/Academic powers that be?

myowngrandpaw
myowngrandpaw

The ONLY thing that has come from this debacle is UNC fans have gone from “UNC is the cleanest, winningest sports program in the country” to “UNC is the winningest sports program in the country, and we don’t care how, because “everybody” cheats”.

As the Duke lacrosse case has shown, it does not matter how many lawyers and money Duke threw at the scandal, GOOGLE will remain!

When you GOOGLE “academic fraud” North Carolina fills the page.

myowngrandpaw
myowngrandpaw
Reply to  BobLee

OBNOXIOUS is never going away. Once among themselves they are obnoxious to each other. Trying to one up each other on how many times they met Dean. Brag about the new blue Cadillac. Seat location. Shinier weejuns. Alpaca vest. What golf course they belong to.

Speaking of Dean. Whatever happened to YOGI POTEET? Saw his head and shoulders play basketball in Woolen. I was too small as a kid to see over the guy in the bleachers in front of me.

@CarolineduRosso
@CarolineduRosso

So Bob, as a UNC guy what exactly do YOU think the penalty should be? I’ve taken to asking Carolina folks this very question lately and they hem and haw (errors of omission rather than commission don’t you know) and usually come up with a list of minor penalties tantamount to a traffic fine. So, again, what say you Bob?

Amen, Brother! AMEN!!!!!

And I would fire everyone in the administration and all coaches for NCAA sports. I know people who where at The Hill when I was who had Honor Court hearings based on hearsay that they had cheated. Why or why did we lose our moral fortitude and ethical guideposts?

@CarolineduRosso
@CarolineduRosso
Reply to  BobLee

Well said. This scandal goes beyond kids selling tickets and/or shoes so a harsh penalty is called for. Although I never attended Carolina myself, it’s a state school, the ‘jewel in the crown’ as they say and malfeasance reflects upon us all. If my beloved NCSU had done the same I can tell you right now, the next time they had some silken voice coed call me up, trying to sweet-talk some old codger out of a donation, I’d tell her in no uncertain terms she’s getting maybe half what I usually give. Ok, seventy five percent MAX (and I… Read more »

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad
Reply to  BobLee

Hmmmm. I think that I read this before. If you read Feinstines “The Legends” book, the man is a prolific note taker and filer. He seems pretty straight and the Dean, Mickey and Valvano comments and factoids in the book jibe with what others have written.
I think that Wayne Weldon and Jan Boxill ought to be cast away, Naked and Afraid, on Jekyl island. Check on them in a decade or so. Maybe have Roy and Sylvia do a short stint on the new atoll off the Outter Banks. Do NOT film them. Maybe 3 months without supplies.

uncleron
uncleron

Somewhere there needs to be a place to insert a YouTube of Nicholson’s “truth” speech in “A Few Good Men”.

Reply to  BobLee

That quasi-religious worship for Dean came later. He was not expected to get a contract and was hung in effigy. Maybe he should have been hung by his neck with a rope.

Porgie
Porgie

And now NC STATE basketball will be punished because a player DID go to class. Go figure.Yea, I know there are a few more details involved in the situation. But…

Reply to  Porgie

They put slick Jimmie V in the trinity when he recruited Charles Washburn but couldn’t get his SATs above 500 … or keep him from stealing from other jocks at the athletes motel.

Where are those coyote-cool, slide rule boffins who would insist on coaches of the moral and technical achievement attained by Everett Case?

Gear Up
Gear Up
Reply to  BobH

Devil Incarnate Dean recruited the very same Chris Washburn. Let’s not forget the academic scholars Wallace, Peppers, Taylor, and T-Rex of the Bloody Beak.

Gear Up
Gear Up

BobLee, Here’s your column title for the start of the third week of August: “They wuz called to da Principal’s office in Indy: How Roy, Larry and Sylvia saw no evil, heard no evil or spoke no evil to the big bad NCAA” . I imagine good ol’ boys Roy and Larry leave Sylvia holding the bag … bag of TGU cash for Greg to dole out the tongue-lashing and sanctimonious kabuki theatre tap dance on how they did no wrong. Roy walks, Larry limps and Sylvia is carried out on a stretcher. Two weeks later all will be forgotten… Read more »

Elrod
Elrod

Thanks for the link to the new Feinstein article, as I had not seen it. It was pretty much what I expected, with one notable exception. I REALLY like one of his closing statements, “But I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t mention the dates because they are FACTS. Being an adult isn’t always easy.” I am still waiting for the adults to stand up on this issue, from several angles.

You really stuck out the lightning rod on this one, BL, then let go of it to see how many strikes it collects. Good Job!!

Reply to  Elrod

Well said. I pray that lightning strikes them all with a vengeance.

Bob Kennel
Bob Kennel

Feinstein writes well and sees clearly. We’ll get a feel in 2 weeks, possibly by listening for squeals from Chapel Hill.
In a sense I can feel for the athletes and coaches somewhat, but not for the lawyers, public relations people, administrators, academic support personnel, NCAA compliance people, and arrogant fans ( both fat cats and monkey boarders). Somehow the AD is falling fast into this second category.
Obviously, much more to come !!!! ????????????

Dr. Vinnyboombatz
Dr. Vinnyboombatz
Reply to  BobLee

While the COI meets with Bubba and Co in Music City, I wonder how many times Hank Williams'(I think no relation to Roy) “YOUR CHEAT’N HEART” will get played.

Reply to  BobLee

One of the things on my bucket list is to find his grave and micturate thereupon. It shall be right after I’ve done same on LBJ’s grave.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x