A Bucket List Check-Off …

Bucket List
December07/ 2020

BobLee logo

December 7, 2020

A Bucket List Check-Off … Sort of

♦♦♦

Did the term “Bucket List” even exist before the Jack Nicholson / Morgan Freeman 2008 movie of that name?  If not, what did we used to call “stuff I want to do someday”? … just “stuff I want to do someday”? Bucket List

Last week I enjoyed a special experience that might not have been on my Top Ten “Do Someday” List … but, upon being invited to do so … was promptly placed there … and summarily “checked off” upon completion.

I was invited by BobLee Buddy Bo to…

Go Fly Fishing in a private trout stream in Western NC.

As you know, I have, over the past 5-6 months, become somewhat of a zealot in my passion for “fishing”.  But the fishing I have done locally in ponds and lakes for bass and “panfish” is to “fly fishing” as “playing slow-pitch softball” might be to “playing golf”.  While both softball and golf involve swinging a club … the techniques involved are totally different.

Fly fishermen – with the exception of BL Buddy Bo – tend to be “snobbish” when comparing their “elite” avocation to the rest of the fishing community… in the way that a Formula One driver might perceive a NASCAR driver.  That has nothing to do with the delightful experience Bo and I had Saturday week.  Just thought I would provide a bit of context.

Bo had all the specialized equipment – waders, boots, fly rods/reels, flies – and in-depth knowledge of where we would be fishing … behind two separate locked-gates and several miles down a rambling “two-track” including several “fordings”of the stream / river.

I expect everyone who visits this location makes reference to Deliverance due to its remoteness.  Millions of years of water and gravity has carved out a beautiful forested chasm with a portion of the Yadkin River suitable for an Orvis brochure.

Bucket List

Bo gave me a 30-minute “how to” since I had never held a fly rod in my life.  Imagine never holding a golf club and being given a 30-minute lesson on the driving range before teeing off at Augusta ???

30-minutes after Bo’s 30-minute “how to” I caught a 10″ rainbow trout.  Keeping with the golf analogy … I birdied #1 at Augusta.  Damn, this Fly Fishing isn’t so complicated.

If “Did you catch anything” is the only measure of a fishing experience – It Isn’t – then the rest of the day I was playing with house money.

Catching that 10″ “rainbow” was very cool but was NOT among the Top Two Highlights of the day.

In no particular order … those Highlights were … Managing to Not Fall Down in The Stream … and Getting to know Bo better … and see the passion he has for Fly Fishing … and For His Family.

Do not dismiss “… not falling down” unless you have waded mid-thigh-deep down a fast moving stream filled with slippery rocks while wearing the equivalent of a Fishing HazMat suit.

As for “Bo and his passions” … I am at that point in my life where I can be very selective with whom I choose to spend my time.  Bo Thomas met every qualifying criteria and then some.  We met 15+ years ago on a Fall Saturday in Kenan Stadium back when it was named for “the racist” and not for “son of the racist”.

Thelma Louise

When I was not concentrating on NOT falling down … Bo and I discussed and concurred on darn near every topic imaginable.  He has been a long time BLSays enjoyer so most of my opinions were already on-the-table.

Yes, we share a concern that “America” is a smidgen away from “going Thelma & Louise” and there is not much he or I can do about it… so let’s go fly fishing in a beautiful setting in Western NC.  Bo is also addicted to audiobooks and we share many of the same favorite authors.

Bo is also very proud of his wife of 40+ years and their two adult sons.  A man talking glowingly  – NOT Bragging – there IS a difference! – about his family may seem like “a given” to most of you.  It really isn’t.  But it oughta be.

You may recall that I gave up golf because 5-6 hours of what passes for “typical guy talk” depresses the hell out of me.

We spent almost 12 hours together – just the two of us and Mother Nature – and yes – “America going down the toilet” – IS a bummer but that aside … we shared life experiences and random thoughts that reaffirmed there ARE enough “good people” left to share a lifeboat with as The Titanic’s orchestra plays Nearer My God To Thee.

Who knows?  This may have been my one & only Fly Fishing experience.  It was “a good one”.

Now I can concentrate on Running With The Bulls at Pamplona and Climbing The Matterhorn.

♦♦♦

I notice that Mack’s Boys had their names back on their jerseys this past Saturday.  Was the “Social Justice” Thingie just for the national audience for the Notre Dame game?  I wonder if Mack has any criteria for what can / cannot be “said” on the back of a UNC Football jersey?  Would “Rich White Rams Are Racist” be allowed?  Does Mack have a clue what Black Lives Matter is REALLY about?  For sure “Ol Roy” doesn’t have a clue.  Can Roy even spell BLM?  Oh well … it’s all about blowing smoke up the butts of semi-literate 17 y/os … right Coach?

Am I the only one who thinks this convoluted College FB season is “a Bobby Ewing Shower Scene” or, at best, just a bunch of meaningless exhibition games?  Did The NFL Season ever start?

♦♦♦

My apology AGAIN for so long between BLSays commentaries. I PROMISE to do better.

♦♦♦

A show of hands of everyone having their THIRD Cornea Transplant this Tuesday morning at 7:30.  Huh … I must be the only one.

More of BobLeeSays … CLICK HERE!

5 4 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

25 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Jon Bishop
Jon Bishop

Bobby Ewing shower scene – well said BLS!!

former96heel
former96heel

I hope the procedure went well. Funny to read Big Rams giving up. It’s happening all over the sports complex. I can only imagine a large portion of NFL fans may not pony up for tickets when they get the chance again…unless your team is winning. You can still be a casual college fan without having to empty the nest egg to gain access. Apparently you can build a pretty decent team without an indoor practice facility too, so says the Chanticleers. . I can’t wait to see how the colleges hold on athletically for another 18 months if the… Read more »

DM Carpenter
DM Carpenter

BL:

Enjoyed the article, which is usual. I hope today’s procedure went well.

Queen City
Queen City

Did you purchase a fly rod? If so, catching a bass on a fly rod is a hoot since your into pond fishing. Just a plastic worm in lieu of a fly. Western NC fly fishing is a blast if you can manage all those friendly tree limbs above your head. 🙂 . Didn’t realize Mac did the jersey thing. Saw that Roy has ‘Unity’ on the back of the jerseys. I felt that was pretty harmless until they rolled out the Carolina BB BLM commercial during the games in Asheville. That along with Bill Walton was a little too… Read more »

Doug
Doug
Reply to  BobLee

Every BTCC is trying to hang on like shot squirrels until this Woke phase blows over. Could be next month or another decade. Who knows? Roy’s latest streak is 0-9 against the top AP Top 25. TGU Part II? Glad the surgery went well. You may have trouble seeing but there’s nothing wrong with your vision. Got a new knee installed a month ago but don’t think dunking is in my future.

Ruth M
Ruth M

Love the fishing story. There is nothing bettr than being outside with a friend on a beautiful day watching wildlife, catching trout and getting to know each othr better. Also throw in a little reflecting time. Add to the “Bucket List” a trip to the Magic Mile in little ole WY.
It is also great place to fish. Just looks a lot different from where you are. So excited that the young folks are heading for Virginia!!! Also, keeping you in thoughts and prayers for successful surgery today.

Hesire#2
Hesire#2

I spoke with a former classmate yesterday, and the back of the shirts of football players came to mind. Also, followed by Roy’s comments on BLM. He said “I have about given up on Carolina sports.” He and I have been BIG RAMS for decades. I agree with him completely.
Another suggestion I have is that Roy should make the players get a haircut. They
represent the university and they look like a bunch of bums.

RowdyBlueTarHeeler
RowdyBlueTarHeeler

excellent again! glad you are getting some good doctoring – hope this one sticks this time. re: fly fish catching – i recommend you hire Capt. Joe Shute @ AB for a near shore trip when the “Albies” are running or for back water redfish.

TarHeel69
TarHeel69

Glad that you got away from “Breaking News” for a while. Western NC makes you appreciate what a diverse state we have – truly blessed.
Enjoy your family (especially the grandkids) – its about all we have left that is worthwhile!

Porgie
Porgie

Usually your writing sabbaticals center around visits to or from the younger set, which I whole heartedly agree with. Enjoy them all you can but be careful when you have to get up from the floor. Not a fisherman but do enjoy eating them.

Kent Hobson
Kent Hobson

BL, I love reading your thought provoking rants. Since I am in the Triad and not the Triangle, I sometimes miss your comments on People/Places in the Triangle. I also love BBQ. Lil Richards in Camel City/Clemmons is our place to go now. Been to Parkers in GVegas, BBQ Lodge in Kinston. . I got to mark an item off my bucket list a couple of weeks ago. My wife and daughters got me a combination Birthday, Retirement, Father’s Day present for some track time at Charlotte Motor Speedway. What a rush. I got up to 143mph and it was… Read more »

James Wilkins
James Wilkins

You need to find a bream bed next spring and summer on a farm pond near Kinston…..more fun than trout! It was Sue’s favorite fishing. She would squeal when she got one on line…..some of my favorite memories…..just gave her fly rod to her grandson…..he loves it too

Dale Madren
Dale Madren

I hope Bo told you that catching bluegills on the fly is great fun. And not snobbish at all.

Ricky Packard
Ricky Packard

As alway, I thoroughly enjoyed this one, too

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x