BobLee’s Favorite Movies ….

BobLee's Favorite Movies
April19/ 2020

BobLee logo

April 19, 2020

BobLee’s Favorite Movies

***

Last week Reader “Dick” asked for a List of My Favorite Movies.  Like all of us… with way too much discretionary time on our hands these days… he was looking for entertainment suggestions.

I obliged … giving it about ten minutes thought … and in no particular 1st 2nd 3rd order.   Just “a bunch of” movies that come to my mind that I have enjoyed over the years.

My Litmus Test is…

“if I am channel-surfing and see that ______ is coming up.  I stop to watch it or hit RECORD to watch it later regardless of how many times I’ve seen it.

I stopped counting  “# times” a long time ago with Road House and The Green Berets.  I’m up to 9/10 with Casino and Clear Present Danger

I am sure I left out one or more of Your Favorites.  Thats OK… Your Favorites are every bit as legitimate as My Favorites … so long as your list also includes Road House of course.

Mine is THE Only Favorite Movie List that does NOT includes Shawshank Redemption.  What can I say?

A lot of testosterone in this list.  “Kid” learned early the term “It’s a Dad-will-like Movie”.

Here It Is.

***

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Casino

Road House

A Clear & Present Danger

Life & Times of Judge Roy BeanBobLee's Favorite Movies

Green Berets – (w/ John Wayne)

The Vikings – (w/ Kirk Douglas & Tony Curtis)

Godfather One

Where Eagles Dare

Entrapment – (Heist movie w/ Sean Connery & Catherine Zeta-Jones)

A Field of Dreams

The Bishop’s Wife – (Blondie’s All-Time Favorite Movie)

Princess Bride

Dirty Harry

Last of The Mohicans

Shenandoah – (w/ Jimmy Stewart)

Goldfinger

Die Hard – One

BobLee's Favorite Movies

Gone With The Wind

Oceans 11 – The Clooney / Pitt version

Young Frankenstein

Lara Croft 1 & 2 – (NOT #3.  Different Lara… It was awful!)

Raising Arizona

The Dirty Dozen

Pretty Woman – HA, surpised you didn’t I!

Braveheart

Paint Your Wagon

Lonesome Dove – (technically a TV mini-series)

O Brother Where Art Thou

Magnificent Seven – (original w/ Yul Brynner)

John Wick 1-2 & 3

Silverado

Delta Force One – (w/ Chuck Norris)

Watership Down – (on Every BobLee’s Favorite Books list)

Rambo – (The Viet Nam one)

The Patriot

Inglorious Bastards

***

If you asked for this list a month from now, I might come up with 5-6 more.

Feel free to add your choices to the list... for the common good.

More BobLeeSays – Click HERE

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

23 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Leroy Rogers
Leroy Rogers

You mentioned some great ones no doubt about it. I’ll add a few if you don’t mind: ‘The Spy Who Came in From the Cold’ has to be on some list. ‘Witness for the Prosecution’, ‘Hurry Sundown’, “Chariots of Fire’, ‘Empire of the Sun’, ‘Michael Collins’ and ‘The Dinner Game’. I also liked ‘The Day of the Jackal’ and ‘The Odessa File’ (Frederick Forsyth adaptations).
You know what, I could do this for hours.

Leroy Rogers
Leroy Rogers
Reply to  BobLee

I didn’t even mention any westerns, which is almost un-American. ‘Winchester 73’ is one of my favorites and both True Grits. Clint Eastwood’s ‘Unforgiven’ was a very entertaining movie as well. Also if you like war films an overlooked gem is ‘Sahara’ with Humphrey Bogart, Dan Duryea and a very young Lloyd Bridges. My guilty pleasure is just about any bad sci-fi from 50s era floating pie tins, cyclopes in radiation zones, giant insects and lizards to something more recent like ‘Battlefield Earth’. But if the film takes itself too seriously like some of the recent Star Wars permutations I… Read more »

Dudley Moore

Great list, Bob Lee. I agree with about 90% of your list, and I rarely agree with you to that level. I was happily surprised to find The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean on your list. Several of my buddies and I watched it, late night, back when we were at State (roughly 1980), and thought it was hilarious, and eminently quotable. My buddy Ben was even anointed with the nickname “Beano” in honor of the judge, and the nickname has stuck for 40 years. Other than you, and my crowd, I have never found anyone who appreciated,… Read more »

DeacJoe
DeacJoe

I like your columns and now latest movie list. Good. Did you ever see “How The West Was Won” ? In Cinerama, early ’60s. three screen shots pieced together was the best when sitting down close to be engulfed in movie. All star cast and good sound tract. If you like US history.

DeacJoe
DeacJoe
Reply to  BobLee

Yes, great, very large cast. Cinerama was bypassed by the large wide screens that followed. But, the near surround feeling was mostly lost.

Doug
Doug

Like your list. My movie list flexes but Patton, Get Shorty, Mash, & The Natural will always be floating in there somewhere. Also like the Kill Bill movies.

Doug
Doug
Reply to  BobLee

KB 1 is on Prime for $3.99. Uma Thurman as The Bride aka former assassin, Code name Black Mamba, is a total badass. Recommended.

HokieJay
HokieJay

Consider A Beautiful Mind or The Last Samurai or Hidalgo. Each about a man struggling with his inner demons and breaking through to the other side. Those are man’s movies, like many of your favorites.

P. ColemanBuck
P. ColemanBuck

We watched “Knives Out” last night and it was very enjoyable. I would add “Casablanca” and “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” to your list for sure, and probably throw in “Goonies” and “Rudy” for good measure.

Fayettewuf
Fayettewuf

Why not The Godfather II? Why is Goldfinger the Bond movie? Just curious.
LIstening to Ty Cobb, A Terrible Beauty. Terrific book if you like stories about old time major league baseball. Casts doubt on a lot of the stories about Ty Cobb.

TarSpartan
TarSpartan
Reply to  Fayettewuf

I’ll second the recommendation for “Cobb: A Terrible Beauty.” I read it a couple years back during a trip to Paris and couldn’t put it down.

As for movies, I’m surprised you don’t have any Charlton Heston in this list. His epics are classics, and while his later movies may not have been great, he was always great in them.

Irate Pyrate
Irate Pyrate

Wow! A fun exercise to do on a legal pad on a rainy day. That reninds me as a kid perusing the “Book of Lists” and noticing the big time (of that era) Hollywood types listing their all time favorites.

If I were pressed ro put down on paper my favorite films, I would have to categorize them by genre. It would be an ever-evolving “living breathing” list, kinda like how Algore once described rhe Constitution.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x