BL: ..College Football… Circa 2018

Football
January04/ 2018

College Football… Circa 2018

Boy Oh Boy was College Football Georgia v Oklahoma a Humdinger… or What!

98% of you reading this had no “my team” in this one so you could simply enjoy the ebb & flow of that game without your self-worth in Harm’s Way by the outcome. How I felt with Game 5 of The World Series. How I feel about all sports.  … Granted I only watch College Football and Major League Baseball.  Incredibly liberating!

It is January 4.  I can only name three ACC Basketball players.  TOTAL for ever how many teams there are these days in The ACC. … UNC’s Berry (Barry?) and Pinson and Duke’s Allen Grayson / Grayson Allen.  My goal is Zero by this time next year. … I’m pretty sure there are No More Plumlees.

Was UGA / OU equal to last year’s Alabama / Clemson or that Texas / USC game in 2005? This was not a Final Final and they were so probably not, but this one was certainly “a Thrilla”.

I don’t go to “watch parties” or, heaven forbid, sports bars to watch Big Games (or little games). It’s been at least fifteen plus years since I’ve done so, and I swore “never again”. That “promise myself” is among the easiest to keep.

UGA / OU game was so good that I was done with watching football by halftime of Nick vs Dabo III. So was Dabo.

Does Nick winning Nick vs Dabo III mean the mad rush to have nap rooms… waterslides… and miniature golf courses as mandatory recruiting bling will be put on hold?

Either Georgia or Alabama will be THE FIRST National Champion in The Nap Room Era to win without “a Nap Room”.

Is Dabo’s Much-Ballyhooed Six Flags Over Death Valley no longer the “We gotta have one too” of Big Time Wannabee Juggernauts?

Tour of Dabo’s Six Flags Over Death Valley – LINK

NC State almost beat Dabo two years in a row. Was “a nap room” the critical difference? … or was it their “wiffle ball field”? Yes, Six Flags Over Death Valley has a Wiffle Ball Field next to the beach volleyball court.

Did you know that…

Before Kirby Smart agreed to leave Nick to go to UGA, he DEMANDED a commitment from UGA Fat Cats to build… drum roll … AN INDOOR PRACTICE FACILITY (IPF). Yes… indeed…

Georgia has been one of the last Power Five juggernauts (along with you-know-who) that did not have an IPF.

I wonder if Kirby Smart looked across the negotiating table at the Georgia AD & Fat Cats and uttered THE PHRASE…. “even Wake Forest has one”. I choose to imagine he did.

I think “…even Wake Forest has one” should be required uttering at every New Messiah hiring. Not because Wake Forest should be picked on but just because it was the final straw that got TruBlues forking over $36,000,000 so Larry Fedora could have one too.

Before Larry’s IPF gets built, he learned he also needed a nearby fishing hole” to “be competitive in recruiting”.

Once every Power Five program …even Wake Forest – and  UCF – gets it’s own IPF and nearby fishing holes, there will be something else “in order to be competitive”. There will ALWAYS be the next “gotta have to be competitive”.

I bet it will be retractable domes. I was going to say “individual cup holders and/or more charging stations” but we are waaay beyond that now.

Just within the 20-year life span of this website, we have seen Rise of The Jumbotrons. First there was Stage One – Little Jumbos. Then Stage Two – Jumbo Jumbos. Stage Three – Double Jumbo Jumbos. Now we are in Stage Four of – Double Jumbo Jumbos & at least two little jumbos.

So long as there are Fat Cats demanding Bragging Rights there will be an endless list of “gotta haves to be competitive”.

STOP

Q:  Hey BobLee,  why do  you keep harping on the absurdity of the College Football “Arms Race”… IPFs, etc.

A:  BECAUSE one day One Fat Cat is going to read these harpings and realize how absurd this is.  He will convince one more… and one more… and one more.  One day SANITY will reign from Sea To Shining Sea… or maybe not.

It would be nice if Fat Cats would hold off on throwing multi-multi-millions down such silly ratholes until we find a cure for Alzheimer’s and/or Cancer

… or have St Jude/Shriners Childrens’ Hospitals within 100 miles of every sick child in America

.… but I realize I’m just being silly.

In case you missed it with all the hustle & bustle of The Holidays… ESPN’s Very Angry Race-Diva Jemele Hill went on a screeching rant AGAIN. This time it’s not John Skipper’s mess to clean-up. Skippy is long gone… working on his long-time substance abuse issue… giggle, giggle.

That myth of Skippy’s substance abuse has been debunked. Skippy was canned for multiple mismanagement messes. Race-Diva Jemele is now daring ESPN/Disney to fire her so she can join The View and become The Next Whoopi.

Jon Gruden will either be The Raiders next Head Coach… or the next CEO of ESPN… or … He (Gruden) will NOT be marrying Prince Harry. I’m pretty sure of that

##

26 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
FightingBobKennel, Jr.
FightingBobKennel, Jr.

I invented the retractable dome. Bet y’all didn’t know that. I also invented the name, “Dabo.”
FBK

ENC#1
ENC#1

Almost forgot, the grandchildren will change your life for the better of course and might make you give up watching college football????

ENC#1
ENC#1

Not a UNC -CH or TV Teddy fan but Teddy does not have to explain his call to Berry or any other UNC -CH or F$U player. In basketball refs just talk to head coaches they will not even talk to Sean May about what time McDonalds closes after the ga me. I am old school so players play and Head Coaches talk to Officials. Now knowing TV Teddy he would have given Berry a T if he kept going and asking questions…… glad that worked out for Berry. We all know that the officials miss calls against all teams,… Read more »

Former96Heel
Former96Heel
Reply to  BobLee

Flashbacks to growing up, where everyone who followed the ACC thought Lenny Wirtz was either Dean’s godfather, or real life Wil E Coyote, trying to steal a victory from him. It is amazing that the same ref can be viewed simultaneously as unfair to two factions at once. In hindsight, I’m still amazed the codger could hustle up and down the court at that age.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad
Reply to  BobLee

TV Teddy actually predates Karl Hess. Teddy was much aligned by “our kind” and was the only ref that I had heard of. . Then stupidity, ego and circumstances propelled KH to the coveted VADER status. A now defunct website had a complete dossier on every college ref with stats going back at least a decade. It was a treasure trove for any partisan fan to prove that ref X fornicated their school. Naturally, one had to cherry pick the data, as investigative reporters often do, to legitimize their opinion. . I think there is a secret society of refs… Read more »

Doug
Doug
Reply to  NCSU68Grad

The most coveted referee accolade is the Ray Charles Lifetime Achievement Award.

My favorite Jimmy V referee story that may or may not be true; Lenny Wirtz was calling a game and was over by the NCSU bench. V reportedly asked Lenny “if he could give him a T for what he was thinking.” Lenny said “no coach.” V said, “Good, I think you suck.” and got T’d up.

DM Carpenter
DM Carpenter

BL:

I doff my little-worn fez to you for the Shriners’ Hospital plug.

uncleron
uncleron

Happy New Year, your last as a non-grandpa! There is one name I suggest you learn on the college basketball front and it’s (gasp), a Dookie. Marvin Bagley III is already the best offensive player Duke has ever had. Think a more athletic Sam Perkins with a higher revving engine. Best of all, he appears to be well spoken and gives thanks to Jesus after every game. Hard not to like him.

Bosco O
Bosco O

Is Dabo his real name? I had a dog named Jabo once

BabsB.Derm
BabsB.Derm

LOL, those are the only three names I know in college BB, as well.
What a great game. Had no idea it would be so close, but I'm glad GA won. Now, if only they can beat AL.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

I’m down to watching NCAA FB and whatever the BTN and the Longhorn’s channels on UVerse are playing when I need some insomnia background noise. Almost given up on BB, but last nights ND game (versus my struggling Pack) did qualify for the NAP Bowl. I had the gas logs running and dozed off around halftime and slept through (conveniently) the second half. OUCH….double OUCH… Wonder if Prince Harry will invite Jon Gruden rather that figure out whether snubbing Trump and inviting Obummer will significantly impact the amount of financial aid that I THINK we still send to Great Britain?… Read more »

Doug
Doug

I watched the Badgers dismantle to Hurricanes and Mark Richt lose it on one of those new fangled 60″ OLED HD TV’s at DA BEACH. The OL and DL linemen Wisconsin dairy farmer boys were not white. Those boys were plum PINK. Aided by a week of Florida sunshine I suppose. Coach Richt went beet red on a no-call horse collar takedown. Full disclosure: I had to Google the spelling of Richt.

Doug
Doug
Reply to  BobLee

Not freeze related. Our first GC recently did the same thing in Raleigh. A mid-October baby stretched into early November before coming out of hiding. The wait is Hell but the results are worth it.

Robedixon
Robedixon

Speaking of retractable roofs and being competitive . Imagine the zillions it will cost Charlotte, Meck County, and even NC taxpayers when the new owners of the Panthers hold hostage those entities to either give us a new retractable roof stadium with even more luxury suites to keep the team in Charlotte or we new owners will ship it off to another city that will meet our demands.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x