BL: Champagne Wishes… and Green Bean Casseroles

casserole
November08/ 2017

BL: Champagne Wishes… and Green Bean casseroles

We will beat that thoroughly mutilated equine corpse of our team vs referees just a bit more… BUT FIRST…

“Mothers of the house” are beginning to assemble the ingredients for Thanksgiving 2017. Are we now at the point in Battleground America where plastic sporks replace more lethal cutlery… for fear that one or more extended family members will take umbrage at one or more other extended family members over diametrically-opposite ideologies? … despite a very poignant urging by self-appointed “Rodney Kings” (“can’t we all just get-along?”). “Rodney” we are soooo beyond that now…Rockwell Thanksgiving

Traditional “adult table” debates over the importance of French fried onions to a proper green bean casserole now having been replaced by a well-intentioned conversation-starter by dingy Aunt Clara to the 3-4 “college-age” attendees… “Do ya’ll have any of those trans-whatevers at your school?”

NOTE: How might Norman Rockwell paint the scene when the phrase “artificial vagina” is first uttered at an American family Thanksgiving Dinner?

But let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. There’s still umpteen permutations still in-play to decide which of a handful of college football teams can say “…but all-in-all we have a lot to be proud of…” . as permanently constipated fans demand that being satisfied with 9-wins is for losers and totally unacceptable.

In this era of everyone gets a participation trophy because we don’t dare bruise young psyches that it truly is all about WINNING… Finishing second is “the first loser”. Do we really need to keep score?

If you don’t believe “keeping score” is on the hit list of what MUST be removed from college campuses along with offensive statues then you really aren’t paying attention. “Grades” are a form of keeping score so let’s do away with “grades” too.

STOP BobLee STOP… wherever you are going with this… can’t we beat that mutilated equine corpse of “crooked referees” some more?

Q: Did that last column result in a game plan or at least a few “action steps” towards resolving that issue?

A: No, was it supposed to? We agreed that (1) Officials are human… (2) Humans are subject to corruption, intimidation and simply messing up … (3) Spending 10 minutes reviewing EVERY call / no call until it favors “my team” is probably not the solution.

BUT… (1) having Conference executives with life-long ties to one member institution is as horrible an idea as it has always been… and (2) assigning officials from a central national HQ rather than thru each conference office makes waaaay too much sense to ever happen.

NOTE: Expanding Twitter to 280 characters is still THE Worst Idea of this millennium. The devastating impact of THAT begins this week.

MLB did away with separate American and National League umpires some years ago. I never could remember which one used the inflatable outside chest protector and which used the “inside the shirt” one.

Now MLB umpire crews are scheduled randomly across both leagues with supposedly the same strike zone for all 30 teams. MLB still hasn’t decided what to do about “Cowboy Joe” West, so there is still work to do.

As Reader Comments flew Fast & Furiously in that last column, I had repeated de ja vues all over again of word-for-word debates of this exact same issue at least a dozen times in the 18-years of this website’s existence. Not unlike those debates over green-bean casseroles. … “traditions like no other…”

We have a list of similarly reoccuring topics. Should we number them and simply refer to them that way. #4 might be “Aluminum in Kenan Stadium” … #6 – The UNC BOG did WHAT? … and so forth and so on.

As of today, there IS still a path to the Swoff Bowl for NC State… but should that path be closed…

Does a 9-3 Season w/ a Whozit Bowl in Valdosta merit The Brass Ring Deal for Dave Doeren?

What is “good enough” to be “a Really Good Season” for a mainstream fully-functioning adult Wolfpack fan… with a Life ??

That opening loss to SoCar negated any thoughts of A DREAM SEASON but there were Champagne Wishes for sure until two weeks ago.

All this assumes a Royal Whuppin’ of the woeful Fedorians of course. If somehow that goes horribly horribly wrong, it’s take-away all belts and shoelaces time all across Planet Wolfpack. … The on-line carnage that would ensue if “that” happens would have Lee Fowler and TO’B smiling if not grinning.

I am certain an NCSU L to UNC will NOT happen, but what do I know?

Hey, did I mention that Blondie and I spent last week at “da Beach” – Emerald Isle to be specific? We experimented with a Soundfront rather than our usual Oceanfront cottage rental. That risky experiment turned out incredibly well. It was at a narrow strip of Bogue Banks where “the beach” was literally just a block away. … we have reserved that same Soundfront cottage for the Spring. It was THAT nice.

Sound Sunset

Speaking of incredibly well… My personal choice …NOT a boycott… to not include The NFL among my Fall entertainment options is going splendidly. “Cold Turkey” to maintain our Thanksgiving theme. I assume ROWGs and the Kaepernickers are still at odds… and ratings are still tanking… and Roger is curled up in a fetal position under his desk NOT eating a Papa John pizza?

When The NBA season starts it too will not make my list of options …. What? The NBA HAS started ? You’re kidding, right? Who Knew!

Stranger Things

Kid and Pastor Danny have me watching Stranger Things on Netflix. I’m through four episodes of Season One. Expecting Pennywise The Clown to show up any minute… Meanwhile, Blondie is fully engaged in Hallmark Christmas Movies.

Stranger Things VS Hallmark Christmas Movies … Actually, I enjoy Hallmark Christmas Movies too. …. (a partisan political slur noting zero pedophiles in Hallmark movies can be inserted here).

Here is where we usually do the shameless promotion of the other SaidWhatMedia offerings.  Their links are “up yonder” on the right side… including our buddy at NCNewsAndViews.com …

AgentPierce’s piece – HE FIGHTS by Evan Douglas Sayt – went Double Platinum.  As always, those of the liberal persuasion should NOT “go there” without permission of your physician, shaman, guru or favorite Hollywood B-list activist.  It references a reality you know nuthin’ about.  For the rest of you... HERE’S THE LINK.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

34 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Tin foil hat heel
Tin foil hat heel

The fedorians will go to the fairgrounds with at least a smidgen of hope. Lest the mighty Catamounts take their measure on senior day. Last night at least made for an enjoyable listen coming back from a day dealing with business all over Eastern Virginia as the legacy signal of WBT 1110 in Charlotte was for the most part clear as a bell, who said AM is dead, ah hell it is, but at least that rotting corpse was of use to me last night.

TheCowdog
TheCowdog

Oh…..

Why the misogyny? Mom taught 3 boys how to cook, and we paid attention.

My two brothers and I, can, and do a Thanksgiving feast with all the bells and whistles to include French fried onions.

Our kids wouldn’t understand women in the kitchen on Turkey Day.

Mo’ football from Detroit. Knees and all.
Wait. Turkeys don’t have knees, and therefore have no use for gravy.

Ric '73
Ric '73

Bacon Brussel Sprout Green Bean Casserole, So. Living, 11/17, pg 100 or so!!!

Former96Heel
Former96Heel
Reply to  BobLee

Not having ever been a TG host, I recognize the difficulty of getting the turkey right, or buying the ham that suits the taste of most everyone. This is making me wish for a vegetarian TG. Let’s just go all sides and desserts. That’s a worse sign than expanded Twitter characters to me.

Former96Heel
Former96Heel
Reply to  BobLee

HoneyBaked was a go-to holiday job for me in college. TG, Christmas, and Easter weeks, you could get 12-16 hours a day in the back working your tail off. It was so well organized. A factory of glazing hams and turkeys. I worked in quite a few food establishments when I was younger, but I would literally eat off the HBH floor (after it was cleaned). It didn’t hurt that they also hired a lot of college girls to work the counter, even if I only got to talk to them through the cooler door. They would give us some… Read more »

Doug
Doug

Nice column and choice of subjects. A post mortem on Clemson-NCSU. Maybe someone can pitch in and defend DD for becoming a little unhinged about a laptop. Or defend Dabo for ranting about stealing towels. I thought it was all dumb but not as dumb as a Ball brother shop lifting in China. I really wish dad Lonzo had done that press conference. That would have been a fine show. Insult the Red Chinese, make them lose face and he might lose part of his revenue stream. Then I read Bruce Pearl was (surprise) not cooperating with the FBI. Indictments… Read more »

Doug
Doug
Reply to  Doug

Oh and just when we think TGU might be over with, that damn Kane feller strikes again.

72Packee
72Packee

BobLee, I recommend Corolla Light over EI. The soundside is beautiful with its majestic sunsets over Currituck Sound, while the red brick Currituck lighthouse overlooks the Whalehead Club.

I have faith in DD, but he needs better kickers and more speed on special teams.

Doug
Doug
Reply to  BobLee

I assume something along the line of first rate basketball coach. Second rate human.

Todd Lesley
Todd Lesley

I think the Clemson game reaction is a carry over from the “UNC skates and the kid that went to class at OSU has to wait till he can transfer to NCSU” week. I did not come away feeling my Wolfpack got cheated in the Clemson game and have been rather embarrassed by the aftermath. The Pack could easily lose the next two games at BC and WFU if they become disinterested like Florida and Florida State have been this year. Having to watch UNC win a natty in hoops and skate the violations…why not cap it off with a… Read more »

Prince.Albert
Prince.Albert

Please tell “Blondie” that if she has ANY QUESTIONS about ANY of the Hallmark Christmas shows to call Mrs Prince Albert, EVERY DAY she watches them, and has been watching them, even if they repeat them a day or two later. I’m sure Blondie is aware that there are two separate channels.
albert (pa)

DM Carpenter
DM Carpenter

Forget not the Persimmon Pudding!

DM Carpenter
DM Carpenter
Reply to  BobLee

Grew up with it, both the Western NC side and the Creedmoor side of the family. Wonderful stuff.

DM Carpenter
DM Carpenter
Reply to  BobLee

Should I run across any while in Raleigh, visiting the folks, over the T-C-NY holiday period, I will contact to drop off some lingual bliss.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Random thoughts….often misguided or only understood by my Navajo code Breaker Buddy, Clint….Chief of Light in Monument Valley…. Norman Rockwell would have difficulty in painting a Christmas morning scene where one of the 21 YO “College Students” (attending an upscale university where only Trump or a CBS Executive could send their child without a Home Equity loan)….was opening her “DREAM PRESENT”. A Pink [email protected]&$y HAT or Hoodie. Presumably hand knitted by Aunt Clara. He could not capture the childlike innocence as the 7YO twins ask the Father Knows Best Matriarch…..WHAT is that? You made me laugh…. Dave from the Midwest.… Read more »

ultraviolet
ultraviolet

I’m putting a picture of that green bean casserole on a string dangling in front of my face while I jog. I love that stuff.

Robert.D
Robert.D

Do I need permission to break my No NFL decision on Thanksgiving Day? It always helps me fall asleep in my La-Z-Boy after dinner.

Sheryl.84
Sheryl.84

Greatest Idea Ever BL… it gets a little too close to “gun control” but “banning real knives and forks” in favor of sporks at Thanksgivng could indeed save more family member lives than seat belts. Will we need an airport metal detector at the dining room door, just in case?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x