BL: Oct 1995: OJ NOT GUILTY… Oct 2017: UNCCH NOT GUILTY

Explosion
October13/ 2017

Oct 1995: OJ “Not Guilty”

Oct 2017: UNCCH “Not Guilty”

and BOOM Goes The Dynamite!

“If the glove don’t fit… you gotta acquit”… no glove like with OJ; but The NCAA somehow decided something didn’t fit so… UNCCH “beats the rap”.   Ain’t that a HOOT?

• If you are an ABCer and hated / despised / loathed “The NCAA” before today, you REALLY hate / despise / loathe “The NCAA” now.
  • If your co-worker / neighbor / no-account brother-in-law was an obnoxious TruBlue a**h*** before today… you ain’t seen nothing yet.
  • If you are an obnoxious TruBlue all your naïve delusions about “your school” and its “Way” are sorta vindicated if not validated.  Al least enough so to ramp up your general obnoxiousness to every ABCer you come in contact with. Your self-worth invested vicariously in your school/team remains as valid as it ever was.

ABCers all around The Globe can rant and rage and fuss and fume and perform all manner of “I’m soooo mad I could…” and most are/will … but It Is What Is It.

ABCers of the Lupine Persuasion can dredge up every minute detail of “what they did to Jimmy V 25 years ago…”, and they surely will, and it won’t change today’s ruling one iota. But do it anyway because…

What do I think?

I think: …“IT” was a rather simple scheme to keep UNC MBBs academically eligible by assuring them of enough credit hours to “stay eligible” for as long as they intended to play intercollegiate basketball. The scheme was in place performing its intended function for 15+ years.

Some of the direct beneficiaries over the 15+ years were academically incapable of doing college-level classwork.  Others simply felt entitled not to have to do so.  Regardless, they didn’t have to…

Was IT, at worst, a victim-less crime like “prostitution” or “smoking dope” or “jaywalking” or “fudging on your taxes”? IT was “manipulating grades to keep a specific group of UNC student-athletes eligible to play basketball”. Compare that to whatever you wish….  The scheme was quickly expanded to include WBB and UNC Football players too.

That UNCCH “student-athletes” of other sports may have benefitted is irrelevant. That frat boys also benefitted is also irrelevant.

Were Deborah Crowder and Burgess McSwain that clever to create a blueprint that could evade circumspection? No, they were not that smart at all… just lucky.

Is the Machiavellian hand of St Dean The All Mighty behind this? I don’t think so in its initial inception.

Did He/Dean know about it? Absolutely but St. Dean was easily able to apply “situational ethics” that it was necessary as some odd form of intellectual reparation for decades of oppression to African-Americans especially ones with exceptional basketball skills.

Once St. Dean massaged it to that point, He had no problem sleeping at night.

Once St. Dean gave “the scheme” His blessing, what Ol’ Roy thought about it from then on didn’t matter. Roy guzzled enough Dean Kool-Aid over the years to believe anything he was told.

What anyone in South Bldg (UNC Admin, Trustees, et al) thought about it or knew about it NEVER mattered at all… and still doesn’t.

Roy could take and pass a polygraph that “Dean was born of a virgin and rose on the 3rd day.” Roy is not the only one over there to believe that of course…

Vince IlleThe name Vince Ille (E-lee)has gone unnoticed in all this. Vince is Bubba Cunningham’s consigliore. The real history of how it all got to today may involve the name Vince Ille more than anyone knows today.

All the other motley crew of characters who have had bit parts in The Great Unpleasantness (TGU) will be cussed, discussed and cussed some more ‘til all the cows are home and bedded down… remember VINCE ILLE… and remember where you heard it first.

Big Time College Athletics has been a dank cesspool of corruption, hypocrisy, lies, more lies and “situational ethics” of the lowest form for many years… even before Marvin Tweeted eight years ago.

Nothing that came down today changes that. Except maybe a few more naïve rah rah fans may realize how corrupt it is.   Some of you think it is only “corrupt… etc” when your school/team loses. No, it is also just as corrupt when your school/team wins. Yeah, I know that is not what you want to hear. Sorry about that…

NOTE:  I have already checked with “my man in Beijing” and guess what.  At least 1,000,000,000 Chinese actually DO CARE about today’s verdict.  St. Dean might be surprised to hear that.

OK… I hereby provide you another among a lot of on-line forums where you can express your feelings about today’s verdict.

If you have all sorts of really kinky conspiracy theories (and surely those are already running rampant across cyber space) feel free to share them with us.

If you get all obscene I WILL edit your comments… but expressing your pleasure or displeasure is fine.

AgentPierce’s Latest  – LINK

Blondie’s Latest  – LINK

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

94 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Dale Madren
Dale Madren

What to do about Silent Sam? He should be removed and replaced with a statue of Frank McGuire, who represented what has now been confirmed as the UNC core.

Tim Moretz (baltimoreheel)

I’m just really am glad this is over. I’m trying not to over think or over analyze the situation. Simply speaking I’m just glad UNC coaches can get back to being able to recruit with higher expectations. I don’t want 5 5star bb players. Haven’t seen many teams loaded with 5 or 6 freshmen jumping to the NBA next year win national championships. I do like the combination of top young talent with seasoned veterans. Under the “Cloud” was becoming more and more difficult to get that combination. I will just sit back and enjoy the Heels in their more… Read more »

Gear Up
Gear Up

It’s over, time to move on. NCSU is now creating Country Cookin’ 101, 102, 201 and 202. Just submit a paper with your grand mama’s recipe for your “A” grade. The NCAA is dead. Long live the 21st Century “student athlete”.

The OJ comparison is weak IMHO. No one lost their life, that we know of, in this multi-decade film-flam operation run by the Blue Smurfdom.

Gear Up
Gear Up

… and TGU now stands for The Great Unexpectedness… 😀

Doug

I’ve switched outcomes in my mind too many times to count. Everything from death penalty to no penalty. One thing though that I’ve maintained from the very beginning is that this was -semantics aside – not the dreaded “lack of institutional control” by UNC under NCAA rules. TCW WAS/IS UNC demonstrating and exercising total institutional control over a program that likely began innocently enough under DES but then morphed into a full athletics eligibility scheme.

Reply to  BobLee

“I don’t believe UNC Admin (“South Bldg”) had a clue what was going on all those years.” Excellent point I didn’t consider. Agreed that the tail (MBB) is wagging the dog. I know too many true believers in denial that have convinced themselves this was 100% FB driven by Butch Davis and a rogue (John Blake Who?) asst. FB coach. All that drama created for a 4 year 28-23 record? Highly doubtful.

Tin foil hat heel
Tin foil hat heel

Right or wrong the flagship was duty bound to play this to the bitter end. Even if the hammer had been laid down this would have dragged and the NCAA would have been put in a position to truly be exposed for the hypocrisy it represents. All this proves, much like OJ proved is that in many cases you can spend your way out of any misfortune. Among the neighbors the flagship will forever be UNC-CHeat but the rest of the world had pretty well forgotten already and now the page can finally be turned. YES you can beat city… Read more »

James Taylor
James Taylor

It appears to me that the NCAA has said to all universities, Go forth, create a Department of Athletic Studies, then you can design a curriculum mostly for athletes (with some other students allowed) in which classes are held in the gym, football field and once in a while in an actual classroom(film studies). No paperwork, no studying, just play ball and get a degree.

Ken
Ken

BL,

You just have to appreciate the UNC announcement from the NCAA on the same day NC State has a player ineligible for taking classes…….So damn funny

Bob Kennel
Bob Kennel

Just got home late Friday night and have read nothing but BL and friends comments. Wanted either Hammer of Thor to drop or nothing. The latter is not soul satisfying but longer term I will live with it because: 1. UNC-CH will have a permanent target on it’s back in each game for the obvious unfairness of it all. 2. The legal and public relations costs are sunk in 3. Their University leadership is permanently tarnished by reputation. 4. Roy will still have to deal with “dad-gummed junk” in his recruiting until he retires sooner than later 5. Biggest hurt… Read more »

Bob.Kennel
Bob.Kennel
Reply to  BobLee

The Scarlet Letter will last as long as I’m around ???? If I’m a Carolina fan I might feel relieved, but I sure wouldn’t feel good or justified.
As for Roy’s recruiting, there’s still a negative edge that’s not going away with the type of person I would want to be recruiting.
Also, Carolina now knows the world is watching even more closely for them doing something wrong.
Truly glad I’m not them ????

Reply to  Bob Kennel

What is going to be the real travesty is when a school that is “lesser” in stature (not that you can really get any lower) than UNC-Cheater gets busted for pretty much the same thing and has the book thrown at them. My guess is it will be NC State and the death penalty will be implemented by the schools choice…no lawerying up for them.

Dick Gray
Dick Gray

UNC: Cunningham told CBS Sports, “Is this academic fraud? Yes, it is by a normal person’s standards. But by the NCAA definition [it is not].” https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/north-carolina-ad-lays-out-academic-fraud-defense-ncaa-overcharged-tar-heels/

NCAA (channeling Johnny Cochran): If you don’t give a sh*t, you must acquit.

Ken
Ken

I completely agree with the NCAA’s decision. They agree that a degree from UNC is just as worthless for the general student as the student athlete.

Da judge in Charlotte
Da judge in Charlotte

I am reminded of the time Joe Namath was asked by a reporter if it was true that he took basket weaving at Alabama. Joe replied that Basket weaving was too tough so he majored in journalism. ????
Seriously, as a UNC grad, I find little to celebrate in the NCAA ruling. Except for a few undergrads, we can no longer claim we have student athletes.

ENC#1
ENC#1

I have one question for the NCAA …..what took so long? Great show by the NCAA gave all the ABCers hope but as we all know it is not over until the fat lady sings or an administrator/secretary says “I treat everybody the same”.

I was told one time many employees of the NCAA have law degrees…. so I guess the reason it took so long they wanted to make some money for a or several law firms…..I am starting to understand this organization known as the NCAA.

Reply to  ENC#1

Well, I think at some point we had to know the fix was in. Plus, how many of the NCAA lawyers were “educated” at UNC-Cheater? Think about that for awhile.

fayettewuf
fayettewuf
Reply to  BobLee

Of course all of that is true. Everyone is chasing the same people. They used to feature lineups of football players with their majors before big games on television. You would see a lot of players with the same major on lots of teams. It was seldom mathematics, electrical engineering, chemistry, pre-med or the like. Usually it was something like parks and recreation, sociology, communication or the like. I doubt if this has changed. I think UNC found its friendly major and exploited it much more than most. I think UNC attracted interest when it, for some reason, put Julius… Read more »

fayettewuf
fayettewuf
Reply to  BobLee

They were the ones that found Julius’ transcript and deduced it was indeed his. I am still marveling at the stupidity 1) of using a real student’s transcript and 2) picking his.

Reply to  BobLee

My favorite Tweet of the day about TGU comes from Alabama football writer Cecil Hurt. The irony of an Alabama Crimson Tide sportswriter jabbing UNC and the NCAA does not escape me.

“If this sort of outrage happens again I fully expect the NCAA to form a committee.”

Doug

Imagine my dismay that about the time this piece went up, we were taking off for a weekend at da beach. Traffic heading west was much greater than traffic heading east. And abracadabra, the NCAA moves on and poof, there also goes the Pulitzer opportunity for “that damn Dan Kane.” Do tell us more about Vince.

ultraviolet
ultraviolet

With apologies to Johnny Cochran, “Though the classes ain’t legit, you still must acquit!”

Ron Zwart
Ron Zwart

Wonder how long the SEC and the other football big boys decide to pull the plug and form their own rules and destroy the ncaa

Reply to  BobLee

Is there really any such thing as “eligible” at this point? Really, they have totally recused themselves from whether the athletes take a class or not. That said, I am not sure how they can insert themselves at NC State. The pack needs to lawyer up, and use this as a precedent.

MikeWolf
MikeWolf

Hey BobLee! The NCAA had a weak legal case, so I have no issue with its decision to drop its sword today. So, UNC’s actual punishment for an academic scandal that helped keep some players eligible in football and basketball was a 12-month probation in June 2015 by a University accreditation organization. It’s kind of hard to chant “accreditation probation” at UNC fans, and I didn’t even know how University accreditation worked until that happened. I suppose congrats are in order for UNC pulling off such a good scheme.

Dudley Moore
Dudley Moore

BL

To paraphrase Jerry Tarkanian, The NCAA was so mad at UNC for their bogus classes that they ruled an NC State freshman ineligible for attending a real class.

DM

OldWuf Vet
OldWuf Vet

I felt like our younger alumni and students were getting a little soft when it came to hatred of all things UNCheat. I think the UNC propaganda even had an effect on them. They didn’t understand us ’70’s and ’80’s alumni. This should help stoke the fires

DrJay
DrJay

I, and many UNCers, are not claiming that we are “not guilty” of anything. Certainly the University exercised little or no oversight over the AFAM department and classes for far too long, and that was not a good thing at all. And SACS did put the University on probation for that until they were convinced that it had been straightened out. Today’s ruling simply says this was outside the purview of the NCAA and that under its own rules the NCAA could not find anything it could punish. Again, it is not a ruling of “not guilty” – just that… Read more »

TJ,84
TJ,84

BL, are you a proponent of the theory that UNC BB’s popularity on TV was a factor in giving them a pass… just as they (NCAA) would do for Duke… or Kentucky?

Wolfdon
Wolfdon

As brilliant as you are, it didn’t take genius to see the OJ angle as I thought of that immediately……but then I don’t have a blog ????

fayettewuf
fayettewuf

Glad it is over. I got tired of reading the wild expectations of death penalties and banner burning a long time ago. My take is that in terms of preserving the symbols of athletic glory, the 20+million was well spent. The thing that surprised me was the apparent lack of resistance from the academic administration to having its reputation dragged through the sewer for the sake of athletics. Harvard of the South, Public Ivy and the Carolina Way are now punchlines. . I will be interested to see how schools that have been punished for far less impropriety over shorter… Read more »

Reply to  BobLee

My guess is they can try that defense, but the price of entry seems to be $20M….so there are many schools with lesser endowments and not state supported who cannot afford to spend that much. So sad.

Former96heel
Former96heel

So now the NCAA has stamped the precedent that an institution can get by with sham academics, as long as they include non-athletes (and it may also have to be in a Lib friendly major, not PE classes allowed)? It still has me shaking my head that only one chose to toss the academic reputation under the wheels to make some RC’ers feel better about their beloved MBB program. I do estimate the over 15,000 students took Drama 15 and/or 16 over the past twenty years as a GPA pad. Not many would know how many athletes were there, as… Read more »

Frank.Linstreet
Frank.Linstreet

Be honest BL. Did you have the OJ simile all prepared, ready to go weeks ao?

Jerry.in.Jersey
Jerry.in.Jersey

Didn’t The NCAA just tell every “member institution” how to avoid any/all eligibility issues in the future?

Sandinista
Sandinista
Reply to  BobLee

So where is your crusade against all the other schools who are already offering far easier classes? (Wait—easy classes? At a university? The horror!) It’s clear from your prose that you’ve at least read some books or maybe even took some classes on proper writing. At one point you likely even dreamt of becoming a proper writer. Pity that never worked out and now you’ve resorted to bitterly typing tripe like this for clicks on a blog. You’re too old to have been at Carolina when this first started, and you certainly weren’t there at the height of it, so… Read more »

bobh
bobh

If I were to send my diploma back as a sign of protest, to whom would I best send it?

Babs.in.Derm
Babs.in.Derm

I told a friend that I highly doubted we would get hit. NCAA postured as long as they could. It did come down to other students taking those classes. If the class had been strictly designated for athletes, may have been a different story. Not that this is right, but that’s how they got out of giving out sanctions. Yes, the ABCer’s are not happy on this Friday the 13th!

Babs.in.Derm
Babs.in.Derm
Reply to  BobLee

Wonder how pissed Rick Pitino is right now!

Setarcos
Setarcos

Lifetime ABCer here, but have a kid there so I’ve mellowed. Leaving the state for a few years and witnessing Alabama football fans up close and personal contributed greatly to my relaxed stance towards UNC. I have not studied all the aspects of this saga, but involving Af Am studies was pure genius …or the luckiest move ever. Sort of like a company using the poison pill strategy …make that multiple poison pills with nuclear backup. With that element in play, even with the best of intentions (I know that’s a stretch), there was no way the NCAA could navigate… Read more »

RowdyBlueTarHeeler

How long does UNC have to sue the ncaa for damages over their malfeasance?

DrVinnyboombatz
DrVinnyboombatz

Today’s ruling does not change both WHO and WHAT, the athletics department and booster club associated with a university located in Orange County, NC is, was and always will be.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

As previously posted….on one of your columns…. There was a higher probability that Gary Hahn (Voice of WPSN) could free climb the lighted RED Bell Tower and then shout “SCORE” for 45 minutes without taking a breath than that the NCAA would vacate anything…..which was meant to construe…..NOTHING…. There WILL be some interesting “student reactions” later this year. Nothing gained, but interesting. I guess that the $20 Million or so of “Non-Directed Excess Earnings” cash greased some skids. This is truly a sad day for college athletics. BUT, like HRC, UNC will never be CONVICTED. Probably gonna irritate a LOT… Read more »

JD
JD

The best thing about today was getting a text from a friend that is no fan of Tar Heel athletics telling me “The Hammer is going to fall today on UNC” literally 5 minutes before the news broke. This is the same friend that hit send on his text to me as Kris Jenkins turned loose of his title winning dagger with a LAUGHING EMOJI. Well he who laughs last laughs best! Yes we all know that UNC is guilty as Hell, and there is no justice in the world, but those are the breaks. The NCAA should re-write their… Read more »

DrVinnyboombatz
DrVinnyboombatz
Reply to  BobLee

OJ is a very correct comparison.

JD
JD

I like the Hillary comparison better. Guilty as Hell and above the law.

JP
JP
Reply to  BobLee

I see a RICO Act investigation in their future.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x