Who ARE Those Guys who…. ?

Butch Sundance
May15/ 2017

Who ARE Those Guys …. who actually watch ESPN daytime programming???

It was a classic line from a classic movie…. uttered by Butch Cassidy to the Sundance Kid referring to the persistent posse chasing them. The posse was led by Pinkerton agent Lord Baltimore. It’s a good line with many applications.

Today we apply it to a story that just won’t go away – Why ESPN is cutting off its nose to spite it’s ever-dwindling “bottom line”. Not only is all of sports media ablaze with the story; but the news and entertainment “blow-dried wretches” can’t get enough of it either.

ESPN’s aggressive “left-wing bias” may be the most fun to debate but it is a secondary contributor to its fiscal woes. The same can be said for “newspapers” in general. That 98% of failing “mainstream” (??) print media openly despises “the current administration and the 50% +/- of the country that support it” IS a factor in their growing irrelevance and fiscal peril, but not as much so as the socio-techno sea change in Information Distribution.

If ESPN CEO Skipper (UNC’75) jettisoned his “hit squad” of 6-8 SJWs (self-righteous Social Justice Warriors) the effects would be minimal at best to solving its vanishing viewership. With that as a premise….

Who Are Those Guys…. who actually do watch ESPN daytime programming?

Remember our trusted catch phrase: “All major college sports programs are corrupt EXCEPT OURS … All politicians are crooked EXCEPT THE ONES I VOTE FOR”.

Let’s add a PS to that – All Sports Fans are mouth-breathing cretins waiting on hold to get on Paul Finebaum Show EXCEPT ME AND MY BUDDIES. …… yeah…. Riiiiight!

Since the earliest days of this website coming up on TWENTY YEARS (YIKES!) one constant has been our alerting you to that abberant species known as “BoardMonkeys”. I’ll never forget one late December in our 3td or 4th year…. I had been beating the Beware of Board Monkeys drum pretty aggressively. My entreaties aroused the curiosity of one loyal reader – a highly respected practitioner of the medical arts – to the point he actually visited a sports fan message board of the fan base for his college program of choice.Zombies

“Oh My God…. WHO ARE THOSE PEOPLE?” he frantically emailed me. He went on to report that he had perused that fan site for 30 minutes and became so concerned about the fate of humankind that he feared the apocalypse was upon us. He became a permanent member of BLSays Board of Advisor Buddies. Together we monitor the arrival of “raining frogs” and “rivers of blood” as sports board monkeys have become the Walking Dead among us.

Board Monkeys get their daily marching orders from ESPN Mon-Fri day time programming. To be fair…. FoxSportsOne, ESPN’s only rival, is simply where Old ESPNers go when they fall out of favor with TeamSkipper. The various other “sports networks” are insignificant. The programming is inter-changeable.ModSquad

Remember the TV show Mod Squad from the early 70s? It’s catch phrase – One White… One Black… One Blond” has become the formula for daytime sports programming. Get a snarky white dude…. A jive-talking urban (i.e, Black) hipster (preferably an ex-jock)…. and put an “Eye Candy” Fantasy Chick between them.  For 10-12 hours/day have them beat dead horses such as Tim Tebow – Colin Kaepernick – Harden vs Westbrook for NBA MVP – et al infinitum

It is Jerry Springer Does Sports. If you can watch more than 30 minutes without your frontal lobe literally melting and leaking out of your ears…. You may have been born without a frontal lobe in the way some are born without tonsils or wisdom teeth.

I admit to watching “about an hour” of daytime sports TV other than when doing research for this column. I will turn to MLB.tv to get a recap of the previous day’s major league baseball goings on. MLB uses “beat reporters” / ex ballplayers / and “Eye Candy” too. I prefer to think the level of discussion is aimed several grade levels higher than ESPN / FSOne but you may disagree. Even so, “about an hour” is my limit.

To be fair…. These 24 hour sports channels have to have “something” on all-the-time. I have no suggestions to replace the current vapid options. There is obviously some demographic “out there” that this programming appeals to. I am grateful that my life orbit does not have any tangential contact whatsoever with “those guys” ….. whoever they may be.

##

BTW…. “My Cardinals” have gone from 2nd worst record in MLB in mid-April to “alone atop The NL Central Division” having just spanked The World Champions Cubs two out of three before capacity crowds in hallowed Busch Stadium. But, alas, “my Cards” are not without their liabilities. Newly acquired middle-reliever Brett Cecil has earned the nickname “Two Run Cecil”. If he gives up less than two runs in his one inning trainwreck appearances, the Birds’ bats can usually overcome his gopher balls. …. My boyhood idol Harper Cooper would still be in the big leagues at 75 hitting Brett Cecil.

Cecil Appearances notwithstanding, I continue to totally enjoy “watching baseball” without the daily W-Ls adversely affecting my life up or down.

Conversely…. I have NOT watched more than five minutes total of “The NBA” this season including The Playoffs. I am confident I can maintain this pace. Again…. my personal preference not suggesting it should be yours. I am not “boycotting” or “making a statement”. Simply exercising my available options.

##

Speaking of Outrageous Sports News…. Surely you have heard that one of UNCCH’s  Power Five Jim DelanyCommissioner Twins – Jim Delany – Hit The Jackpot this week. Johnny Swofford’s classmate at UNC in the late 60s and Big Ten Commish since 1989…. Delany “earned” a $20,000,000 “bonus” this week. That makes his annual $2.5M salary seem paltry by comparison.

Am I the only one to make the comparison of Delany’s $20M bonus to the +/- $20M that his alma mater has spent so far defending / covering up its Greatest Eligibility Scandal in NCAA History. When/If all is ever said/done UNCCH’s total should far surpass Delany’s windfall.

I wonder if Jim Delany is, like me, often derided for being “a friend of Art Chansky”?

##

Some of you may have received a “hacked” email NOT “from me” a day or so ago. These things are unavoidable in today’s computer world. (1) I NEVER send anything with No Subject Line plus…. (2) I NEVER would send a link without some specific explanation of why I am sending it.

AND: ALWAYS check the FROM e-address if it seems suspicious.   If any doubt – DELETE!

##

HE’S BACK …. LOCKED & LOADED – LINK

WhosBack

##

Tags:
  • Cricket Ball Supplier Reply
    6 days ago

Cricket Ball Specialist We supply cricket balls in United Kingdom, Australia & the World.

• @CarolineduRosso Reply
    2 weeks ago

Unfortunately most of the “eye candy” had a ‘sell by’ date sometime in the ’90s. Many are probably grandmothers. That should give you a clue as to who watches ESPN’s daytime programming.

2 weeks ago

I’m not sure we are talking about the same “eye candy”. The ones moderating the rant-o-thons seem to be in their early 30s and of the borderline “trollop” variety.

• JD Reply
    2 weeks ago

Who Are Those Guys…. who actually do watch ESPN daytime programming? Guys that should be at work or out looking for a job. If you are retirement age you are watching FOX NEWS daytime programming.

2 weeks ago

It may surprise you that I hardly ever “watch Fox News”. That will shock those who conveniently label me “a crazy right-winger”. I’m a “crazy Anti-Liberal”. There IS a difference.
      Reruns of the various NCISs and of Blue Blood are nice viewing options. I will even watch HSN or QVC. I never buy anything… don’t even know how to. I’m awed at the skill of their “pitchers”…. the pretty ladies and handsome men that pitch their products for hours without taking a breath. How do dey do dat ?? NatGeo… History Channel and Smithsonian can be good too. The Ghost Channel and that 24/7 “All Hitler Stuff” channels are scary.

• Down East Heel Reply
    2 weeks ago

What does a conference commissioner do to “earn” a $20 million bonus?

You’re 5 minutes ahead of me when it comes to watching the NBA playoffs. 🙂

2 weeks ago

He (Delany) cut a TV deal that earns each BT school $40M/year. The “bonus” was their Thanks Jim.

• Down East Heel Reply
        2 weeks ago

Better get while he can.

Congrats on the recovery. Looking forward to AP coming out of hibernation. He’s got a lot of catching up to do.

2 weeks ago

Tomorrow (Tues) could be The Day!

• TheCowdog Reply
          2 weeks ago

Gotta lotta ‘splainin’ to do.

• Terri.P Reply
    2 weeks ago

Only BobLee can include The Mod Squad and Lord Baltimore into a sports column and it make total sense.

2 weeks ago

As long as it makes sense to you and me, thats all that matters. Surely everyone remember – One White – One Black – One Blond ???

• triheel Reply
    2 weeks ago

Is Brett Cecil the replacement for Seth Maness? Do you know if Seth is still in the league and if so how he is doing?

2 weeks ago

Seth was picked up by the Royals. Don’t know his current status. Seth is a right-hander so no re: Cecil. Cecil got a 4-year $30M free agent deal to be the middle relief left-hander. He admits his performance to date has been “embarrassing”. Cardinal fans agree. Tough Bizness!

• ultraviolet Reply
      2 weeks ago

Seth Maness is on the Royals roster, but haven’t seen any appearances yet. This article is linked detailing his elbow issues and a new procedure in lieu of Tommy John.

2 weeks ago

I knew about his unique surgery. He got caught in a numbers game w/ Cards. Too many RH middle relievers… several without the arm issues. If arm is OK he should have a good MLB career but likely with lots of moves.

2 weeks ago

ESPN Daytime….except for an event that I might want to watch, it is strictly evening or late night (insomnia cure) fodder. The “6:00” show with the four or five idiots that they promo’ed was asinine. Reminded me of “The Talk or View” or whatever. At least the ESPN clowns, in the promo, WERE in costume. Should be a requirement for ALL such programs…and I am not exempting the haloed ones that Fox has on. I also look forward to Kimberly G. replacing Trump’s clown now. I think that she has enough moxie to handle the motley WHPC….and they will, at least, for a while, be a little less aggressive. She could be the cousin of Tom Keen’s mom on the Black List Whatever.

I have mixed feelings about the NBA. Last year I did watch as I had become a Curry fan. Not so much this year. Kerr and PopOffValve should understand that folks will watch the NBA for on the court activities….not their socio-eco-eviro-whatever empty headed comments.

As to Jim “Show Me the Money” Delaney’s bonus. That should be (but will not be) a Poster Boy for what is wrong with College Sports today. From the NCAA’s OWN books (if you dig enough), the Indianapolis Sports Cartel has over ONE BILLION in “reserves”. Why do they need Reserves? Who will get the benefit of it (DUMB QUESTION…..I admit)? SO, not surprising that the Big Ten paid out the big bucks. A few “supposed” GOOD sources commented that the ACC has an equally large petty cash kitty….prorated of course. WHY does Swoff need a quarter or so Billion? Is he going to make a purchase of a smaller conference? If the ticket prices for the NCAA events were backed down, there MIGHT be a bit more attendance. The NCAA BB tourney regional prices and sweet sixteen are astronomical….as is the merchandise and the food. More MONEY for the Reserves.

Reminds me of the article last week where the major unions bemoaned the salaries and bonuses of “Management” of the large corporations, but somehow forgot to put in a disclaimer that the Union CEO’s and staff were equally overpaid and the Union had a “Lock” on the dues. Guess the Liberal Media didn’t have enough space left for THEIR salaries…

I DO think that ESPN will stay the course….especially if the rumors of Isner (CEO – Disney) are true and he wants to use HIS star power in the Left to seek the WH gig. At least the DNC will not be in as much control of who THEY run.

Last…but certainly not least….how goeth the recovery. Have you stabilized yet? Share if you feel comfortable….hope things are healing as expected.

2 weeks ago

I started driving again this past weekend which is a milestone in my recovery. Still improving !!!
      LOTS of eyebrows being raised ober Delany’s Windfall …. but nothing will come from it. Each BT school gets $40M /per year from the TV deal he got for them.

• Former96Heel Reply
        1 week ago

I have heard several distant rumbles that eventually former college FB players will have a class-action concussion lawsuit akin to the NFL one. Given the sheer volume of players that may cover, the Big 10, and every other league would be well suited to have their war chest to the brim for such a day.
        I can see the ads on ESPN now, from the same lawyers hawking mesothelioma settlements today.

1 week ago

Yep. And such a class action suit may well be “justified”. Big Time College FB is no different from The NFL as far as preferring to hide its liabilities. Football at any level is a High Risk Activity ….
          “Former96”: Do you think “most fans” give a damn about player safety versus their entertainment ?

• Former96Heel
            1 week ago

Sadly, no. I think some fans would watch Roman gladiators versus the lions if it were popular and televised. I am guessing Ultimate Fighting is where Nascar was 15 years ago in their popularity curve. It certainly is not popular due to it being PC.
            I am not sure how I would quantify “some”, as I find it hard to believe >50% of the fans like seeing players injured, but sports business seems to always target the marginal fan….the next one they can capture, not the loyal fan.
            One shot last year had me questioning the NFL. Watching Luke Keuchly cry uncontrollably was something very uncomfortable for me. I have no suggestions or solutions. Speed and size make football a dangerous sport. Rule changes do not guarantee safety, and I can only guess the envelope of equipment design has already been pushed. I do know that moment cemented that my son will never play football.

1 week ago

I’ve had a Future of Football column “in production” for some time. Maybe its time to post that one. We agree!

2 weeks ago

Any comment I’d make on what ESPN does “off-game” wouldn’t be fair. I do not normally watch anything resembling pre-game shows or sportsainment and rarely view anything post-game for more than 5 minutes. I’m just glad there isn’t of this programming on HGTV. Maybe you need TRBK to sort this out for you.:-/

2 weeks ago

No peep from TRBK…. yet. ESPN is not on my “gotta have” list and hasn’t been for some time. I’m not in their “target market” strategy.

• Former96Heel Reply
    2 weeks ago

My line of work often brings me to places where the TV plays in the background while customers wait (think the oil change place). More often than not, I see it on the Weather Channel now. The folks who work there can hardly stand ESPN any more than the ladies talk shows. Ten years ago, they could handle hour after hour of repeat of yesterday’s games. Today, they would rather have a 6x an hour repeat of the local forecast accompanied by inoffensive music.
    Technological change made the downfall unavoidable, but dismissing 50% of your base hastened the arrival. How much $ has McClatchy or Gannett thrown away by insulting their readers every single day for, well forever? It made going without a newspaper an easy task. Had they been centered, it could have made the newspaper an alternative to news delivery, and also advertising, instead of a vestige of days past.

2 weeks ago

When I’m at “the oil change place” and the waiting area TV is on something I find personally “offensive” I will often ask if I can change to The Weather Channel. I’ve never been denied.
      As for running off 50% of ones potential market, I attribute that to media executives blindness to changing market options. They still think the past several decades of drowning in red ink is temporary. They dismiss those 270+ electoral votes as an aberration. My well-known beef with Roy is not his personal politics at all. But rather him using his bully pulpit to cram them down my throat. With Kennel it was him expecting special privilege to be above opposing POV.