Sports, Presidents, DEATH PENALTIES…. and Good Books

Wallace Loh
April19/ 2017

Re: Sports / Presidents / Death Penalties … and some really good books

My apology for being absent the past ten days. I’m still in recovery mode from my retina detachment surgery and creating BLSays columns is just enough of a hassle to “put off until tomorrow”. Alas…. “stuff happens” regardless and you get abandoned to your own opinions on said stuff’s relative Good / Bad / Ugly. That is unfair for those of you who use my opinion as the benchmark for Right / Wrong / just STOOPID.

FWIW…. My vision recovery is “on schedule” which has always been 8-10 weeks. My team of world-class Duke Eye Docs keep making positive sounds when they look thru those eye-machines. Not being able to drive or read menus are the two biggest hassles. “Optical Optimism” is the order of the day. ….. meanwhile:

##

That Univ of Maryland President said …..
It’s not that UNCCHers needed ANOTHER President to hate with the misguided passion of 1,000 suns. President Trump continues to be filling that role very well for the terminally constipated Franklin Street crowd. But move over Donald and make room for Univ Maryland Prez Wallace Loh.   Wallace Loh

Surely you saw/read/heard what Prez Wallace Loh said last week about The Great Unpleasantness a/k/a TGU. “My buddy” Art Chansky certainly did and Art’s venom-dripping “HOW DARE HE…..” editorial on WCHL no doubt was red meat for the rabid feral Chapel Hill bunch – Art’s WCHL audience.

But BobLee…. Prez Loh appears to be of “Pacific Rim Heritage”.   Isn’t UNCCH all in on “diversity”? ….. Normally yes, but when it comes to being called out for their outrageous Eligibility Scam all that diversity crap gets discarded really quickly.   Hypocrisy is never in short supplu “over there”.

But BobLee…. If Wallace Loh was “a trany” would they cut he/she a break?    Probably, who knows but we are getting off-topic here.

No one really knows why Wallace Loh chose to say what he said; but aren’t we all delighted that he did.   OK…. maybe not everyone, but I certainly am.

Prez Loh thinks UNC’s well-documented lengthy litany of world-class academic/athletic transgressions merits THE DEATH PENALTY. He is hardly alone in that assessment but he is/was the first “President” to publicly say so.

NOTE: I am still undecided on a proper punishment for “The Most Blatant Example of Lack of Institutional Control in NCAA History”. I stop short of THE DEATH PENALTY…. but not by much. But, of course, I am not “President” of anything so Joel Curran doesn’t care what I think, nor should he since I don’t care what he thinks either.

One cannot consider Prez Loh’s “He Said WHAT” without including the oh-so-predictable immediate response from Joel Curran – UNCCH’s notorious $400,000/year Vice Chancellor of Humiliating Scandal Cover-upl Joel Curran& Hiring Fancy NYC PR Firms to Advise UNCCH on Scandal Damage Control. Vice Chancellor Curran says Maryland Prez Loh has no right to express his opinion “because ……..”.

Joel’s harrumphing “because” sounded like “Three Ring Roy” explaining why bumblebees can’t fly. Wonder what a $200,000/year Vice Chancellor of Humiliating Scandals might have said?

So Prez Loh said…. and Vice Chanc Joel said….. and Art said…. and now I’ve said…. so TGU will go back into hibernation until someone else says something OUTRAGEOUS…. And we will all queue up to comment on that.

Oh… Oh …. Oh …. Did I mention that UNC Coach Roy “Gomer” Williams called Maryland President Loh “a double idiot”. If anyone should know “idiots” it’s Ol’ Roy.Sheriff Peppers

Q: BobLee, did you ever imagine that the actor who played “Sheriff Pepper” in two James Bond movies would die before TGU would be resolved?  ….. A:  NO ONE could have imagined THAT.

Meanwhile…. “that other President” is hosting the New England Patriots today at The White House.

Former NE Tight End (and convicted murderer) Aaron Hernandez will not attend. Aaron Hernandez hung himself in his prison cell last night. What a coincidence… huh?

As all of ESPN CEO John Skipper (UNC’75) staff of on-air sock puppets will be telling you today….. “Not attending the traditional White House ceremony honoring national sports champions because one is a brain-dead Trump-hater is a wonderful thing to do.”

John Skipper’s ESPN on-air sock puppets, of course, said otherwise when the previous regime was in-office. You knew that but it is always good to remind ourselves.

Rule Of Thumb = high profile athletes, coaches and other entertainers SHOULD be politically out-spoken …. So long as their political opinions agree with the political opinions of the ESPN on-air sock puppets…. Otherwise they should be ridiculed and insulted. Just ask Rory McElroy.

IMO:  Roy Williams is a terrific basketball xoach and a babbling jackass regardless of his opinions about anything.  Can you imagine the reaction in Chapel Hill if Roy The Babbling Jackass was Pro-Trump !!!!

BobLee Says: The White House Invitation to Championship Sports Teams “jumped the shark” about ten years ago. It belongs alongside the AMC Pacer, corfam shoes, Nehru jackets and any more Fast & Furious sequels….. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Remember right after my retina detachment when I reordered my daily regimen to exclude as much negative / unpleasant influences as possible? …. i.e. Blondie gives me a 2-minute political update at 8 AM and that’s IT for the day.

It is a wonderful concept and you don’t require a detached retina to implement it.

I almost included Cardinal games on my Exclude List as they “stumbled out of the gate”; but they are showing signs of Life so I remain ever-faithful…. For now.

One “influence” is my choice of audio-books. If one’s choice of reading / listening material is negative or otherwise depressing it drags one down. Why choose to be dragged down ???

So…. I looked for what I call Indiana Jones / Clive Cussler-type adventures.  Avid readers of action fiction know what a Clive Cussler-type story is. If I haven’t read/listened to every Dirk Pitt / Juan Cabrillo / Issac Bell story I haven’t missed more than 1-2.

I found a terrific series by David L. Golemon starring Colonel Jack Collins and his Event Group spec ops team. Yes, it is a “formula” series and predictably enjoyable much like Bond movies. …. And Indiana Jones / Lara Croft adventures. If you don’t care for those for whatever reasons, you won’t care for The Event Group either.

Google David L. Golemon you will find the 10+ book series. I strongly recommend reading them in chronological order. He develops the characters thru each new adventure.

Very similar to Cussler’s Dirk Pitt adventures, each adventure takes place in today’s time but relates back to some ancient historical event – Atlantis…. The Knights Templar… et al. The mega-villains are Bondian in their over-the-top almost cartoon “baddiness”.Event Group

Did you know….  a tribe of super Werewolves helped the Israelites escape from Egypt…. and Sasquatch helped the Romanoffs get out of Russia?   Col Jack Collins and Carl and Will and “Shoty Stuff” and Nils and Alice and “Matchstick” kick bad guy butt …..

I thoroughly enjoyed the intrepid “Colonel Jack Collins & The Event Group” adventures. Maybe you will too.

##

• JD Reply
    1 month ago

I remember a few years ago a Boston Bruins player refused to go visit the White House because he opposed obama and every single person on ESPN trashed him. He was one of those “right wing tea party crazies”. Oh but now not going shows how incredibly smart and courageous you are. I think if you are invited to the White House you should go out of respect for the office.

1 month ago

The abject hypocrisy of the rabid American Left rank&file still amazes me… and I’ve observed it for quite a few years. Without the 24/7 support of “the media”, liberalism would shrivel and dry up in a week. Two weeks max.

1 month ago

It’s a scientifically proven phenomenon that in older adults, longterm exposure to Corfam and Ban-Lon are leading causes for terminal liberalism. It’s also been known to cause hippyish behavior, mainly in caucasians such as acting a fool, congregating in masses, following false prophets, white guilt, being terminally offended, and in extreme cases, dry humping in public places.:-D

YIKES! …. WHO KNEW! 🙂

• Doug
            1 month ago

Besides, Ban-Lon is not advisable for males with man breasts.

1 month ago

BL or other well informed insiders,

Assuming that President TRUMP follows protocols and does not harbor the same snooty and high faulting prejudices that the impotent Left zealots doooo….. Will Bubba and Carol and ORW accept the WH invite and go to D.C? Or will the TGU and working on the next pack of lies for the NCAA be too daunting for their resources and they will not RSVP?

1 month ago

I have not calculated the odds. Could UNCCH be the first institution (tax-supported public institution) to actually turn down a Trump WH invite ??? I think they ARE indeed tone-deaf enough to do that. And the NCGA / BOG will then respond HOW ????

• Former96Heel Reply
    1 month ago

I had to reference the google on Corfam as well. I’m sure my older brothers were in shiny white ones for Easter at some point in that time. If you were so inclined, I can bet a local Goodwill has some around. Those things probably would outlive a nuclear strike in someone’s attic, where the Earth Shoes may actually dry rot beyond donation recognition.
    I belly laughed at the visual of trying to walk in August heat on the golf course in those old poly shirts. Thank you for providing the forum!
    If TGU were at South Michigan A&T or some other backwater DIII school, it would be the death penalty. For any big 5 school, and especially one that may actually be close to being in the black financially, AND has Nike, ESPN and other deep pockets behind them, they will escape death. The same would be true for Maryland if the shoe were on their foot. It doesn’t make it right, but it’s the state of affairs in semi-pro college athletics. I’m sure the majority of academics feel the same. Booster shenanigans are one thing, but if you sully the school’s academic reputation, as if they were actually making Swahili interpreters out of defensive linemen, and the gray beards take it personal.

1 month ago

The whole ooey gooey TGU mess has so many discussion points… none of which elevate the human species.

• TheCowdog Reply
    1 month ago

You finally sent me to Google, man.
    I can’t recall a single reference to anything you’ve ever proclaimed from obscurity that hung me up, until today.

Clearly, flip- flops were never Corfam.

” The Tender Bar ” …J.R. Moehringer. I have no idea how I missed this, until now. It might be on audio…Don’t know.

1 month ago

Wonder what a pair of corfam shoes goes for on Ebay these days ??? They were the Herpes of footwear… they NEVER wear out. All I remember is polishing them with Vaseline.

• Myowngrandpaw Reply
    1 month ago

Oh the egregious acts of Kelvin Sampson texting recruits during the cooling off period. Got Indiana three years probation as an assistant. And fired as OK coach. ANY school or coach should have UNC lawyers on retainer. Now if only I could find a way to get Mizzou in trouble for stealing our prize guard recruit!

1 month ago

Illegal texts, slices of pizza and a bus ticket to grandmama’s funeral are NCAA Felonies. UNC’s mountain of crap is “who cares, really?”

1 month ago

Glad you are healing in accordance with the Gods expectations.

Was waiting for a commentary on ORW double idiot outburst. You pretty much covered the bases. He besmirched a PhD….who probably supported HRC and LBGTQX rights and set up many sand boxes and play dooh counseling sessions on November 9. Not to mention his ethnicity and heritage. But that is ORW.

The Kinston plant extruded so many billion meters of fiber, that the pump manufacturer based in Boston had a rebuild and repair shop in Aberdeen. Proximity to Southern Pines and its social strata was the primary factor in site location.

I remember that every magazine had a wear like iron never wrinkle miracle fabric pants ad. The pants would almost stand up by themselves and you needed to don the equivalent of panty hose lest your legs got scratched akin to wearing a thorny crown.

In the 60’s, it was 100% natural Egyptian or Indian madras cotton garments…..then we improved our life through science….

1 month ago

Kinston Dupont Plant finally closed its doors about 15 years ago. Dupont coming to Kinston waa akin to IBM coming to Raleigh in early 60s.

• Robert Kennel Reply
    1 month ago

Good to read your written word. Even agree on all matters TGU, and NOT because I’m NC State but just because I’ve run into like-minded idiots all my life.
    So glad Duke continues to provide positive prognostications.
    Have written several responses on other issues on my desktop that never got through. Probably just as well.
    Only item in the article I question is how Blondie can collapse into 2 minutes the daily Trump bloopers and mental tweets.🤓

1 month ago

Cards swept Pitts today. Three straight Ws scoring no more than 2 runs/game. Take’em any way we can get’em.

• Dudley More Reply

BL,

You wrote corfam shoes, and my mind went immediately to Ban-Lon shirts — I think they were of about the same era. I remember those shirts were the rage for about ten minutes, which was long enough for me to talk my parents into buying me one (forest green, as I remember, with a stylish crew neck). I compounded that mistake by wearing the shirt for a golf outing on a hot, humid August day in North Carolina. As I was carrying my bag, I think I made it to the third hole before I discovered that the shirt not only didn’t breathe, but also scratched to high hell when combined with about two gallons of sweat. Having no option but to remove the offending garment, I made it to the turn before an alert junior assistant pro invited me to leave the golf course due to dress code violation. Talk about a humiliating “great unpleasantness”….

DM

1 month ago

YES !!! Ban-lon and corfam were indeed from the same fashion era – late 60s-early 70s. “Fashion thru Chemistry”. I think I had one in “all the colors” as I recall.

• Harry.76 Reply
    1 month ago

BL: IF Marvin had never hit SEND nine years ago and that led to TGU etc etc etc ….. what would Joel Curran be doing these days?

1 month ago

“IF Marv had never hit SEND” can lead to all sorts of What Ifs. Where would The Butcher be now? NOT at a community college in Ft Lauderdale thats for sure. …. Where would Vice Chanc Joel be? Probably still at his Big Time NYC PR firm waiting for people like him to call them to help cover-up embarrassing scandals in their institutions and companies/ Chancellor Chihuahua would still be at Dartmouth and Holden probably still in South Bldg. …. Dan Kane would be long gone from The N&O as they have jettisoned most of their higher paid reporters in recent years.

1 month ago

I’m willing to bet not a single column, blog post, opinion piece, technical manual, etc in America has mentioned Corfam in at least 25 years or maybe even longer. I’m the idiot that bought a pair of Corfam shoes in the early 70’s and wore them for about a week before tossing them out before my feet burned up. Burned once but not twice. Avoiding the double idiot label at least on that front. Corfam also reminded me of the time long ago as I was driving through West Virginia past midnight on my way to Kentucky in the days before automobiles were equipped with FM radio. I was listening to a static filled AM station out of Wheeling and this tent preacher was soliciting donations for himself. For a $20 donation he would pray for you and also promised to send listeners a real, genuine, artificial, imitation leather bill wallet with his monogram on it.

Ain’t it amazing that hearing something about your past or seeing one written word can conjure up long forgotten memories. That’s one reason I read your stuff BobLee. Now that I commented on everything except your current subject you can carry on. 😎 I hope those positive sounds coming from the docs materializes into positive results.

1 month ago

Did you polish those Corfam shoes with Vaseline? …. Back in “those days” Kinston’s Dupont Plant was producing bazillions of strands of POLYESTER for leisure suits and Lord knows what else.
      I betcha Roy still has his corfam loafers.