Random Thoughts About Basketball ….

Final Four
March27/ 2017

Random Thoughts About Basketball …..

Am I the only one who thinks Luke Maye looks like “Ryan” the son-in-law on Last Man Standing?

To “the average UNCCH fan” is UNC being “in” as enjoyable as Duke – Kansas – Kentucky being “out”?Bing Crosby

Gonzaga’s two “most famous alumni” are John Stockton and “some guy named  Bing Crosby”. 96% of ESPN viewers have never heard of “some guy named Bing Crosby”.

IF South Carolina would defeat UNC in The Finals would some Dean Dome nitwits call for Roy’s head on a platter?

Archie Miller goes to Indiana. Is there now an official We Hate Archie club at NC State?

When Kentucky was roaring back with 3:00 minutes to go, I came up with Roy’s opening line in his post-game presser – “We won the popular vote.” ….. Thankfully for all concerned that was not necessary.

My thoughts on Roy on/off the court are a matter of record. I do find the current players very easy to like. The Crime & Punishment Due for TGU notwithstanding, there is no reason to assume these current players are guilty of anything. But “hated rivals” won’t see it that way.Ashley Judd

Am I the only one wondering if the TV cameras would find Ashley Judd in the arena? Am I the only one glad they did not?

Duke’s Jason Tatum is One&Done. I had not even thought about that… I will NEVER like that. Assuming Justin Jackson is “gone”; does Joel Berry stay?

I’m not a believer in referee conspiracies but apparently “many viewers” think “they” were against Kentucky in the first half. I’m guessing Ashley Judd thinks the refs should be “impeached” or “assassinated”.

Mark Few always comes across as a really good guy. He wins without 5-stars and giant hot tubs in the locker room. I like that.

Given a choice of watching (1) NIT Basketball …. (2) NCAA Women’s Tournament …. (3) the obnoxious father of the UCLA player …. Or (4) an all-day marathon of Swamp People – I vote for Troy and his Bayou buddies versus the gators.

Will the national media “pimp” Roy to say something dopey this week? They won’t need to… he will anyway.

That all four Finals’ teams are built around upperclassmen a repudiation of One & Done Recruiting? That’s a nice thought, but no.

Is Bill Self or John Calipari catching more fan wrath? I would say Self but both will survive just fine.

Clemson won the FB National Championship.  Now USC has a shot at the BB Championship. Is South Carolina the State of Champions?

A recent Damn Dan Kane article says UNCCH has spent $16,000,000 so far fighting the NCAA over TGU. Is that a little or a lot and where did it come from ???

Is there a formal name for the AfAm hairstyle favored by Joel Berry and many others?

I still despise that ATT commercial with the obnoxious Karaoke guy. The ones with Charles, Spike and Samuel L are funny the first 30 times.

Various cable channels were counter programming for non-basketball fanFredos. I DVRed Godfather II. Even more so than Godfather I, every time I watch it I pick up something I missed in earlier watching. It still does not end well for “Fredo”. Fredo sleeps with the fishes in Lake Tahoe.

##

• triheel Reply

I have been waiting for someone to use the “Cool Hand Luke” moniker which should be his nickname. They could have said “what we have here is a failure to communicate on Kentucky defense”. Guess it shows my age.

The most creative UNC fans can be is “Luuuuuke”.

• B.B. Key Reply

MY name for those AfAm haircuts is the Buckwheat ( ref. Little Rascals)

Speaking of old things on tube….Spike,Charles and Samuel L. are the 2017 version Algonquin J. Calhoun, Kingfish, and Andy

YIKES! I’d hadn’t thought of that but I can see the parallels. I bet Chuck, Sam and Spike had not thought of it either.

You must an IST of the highest order. Little Rascals and Amos & Andy are rooted in the 50’s and 60’s and PRE>PRE>PC.
      To avoid conflicts, you must sign up for a “I am WHITE Supremicist Person”. Check out UNC or Duke or NCSU. ALL have these “seminars” and you can chose the radical (where you go through the 12 Step Rehab program) to the more moderate one. Step one is to divest yourself all all assets and become destitute. Rev BB has the franchise rights on that one. It is simple….Sell all your worldly possessions (Car, house, stocks, bonds, RV, boat, guns, WHITE ONLY CC Memberships, etc.). THEN write Rev BB a personal check for same amount.

Buckwheat is so “60’s” and IST. Can you even find the Little Rascals on TV or YouTube or Hulo or Hello Oldies or whatever?

IF you are of the UNC Vein, then ORW will castigate you as it is as IST as HB2 Support and he will use his Red Ryder Daisy BB Gun to shoot your eyes out so that you can SEE the truth….

I am a board certified Not PC-use.

This just in….

Ex NCSU BB Coach MG just updated his resume and added “No Cool AFAM Haircut Players” to his top 5 list of why he did not win but 4 ACC games.

WPN is taking up collection to run a full page USAToday ad extolling how great a coach he was so that he will be hired and decrease/eliminate our financial liability to Him, Elizabeth (Ex)) and GF (FIB).

Does MG’s buyout include a ESPN analyst gig? Dino and Seth seem to be doing well with theirs.

• Dale Madren Reply

Re. Berry’s haircut, I believe that is known as The Duke Starting Five haircut, from 2015. At least, it is close to that. As “they” say, you can look it up!

I am fascinated by how cultural fads like hairstyles get started and then spread. Did some “famous rapper” sport that style or some other iconic trendsetter ???

• Porgie Reply

The video of Maye was posted on Facebook earlier today with the caption of something like ‘where was Luke Maye at 8AM this morning after hitting the game winner? In his 8AM class’. He did have a good looking stroke on that shot. Was the videoer still part of the class checks that were instituted several years back to insure that classes did meet, students were in the classes and there was an instructor at UNC-CH? Wonder of anyone has a picture of Rashad in class that would refute his claim of making 4 As and never attending class in the Spring semester of I believe 2009?? Just saying…. The jury is split about 50/50 on Archie – part do well, part never win another game in his life. Most of the venom is toward Dad John. Ask me in 3 years if Keatts is a good hire. I still plan to be in my seat at PNC offering up my ‘coaching wisdom’ to him.

Lots of differences between Maye and McCants. (2005) you and BK are true red Wolfpackers!

If things work out – a UNC and USC win – Monday night could be epic for me and my boys. Usins’ are taking a road trip to Augusta National for the Tuesday practice round. We booked rooms in Columbia days ago for Monday night before taking the short hop to the Bobby Jones – Clifford Roberts re-tooled azalea and dogwood patch. If the Heels and Gamecocks are playing we might need a safe place to watch. For me it’s much more about road tripping and spending time with the now grown boys than my first time seeing Augusta National.

There was a neat short video someone posted of Luke Maye getting a standing ovation at his 08:00 business class this morning. BTW there probably is an official we hate Archie Miller’s dad NCSU faction. Something about not trusting the top guys in the university. OUCH!! BK is likely in the bunker planning a hit on Mr. Miller.

Ones first trip to Augusta is unforgettable.

• 70sTarheel Reply

I am an alum of both UNC & USC so I would be happy to see both make the final. Having said that, I grew up (and remain) a Tarheel fan and still suffer trauma from the 1971 ACC championship game. Jump ball with seconds left (back when they still jumped). Our 6-10 Lee Demon was out jumped by 6-3 Kevin Joyce who tapped it to a teammate for a layup, the win and USC’s only ACC tournament Championship. Only the tourney champ went to the NCAA then.

Lee Dedmon’s jump will live forever.

• JD Reply

Speaking of commercials during the tournament what do you think of the State Farm commercial with the man so full of “white guilt” he has to either adopt a dog or jump off a bridge? Oh my it makes me laugh.

There is political bias inmost ads these days.

• JD Reply

The last I heard Ashley Judd was terrified at the SEC Tournament when a man came up to her and said he supported Trump. I guess she is in her safe space now and won’t be coming back to watch Kentucky play. http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/03/14/ashley-judd-scared-man-who-said-we-trump-basketball-game-facebook-post

Ms Judd might’ be more comfortable as a UNC fan. 😳

• Down East Heel Reply

If you think of baseball, football and basketball as the big three men’s college sports, the state of South Carolina is 2 games away from a three-peat.

Now that Zaga is in the Final Four who is the best coach not to make the Final Four?

Seth Miller.

• dscienceguy Reply

Did you mean Sean Miller (Arizona)?

Technically, BL, I think that Devilsh Dan Kane reported $18 Million for TGU. Maybe due to you vision problems (which I sincerely hope are improving and you are healing well), there was a typo. NOW to put this in perspective. UNC Students RAISE $420,000 for UNC Hospital.

It seems that the UNC folks have spent 43 TIMES as much as the Students RAISED on Legal Fees for TGU. That has GOT to be worthy of a Votive Candle Service….

NOW, I KNOW that you know this….but for the record…

Rather dry and good for insomnia, but scroll down to section 2.2. This “Unrestricted Excess Earnings” is the Slush Fund or the “Petty Cash”. It would appear that the founders of the UNC Foundation’s Chapel Hill Fund took advantage of some loose tax laws and the “BOGEY” for Excess is about where the prime rate is. NOW, if you also read the UNC CH Fund financials, my hat is off to the fund managers (highly compensated….they ARE). They invest in everything from Gold to Start-up’s to Development Projects to whatever, as well as the typical equities and such.

As to Archie of IU fame, his dad does like to talk. Did Sean REALLY say that he was slated for UNC or Duke? Obviously daddy needs to be texting more with his sons. YES, there is a decided Yow got to GO; Yow was too CHEAP; Yow blew it:….etc faction. However, they have not yet geled or organized a formal Website or a Change.Org petition. I CAN assure you that AD Yow does not put much credence in idle prattle and would quickly respond if they clicked “why did you NOT hire Archie” emails. She is not one to ignore emails….even in the wee hours of the morning….positive or negative. She does NOT tweet like certain folks that exude confidence….but maybe will later on.

Archie KNEW about the support was directed at former AD Lee “I KNOW basketball” Fowler who did nothing to encourage Herbie to RECONSIDER….I think the last words that Lee uttered when Herbie left was about the door and where not to let the door knob enter a body cavity.

538 has Zag @ 42%; UNC @ 24%; Ducks at 21% and USC Cocks @ 14%. NOW, Mr. infallible 538 also had HRC as a 95% DONE DEAL right up to 8:45 PM on November 8….so place your wagers wisely. Hypothetically, if ORW scores another RING….then will the NCAA be more inclined to vacate past ones and force some banner redecorating in the Nose Dome?

Come to think about it, ORW is looking MORE and MORE like Yoda. Maybe he was chanting…”Use the Force, Luke….USE the Friggin’ FORCE…”

I predict it will be well over 25 million with all the appeals.

• Former96Heel Reply

Who knew that the Gamecocks have a Corchiani on their roster? Does this make them the vicarious ABC squad?

Maybe ABNC?

• robedixon Reply

I find some pleasure in a guy who almost ended with nothing more than a “preferred walk on” tag is being celebrated this morning. Not to mention from all I hear is just a really fine gentleman too. Yes maybe the one and done thingy is showing when you are only thinking about your future NBA riches you could really care less about some fans in the stands wanting a NCAA title. As John Wooden used to say at some point that me only thinking will not work in a team sport. On another topic, will Roy W say something stupid this week, bet the house on it. Will Roy W do something stupid this week, bet several hundred there. However I have come to believe that Roy W is one hell of a basketball coach. Yes maybe even better than the sainted Coach K down the street. Given the cloud over the program and the one and done talent at Duke ole Roy seems to have gotten the better of the situation and that speaks highly of him and Dean’s dying desire to have him run his beloved program.

Totally agree with regards to Roy.

Adding to all this, I didn’t realize until just this morning that Luke’s dad is ex-UNC QB Mark Maye.

Definitely not Deens Maye.

• Lakepacker Reply

Archie should coach wherever he feels he can win and get the most money. His dad’s comments put him in the category with Ball brothers’ dad. Sometimes people just need to keep their mouth shut. Archie handled it with class. Not so much for his dad. Now the rumor is that Sean covets the UNC job. Good luck with that. Hope he gets it. Will make for an interesting scenario. What a meltdown that would be in CH.

I do think Bubba will look “outside the family” when the time comes which will totally freak out The Lower Level Gang.

If true that means Frank McGuire and Dean Smith woulda never made the cut or possibly hung is effigy. Oh wait that did happen. Never mind.

• BullCityBeth Reply

YES!! I was trying to think of who Luuuuke made me think of…and I, too, dvr’d Godfather II- it is my favorite of the trilogy (I’ve never been able to make it all the way through III)
    If there is a NC/SC final- does that mean the North vs South is revived, and if so, does that make us Yankees?!?!

I too have few memories of #3…. #3 of the 3. NC vs SC would mean ZILCH to rest of America.

I know the Yow Detractors are many and loud. Maybe they are correct. I have no personal opinion either way. Perceptions are reality however.