Fodder Fodder… Sooo Much Fodder

Dam Overflow
March17/ 2017

Fodder, Fodder…. Sooo Much Fodder

Am I even at 90%? No. but duty calls. The Column Fodder Dam is reaching critical mass. If I don’t start releasing some of this crap, we’ll have a huge mess on our hands.

That latest “Roy Blurt” about Trump is already a week old. Later today (Friday) another live mic will be within biting distance so who knows what he might say? He certainly has no idea. Angry Ry Williams

It has nothing to do with his dislike of Donald Trump.  This Peter Millar-bedecked rabid squirrel is just as likely to slam Santa Claus  or St Patrick.  He opens his gaping pie hole and absolutely no one especially Roy has a clue what will spill out.

Roy Williams is a 67 y/o constipated Bart Simpson without Bart’s boyish charm; with his very own version of Tourette’s Syndrome.

All Roy Williams knows about Donald Trump can be put into one 140 character Tweet with enough characters left over to spell Krzyzewski six times.

I still have Roy as one of the top five active college basketball coaches in America. Good thing. Other than that noteworthy accolade he is the equivalent of an 8 y/o boy with acute ADD whose mamma keeps forgetting to give him his daily ritalin mega-dose. That coupled with that unique form of Tourette’s Syndrome makes him quite the loose cannon forever careening across a rolling deck. The fact that, IMO, he has lied from Day One about The Greatest Eligibility Scam in NCAA History adds to his quite colorful body of work. The further UNC advances in the coming weeks, the more likely Roy will further embarrass himself and his employer. Roy is Bubba’s problem. To me he is just amusingly predictable column fodder.

##

I’m not able to follow all the sports websites I used to. So I don’t claim to be cutting edge on Frau Yow’s Hunt for NCSU’s Next Hoops Messiah. The UNC-W guy is now “fair game” but the firing of Tom Crean at Indiana may have repercussions in The Case Center. Whatever advantage there was in lame ducking Gott, if there ever was any, seems negligible. IF the UNC-W guy is mature enough to handle the pressure of unrealistic expectations and can he hold his own with deep-pocketed Fat Cats then he seems like a likely “short lister”.

I have no clue what Frau’s priorities are…. What she looks for in a candidate. Who she has helping her evaluate candidates. How “difficult” she really is to work for. If I had to guess I would guess she ends up with another semi-anonymous journeyman like Gott. Someone in his mid-late 40s with modest achievements at 2-3 stops along the coaching trail. I don’t see a Home Run but – hey – what do I know? For my sane adult Wolfpack friends, I hope I’m wrong.

##Retina

More than you ever wanted to know about Detached Retinas….

Think of your retina as wallpaper across the back of your eye. When the wallpaper starts to peel off that is “detaching”. A blow to the head can cause it as in boxing or, in my case, acute near-sightedness. There are probably other causes such as “it just happens”. “Eating carrots” and taking certain vitamins has no effect. When my right retina detached in March 1988 (three weeks before Kid was born… YIKES) I was told there was a likelihood of another at some point. 29 years later was that point.

Retina surgery has advanced considerably in 29 years and Duke Eye Center is among 3-4 facilities “at the tip of the spear”. My right eye was correctable to 20/60. Hopefully this latest surgery will produce even greater vision recovery for my left eye. For now my left eye is filled with “gas” to hold the wallpaper in place as it heals from the five points of detachment. They used lasers which is about as much detail as I cared to ask. It will be 4-6 weeks for the gas to dissipate and get an idea of my vision. Duke also has a department that specializes in all sorts of corrective lens, bifocals and magnifiers to maximize a patient’s best possible vision. I am in the very best hands imaginable.

Those “very best hands” include Blondie. She has alternated between Mother Teresa and Nurse Ratchet as my attitude in the moment required. The High Anxiety / O’ Woe Is Me moments are all gone now.

All of your kind comments and emails had a LOT to do with getting thru that dark tunnel. Blondie and I both sincerely thank you.

Knowing my “attitude” was going to be critical in getting thru this…. The morning after surgery I took steps to remove all “bad vibes” from my daily life. No badder vibe going than the Political War ongoing in America. Blondie is a a political analyst for several VIP clients. She has to wade thru “the swamp” and “the sausage factory” every day. I don’t. We set up a system.

Every morning around 10 AM after she has checked all her sources for “overnights” I walk into her office in the SaidWhatMedia complex and ask….. “Do those miserable lunatics running the American Left hate Trump and ‘people like us” as much today as they did yesterday?” …. She replies “Yes, every bit as much and possibly more so…”. And THAT is my political update of the day. I go back to my audiobook or watching a Hallmark movie. The stress release is so refreshing I may continue it regardless of how my vision turns out.

One other positive to emerge from all this is I am no longer yoked 24/7 to my I-Phone 7 Plus. I can’t enlarge the type enough to read email, twitter, Facebook, et al. GUESS WHAT? I live without it !!!! Who knew ? YIPPPPEE.

##

Thought For March Madness: How do teams like Gonzaga and Villanova and others continue to he high seeds year after year WITHOUT rosters full of 4-5 stars, without pimped out locker rooms, without all sorts of stoopid recruiting bling? How do dey do dat ???

##

• Former96Heel Reply

Welcome back BobLee!

In my escaping that same political noise, I found myself digging into your classics. Rest well knowing you are leaving a vast deposit of premium gems for those of us out here who yearn for a dose of good old common sense.

Great to have you back

Thanks. Hopefully I have a few more classics left in me.

• TheCowdog Reply

ORW is out of his league if one puts him in the same twitter conference as Trump…And you put him in the same bracket.

Csonka, too, traveled after a swallowed whistle and Keatts has two Ts. You will come to see, my friend.

I don’t see it that way re: Roy / Trump.
      I never could spell Gottfried. Now I don’t have to. I guess I need to do a column on “the UNC-W guy” huh?

• TheCowdog Reply

Nah. I just want you see.

• Walt-in-Durham Reply

Best wishes Boblee!

Thanks Walt. Getting stronger by the day,

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply

Pleased that your surgery went well.
      Also, I believe that Debbie Yow did well with her search.
      Coach Keats will make a huge difference in West Raleigh.
      He said all the right things in his press conference Sunday.
      At the very least he should do the following things better than Gott:
      1) Have better roster retention(fewer transfers leaving).
      2) Have the players in better condition to play hard for 40 minutes.
      3) Continue recruiting as well if not better than Gott due to all of the previous networking he has done.
      This is not a slight on Coach Gott, but I believe that Keats is an upgrade to him just like he was to Sid.
      Gott did some good things initially, but the yearly roster turnover finally caught up with him his last two years. As for Sidney, he was an NBA coach and not nearly as good with the college game as he was as a player. Bottom line: Yow did well, no circus this time.
      Now you can have even more fun with Roy after he loses to BOTH Coach K’s next year.

Keats is, of course, NOT the first Pitino protege to be NCSU HBC…. “Herb” was too.

• JD Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgHzpL6wDwk Well I wouldn’t call Villanova’s facilities a dump.

Not at all but not a Vegas casino on steroids either.

• UNC blue Reply

Good luck in procedure and recovery. The good news is when you are fully recovered there will be plenty of stupid comments for your musings.

They never stop or even slow down.

• PTH Reply

Hope you recover fully, but at worst you might be an excellent candidate to be an ACC referee. MBB WBB or even FB.

HA! I will add that to the short list. Wgat I “saw” of Joel Berry’s Larry Csonka impersonation last night certainly did not jive with the “official non-call”.

BL,
    To keep you aprised….as you do NOT need to strain for such…
    SOME in the mighty WPN have enlisted the logic (and aid) of the “NeverTrumpers”. I think that there were, Percentage Wise, more Democrats supporting Trump on 11/9/16 that WPer’s supporting Coach Keatts.
    NOT talking about the PP or the WM Board….but a certain one where your columns are read and quoted. They have LOST IT.
    Snowflakes of the first order. Surprised that they are not planning Black Ops missions in Cary (Yow’s home) OR Dayton (You KNOW who resides there).
    If you recall Jim Beilien leaving WVU, his family had to actually PACK UP IN THE MIDDLE of the night and leave as they were credible death or harm threats to his family and property. That is SOME of the rants of those that KNEW (an undocumented gardener of Archie’s Dad, John, told them that Archie was just WAITING for Yow to fire MG so he could come and SAVE the Farm…).

To ride your clever title…with apologies to Samuel Taylor Coleridge (NOT KeaTTs).
    Fodder, Fodder everywhere, and all the rumors STINK…
    Fodder, Fodder everywhere….literally driving me to DRINK…
    Fodder, Fodder everywhere….and not a credible LINK

Again….SERIOUSLY, do what (you know that is the ONLY CHOICE) Nurse Blondie tells you….otherwise, she will turn into Kathy Bates and THAT was NOT a pretty scene….pulling for a FULL recovery (OK, maybe they SHOULD do a little MORE drilling and fix a few (orthroscopically) spots in your cranium….

It is my understanding that there has always been an anti-Frau faction within PackNation…. for whatever combination of reasons. They bought in to all the Gary Williams stuff, whatever. That bunch no doubt blames Frau for the kid missing the chip shot vs Clemson. Unless she bags Archie they will condemn her choice.
      Methinks she better move quickly now as all the Flavors of The Month will be snatched up and only the Whozits left.

Because of your surgery I read up on retina surgery using the gas bubble. Part of the recovery was keeping the face up or down for “awhile.” I might would have had adjustment issues with either of those two options. Hope your recovery goes well.

Thinking of Roy’s penchant of just running his mouth. I Can’t figure out what’s the advantage of speaking out on HB2 when recruiting a few semi-illiterate 17 y/o dunkers unless there is a bunch of gender confused 5 star 7 footers out there somewhere.

My thought on March Madness. There seems to be a trend of private institutions doing well in NCAA MBB over the past few years. More so than football. Could any of it be related to not having to release as much information publicly as state institutions are required to with public records requests? Just a thought. I notice this more acutely because I do not watch or pay attention to any regular season or conference tournament action. The NCAA field of 64 is the only time I watch any college basketball at all. The smaller the field gets, the less interested I become.

Roy “might” have been pressured (i.e. blackmailed) by the LGBT/HRC gender terrorists to take his stand on HB2. They will stop at nothing to achieve their objectives.
      Today should result in a few bracket-busters.
      Yes, I had to sleep in various positions pre and post surgery. One does what one has to do in such circumstances.

• Martha.K Reply

BL, do you think the average UNC fan is tired of Roy’s antics? Is he trying to “be like Dean” with his liberal political comments?

The “average UNC fan” cares first / foremost about Winning. As long as Roy wins most of his crap is blown off as “that’s Roy being Roy”. Let him lose in the next 2-3 rounds before the FF and his crap could become an issue especially if Duke keeps winning. There are A LOT more Not Liberals in the DD Lower Level than Ol’ Roy thinks. “Think” being a relative term with Roy.
      As for Roy trying to “be like Dean” as Coach Super Liberal that could be in his muddled mind somewhere. Except Dean never mixed politics with basketball like Roy does. Dean never used a pre/post game presser to expound his politics. Even wuth that, Dean’s politics never set that well with many UNC fans but “he was St Dean” so he got away with it. Roy ain’t nowhere bear Sainthood and never will be.

• Robert Kennel Reply

BL, have really missed your live inputs. Did not know the specifics of your eyeballs, but truly hope and pray the maximum stability and vision return.
    Notice there is no mention of Crowder’s “timely” memory and judgement😎 Also don’t need any Roy analogy to know the difference between BLAP and Trump. One has brains and a modicum of integrity and the other has the ultimate in narcissistic tweets. I truly fear for our country.
    As for AD Yow, I’ve told her as well as curious onlookers that I neither know nor care who is chosen for Coach. I sent you a private letter establishing the background. Simply stated I trust our Institutional Control persons and will support whomever is chosen.
    Baseball Coach Fox spoke at Raleigh Sports Club on Wednesday, and I asked him publicly whether Trea Turner was safe at home three years ago. He asked how I wanted him to answer, and I said with integrity. He then answered, “probably safe”. 🤓
    GET FULLY WELL !!!

The staff at Duke Eye Center from clerks to Super Surgeons are “The Best of The Best”. I am in very capable hands.
      I wish MLB.tv permitted me to watch Trea and the Nats but they are considered an “in market” team for this area. Only not being in a major media market should prevent his stardom.

BL
    First and foremost and with all sincerity. GET WELL. I, too, frequently call upon the “Guru’s” at Rex (UNC Health and the “teaching faculty” in Chapel Hill…they are on my speed dial.
    Duke’s Audiology Dept is well renowned and I now have NEW ears….and hear what folks really say behind my back….especially my loved ones.
    A fine lady UNC Faculty MD got my allergies identified and straightened out. Her younger protege keeps me well and changes my meds as needed. Did I mention that both are of Indian Descent (not related to my Navajo buddies). I totally love and respect them.
    Then there is this local UNC Rex Cadio Doc, who is an “Electrician” that recently implanted my Pacemaker and will be “taking my advice and counsel” next week as to what programming changes it needs as I downloaded and studied the manual. He is also of the Islamic faith and hails from Egypt. He marvels at my physical condition for my age…and I at his hard headedness….
    SO, pick the best….sort of like wives….
    Blondie and my DW sound like they are cut of the same cloth. I got a LOT of sympathy after the PM procedure….but also a LOT of grief if I DARE LIFT my LEFT ARM…(6 weeks of very LIMITED mobility).
    Your take on ORW needs to be in the Psychiatric Hall of Fame. I read his comments (and the follow-up trashing of HB2 in Greenville….the SAME G’ville that Jimmy V flew into to address the Pitt County WPC). There is nothing I can write or concoct that describes him better. He was a great son to his mother and probably a great father himself….and CAN coach…..but past that….He need another COKE to calm down….like I used to give my mom with a crushed Valium when she ranted…

AD Yow. Joe G tweeted this AM….Archie AIN’T Coming. Reason. Sean told him NOT to take job in ACC as HE (Sean) was the Heir Apparent for Mikey or ORW’s Job and he did NOT want to embarass his little brother. The Rumor Mill has more rising tweets and snaps and posts and such than the morning ascension at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival..
    Crean? Keats? Wade? Kelsey? Miller (A)? Moton? Todd Turner? Steve Alford? God ONLY knows….and I don’t. The WPN will solicit RevBB for a “Trump Supporter” style shindig if Archie is NOT at the Presser. COUNT on that….but if a Coach don’t want to come to Raleigh, even Red Reddington can not help.
    Lady Pack did win today. Pity that the NCAA slighted them in the seeding. HB2 move….of COURSE NOT….why the Duke ladies are at home. BUT, we know where the Dookie’s political left of center is….
    Just remember, put a Green Laser on your personal Carry Piece and you don’t need SHARP EYES….and you can defend yourself and family from any angle.

Sean Miller as a possibility at either UNC or Duke is a new wrinkle. That one might require more verification.
      As more Power 5 gigs come up, Frau’s lists will get longer and longer. Got to be anxious folks in Amedeos back room.

• Eric Troutman Reply

I had a stem cell transplant at Duke in 2015. I was wearing my NC State cap to my daily treatments when the nurse said, “you got the wrong hat there, boss.” I said, “you get me well, THEN I’ll consider a new cap.” (I wasn’t going to get ahead of myself.)

I got my Duke hat. Any chance we’ll see BobLee in one?

ET

Being estranged from my alma mater, I am “available”. 🙂

I just realized I left out Jim Boeheim’s slam on Greensboro… my bad!
    Unlike Roy, I think Boeheim IS aware of what he says before he says it. He simply doesn’t give a damn. He enjoys being “Outrageous Jim” Boeheim. He is pissed that he got caught doing all the crap he has done over the year to get caught for doing. He thinks he gets picked on because he is a jerk… which is probably a factor beyond the fact that he actually does all the ullegal crap he has done.