“Used to be a classy place” and MORE

Rick PItino Dean Dome
February25/ 2017

“Used to be a classy place”

More “fodder manna from Heaven” for yours truly this week courtesy of Rick Pitino and a still unidentified UNC “adult fan”. If you fog a mirror you have heard about this one.

Louisville’s Pitino was verbally accosted in Dean’s Dome this week while leaving the court at halftime. Pitino later identified the verbal assailant as “an adult” and “a coward”. What the fan said is unclear. If it was simply “Pitino, you suck!” why did Pitino’s posse have to restrain him from charging into the stands? Surely “Tricky Ricky” has heard MUCH MUCH worse at Rupp Arena and numerous other hostile venues ???

Rick Pitino is, to be kind, a controversial coach about whom 99.9% of even casual college BB fans have an opinion. Unless you are a Louisville Rick PItino2fan, that opinion is probably negative. In his long, high-profile career Pitino has accumulated enough “baggage” to provide umpteen leather-lunged fans plenty of insult-fodder.

The various stereotypes of Dean Dome fans does NOT include “creative insulting” of visiting players / coaches. Pitino prefaced his post-game (his team lost by double digits) comments that:

I have always thought this (UNC / Dean Dome) was a classy place. Now I guess it’s just like everywhere else….” OUCH!

Hark The Sound of St Dean spinning in his crypt…. assuming he (Dean) did not roll the stone away and leave said crypt “on the 3rd day”.

Nothing irritates a UNC fan more harshly than having it’s “we are simply better than everywhere else… because we say we are” reputation called into question. Over the past 8-9 years, various aspects of The Vaunted Carolina Way have been nuked into oblivion to say the least. Has this one leather-lunged fan “nuked” yet another of the sacred premises?

Roy did offer a personal apology to his coaching peer in, for Roy, an incredibly coherent fashion. No reference to HB2… or “being treated like a mushroom”.  Roy’s “treated like a mushroom” comment would come two days later.

Out of 30 NBA teams ….NBA

There are 30 NBA teams. I went to the NBA website and counted them. Off the top of my head, I cannot name a single player on 25 of those 30 teams.  After  considerable thought I can probably guess another 2-3…. maybe. I can only name three current NBA coaches. I’m only good on about half of the current ACC MBBHCs.

I can only name ONE current NHL player – Sidney Crosby who, I think, plays for Pittsburgh who, I think are “the Penguins”. I cannot name a single hometown “Hurricane” or the current coach of the Hurricanes.

I can only name ONE current professional boxer – Floyd Mayweather…. Two female tennis players – The Williams sisters. Two (and a half) male tennis players – Federer and Nadal and a “Djovic” or similar.

I’m good on maybe 4-5 current NASCAR drivers. One less with Carl Edwards’ retirement. Carl was the only driver I have “followed” the past five years.

My current sports knowledge is NOT intended as a benchmark for measuring ANYTHING such as the de-evolution of American culture et al. It’s more a measure of where, at this point in my life, I choose to focus my personal interest for a variety of reasons.

How many of the above sports / leagues are you up-to-speed on?

“98% of WNBA players are …..”

Perhaps you saw (or maybe you didn’t) this week a recently retired WNBA player – Candice Wiggins – did an interview with a San Diego paper in which she described her negative experience in the WNBA.

She says she suffered on-going “bullying” from other players “because I am straight”…. Further noting that “98% of The WNBAWNBA players are lesbians”. OH BOY!

Other WNBA players and league officials were quick to “call foul” on the bullying but were strangely quiet on addressing the “…. 98% are lesbian” issue. They neither confirmed nor denied nor even acknowledged the charge.

I recently asked a veteran medical professional – “At what point in one’s sexual experimentation does one officially become “gay” or “a lesbian”?  Why is “gay” an adjective and “lesbian” a noun?   Is there a magic number of incidents one must participate in to earn his/her gender merit badge?” …. He was not aware of any such process. In 40+ years of practice he had never been asked that question. If I called the National HQ of LGBTQ, would they have an answer? Does LGBTQ have a national HQ?

The WNBA has, from Day One, been heavily subsidized (i.e, kept afloat) by the NBA. Attendance leveled off in the 5-7,000/game range for the more successful teams. Bet you didn’t know that The WNBA has been in existence for 21 years.

It is 2017. America is embroiled in an ever-intensified national debate on individual gender preference. “Race” is still #1 in terms of socio-cultural debate; but “gender” is fast-gaining on it.   Should the % of lesbians in The WNBA be a subject of discussion? Why? Should the sexual lives of athletes be “an issue”? Why?

For many years The LPGA was referred to as “dykes in spikes”. It was not meant as a positive marketing term. FWIW… the LPGA has fallen completely off the sports page as far as any significant coverage. So has NASCAR but “gender issues” has never been noted as a reason.

Would / Should The WNBA consider “a large number of our players ARE indeed practicing lesbians” to be a positive, a negative, or irrelevant? Do/ Should potential fans of The WNBA consider it a factor in attending a game? Would / Should a father with young daughters hesitate to take his family to a game where a high % of fans “seem to be” lesbians? I wonder what CNN’s Chris Cuomo would say about that …. OK, I don’t wonder; I’m pretty sure what he would say.

Are those popular assumptions a factor in the WNBA’s lack of box-office success?

I admit to on-going confusion over “Nature vs Nurture” in The Great What Gender R U Debate. Does “playing competitive sports” factor into a girl/woman’s gender evolution? Is “gender evolution” even a term?

AgentPierceSaid:  “Crazy” Doesn’t Mean “Stupid” – CLICK

• unctarheel1984 Reply
    3 weeks ago

A friend said he was in that section and the comment toward Pitino was more along the lines of “tipping the waitress better next time”, but that friend was also at Woodstock and witnessed the 8 points in 17 seconds, but says he left the stadium just prior to the Immaculate Reception.

3 weeks ago

I’ve been waiting for all the “I was sitting near THAT GUY and here’s what he said….”. Have there been any such “eye-witness accounts” that seem credible?
      If I am correct on my Pitino Sleaze history… his infamous Italian Restaurant Romp was NOT with a waitress but with one of his assistants wives.

3 weeks ago

Yes and NO. The waitress, Karen Cunagin, was a freelancer…so to speak. She finally scored with Ricky. She demanded $$ for an abortion. Through SOME Crazy (bad likker made from a Ford Radiator?) twists, she became involved with ANOTHER (not the one that “listened” to the restaurant passion session) assistant or maybe a S&C Coach. He married her. THEY and her attorney (whom she also had an affair with) tried to up the ante and it then got a little out of hand. Something in the 6 or 7 figures and monthly payments and cars and air planes.
        Ricky then hired a PR guy and they pulled an “O’Reilley or a Letterman”. They went totally public and Ricky confessed to his wife (and 5 kids) that he had diddled the waitress, under the stress of the season and an unduly amount of KY Bourbon. If you think that Kobe’s little “her I am behind you” trist cost him a bundle….I would NOT want to know what Ricky had to sign with his DW to prevent her from pulling an Elizabeth G and throwing the bum out of the swanky ITB residence.
        Google Karen Cunagin. SI and the KY papers had a field day and they only left out the name of the Bourbon that done done old Ricky in and caused him to stray from his marital bonds. I guess, as the saying goes, he did NOT see the reflection of his wedding ring in her eyes….
        Postcript….The Pitino assistant (Stryker?) that married Karen….filed for a divorce very quickly after the cover was blown. He sang like a person wanting to avoid time with his new roomie, BUBBA the BIG GUY. He called her CRAZY….and not in a Patsy Cline way….
        Who needs to read fiction when you got Petrino and Pitino and YOU KNOW WHO….

3 weeks ago

I bet “that table” gets requested A LOT in that L’ville Italian Restaurant. Wonder if it has a plaque?

• NCSU68Grad
            3 weeks ago

great observation…..they might have them labeled ala Amedeo’s motiff. Some of the “sworn testimony” about Karen and her trist with her lawyer indicates she might be a candidate for a UK Monica Award…
            LOFLMAO…

3 weeks ago

You just know people ask. Which is The Pitino Did It Here table ????

• ultraviolet
            2 weeks ago

And it used to be such a classy place.

• JD Reply
    3 weeks ago

I’m not interested nor will I ever be interested in the WNBA and it has nothing to do with sexual preference. The product is terrible. Women playing team sports is terrible to watch.

3 weeks ago

My opinion of “Girls’ Basketball” is a matter of record. Reduce the size of the court by 25% and lower the basket to 8′ and “maybe”. But probably still “no”.
      What little I’ve watched of Girls’ Soccer and Girls’ Volleyball seem more appropriate. I don’t mean the T&A show version of “beach volleyball”.

3 weeks ago

Oh I don’t know about some t&a beach volleyball. I might could be talked into looking in on the tfmgirls Instagram double elimination tournament. Willing to bet that it would be a hit online. If you don’t know, don’t double tap.😎

3 weeks ago

IMO … chick beach VB is a click away from jello wrestling.

3 weeks ago

And each of us….particularly the guy what owns the site….is entitled to their opinion. However, after about 10 years of on and off watching the Lady Pack….some good….and others….UGH.
        We really enjoy the games. The shooting ability, from J’s to FT’s, is more disciplined. I have NOT done vast statistical studies, but I’m willing to wager that the female BB teams have a higher FT % than the males. The males seem to be “macho” and work on their “In your face moves”….rather than on the fundamentals.
        Watched an ESPN 30 series the other night (fell asleep during a game and it was on when I work up). It was Phi Slamma Jamma or what Houston NEVER won a title under Guy Lewis with perhaps the very best teams in the nation.
        To illustrate my point, Clyde Drexler talked about how he spent HOURS developing his “technique” to discourage players from blocking him. He said that he figured out that when you jumped high enough on a drive to the bucket, that IF your defender saw your KNEES coming right at his face, he would chicken out and move or duck. He said it was unbelievable how intimidating that move was and how it worked so well for him.
        NOW, I would NOT have known that or paid that much attention, except that shorty, Terry Gannon talked at length about watching folks cave in on a Drexler Drive….and also ducking so that he could fly over them. Gannon said his moment of truth came late in the game and he was NOT going to be remembered for wimping out and stood his ground. Drexler proceeded to miss critical free throws and I THINK you know HOW the game played out….
        The ladies WILL mix it up, but college womens BB seems to be more of a team sport than the mens….except when you have a Grinner or a Plum or whomever…..Their ball handling and passing should be a model for their men’s counterparts.

3 weeks ago

“The guy who owns the site” says …. “whatever”. I don’t care for Thai food, Oprah or The N&O either.

• ultraviolet Reply
    3 weeks ago

“She later admitted the “98%” was simply intended to accentuate that “a very high % of WNBA players are lesbians”. She had no statistical data to back-up her assertion.” I believe I heard that 72.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

3 weeks ago

46% of Americans have no clue what “%” means.

• myowngrandpaw Reply
    3 weeks ago

Was the “plant” disguised in a powder blue sweater vest, kaki pants, and bass weejuns?

3 weeks ago

High probability …. no info if socks or no socks.

• PTH Reply
    3 weeks ago

Pitino is appears to be something of a “slime ball”, but I have never heard of him ejecting a fan of an opposing team for yelling “Miss it” at one of his players on the free throw line. Did Roy ever apologize to that adult fan? I heard a sports talk show “genius” talking about this recent incident and somehow relating it to the “sex for play” at Louisville and how it was absurd that Pitino claimed to have no knowledge, which it is probably absurd, but would defend Roy Williams and DES to the death that they had no knowledge of the “funny classes” or whatever term the PR firms have assigned to them, which is also absurd.

3 weeks ago

Comparing “providing prostitutes” with “an easy As scam” is an interesting debate. A “white collar crime” versus “a victimless crime” ??? I like it. 🙂
      Not sure “the Presbyterian fan incident” equates with yelling “YOU SUCK” at Pitino. In both cases was the fan removed? Not certain the Presby fan was.

• ultraviolet Reply
      3 weeks ago

I wonder if Pricktino has ever offered to shoot opposing fans in the butt with a BB gun.

3 weeks ago

Certain goofball comments are simply “Only Roy Would say ….”.

3 weeks ago

Neil Fingleton is Dead ….
    Former UNC MBBer – Neil Fingleton – died today. He was 36. Fingleton was recruited by Bill Guthridge during his 3-year Pension Era. He was “the tallest player ever” at UNC and possibly the ACC. He was taller than Tommy Burleson and Chuck Nevitt so that would be 7’6″ or more. I don’t believe he ever took the floor due to nagging injuries and later transferred to Holy Cross. …. more recently he played a character on the popular TV show Game Of Thrones. No sure of Cause Of Death – likely complications of being so tall.

3 weeks ago

will admit that I don’t remember him. Sad that someone, now half my age, died.
      One would think that the NBA would have endowed some sort of research project on “The Tall Man (Person?) Heart Disease Prevention”. There have been enough deaths over the years to make this syndrome into an acronym.
      If you watch a lot of college BB, as I have done lately rather than the drival that the networks air, you can not help but learn a little about the sports world. The NBA seems focused on “The Trades” and how to punish a guy named Cousins who just got his 18th Technical Foul….and is also “blindsided” by being traded. Maybe there are MORE concussions in the NBA than we are aware of.
      RIP, Neil….

Memorable for being 7’7″….. 😳

• Paul Coder Reply
    3 weeks ago

Pitino and his mistress used a local Italian restaurant after hours for their assignations. He paid for her abortion and she later blackmailed him, demanding millions.
    His grad assistant coordinated sex parties over a four year period in the athletic dorm. Players and recruits were given several hundred dollars each to tip the strippers and some had sex with the players. You have to wonder where a grad assistant would get that amount of cash if that was a rogue operation.
    So, with only two sex scandals while leading the Cardinals, Rick certainly knows class when he sees it.

3 weeks ago

You gotta figure that Pitino, Calipari, Boeheim, K, Roy, Self, Huggins et al have all “heard it all” many many times in many “enemy camps”. I can’t imagine anything in that scenario setting him off like it did. It was just some wacky board monkey being a wacky board monkey.
      One does not survive long at that level with “rabbit ears”.

Paul,
      Technically, NOT HIS GF. Karen Cunagin (who would later marry a Pitino Assistant and also have an affair with her attorney who was the “intermediary”) was a waitress in a Pitino frequented restaurant. He and another assistant stayed late and the owner game Rick the keys and told him to have a good time. All this came out after an FBI and State and Trial testimony. She supposedly seduced him (allegedly after serving him stronger drinks) and the assistant “listened” and confirmed it sounded like they were having a good time.
      Pitino testified that it lasted less than 30 seconds as he knew that interval quite well. She later was charged with extortion and lying and defiling a Ky State Treasure. She was sentenced to 7 years and is currently in an AL federal pokey and has repeatedly been denied half way house incarceration. She will be out in July, 2017. She wrote a book..no info if Peter Golenbach helped…but she WAS free on bond during her appeals and he looked awfully happy after his visits to KY….
      She was a nice looking Ex Model with 4 kids….and quickly divorced Pitino’s assistant after their “compensation” scheme fell apart. He claimed he was seduced and beguiled by her and sung like a Cardinal in full breeding voice. Her claims of many trists with Ricky, were debunked by his travel schedules and proved that she was fibbing. The judge was NOT impressed….something about Extortion and Lying to Federal Investigators (See Martha Stewart and Meg Scott Phips).
      I think it was Gottfried’s agent that told Rick in the DeanDome that if he hired Gottfied, that he would be given freebie coaching on how to “hunt his young quarry properly” and that Rick’s outburst was that he did not need ANY help in getting young “N@@kie” and that he was perfectly capable of filling his own stable.
      As to “WHERE’d the $$ Come From”? UNC has The Chapel Hill Fund, which has an “earnings” clause so that anything earnings or gains over about 1% can be used for “Discretionary Spending” by the Chancellor, AD, whomever. That is what funds TGU PR and spending. UK has a similar fund, but it is in BOOZE Stocks. There is NO control, other than the big UK Donors. They can pick and choose worthy projects. I have facts to back up this “Crazy Scenario”…
      Jimmy V was recruiting Jeff Ruttledge. Ruttledge was also being recruited by KY. Jimmy V or one of his staff attended EVERY practice and games during JR’s Senior year…once in a blizzard. They got to be on a first name basis with the UK big wigs and coaches who would fly in every once and awhile.
      As the decision was nearing, the UK Chief Bag Man quipped to Jimmy V.
      You are a smooth talking and persistent cuss. IF you do get Ruttledge, we will BUY IONA and rename it YOU OWNA College and move it to Kentucky and Ruttledge will play for us and you can keep it after his eligibility ends….
      NOT quite the way that Jimmy V told the tale but CLOSE. UK has powers that even DES salivated over….
      NOW, you know the REST of the story….

3 weeks ago

I have The Ultimate UK source I could run that V story by; but it’s too good a story to risk discrediting.

• Former96Heel Reply
          3 weeks ago

At what point does the Merry-go-round stop? The fantasy that college athletics is either amateur, or about the students for any school has to end one day. Is it when the TV money begins to shrink? It certainly is not when the schools get exposed. UNC is first among them all to prove that will not be the reckoning day.
          I just find it oddly perverse that the sporting public finds the NBA’s minor league (NCAA) and the NFL’s minor league (the big 5 conferences) as entertaining as the “major leagues” based 80% on pulling for their team, for whatever reason one derives their team. That fan experience makes the drama more acute, but it is twisted. The college is merely a sponsor of the team, akin to the European model, not the reason for being there.
          I certainly do not think Louisville is any worse than UNC, but how fans can be proud Pitino or Perino supporters puts them in the same crowd as the St. Dean and Friar Roy contingent. Worse yet is to think most other programs would trade their Whoosits and Joe Nobodys for the big name and the flotsam they bring.

3 weeks ago

The Louisville / Pitino /Pitrino “thing” is pure “situational ethics”. Certainly there are a number of “just normal fans” w/ Louisville who give no thought whatsoever to their “famous coaches” shady reputations. “Just Win Baby” …. The admins & fat cats that make the hiring calls are simply “feeding a public want”. How UNC fans have rationalized the whole TGU mess is fascinating on so many levels. So much of these trends go back to “situational ethics” which is manifested throughout our society well beyond “sports”. I see no reversal of these trends whatsoever.
            My late friend Dr Danny Lotz used to bemoan all this. I had to remind him that Revelation is pretty specific that “this doesn’t end well”.

4 weeks ago

Interesting potpourri of topics. And, since there IS fog on the mirror (there better be or my wife NOW has a wonderful lawsuit against Medtronics as I recently got “Chipped and Tuned”….by a UNC Rex Cardo Doc…of Islamic heritage)….I HAVE HEARD ABOUT ALL THE TOPICS…

Ricky, Ticky Pitino sure seemed off his meds. I watched the video (they played it more than Rev BB’s “We’re gonna bankrupt NC” live interview with the poet laurette of WRAL…Mr. Mimms – he should be teaching at Catawba College). Sure don’t understand Rick’s anger issues…but the fan DID strike a proverbial nerve.

As to St. Dean leaving the cave on the third day. OF COURSE HE DID. But, when Weinstein dropped the little AFAM Bomb, God and Jimmy V threw him out of heaven. He was sent straight to the Devil and is now rooming with Claude Sitton (the guy that was GONNA GIT….Jimmy V and curiously met the Devil on Jimmy V’s birthday….IRONY….NOT….Vengeance is MINE, sayeth the Lord with JV as his shooting guard…). So DES now resides in purgatory and was NOT surprised at the fan’s outburst.

The WNBA or the LBGTQX NBA Social Experiment. Read the article. A little OTT, but probably very factual. The fact that the head Queen of the WNBA did not DENY any of the substance….but was “Shocked and Stunned” by the accusations was the REAL HEADLINE. Did not catch the follow-up comments where she planned an investigation, headed up by STB EX FBI Director Comey into the Alleged ALLEGATIONS of DISCRIMINATORY BEHAVIOUR…. Still waiting for the Pink Ribbon (with Vagina hats) crowd to DEMAND such. RIGHT…

As to the NBA. Unfortunately I know a few players and a few coaches by name as well as reputation. Some of the laddies that are allowed internet access during their “play dooh” time and wear RED have suggested the Popovich or Kerr be contacted in our coaching search. Wonder how THAT would play out with the Really REDNECKY (but well HEELED and High $$) donors?. AD Yow and Dr. Woodson will speak the party line about HB2 and such, but THEY know the political penchants of the folks that name buildings and give land and such to NCSU. Ain’t gonna happen.

Since you have made comments about the coloring book and sand box and play dooh therapy sessions that the snowflakes needed the week after November 8, I have concluded that all the plans and left over supplies….as well as the counselors will be needed for the WP Crowd if Archie Miller (who lost to lowly RI yesterday) is NOT announced as the NEW MBB Leader of the pack. In fact, yesterday was NOT a good day for coaches named Miller with NCSU connections. Stevie Alford (and son) showed AZ that UCLA’s BB heritage rules supreme….even in Tuscon. Must have been a full moon….

However, it will be a FULL MONTH of FULL MOONS until some OTHER school goes in a different direction and fires their coach. Right now the talking heads of ESPN are circling the wagons and protecting their innocent and NO REASON TO FIRE STB Ex NCSU Coach, Mr. Gottfried. I went to the PNC, in some pain, to keep from listening to Doris bash NCSU and extol the moral virtues of Senor Gottfried….who proceed to show his own LACK OF CLASS…

BJ Anya made the Gottfried Outside Pet Confinement area….BIG TIME. BJ has the heart twice the size of his frame. He is our best BENCH Cheerleader and deserves a Spirit of the Pack award. Instead, he is the scapegoat for Gottfried’s ire…at being fired. Yesterday, when Gottfried put in a walk on Senior with a few minutes to go….the crowd chanted….BJ ANYA…and BJ looked down at the coach….who turned his head. BJ sat on the bench for the END of the game.

NOW, this is from a friend….and I was there also. BJ’s “ESCORTS” for his Senior Moment was Terry Henderson’s DAD and the ENTIRE WP MBB Team. They surrounded him and came out. That has NEVER happened in WP History. BUT, a friend in the lower level later texted that BJ’s Mom and GF were sporting big “FREE ANYA” signs and there was an “executive decision” made for the Mom and GF NOT to walk out, WITH SIGNS, on the court. SO, we now have a better insight into the REAL issues this year…and W/L is only ONE of them. A coach that has no moral discipline….cannot ask for discipline from his players. The CLASSY escorting of BJ by the team made me a proud WP’er….Sorry for the length….

4 weeks ago

All of that Inside WuffWorld stuff is waaay off my radar. I am interested only in how it discombobulates a fan base. This extended lame duck coach period is guaranteed to ferment a lot of rot-gut rumors and pure foolishness. Such are the times we live in.

4 weeks ago

You’ve really messed up bigtime. Now Adam Silver will never let NC host a NBA All-Star game but WILL make sure NC gets a WNBA team. Way to go! 🙁 Just couldn’t stand it could you?

4 weeks ago

I do what I can. 🙂

• Former96heel Reply
        4 weeks ago

Charlotte had the Sting years ago. It drew less than some hs games and the team was put to rest. If memory serves, the league forced Shinn to keep the team going well beyond apparent usefulness as a lever for some league funding, but it’s been a long time.
        I would rather take my daughter to the local college to view athletic role models than to the WNBA. Even before setting afloat on my ice floe, the NBA was the least interesting pro league. I can never imagine needing to watch the gender bend wannabe that is the WNBA. Who knew: the NBA went soft and the WNBA is about bullying???
        Welcome to 2017!

4 weeks ago

After 20 years the jury of public opinion has pretty well spoken as to the economic viability of the WNBA.