Will Dexter Fowler Become A Verb?

February20/ 2017

Will Dexter Fowler Become A Verb

I get nervous when my Muse of Inspiration doesn’t deliver a WHAMMO topic to my keyboard.  Because it usually means a 500 lb Go-rilla topic is headed my way which means headed your way thru me.

I saw this one abrewn’ late last week. It involves my Cardinals and their BIG off-season free agent acquisition – CF Dexter Fowler. Everything about the acquisition of Fowler has been as positive as any move a baseball team’s front office can make.

NOTE: A MLB General Manager labors under the same Can’t Win No Matter What He Does that a Power Five Athletics Director labors under. Every pro/college sports fan is certain he/she could do a better job than the sitting GM / AD “because”.

Anyhow…. Dexter Fowler came over from the “Hated Rival” World Champion Chicago Cubs to fill a glaring need for the Cardinals. Fowler has an infectious smile and overall positive outlook on pretty much everything. Everything he has said/done over the past two months has been simply wonderful…. WHATTAGUY! …. Until last week.

In an interview with ESPN (uh oh!) Dexter Fowler mentioned that the latest immigration order had “unfortunate” consequences for his family. His wife is Iranian and has relatives in one/more of the countries affected by the controversial order as it was originally interpreted. Their family travel will be complicated by the current order. Dexter Fowler DID NOT “Go Steph Curry” or “Go Gregg Popovich”. He did NOT mention President Trump directly or indirectly. He did not disparage any segment of the St Louis Cardinal fan base or citizens of St Louis. He simply recounted how the travel order affects his family.

Fowler did add that baseball players “are human and not property of the team they play for…”   In his 8-10 year pro baseball career he has no history of “causing trouble” at all.  In fact he is universally known as “a great clubhouse guy”. …. But he has not played a single game yet wearing “the birds on the bat” uniform.

When I read his original comments my finely-tuned Ohhh Crap-meter went TILT. I guessed (correctly it turns out) how this would play out in America 2017. I anticipated how knee-jerk opportunists on both sides would react…. and they did.

The first knees-to-jerk were the really scary stereotypical far-right-wing element within the Cardinal fan base. One Cardinal board monkey website lit up like the Vegas strip with predictably “unkind” remarks about Dexter Fowler and his perceived-political opinions. Versions of shut up and just play ball were numerous. Others, alas, were nastier.

If you pay attention to this stuff – and I do – the disparaging comments I saw were the usual predictable assortment. Nothing especially creative.  Just daily reminders that Darwinian rejects are walking among us every day “breeding and voting”.

AND THEN…. Came the self-righteous millennial sports media guys auditioning for John Skipper to be ESPN’s next wave of Trump-hating social justice warriors.  Every media market in America has “those guys”. The Triangle certainly does.

REMINDER:  I have no problem with The Triangle’s Cadre of Self-Righteous Left-Wing Sports Media other than not agreeing with them of course.  If their employers are OK with it, why not.  With both WRAL and The N&O, the employers encourage their overtly partisan rants.   I exercise my 1st Amendment right by not listening or reading other than tweets.

One keyboard galoot with Yahoo Sports – Jeff Passan – took the social media reaction to Fowler to indict All Cardinal Fans Everywhere – The Cardinal Way – et al. He stopped just short of blaspheming The Arch and Stan. Jeff PassanHere’s his blowtorch comments.

Passan used Ten Comments to prove all Cardinal fans obviously are …. insert the usual standard issue insults.

Passan’s over-arching point was, of course, now in The Era of Trump, athletes, musicians, entertainers etc not only should have opinions…. They should use their bully pulpits to air those opinions. Left unsaid is “so long as those opinions are like mine”. The Jess Passans were not so enthusiastic about that “freedom of speech” thingy during the prior eight years pre-Trump.  They were the ones ranting “just shut up and play ball…”

So what are my points in all this.

Point #1: In a less-combustible time, Dexter Fowler’s comment was harmless. Again it was NOT anywhere near as inflammatory as Steph Curry, Gregg Popovich, LeBron James, Steve Kerr, or assorted members of the Patriots to name a few. I don’t consider Fowler’s opinion inflammatory at all.   I am, as you know, a Trump supporter. I wish Trump would take my advice on a few points; but, had he taken my advice this past summer he would not have won on Nov 8th.  So what do I know ….

Point #2: We are at a point on the Road To Ruin of Western Civilization where mole hills becoming mountains will be weekly if not daily occurrences. When an athlete or entertainer expresses his support AGAINGT or FOR the Trump Administration he will be vilified and threatened with various levels of consequences by those of a differing opinion. That’s already been proven numerous times.  Ask Tom Brady.   Tom simply “has a friend”.

Point #3: There is a saying – “just because you CAN do something doesn’t necessarily mean it is the prudent thing to do”. I like to add to that – “Every action has an equal & opposite reaction”. Everyone, celebrity and average Joe, has the “right” to stand on a street corner or at a bully pulpit and blurt out their opinion on anything. One cannot “yell FIRE in a crowded theater” and otherwise create a public hazard but even that is going to get tested in the days ahead. We all know how Michael Jordan was berated by AfAm activists for his supposed statement – “Republican wear tennis shoes too”.   I suspect Peahead Walker said that one too.

Go ahead and blurt your opinion (even if only based on one Tweet worth of subject knowledge) but don’t then complain that there was blowback as a result.

If you are desirous of attracting a maximum market for your product or service, is it wise to turn off 50% of that market by declaring your strong political opinion. My “friend” Very Angry Alex the Potty-mouth Author doesn’t care if “people like me” buy her books or not. OK, she made that decision. By the way…. Angry Alex is about 50 times angrier now than she was when she and I were “jousting”. I follow her obscene tweets…. YIKES!

Yes, I throw political chin-music here on occasion.  That is totally to get a Pavlovian bark from Ol’ Kennel which it always does.

Point #4: Try to avoid the “They’re ALL a buncha ….”. I know it’s easier to indict millions of Cardinals’ fans by those Ten Comments by sickos. I offer my incredibly insightful reminder re: fan bases and political partisans:

All of US are like the BEST of us …. All of THEM are like the WORST of them.

I’ll leave it to AgentPierce to make the case for which side has the “most BEST” and the “most WORST”.

I just want Opening Day to get here ASAP.

Since the president has lifted the Federal rules on transgender bathroom rights, do you think the NBA, NFL and NCAA will decide to hold all championship events outside the US?

Havana would be a possibility? Or Adam Silver’s home planet – Neptune ??

Amen…

The LGBTQX crowd ain’t gonna be happy until the NCAA, NFL, NBA, MLB(?), ETC go UNI. Do it. Locker rooms, public potties, luxury suites….ALL need to be free and open.

Have yet to hear a Multi$$ coach or dunker or player want Whitnet Grinner to “come on down”. Texas may just stir it up.

Have not been keeping up with NHL…what is their take on it?

lots of spots left open on the HB1 “revisions”… you ought to start it. Could be a better revenue taker than the idiotic NC First Tuesday

The article about the WNBA player being “bullied” by all the lesbians is getting some attention… !!!!

• Former96Heel

Thinking of the WNBA’s target demo, could her account shock anyone whatsoever??? I bet even your loony writer penpal doesn’t watch the WNBA.
            The only thing that stuns me is the NBA has stood behind the league financially for 20 years. I know the owners could care less about the blowback a closure would bring when it comes to their bottom line. What a miscalculation. The league hoped the generation of “Mia’s girls” would become fans, but instead it turned into a niche fan base of prison gangster girls and softball coaches.

Several fascinating elements in this. The retort from the WNBA to the article only discusses the “bullying” NOT the % of Lesbians. To refute THAT would be offensive to LGBT gang. The NBA is afraid of the gender terrorist lobby …. VERY afraid. Which ties back in to the All-Star Game move et al.

• Doug

Oh my. National NAACP President Cornell Brooks announced that his organization will not be holding its national convention in NC because of HB2. Reverend Barber was shadowing him as he spoke. Literally. We’re in some real trouble now! 😏

No doubt that convention would have attracted “… at least 80,000, maybe more” and BILLIONS of $$$ of revenue. Enough $$$ to (1) cure cancer… (2) eliminate the need for an I-77 tollroad… & (3) finally resolve TGU. But alas / alack none of that will be possible now due to HB2.
            Someone who you will encounter in your daily comings and goings will actually believe that crap.

• Down East Heel Reply

Can’t wait for opening day? That was last Friday! Hang in there buddy…..the play for pay guys including your beloved Cards will be playing before we know it.

Will “this” last longer than TGU? Is that possible?

TGU will last until “the 12th of Never” and that’s a long long time.

• Down East Heel Reply

Seems like it already has. I think I was four when Marvin sent the tweet.

Wish I couldn’t agree with you but I can’t see a return to respect and civility in your or my lifetime.

There is no precedent in history of a society reaching the level of incivility that ours has ever turning around. Rather it destroys itself and a new society rises out of the rubble,

• PTH Reply

All you blue staters who are unhappy, Go to Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, I am sure they would love to have all you whinny little twerps. Better yet, move to any of the muslim nations, not just the ones that support terrorism, I’ll bet your heads won’t look as nice on a pole as it does your shoulders. You feminist will, I’m sure enjoy covering up, not driving, ( Not all muslims are sheiks with chauffers. ) walking behind your handpicked (by someone else) husband and maybe his other wives, should be another joy, as well, as being stoned, ( not the smoking kind ) for sharing your pleasures. Trump ain’t my cup of tea either, but he sure touched a nerve, I am all for immigrants who come to this country legally and want to follow our laws or are willing to go through the proper process to change them, but those here illegally or those unwilling to allow the US the time to do extensive background checks can stay where they are. Maybe they’ll like their current location if they have all those blue staters as neighbors.

They (Lib/Dems) hate “people like me” much more than they do Islamo-terrorists. I’m OK with that.

• TheCowdog Reply

Oh…horse hockey. I like you, still, on those occasions that I fall off the fence from leaning too far left.

1996, as a point in time, sure does wipe out a good deal of history…American or otherwise.

“Leaning Left” and “liking me” puts you in a unique group of about six people last time we did a show of hands.

• ultraviolet Reply

Why do you hate Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica?

?????

• ultraviolet Reply

From PTH, “All you blue staters who are unhappy, Go to Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, I am sure they would love to have all you whinny little twerps.”

Oh …. OK 😉

• Bill Reply

As Judge Bork wrote, we’ve been slouching towards Gomorrah since 1996 at the latest.
    And for those who think that Mr. Trump is the most thin skinned, vindictive president of all time, I suggest they read up on Lyndon Johnson and Andrew Jackson.

I actually know who Andrew Jackson and Lyndon Johnson were. Of course I ain’t no millennial liberal.

• Bill Reply

Thank the good Lord, neither am I! Nor have I ever been Borked.

Have not heard about the quote, reactions, or even knew of DF’s existence until I read this. So I’m totally uninterested. However, any post that gets a few particular readers riled up is so worth the bandwidth. Talking about easy and predictable. BK could probably have you charged with elder abuse and make it stick.

Despite my lack of interest in the subject I did read on. And then, BANG……..THIS. “Just daily reminders that Darwinian rejects are walking among us every day “breeding and voting”. A simple Hall-Of-Fame worthy phrase. Glad I did.

I’ve used “breeding & voting” on numerous occasions over the past 5-6 years. It seems to fit more and more situations with each passing hour. As with all BobLee-isms, feel free to incorporate it into any conversation as necessary. 🙂

Who can or should be surprised at comments from the peanut gallery? Heck when Lenoir County’s own Vivian Howard of Chef And The Farmer fame was profiled a few weeks ago by the New York Times the comments echoed from all the fringes from “that makes sense” to…… Huh? At last count there were over 200 comments, echoing she’s a She-Trump to she’s a saint. Kinston, Lenoir County overall didn’t fare too well. You could do a piece on it and probably get double bonus point comments. Later the Lord Mayor of Kinston went DEFCON 5 on social media because Wal-Mart was selling t-shirts that said “Where The Heck is Kinston, NC? No mushroom cloud was reported. Luckily he was rebuffed by more than few sane heads telling him it was best to just chill.

The full spectrum of opinions on Vivian Howard around Kinston is a perfect example of so many quasi-controversial issues in society. Everyone is pretty doggone sure that everyone else shares their opinion… or darn well ought to … if they “have a lick o’sense… by golly. YIKES!

• Robert Kennel Reply

Some things in life need predictability.😋
    One of the things I like about you.!!!

• myowngrandpaw Reply

It used to be during an ESPN interview the ESPN interviewer would bring up a sob story from the athletes past to try and make them cry. Showing tough athletes do cry!

Since athletes are becoming wise to that, now the ESPN interviewers bait the athlete into bashing Trump or one of his policies. If by chance they come out conservative, the athlete goes the way of Rush Limbaugh or Curt Schilling. Never to be seen on ESPN again!

The NCAA has a tighter vetting process for foreign athletes than the TSA vetting process. Just ask Omer Yurtseven. Turkey is not even on the list of terrorist nations!

And it is all going to keep on keeping on….

• Robert Kennel Reply

Not quite Pavlovian 🤓, but the search for a center-fielder should be separate from having to try and balance your AP same-ego on every writing. AP-like thoughts, writings, and actions do have consequences; and most of them I don’t like. Breitbart is AP run amuck 😎

Actually Pavlov’s legendary canines were feral by comparison to your 100% predictability BK. May your “I don’t like” always be so.

• MAPackfan Reply

I heard on the radio this morning that Rory McIlroy was catching flak because he played golf with Trump yesterday. No political statement, just played golf. Whether you like or dislike Trump, this is just getting ridiculous.

You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet …. sigh.

• Terri.S Reply

This isn’t going to end any time soon is it?

No Ma’m. I don’t see it ending at all. I don’t see the split in America “healing” at all in my waning days or beyond. We didn’t suddenly “get this way” on Nov 8th. We have been heading down this road for quite some time…. sigh.