When Backyard Dreams Come True… OH MY!

Clemson Wins
January10/ 2017

Boys DreamsEvery kid’s Backyard Dreams include winning “the big game” for “all the marbles” on “the Big Stage”.  For Dabo, Deshaun, Hunter and Death Valley Nation…. Dreams Do Come True and we all got to watch.

Among all the crap & chaos, and Lord knows there’s no shortage of crap & chaos these days; there has been, of late, some pretty darn incredible….

High Drama On The Big Stage:

Villanova v UNC …. Twin Buzzer-beaters
Cubs v Indians – 7th Game / Extra Innings
… and last night in Tampa. Oh Boy… Oh Boy… Oh Boy!

Last Night WAS EPIC.   Move over Texas vs USC in 2005.

Did You Know:  Pete Carroll’s USC staff in 2005 included a guy named Steve Sarkisian?  YIKES!

For the Record:  No Clemson receivers were on a yacht in South Beach last week.  No Alabama players either that I know of.

Dabo

It’s A Dabo World…. We just got to watch it. In the backroom of The Esso Club, all those Bring Back Danny Ford signs…. Trash’em. The goofy goober with the funny name is King of College Football.

The Nick-haters – and there are a lot of’em today – are crawling out from under their rocks to gloat and demean. Long Live The Bear and His Six Rings (did they do “rings” in Bear’s Era?). Don’t be a Nick-hater …. Be an appreciator of a mighty darn fine football game.

It was a vintage Clair Bee story and Deshaun Watson was “Chip Hilton”…. rallying his team for the final drive.  It was The Perfect Time / Place for every over-used trite sports cliche.   We got’em so might as well use’em.

Blondie spent last night watching some subtitled Netflix series about Yugoslavia after WWI ??? When I screamed “OH MY, The Fighting Dabos Won”, she calmly asked the question she usually asks in such situations…. “Is that who you wanted to win?”   I didn’t have a “wanted to win” in this one. I’m not a Nick-hater or a Clemson-hater. Heck, I’m not even a Meryl Streep-hater.  OK, lets not go there…. yet.

Watching high drama sports on TV when you don’t have a “my team” is a “no-lose” experience.  Just appreciate athletes rising to the moment to Make the BIG Play….. To Live The Backyard Dream of every kid who’s ever dreamed the dream. Alas, as Jim McKay taught us, for every Thrill of Victory there must be an Agony of Defeat.  There is no joy in Tuscaloosa….

How many Dabo-wannabes across Big Time College Football are telling their ADs and Fat Cats today …. “I GOT TO HAVE a miniature golf course and beach volleyball court and “a nap room” if Sleeping Giant A&M is going to compete at the highest level.” ?? And bragging rights-obsessed Fat Cats are reaching into their deep pockets for the $$$$$.
Finebaum Callers

Sure… there were the inevitable back stories of Lane Kiffin et al that the Nick-haters and second-guessing cynics will scream to a fare-the-well. Lordy, today on Paul Finebaum’s Show the caller carnage will be like The Little Big Horn the day after. But let us leave those wretched souls to marinate in their own toxic bile. They seem happiest (??) doing so. Don’t deny them their masochism joy in poking needles in their eyes

In that last drive did you think of David Tyree with those “circus catches” by Williams and Leggett? I did. If you don’t know about David Tyree then you have a limited reservoir of great sports TV moments.Renfrow

“The Hunter Renfrow kid” a/k/a “The Ryan Switzer” a/k/a “The Wes Welker” …. Does Central Casting now stock up on the undersized gutsy little white boy receiver who has always been told he was too small and too slow?  Does each recruiting coordinator now have “one of those” on his “go get” list?

Goofy Ol’ Dabo and Deshaun Watson both mentioned “God” more than enough times in their post-game interviews to give a migraine to every Godless college professor who happened to be watching…. assuming any were. For the record…. “God” was mentioned a WHOLE LOT more last night in Tampa than He was the night before at The Golden Globes.

Ya know what Meryl, Barack and Hillary say….  All that us “deplorable bitter clingers” got are (1) our guns… (2) our God… and (3) Backyard Dreams …. that can come true.  For the record Meryl.  I don’t watch MMA.

Uh Oh!

AgentPierce is Baaaack… Breathing Fire & Taking Names

CLICK HERE

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Tags:
Notify of
guest

40 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Ric '73
Ric '73

Dabo’s younger brother, apparently when a toddler, could neither pronounce his older brother’s name nor speak clearly, so he called him “that boy” which came out “Dabo”.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad
Reply to  BobLee

My son, 2 yrs older than his sister, Debra, dubbed her as Bubby Bear….And that had stuck. We still call her Bubba from time to time

ultraviolet
ultraviolet
Reply to  Ric '73

I’d like to know then who nicknamed Anthony McFarland ‘Booger’. His little brother must be huge.

PTH
PTH

I have been searching for the answer for many years, maybe this is the place. Can you, or any of your contributors ( Except 68, I’m 72 and may not live long enough to read it ) tell me if elitist snobs really like opera, ballet, and Meryl Streep movies or only pretend to because the NY Times, New Yorker, Atlantic, etc tell them they should?

68, I’m just kidding.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad
Reply to  PTH

Take a deep breath and depress the “Help Me, I might DIE reading this Button” It amazes me how so many “well read and smarter than me” elitist….some of whom are good friends can be so totally devoid of diversity in their political education. They ONLY, as BL says, get their news from “TRUSTED” sources. I have some who do not have cable and say that NPR and the MSM are UNBIASED. That individual, when I posed the question to her about “Race Relations” said they had improved. She also was AGHAST at the officer not being indicted in Ferguson.… Read more »

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad
Reply to  NCSU68Grad

OPPS….Really meant Old Roy Cooper and substituted Old Roy Williams….ORW actually is more quaint and entertaining….probably just as squirrely….Sorry for the TYPO….I was on a ROLL….

PTH
PTH
Reply to  NCSU68Grad

I am still alive, but tired. Seriously, thanks for your comments. I am also a NC State 68 grad.

JD
JD

I have a close friend that is a huge Alabama fan. When Villanova hit that shot back in April he sent me an immediate text message laughing at my misery. Monday night was sweet revenge.

Paul Coder
Paul Coder

The incident between Woody Hayes and the Clemson linebacker was in the 1978 Gator Bowl. Clemson won the game.
I think the Ohio State administration had been trying to ease the “living legend” into retirement. The Buckeyes had fallen behind Michigan and Bo Schembechler for several years for Big 10 dominance.
If the incident had happened in the Rose Bowl with a possible national championship on the line, he may have survived.
In sports, winning is the greatest balm.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

WOW, am I going to type that I also watched most of the same (I snoozed during the carnage) and I was pulling for Dabo? I guess that things are stranger than they seem. Certainly glad that Dabo pulled it off. I thought they would, but you never know. I have NOT recovered (but there are no holes to repair or doors to replace) from the historical loss. I don’t know if I will unless a certain coach figures out HOW to coach. Looks like young Mr. Capel also needs to do a little “emulating”. As to Ms. Streep. She… Read more »

Paul Coder
Paul Coder

Charlie Bauman was the Clemson LB punched by Woody Hayes.

Ric '73
Ric '73

I loved the way Dabo went for it with :06 left. Didn’t even call a TO. Probably best not to let either team think about it too much. This was one of those great calls only because it worked. I’m real tickled for Clemson. Reckon Dabo has a brother? Frodo? Or Harpo?

PTH
PTH

Kyle Bambard (?) receives iptay MVP award, first kicker ever. Dabo says ” he’ll get ring too!” I sincerely hope the kid has a strong constitution, it is just a game, well, it was before it became an obsession. At least he didn’t lose by 51 !

Bill Brockman

What’s MMA?

THE GAME sure was spectacular!

Is Meryl Streep still around? Does anyone really care what she thinks?

William Brockman
William Brockman
Reply to  BobLee

Just finished watching Feherty’s interview with Paula Creamer and learned that MMA is an acronym for mixed martial arts. Like your description better. Good interview BTW.

Bill Brockman
Reply to  BobLee

Sorry for the delay in responding. Think he was sober because he swears that he has been for a while. Credits his wife. They were discussing MMA because her personal trainer comes from that background. Like you, I don’t pay much attention to the LPGA, except when the only other thing on is political coverage. I do watch Feherty regularly because he has become a very good interviewer and because he is definitely right of center politically. Creamer came off well because her husband is military, as are a lot of the men in her family, and she is a… Read more »

The Expatriate

I just turned 84. I am an unreconstructed sportswriter. I feel as if I have seen my share of of football games at every level. When last night’s game ended, I walked into the living room and told my non-football-loving wife, “That was the best football game I have EVER seen.” I started the evening not caring who would win. In truth, I still don’t care. However, I do have a dedicated-Bama-grad brother who was an All-SEC baseball player when Joe Namath and Mr. Bryant were on the football premises. I was also friends years ago in Greenville with a… Read more »

Doug
Doug

Observations: Mike Defee wears tight shirts and has got some guns. The Finebaum show today will be epic. Phyllis from Mulga is pissed. Even Lord Saban can’t get away with releasing his OC one week before a championship game. Finally, I wouldn’t mind being Dabo’s agent today.

Bob Kennel
Bob Kennel

Pulled for Clemson the whole way for a variety of reasons (ACC champs, bowl record, anti-SEC, Doeren doing live analysis, Board redemption), and it was just a great football game with the underdog coming through.
Last night also had a thought about Sunday’s basketball beat-down so bad that I have already forgotten it. Insight that the last 20 years of TGU cheating so bad that my good church UNC-CH friends are just forgetting about it.
Rather be in State’s shoes right now including next year’s football team.
In the meantime go get BC Wednesday night?

JDanWuff
JDanWuff

I have close friends that are Bama grads and Clemson grads. I could not lose either way. Last year, the title game was a classic football game. This year was no less than a super classic. Watson, denied the Heisman, played his final college game with full fury and determination.
Scarborough leaving the game may have been the tipping point in this one.
Good ACC win, good Atlantic division champion win, and Kyle Bamberg must be wondering.

JDanWuff
JDanWuff
Reply to  BobLee

Bambard…. not Bamberg. Bamberg is where my dad lived as a young kid. Shows how little I’ve watched football this year.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x