IF “Ifs & Buts were…” and Other Bowl Thoughts

Clemson Wins
January02/ 2017

If “ifs and buts were fruits & nuts…. every day would be Christmas” and Other Bowl Conclusions.

For wont of a chip shot FG….”

Who along fabled Tobacco Road did not watch Clemson’s total obliteration of TeamUrban on Saturday and consider:

What IF… young Mr Bambard’s chipshot FG in Death Valley had split the uprights?

BUT it didn’t …. and Dabo plays Nick next Monday.

Not to rub salt in the broken heart of Young Mr Bambard; but it is easy to conclude that The Fighting Dabos would never have been in Glendale AZ had The Wolfpack exited The Upstate as victors on that fateful October Saturday. Whether Clemson would have also lost to Pitt or anyone else following that defeat, “that defeat” by itself would have likely have eliminated The Dabos from The Final Four. The Football Gods were looking after Dabo.

The Swoff’s ACC leads Power Five World in 2016 Bowl Ws…. and “programs in scandal mode”.   Huuummm, coincidence?

On a more positive note for Brickyard Loyalists…. Along with their sound defeat of “an SEC team” a/k/a Vanderbilt in Shreveport; the impressive Bowl Ws by both Clemson and Florida State reflect positively on the future state of Football @ The Fairgrounds. Much-maligned Dave Doeren’s Pack more than held their own head-to-head versus Dabo and Jimbo. That speaks to both the athletes accumulated on the NC State roster and the capabilities of Doeren’s staff. …. Yes, there was ECU and Boston College for those insisting on the half-full glass; but there should be optimism aplenty within The Murphy Center for future 7-8 W seasons. Which performances best fortell the 2017 season for The Wolfpack ??

For what it is worth …. Recruiting against “the hated rival 26 miles to the West” should go well. The all-important “We beat’em amid the pines” from late November is a “fact”…. Plus “The ominous NCAA Cloud” should hover o’er said pines for another 3-4-5 years… at least.

If “Trubisky leaves” (and I definitely would if I were him) the Heels will be in an offensive “re-build” along with the reality that while LTrubiskyarry Fedora is a “good coach”; he is NOT the next “go-get-him guy” for ravenous Fat Cats at Top Tier programs. A “go-get-him guy” would not lose to both Duke and State and lose three straight bowl games. …. The “aluminum factor” in Chapel Hill will increase next year and the next and …..

I am not qualified to say why Larry Fedora is good but not great… or am I saying that “being good” is not “good enough” for UNCCH. I personally think “good” IS “good enough” for UNCCH. I would put Dave Who From Where in the same “good” category. “ALMOST beating Dabo and Jimbo” is still losing to Dabo and Jimbo.

So long as State and Carolina fans live/die comparing themselves with each other within their Triangle bubble, there will be enough yadda yadda boasting and chest-thumping to keep local water coolers and cul-de-sacs lively.

Take note of what “the other Dave” is building over in Camel City / W-Salem. If he can develop a consistent 6-7 Ws program with walk-ons and 2-stars “there”, he may be the best coach of the three – Fedora, Doeren, Clawson. Tobacco Road #4 – David Cutcliffe – is always going to be “a slave to injuries”. He will have a 1st team of skill position players… but will be woefully lacking in depth. By early October the walking wounded @ The Wally will always take its toll. IF he can catch lightning in a bottle like Grobe did in 2006, maybe Duke wins 8-9 every 3-4 years. You cannot build depth playing in front of 20,000 fans…. “on a good day”.

NEVER FORGET:  A team is really only as strong as it’s 3rd string O-Line.  Only 2-3 teams in The ACC have THAT depth of  Juggernaut roster talent.   No Tobacco Road program does or likely will.

Dabo has a For Real Juggernaut at Clemson. He will keep adding silly bling on top of silly bling and recruiting head-to-head against DaboThe SEC for prime meat-on-the-hoof.  For all his goofy Dabo-ishness, he has become an Elite Coach.  If he can keep his staff together with million $$$ Coordinators et al …. Clem will be Top Ten for the forseeable future.   Question:  Do all of Dabo’s caps have extra long bills or does he just have a very small head?

FWIW:  It’s Dabo SWINNEY ….  Not Sweeney.   … and it’s Urban Meyer…. Not Meyers… Not Myers. … and Trubisky ... Not Trubinsky.

Same with Jimbo @ Tally now that he has turned down the one gig (LSU) he might have bailed for. FSU will, alas, continue to have “thug-alete” issues because that is what they recruit.

I don’t “like”Louisville. Never have…. Never will. Petrino and Petino and AD Jurich represent everything I deplore about Big Time College Sports. They run gangster programs and their fan base is fine with it. YUCK! Happy to see Petrino fold like a wet newspaper in his last 3-4 games. Good riddance.Va Tech

Look out for The New Hokies. I thought there would be a noticeable drop-off from The Beamer Era. That definitely is not the case. The Hokies should continue to dominate UVa in-state…. Bud The Guru will keep their D strong as ever…. And Fuente will develop a more potent Offense than Beamer had. Expect VaTech to dominate whichever “division” they are in. The talent gap between VaTech and The Fedorians may go back to where it was 6-8-10 years ago.

I don’t see “The U” @ Miami getting any better than just “good”. In-state recruiting in Florida is going to be BRUTAL with Richt – The Butcher – Kiffin – Strong …. Plus Jimbo and Florida. The 4-5 stars will be spread out across the state like never before. Just losing 1-2 elite players in each class will make a roster talent difference at Tally, Gainesville, Coral Gables.

What about Pitt, GaTech, BC, Syracuse…. Who cares?

OH… I have decided to stop complaining about the “stoopid bowl situation”. Yes, there are 12-15 too many bowls but (1) ESPN needs holiday programming …. (2) Coaches want their “bowl bonuses” and (3) semi-literate 17 y/os think tacky rings and swag bags are cool.

The bowl situation is “stoopid”…. and fast food is “bad for you”.   It Is what It Is!  Accept it.

Team BLSays has some “new strategies” for Here in 2017…. They will unfold in the days / weeks to come.

Tags:
  • Tin foil hat heel Reply

I am pround to say I missed the sun bowl as my gig had me down in IPTAY country though on my last appointment my customer did have it on so I got to see the final drive and tribbbles take the pipe on the final try for two, he better give Switzer 15% of his contract because that old boy bailed him out all season. Next year Shreveport might well be a pipe dream. Then again if you have a pulse and six w’s bling bags for your collection of anti socials is a gimme. Thank god its time for conference play in hoops….oh wait OCR’s crew just got tagged by a yellow jacket squad that made a&t look respectable… Egad

I can’t imagine Trubisky staying with new receivers and a young OL… but then again I’m not a 20 y/o and stopped thinking like one a LONG time ago. … I can’t name more than three “Big Four BkBall players” nor can I name more than four ACC BkB coaches. Neither Whack Hyder nor Bobby Cremins are still at GaTech are they?

Was at da beach with my UNC Alum B-I-L and some friends over the New Year. He’s probably a microcosm of many in the UNC fanbase. Not obnoxious or arrogant but a run-of-the mill Ram’s Club member in his belief that DES was/is a saint. TGU, if it happened at all. was something that never happened until the very recent past (Butch Davis era maybe) and is not a real big deal either way even if it did happen. Saturday AM he asked me how much Stanford was favored by in the Sun Bowl and how many points was UNC Mens BB favored over GT. That’s pretty much his POV in all things UNC athletics. At least he’s consistent. Bless his heart.

I’ve known more than a few of his ilk. Bless their hearts. Their steadfast lifelong devotion to the Church of The Sacred Dean overrides anything else that crawls out of the primordial ooze. … 😎

• uncleron Reply

Was at a fabulous oyster roast confabbing with a fraternity brother when I admitted that I had essentially gone agnostic over college sports. He wasn’t quite as far down the road, but agreed that the last 30 years of “progress” had essentially left us with a less charming stadium, 4 hour games, no court party and all the problems of big time football corruption with none of the trophies. Your point about Fedora is spot on. “Good enough” should have been good enough long ago. Don’t get me started about how Molly Broad was going to lead us out of the Dark Ages and into the Real Ivies, not just the Public ones. THAT worked out real well too.

Happy New Year! I think I sense a rare glimpse of hope for common sense, but then again, I live a sheltered life.

I remember stirring a barrel of brunswick stew with a paddle in your back yard a few years ago. Now you’re talking oyster roasts !!! 🙂
      I’m pretty sure you and I have lost the battle of common sense w/ college FB/BkB; but we shall persevere agnostically.

PopUp ads on this site ????
    If you are seeing Pop Up Ads on this site, please take a screen shot and email to me at…. boblee@bobleesays.com
    I never have and never will authorize any Pop Ups or automatic audio ads on this site. 🙁
    BL

BL,
    You nailed it. If you had a nickel from every WPF that thought about Young Bamberg’s “choke” on that fateful October afternoon, then you would not have to have pop-ups on your site. I was attending a memorial service and walked out afterwards and listened to the MISS on radio.
    I DID note that Dabo called out NCSU in a very sincere matter and said that we SHOULD have beaten them . That was on an an interview with SVP later that night after the Ohio State defeat. He DOES seem to be very down to earth. Wonder if his Bass Boat is Orange with Tiger Camo stripes?
    The interesting drama in CFB today is Nicky Saban kicking out Lane, There is NO FUN on the Alabama Sideline” Kiffin. The announcers were commenting on Lane’s “outbursts” and one of them said….”Now WHY did he say that?”. The other did not miss a beat….”Two Words….LANE KIFFIN…”
    Maybe the software reflash of Lane’s brain has not been completed yet. He cast himself as the NEW and IMPROVED Rev 4.0 Version….the one that was REALLY going to fit the mold of a HFC and not be someone whose Brain to Mouth Filter is permanently bypassed. BUT, I suffer from the same Brain to Fingers on Keyboard Syndrome.
    Happy New Year to you and your fans….

Sabah telling him to Go Away today is pretty unusual. Don’t piss of Nick Sabah !!!!

It ain’t everyday that you get fired after you’ve already quit.

I’d like to have been a fly on the wall when Nick & Young Mr Kiffin had this little one-on-one chat. I suspect Kiffin has a new orifice.

BTW, Since you didn’t mention the juiciest bowl story of the season, I will. The award goes to the Arkansas TE getting suspended from the Belk Bowl after being arrested for shoplifting (four shirts, two wallets, crew socks and a pair of boxers) at Belk’s despite have a $450 bowl bling Belk Gift Card. Diet Mountain Dew came streaming out of my nose when it was reported on ESPN. 😎😎😎

I saw an abridged version of “that” but without a list of “the take”. Bowl games always seem to have their share of such “how come do dey do dats” ??? 🙂

• Bill Brockman Reply

Just read somewhere that 8 or 9 ACC schools played in bowl games this year. That in and of itself seems to me to say all that needs to be said about the silliness of the current bowl situation.

Did watch some of the UNC game. Noticed a lot of empty seats on the rare occasions when the cameras scanned the rim of the stadium. Ditto the LSU/Lousiville “game.” And Tiger fans will travel far to support their team.

From what I’ve read about Coach Ogeron so far, I have to say that it made me feel good when his Tigers beat Petrino’s Cardinals. Like you, Petrino strikes me as a minor league “Butcher” Davis. Down here in bayouland, the citizenry is about evenly split on the wisdom of the Ogeron hire. As I see it, it really matters little since until Saban retires nobody is going to unseat Bama as the #1 team in the SEC/nation. Very much like the years of the Bear and Charlie Mac. As LSU fans finally learned, it didn’t matter who was the head coach at LSU, as long as the Bear was at Bama, everyone in the SEC was playing for second place.

Finally, Adam Lucas’ take on the Heels’ loss to the Rambling Wrecks was classic Lucas. If the Titanic had been a UNC design, he would have found some way to put a positive spin on the sinking. Hope you caught it–laugh out loud stuff.

Finally, have to wonder why Coach K didn’t re-hire poor Pete Gaudet. From what I’ve seen of this year’s Blue Devils, I suspect that Coach G could do a good enough job that K wouldn’t have to strike the team’s record from his record upon his return to the helm. Coach G could “retire” from Duke again with a winning record. Win/win as I see it. Roy’s Boys look to be in over their heads against this year’s Blue Devils. Even without the one who kicks as well as flops.

It won’t surprise you that Adam Lucas is NOT on my “reading list”. I appreciate that his job with the Rams Club is to be “Baghdad Bob” and put a positive C-Blue spin on EVERYTHING but I have a very low tolerance for such.
      Purely based on national articles, I like Orgeron. I’m NOT a crazy cajun of course so my opinion doesn’t count for a teaspoonful of gumbo. 🙂

• Bill Brockman Reply

One last thought about the bowl silliness: Have you viewed any of today’s games? Can’t imagine anyone but hardcore fans of whatever schools are playing in them are watching/attending. How anti-climactic! To make matters worse for the Sugar Bowl, the weather here is miserable. Monsoon-like conditions with lots of lightening thrown in.

I have Rose Bowl on but not watching … in & out. I agree… only hard-core “addicts” are tuned in today.

• HokieJay Reply

Again, your understanding of college football disappoints. Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl with a chance to finish unbeaten? A remarkable event, and a fine game. And the Rose Bowl lived up to all expectations.

Both the Cotton and Rose were played AFTER this column / comments were posted.

Petrino stikes me as an oversexed and dirty of WJC type of Arkansasian type of guy. Butch actually seems to be a bit classier. Did I actually type that? What a backhanded Incredible Hulk slap to BD. Where or where is he today and what is HE watching?

I’ve never heard of any sexual shenanigans from Butch. Sure he is pathological in his situational ethics and his “don’t worry, I’m not leaving” schtick. I don’t equate Butch Davis with Petrino at all.

• HokieJay Reply

Well Bill, you read wrong. 11 ACC teams went to bowls this year and 8 of them won, making the ACC the winningest conference by far. 8 rose to the challenge and represented. Only Pitt, Louisville, and UNC lost. When teams like Wake and GT and BC answer the call and you don’t give them credit then maybe you don’t get it.

• Bob Kennel Reply

Happy New Year, BL.
    Actually agree with most all your team by team points.
    Obviously feel good about NC State football, certainly compared to BC game where many monkey-fingers and N&O were saying Doeren was “gone, but didn’t know it”.
    Appreciate the way we ended the season and continue to like players, coaching staff, and Administration. Also BC may not have as bad as advertised.

As for Duke, wish Coach K well, but wonder what definition an Interim Coach gives to Allen’s ” indefinite” status.

Raleigh Sports Club speaker Wednesday is Coach Hatchell. Don’t know what she will have to say new or how she will answer obvious questions. No one will probably raise State Women’s solid win over Notre Dame.
    New Year Go Pack.

RSC is always VERY polite to Coach Hatchell. I’m sure that won’t change. YOU could bring up the ND W.

For fans that often DO watch Lady WPB…..THAT win (ND defeat) will probably be to NCSU as the Happy Appy Michigan defeat is to the Mountaineers. It was a classic Reynolds victory….That was NOT just an upset. It was a take ’em out of their game and B*tch Slap them up and down the court. Muffin was NOT a happy coach that night. Wes Moore and the Lady WP deserve a very large Way to GO….from many WPF.

I appreciate that that means a lot to you (and to BK) … but not on my Interest List.

• OldAlphaWolf Reply

As I say every year, I love ALL bowls. I have missed two of them..I think all offensive and defensive coordinators should be required to watch all the bowls…By the end of bowl season, you get a great intuition of what works and what doesn’t. A sense of all the defensive schemes and ways of building offense. Cliff notes of the trends that successful coaches are trying.

The “previous play is under review” is killing a lot of the game.. I think they should adopt the Pro rules on replay. The refs readily admit to making calls different than what they would make if the replay were not in effect. Dropped balls are always fumbles unless the replay says diffently. They finally adopted the 40 second snap timing and it works great.

And yeah, who wouldn’t want to play for Dabo.. Tough act to compete against..

Just my $0.02..

.I’m watching two bowls now.. big 10 finally winning one and SEC beating big 10 in the other.

I haven’t watched an entire bowl game yet this year. Scheduled a haircut for 2:00 PM on Friday and kept the appt !! Probably would have watched all of Dabo v Urban but went out to dinner. Ended up watching last half. Saw maybe 20 minutes of both Independence and Whatever Wake Forest played in.

• OldAlphaWolf Reply

Well Wake defied conventional wisdom. Got a big lead and went in to the four corners..(I’m old enough to know what that is). Wuffies kinda dominated..hey Vandy just beat Tennessee..:-)

Dabo shares all his money with his coaches..they all get bass boats…

Bass fishermen rather than golfers !!! Maybe THAT is Dabo’s secret… along with the Nap Room and merry-go-round and individual smoothie machines… and…. 🙂

• Hokiezeke Reply

Fuente,
    hehe

OK.

• altwolf Reply

See where Dabo got 1.3 cool million for the win over Urban bunch,not a bad pay day!

Dabo doesn’t strike me as a “conspicuous consumption” guy. Sort of “a Roy” with “how many golf balls does one guy need?” Maybe he’ll use the $$$ for a new truck and a bass boat?

“So long as State and Carolina fans live/die comparing themselves with each other within their Triangle bubble.” I wonder if those two will ever figure out that THAT is their #1 problem?

I’m not ready to anoint VT as a potential juggernaut just yet. Of course, I was convinced Urban’s Buckeyes would expose Dabo’s Tigers. Hmm! Maybe they did. Nick Saban canned Lane K today. Odd timing just before a championship game. Maybe the Football Gods are favoring Dabo.

I’m not sure it is “a problem”. Other than the dozen or so Legitimate Juggernauts, most programs are “legends in their own minds” a/k/a Forever Sleeping Giants. Measuring Success by “at least we beat those sumbitches over yonder” is “something”.
      It seems that Lane overstayed his welcome w/ Nick by a year. 🙂

What do I think about today’s announcement re: “Coach K’s back surgery” and his hiatus from this year’s team?
    HOLY PETE GAUDET BATMAN !!!
    What “I think” is not nearly as much fun as watching the area rival lunatic fringes go YEEE HAA as their little lunatic fringe heads explode.

As someone posted on another blog. Coach K, per the IRS filings (which I DID NOT verify) makes about 9.6 Million. That is almost TWICE as much as Nicky from Tuscy makes. He DOES seem to have come to his senses. SO, if his back hurts, then take time off.
      It is interesting to observe his “tough love” approach to young Mr. Allen. I believe that Mr. Allen is responsible for Patty McCrory’s defeat….it seems that anything that is NOT to one’s liking in Durham is NOW the result of Mr. Allen and his THIRD trip.
      DW pointed out that Mikey seems to have “matured” a bit. I do NOT (and I may be WRONG) that he was aghast at young less-than-Christian Laettner’s stomping of that lad’s head (Aminu Timberlake) in the UK v. Duke Regional. DW said, and I, of course, agree, that Mikey has been festering over NOT doing the Christian thing and sitting out Mr. Laettner. Therefore, he is taking out all these pent up frustrations on Mr. Allen. I really think that Christian owes Greyson a public apology.

I also, in a WEIRD way, am at some state of “peace” with Mikey. He is about my age and going like a freight train. He has more new joints that Obama has been saving for his “I’m outta here” party. SO, get your back fixed. Duke can muddle along. Let Capel be the softie and bring Allen back into the fold. It is time for the black sheep to be found….the shepherd has longed for him.

No idea who DW might be?? I’m sure your charitable attitude towards MK will not be shared by the usual loonies programmed from birth to hate him.

DW = Dear Wife or your Blondie.

BL, you gotta get with the urban text, acronyms and lingo….lest ye be cast as antiquated. And if YE be antiquated, then I, myself slightly more senior, would be mummified….

Kids say that I HAVE Mellowed out over the years and that DW has picked up some of my “less than appreciated” traits. I do get sympathy cards from my kids on our anniversary. BUT, I love her dearly and it will be until death do us part….although the smart money might be on her causing such an untimely event. I do keep my arsenal locked up lest she get angry….