Black Uniforms (Didn’t) Matter

State UNC
November26/ 2016

Credit for today’s Perfect Headline – Black Uniforms (Didn’t) Matter – goes to BobLeeBuddy Dandy Donnie Baucom a/k/a “The Real Donald” who sent it to me at 2 AM Saturday.  Thanks Donnie. 🙂

“Short List” Larry must have felt pretty confident of victory Friday morning. Confident enough to “let the players pick the uniform”. The players, of course, chose the much-maligned “all black” thereby thoroughly disappointing what loyal fans UNC Football can claim. Alas, the hated unis would not be the only disappointment those 40,000 or so would experience.  On Black Friday amid Kenan’s lofty pines it was a Very Black (and Brown!) Day.

Two, and ONLY Two, football games “matter” in what passes as UNCCH’s “football culture” – NC State & Duke. In this season’s 8-4 record, two of the four losses were to those two “hated rivals”…. The scoreboard differentials were 7 and 1 but neither game was that close. The Fedorians were clearly out-played, out-fought, out-hustled, and out-coached in both critical encounters.

OK, maybe not “out-fought” yesterday but “we had the most players ejected” is not normally a bragging point.   Poster-size reprints of “Short List” Larry trying in vain to restrain one of his black-clad thug-aletes during the midfield melee are already on sale in the NC State bookstore.

Doeren Fedora

Cancel those moving vans!  Both head coaches – Dave WhoFromWhere & “Short List” Larry – are 99% certain to stay where they are for another year. A result of Friday’s outcome that likely doesn’t sit all that well with anyone other than Wuff Superfan Bre’r Kennel.

Kudos to Dour Dave and his valiant student-athletes who “came to play” and…. Kudos to ESPN for selecting Right Reverend Mack “He Lied To ‘DeJohn Skipper ESPNm Boys” Brown to do the color commentary for the game.

Obviously ESPN CEO John Skipper (UNC’75) knew that NC State fans are traditionally among college football’s most cynical, paranoid and masochistic. By putting Mack “in the booth” he (Skipper) totally distracted Pack TV viewers from what was happening on-the-field.  Reports of “a near riot” at Player’s Retreat are not exaggerated.

It can now be revealed that the technical glitch that occurred for ten minutes in the first quarter was for the sole purpose of arming Mack with dozens of innocuous phrases he could sprinkle in to infuriate Pack viewers. …. and to hastily arrange for Ol’ Roy to join Mack “in the booth”.

…. Or as CEO Skipper (UNC’75) called it “let’s give those paranoid sumbitches in Raleigh both barrels”. OUCH!

Those innocuously insulting phrases were like a dog whistle in that no one heard them EXCEPT the keen-eared fans of The Red & White. If you take every word Mack said over the three hour telecast and play it backwards while eating a bowl of Amedeo’s lasagna…. You clearly hear the words “tractors” and “cow college” and “jealous” and “TA’s knee” and “Dudley Bradley”.

The segment where Roy joined Mack on-air was a non-stop cheapshot attack on the mammas of every NC State fan in the history of the storied rivalry.   Again, you can only hear those verbal assaults if you know all the words to The Caisson Song. It is a shame because those irate fans screaming obscenites at their flat screens missed a virtuoso performance by their red-clad warriors.

Trying to talk a Wolfpack fan out of his paranoia is like trying to coax a pig out of a mud puddle.  Both are quite happy …. just leave’em be.

Dour Dave now has a MUCH better winning per-centage “amid the pines” than he does “at The Fairgrounds” causing Frau Yow to leave Bubba a text message about State playing next year’s home game “amid the pines”. Bubba was buzy burning those infernal back unis and has not returned Frau’s text.

The fruits of victory for NC State include (1) another season of Dave WhoFromWhere being beleagurerd by that faction of State fans who live to beleaguer whoever is NC State’s football coach…. and (2) a possibility of “Christmas In Shreveport”. Yes, the dreaded recruiting incentive of spending Christmas playing the nickle slots in Bossier City await the Wolfpack faithful.

“No Longer on Short Lists” Larry and “Guru Gene” meanwhile will take their 0-2 Against Hated Rivals team to some WhoGivesADamn Bowl (but NOT Shreveport). Seats on the one chartered Greyhound for UNC’s football faithful are NOT going fast. Rams Club execs are considering sweetening the deal by adding a Choo Choo keychain and a window decal.

I have suggested UNC Sports Marketing’s “bowl package” include an audio tape of Mack’s NC State insults from the telecasts with out takes of Mack & Roy giggling during the commercial breaks.

Meanwhile at Real Football Schools ….

Mega Fat Cats at both LSU and Texas don’t know whether to crap in their hats or go blind. Coaching Wunderkin Tom Herman lost his third game to a non-Power Five opponent (Memphis) which likely cost him around $3,000,000 give or take. LSU and Texas are now arguing who HAS to take him. “You Do”…. No, You Do”….

Herman’s agent (is it Jimmy Sexton?) was heard frantically calling Oregon to tell Phil Knight how Herman has always wanted to “be a Duck”.

Meanwhile in Baton Rouge, Lovable Ol’ Ed Orgeron tells AD Joe Alleva he will take the job for a bowl of gumbo and an autographed Billy Cannon poster.

Matthew McConaugheyIn Austin, Charlie Strong is still “a black guy” and not bowl eligible AGAIN. Neither of those facts are palatable with Orangeblood Mega Fat Cats. With Tom Herman’s market value having plummeted to the depths of Hillary Clinton’s speaking fee, Texas’ coaching options are now “bring back Freddie Akers”…. Colt McCoy’s other brother “Real”…. and Matthew McConaughey.

Now IF ONLY….

Auburn can beat ‘Bama…. The Gamecocks upset Dabo…. OkState beat OU…. and tOSU and Michigan tie… we can have TOTAL CHAOS.

BobLee…. What about The Notre Dame decision versus UNCCH’s TGU? Phooey…. I’m all out of bandwidth…. Next time. I promise.

• BOG GUY Reply

I have always liked Mack Brown okay (anyone that UNC fans hate so much can’t be all bad), but I do think the Roy Williams infomercial was quite a bit over the top. To Roy, I only have one thing to say about Friday – Scoreboard! Of course, I am not the least bit surprised about the little Blue Interlude from ESPN – they are even more important to the rehabilitation of the “Carolina Way” than that Bradley Whozits that is supposed top be making a film about the tyranny of the NCAA. Skipper has certainly paid his school back for the education he received.

I remain a Coach DD fan. I hope Pack fans will stick with him at least one more year. I have always wanted that “lifetime” type coach (one who comes fairly young and stays at one place for the rest of his career, ala Frank Beamer) who can build some continuity and, hopefully, some long-term success.

The sun did rise on Saturday, and the weekend brought even better news than the Wolfpack victory – the death of the worst tyrant of the second half of the 20th century. Yes, I join my Cuba exile friends in celebrating the passing of this despicable dictator, whose hands are stained with the blood of so many Cubans who died untimely deaths fleeing his tyranny, in search of freedom. Celebrating the death of a fellow human being might seem a little harsh, but Castro was on a par with Bin Laden and Idi Amin as my generation’s worst enemies of freedom. I only wish that Castro and Che would have died at the hands of liberty-loving Cuban freedom fighters, as they deserved. Hopefully his brother Raul will realize that Communism is a thoroughly disgraced philosophy and and will open the door to more freedoms in Cuba. if not, I hope he will join his brother soon, so Cuba can take its place among the free nations of the world.

Oh well, here’s wishing for Annapolis and the Military Bowl instead of Shreveport. The seafood is better, the scenery is better (I have been to Shreveport many times, so I am qualified to make that statement), and you can drive there. And, if Army is our opponent, it would make a good story – a military heritage second to none except the service academies and corps-of-cadet schools (Citadel, VMI, Texas A&M), playing the oldest and most storied military academy. Think Gen. Hugh Shelton, Gen. Dan McNeill, Gen. Ray Odierno, Gen. Billy Lee, and over 60 others who have achieved flag rank. We certainly can’t match Army’s heritage, but it would allow us a chance to show off what we done well – produce leaders.

As noted, I agree the Roy interview was too much. Skipper was thumbing his nose at “a hated rival” because he could.

• Paul Coder Reply

You hit a home run with your observations on the game and the fallout. I laughed my ass off while reading the whole thing.

LYAO is always Job #1 with anything I write. 🙂 … Saving Humanity from itself is Job #2.

• TheCowdog Reply

Kennel played for some pretty good ones, Coach CNR, played for some
    pretty good ones, good God, I was born to a pretty good one.

In the end:

There’s alotta good ones.

Yes. That’s true.

• OldAlphaWolf Reply

Yes, indeed, since I am immersed in Pack Paranoia, I can attest that it is real. It’s kinda like shingles, we all have it but it only manifests itself in times of stress…:-) I actually enjoyed Mack. Brer Kennel’s favorite coach is always the one we have..

IMO, Mack was fine. The extended piece with Ol’ Roy was “a bit much”. Yes, BK dances with the coach de jour until there is another one and then he dances with that one. It makes for a pretty simple philosophy.

• Tin Foil Hat Heel Reply

Just looked at CBSsports.com projections and they have the pack heading to……..Shreveport to take on Kentucky. The fighting fedorians a trip to buffalo by the sea aka Jacksonville for a skirmish with the vols. Oh and lots of good parking will be available in uptown as the belk bowl will be da U vs A&M as i dont think a win in the queen city will get the aggies heading off to chiclen ranch in celebration. In regards to the season that just was the fedorians finished about how I thought they might but not in the manner they did…but at least Jones got a couple of great calls to add to his aircheck. Next year is gonna get dicey and will serve as a real litimus test.

The phrase “headed to Shreveport” has become a punchline. Really impresses recruits… 😜 Our two sleeping giants are snoring.

• Tin Foil Hat Heel Reply

More like a bridge troll and a garden gnome

There are plenty of programs that would like to boast of both NCSU and UNC’s bowl records and NFL alumni. And plenty who wouldn’t.

Remember Pam (Victoria Principal) Ewing’s line in her boudoir outfit…”Bobby, I had the STRANGEST DREAM…” To wit…

Hillary to Bill, in a text of course as she and Bill have not shared a bedroom since 10 year PRIOR to Monica….”Bill, I had the STRANGEST DREAM….I thought that rascally rabbit haired bigot, Donald Trump, won the election….but Jill Stein assured me that it was JUST a dream…”

AD Yow talking to Coach (for a lifetime) Doeren…”I had the STRANGEST DREAM and told Bill (my husband…not WJC) that I thought you beat UNC yesterday….despite all the idiot coaching mistakes that were made in Q3 and Q4…..and that I, the omnipotent NCSU AD, Debbie Yow, was going to LET YOU HAVE ONE MORE YEAR….”

Trace Armstrong (Tom Herman’s Agent) to Herman….”Tom, I had the STRANGEST DREAM. I dreamed that you met with the LSU MFC and they smoozed you like BOTBob did the Butcher. You shook hands with them and said…..I AM YOUR MAN….WE HAVE A DEAL”. Now, I know that was not possible as you were STILL waiting for that idiot to fire Strong so you could have your dream shot…Hookem Horns…and that includes my 15%

I had a strange dream this morning….I watched the opening segment of Jay Leno’s garage with Joe Biden and Colin Powell and heard Powell talk about his C7 Vette…. and suddenly I was talking to a C7 car salesman…..You would think that I have a Post Trump upbeat reaction and think that I really need such….my 16 YO C5 (RED of course) is STILL a classy ride….

I would tell you that my hypothesis of how UNC avoids the death penalty (BB) is now SHOT DOWN. Little Miss Light Blue Smurfette had a DONE DEAL. She told Bubba to hire a High Profile LGBTQ Head Coach…that would say “Up Yours (or wherever) to the NCGA. The NCAA will issue a statement that the N&O is actually an Alt-Right Fake News Organization and that all their investigative reporting information was the result of hackers from Russia and Pack Pride and NOTHING ever happened….

I also did have a negative, but humorous reaction to the “Roy just got off the plane” bit. If I did not know that Roy and Larry are God fearing Christian Family men, I would have wondered what REALLY happened AFTER their hour and a half celebration in the locker room? Even my UNC buddies turned off the sound and it was rated #1 or perhaps #BS-UNC of the low points of sports broadcasting…

Yesterday’s massacre in the Pines, to a LOT of BOTH UNC and NCSU Fans was a Lose-Lose. The Hat ain’t leaving. Gene ain’t getting promoted. Dave Doeren ain’t leaving….UNC is destined for the Deplorable’s bowl…where every mud covered PU has to have a TWO gun rack and ONE of them MUST be an AR-15….converted to Fully Auto fire….LOVE IT….

Do millennials remember Pam Ewing?

Playboy September, 1973. The voluptuous Victoria Principal. Hubba Hubba!!

I first recall VP in a “disaster-movie” Earthquake with Charlton Heston and Marjoe Gortner. She had a Kaepernickian afro.

• Porcophile Reply

A disreputable coach from Auburn, at least four thugs in the backfield, nearly 800 grand in hush money — and still our defense sucks. What’s it going to take?

Not in our lifetime my friend… and UNCCH is not even a Girls’ Soccer School any more…. sigh.

• Wildatheart Reply

I did not mind Mack at all but I thought Roy overstayed his visit. Contrary to most of our looney fans, I think Doreen gives us the best opportunity for long term success. We really are light years ahead of where we were in TOB’s last year. We have depth at every position. Our players really do look like FSU and Clemson when they get off the bus. They are doing well in class. And everyone of them that I see at practice address me as “sir”. Doreen is still young by head coaching standards and he will learn from his mistakes, plus he WANTS to be here. But what do I know. I do know I like the Big Ten mindset of being more physical than the other team – especially when it is UNC.

DD has definitely run a clean ship as far as thug-aletes. I’m sure he scored points for that and SHOULD. I’m not qualified to judge talent or coaching acumen, just scoreboard. He, DD, seems like a “good man” if a bit easy to rattle. Yesterday earns him considerable “cred”. I think.

• Wildatheart Reply

Yeah in terms of being “rattled”. He is human and only 44 (I think). Every coach will tell you that they don’t read the papers or pay attention to the internet, but you can tell by his comments that if he really doesn’t, then someone is telling him what those sources are saying.

In the never-ending coach/AD versus board monkeys war… NEVER LET’EM SEE YOU SWEAT. Once they know they have your goat, you’re toast. The slow agonizing death of Lee Fowler was a prime example.

• Tuffy the Wolfdog Reply

BobLee,

The vintage Tears of Switzer make a most excellent aperitif to today’s leftover lamb chops. As I munched on some Ramses hindquarters on the sideline yesterday, I was most surprised at the first half Macro-aggression by the black-clad snowflakes masquerading as student athletes. Perhaps Fedora can move to Las Vegas and replace Siegfried and Roy’s animal act with the Larry and Ol’ Roy’s Eligibility Major Circus. Larry looked quite fabulous trying to horse collar tackle his thug-alete on ESPN … a technique I’m sure he teaches all his players. Can you answer me one question though? I think some serial polygamist graduate of yours asked it best: “What is it about this place that neuters males with such abandon, even mascots?” I guess I really wasn’t really all that surprised based on what I saw in the stands, all dressed up in powder blue, three fingers gently holding the stem of their wine glasses and woefully whispering “Hillary”.

I did not see any wine & cheesers but I DID see a cadre of very sad “snowflakes” in the student section. VERY frightened looks after that early breakaway TD. Then continually looking for “a safe place”. I never saw a expansive stadium camerashot so no clue as to those infamous aluminum corners. … All in all NOT a very good day for the Chapel Hill locals. As for those taking a double shot of Hillary AND their “team” only Bre’r Kennel was able to get a respite from that sorrow.

• Radio_Smuggles Reply

Breaking: Strong out, Herman in as well as Big Ed down in the Bayou. My two cents. The Hat’s chance to move to either Austin or Baton Rouge was not determined yesterday at Kenan. Real football schools aren’t interested in quaint little contests that matter only between two NC interstate highways. 8-4, Hell, 9-3 is not impressive to real football boosters. Larry will have to show some team defensive prowess to go along with his offensive game if he wants to move up to the rarified air of a juggernaut school. Talent, AKA thugs – lots of em – are required for any ambitious guru to maintain guru status. Tis true that not even a guru can make chicken salad out of chicken s**t.

Agreed. I never saw LF as a Top Tier candidate at LSU or UT but rather a back-up to a back-up or going to a 2nd Tier program vacated by Top Tier candidate… such as replacing a Mike Gundy at OkState… or MAYBE replacing Herman at Houston. My bet to replace Herman at UH is Lane Kiffen. If Chad Morris goes to Waco, SMU opens but I don’t see that as a fit for LF UNLESS he really really wants to return to Texas.

• Fozzy Reply

How about Lincoln Riley to Houston?

I see him (Riley) on Houston’s short list but maybe a better fit at SMU if Morris goes to Baylor. A first-time HC is always a risk. The world is full of Great Coordinators who don’t make good HCs. Norm Chow being a perfect example. Different skill sets needed. Also, Texas Tech might be ready to jettison Kingbury. Riley has Lubbock roots.

In Baton Rouge, every fat cat booster wanted Joe Alleva to hurry up and fire Les Miles in the middle of the season just so Ed Orgeron could be hired thinks no one EVER.

Joe Alleva probably ended up with a decent pick… despite totally screwing up at every point along the way.

• Todd Reply

Kids at UNC are not distraught. Classes will go on as planned. No this is not our coach protests. I do want your take on Dean Smith being larger than Touchdown Jesus at NCAA.

Certainly Saint Dean is “a Saint” in many eyes (not mine) both in Orange County and beyond. That he (DES) outranks TD Jesus @ ND is yet to be seen. NCAA-haters have always claimed that Juggernauts NEVER get punished. Golden Domers might argue that now although I maintain that “win foreits” are the equivalent of “do community service” as far as a punishment. If UNC gets off with “losing a banner or two” I think they will have beaten the rap.

• Bobby Earl Reply

I think next year in Raleigh the Woofies need equal airtime. Chucky Amato doing color with Gottfried coming by the booth in the second half should do it. If Chucky is still busy with the Zips, I’d take a Terry Gannon on the call. I don’t want TOB in the booth though, until Frau Yow has safely retired.

It might help your cause if an NCSU alum is CEO of ESPN.
      Bring back the late Frank Weedon. There has never been a man walking this Earth as vehemently Pro-Pack than Frank… and that includes Bre’r Kennel. I’d suggest Cowher as your guy.

• robedixon Reply

Did not watch the game and really am not concerned about who wins or loses. Find more entertainment in watching those who care and even more those who REALLY care. All this has me wondering which coach I would rather be at this moment. Fedora could have 11-1 and 12-0 seasons back to back and still find lots of aluminum in Kenan and no so called football culture in CH. Go to some high tier bowl game in late Dec. and still not get priority seating at the Carolina Club. He would be constantly looking to find a way outta there to some school that would allow recruiting of semi-literates and chances at more millions and playing on New Years Day. Dour Dave on the other hand could have back to back 6-6 campaigns for years with two or more wins each season being against some junior colleges, win the one game against UNC, go to some toilet bowl in late Dec., and still see no aluminum in Carter and State fans would consider they were on the way to being a football power. I personally like Dave’s situation.

I’m not sure EITHER scenario speaks well for human evolution… but BOTH provide me with perpetual column fodder.
      UNC will NEVER have (or deserve) a “Football Culture” and NC State will keep on “playing Solitaire with a deck of 51”. 🙂

• JDanWuff Reply

SWMBO and I were between Pinehurst and Southern Pines doing Christmas shows and picking pine cones during the game. I was only able to catch it on radio in pieces but it sounded like the typical State-UNC donnybrook.
    Sorry I missed Mack. I used to enjoy the “whine line” show he did during his first few seasons at the Hill.
    As to the fans, screw the millennials and board monkeys. I hope neither coach takes them seriously.

What Mack said (or didn’t say) wasn’t going to matter. He was guilty for “just being Mack” without saying a word. The rather lengthy interview with Goofy Ol’ Roy was “a bit much” but by then it didn’t matter ’cause Wuffs were on The Warpath.

• JDanWuff Reply

The parts of the game I heard sounded like some pretty fierce hitting was going on. But when those two teams are together, heads get cracked.

The majority of the legal hitting seemed to be being delivered by the Red team. Except for the cheapshot punch of course.

• Chip Reply

Mack didn’t bother me. He reminds me of Mr Haney from “Green Acres”. Roy? I was hoping he’d lose it with a cocked and locked BB gun.

Neither Mack nor Goofy Ol Roy should detract from your “signature win”. Feel free to BOYCOTT ESPN!! 😜

• Bob Kennel Reply

Watched the game from our “traditional” goal line seats (section 102 with 350 members of the NC State band who didn’t get to perform in that ESPN Carolina love fest)
    Half the touchdowns were right in front me, my sister, and grandson. You know we had a ball !!!!
    Elaine recorded the game, and we came home to watch the game with delicious turkey leftovers and watched the Carolina TV love fest with great pleasure. Even emailed Chancellor and AD after getting a joint email from Dr. Meymandi congratulating Randy and NC State for the win over Ms. Folt and Carolina. Was even bold enough to tell them I hope it helped their Doeren deliberations since I have always felt that Doeren was most like our HOF Coach Earle Edwards (needing a few years to be recognized for getting things done the right way). Did get an immediate response from one of them saying, “Thanks, Bob” 😉
    All in all a very edifying day.

“Edifying” is always a good thing. I’m not sure Roy has ever used it however. 😜

Coach Edwards went 77-88-8 at State College. Do Brickyarder’s, the Wolfpack Club, and the administration over yonder share Mr Kennel’s nostalgic viewpoint?

Mr Kennel has never much cared if anyone shares his opinions or not. He believes it is their right to be wrong if they so choose.

• JD Reply

So what your saying is Larry ain’t going to Baylor?

Nope. Expect SMU’s Chad Morris to go to Waco… maybe. I suppose Larry might still be among the “back-ups”. Baylor is DEFINITELY moving on from Jim Grobe.

• OldWuf Vet Reply

I DVR’d the game, checked the score a couple of times online and spent the day outside painting while it was on. Son and I replayed it after supper last night. It was unbelievable. I try hard not to be a conspiracy obsessed Wolfie; but goodness gracious crap like that sure makes it difficult. Basically it was the tarheel network on television. They just needed to prop ol’Woody up in the corner of the booth and get Michael to come by and it would’ve been complete. It was funny thinking that ol’Roy had to show up to keep the tarheel faithful interested in a football game. I guess a village in Africa is going to get “Coastal Division Champion 2016” T-shirts for Christmas.

The “The Fix Is On” tweets from Irate Wuffies began as soon as Mack’s grinning face appeared pre-kickoff. Two Undeniable Facts of Life = (1) UNC has NO “Football Culture” and never will …. (2) Pack Paranoia should be a recognized disease by Atlanta’s Center for Disease Control. It needs its own lapel ribbon.

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply

Just curious Bob, in what way do you think the multi million dollar PR firm will spin the fact that DAVE DOEREN is UNDEFEATED in Chapel Hill?

I think UNCCH will simply try and forget that Black Friday ever happened.

• DrVinnyboombatz

That might work for all of those over there that have SELECTIVE MEMORIES.