Apathy VS Apoplexy: Black Friday amid the pines

Dave Larry
November21/ 2016

Apathy vs Apoplexy “amid the pines” on Black Friday….

Well, here we are… with what could well be the last game “amid Kenan’s lofty pines” for both “Short List” Larry and Dave WhoFromWhere. A bitter rivalry that still matters to a significant population between I-95 and I-77. …. Farm boys versus Frat Boys…. Cow College versus Commie Hill…. Two self-defined “sleeping giants” with terminal encephalitis.

The noon game on “Black Friday” befits a regional rivalry that still matters to those to whom it still matters. The Lehigh vs Lafayette of Tobacco Road. OUCH!  Can I say “Black Friday” without riling up a “posse”.  Sure… It’s a New Day in America.  Yeah, right….

What UNC FB fans there are on the Planet do care but not all that much. Wuff FB fans are in their usual apoplectic state of Fire This Coach Too.

Fedora Doeren

It is NOT a sure thing that either or both head coaches will be swan song singing…. “Short List” Larry may well be headed to “a for-real football school”, if not an LSU or a Baylor or a Texas then to whatever vacancy is created by whoever does go to one of those “football schools”. Or maybe Larry sticks around to further prove that 8-9-10 Wins with a high-scoring offense can not excite a somnambulant fan base with terminal apathy for anything played outdoors in the Fall.

On the other side of Kenan…. Dour DaveFromWherever holds Frau Yow’s AD legacy in his hands. A victim of Atlantic Division-itis and a propensity to lose the wrong games at the wrong times in the wrong places. “For wont of a nail a shoe was lost” ….. “for wont of a missed chipshot in Death Valley” a job was lost ?

Other than the Louisville Slaughter, Dave’s Wuffs could conceivably be 10-1…. “Conceivably” is a fancy word for Not.

A frustrating season-long inability to “knuckle down, buckle down… finish strong” finds the Men of Doeren needing a W in Kenan to brag (?) about going to (insert name of some silly whozit bowl somewhere) and for Frau Yow to proclaim “we’ve turned the corner” while hoping she can coast for another year or so before adiosing. Bragging about “6-6 and a Whozit Bowl” is an insult to 55,000 loyal fans who keep coming to The Fairgrounds week after week for reasons known only to them.

The WeLoveDave Fan Club is now down to Frau, Kennel, Mrs Doeren and “some guy named Gus in Garner”, but that might be enough to save him.

Speaking of 55,000 loyal fans…. “Short List” Larry would “eat a bug (Howard?)” to have 55,000 fans show up in Kenan week after week. It ain’t happening and ain’t likely to. Back-to-back seasons that Wolfpackers can only dream of…. can not fill Kenan. If Larry leaves (and who can blame him) whoever steps in (Gene The Kenan FansGuru ??) should have realistically modest expectations that there are only about 40,000 “loyal” football fans who will ever “care” enough to show up in Kenan up week after week.

The Butcher will have that many at that Whozit community college in Fort Lauderdale he has conned into a fat paycheck. If anyone knows the whereabouts of “Black Santa” tell him Butch “wants to talk” although they hardly know one another, of course.

I see Black Friday amid Kenan’s lofty pines as a toss-up. On paper The Fedorians should win by 10+.  These are the same Fedorians that flopped at The Wally two weeks ago.  It is “possible” that the Hoos beat the Hokies and The Fedorians win the Coastal and get a rematch with the Dabos in the HB2 Bowl in Orlando. If so, maybe two busloads of Carolina FB fans “might” bother to actually be there…. maybe.

More likely the Heels do NOT make The HB2 Bowl and go instead to a Tier Two Whozit Bowl with only one busload of UNC fans bothering to show up.

The Wuffs have to assume they are fighting for Dave’s job.  Frau ain’t talking but The Brickyard Lynch Mob is …. and if Bobby Purcell’s Fattest Wuffs are hearing them, a whuppin’ amid the pines COULD bring out out the ax.   I don’t think so.

So long as 55,000 keep showing up, even if they leave at halftime, Frau can assume they will show up again next year so why make an expensive change ???

Do I think this is “Short List” Larry’s last game in Kenan?  A definite Maybe…. or maybe not.

If Jimbo stays in Tally, and if Ed “O” can beat aTm, I see Ed “O” staying at LSU.

Charlie Strong is dead meat in Austin.  That one is Tom Herman’s to turn down.  Orangebloods much prefer a nice, polite “white guy”.  OUCH!  Tom does NOT turn down Texas.    That opens Houston which would have some appeal to Larry but not a lot. It gets him back home but not in a Power Five and Houston has issues of its own.

Larry to Baylor ?? Grobe is outta Waco the day after his last game so Baylor is certainly “in play”. Larry was an assistant at Baylor but Baylor whupped Larry’s Heels like a blue-haired stepchild last December. Larry would bring a high-scoring Briles-esque O to Waco that Les Miles won’t… Larry or Les is a toss-up. Baylor is also “under a cloud” of scandal. Does Larry want to inherit Another Scandal?  IF Larry does get offered Baylor, I say he takes it.  Bye bye Bubba.

Delusional Wuff loonies dreaming of Les Miles or Charlie Strong coming to The Fairgrounds are the same delusional wuffies who dreamed of Calipari, Phil Jackson or Pat Riley leading Wuff BB out of The Wilderness.  Frau will go get another Who From Somewhere and proclaim him the long-sought messiah…. yawn.

Larry only leaves UNC for either an SEC or Big 12 gig. He knows those recruiting areas and won’t subject his family to any other part of the country. Oklahoma State is THE job that Larry absolutely takes if Boone Pickens calls… and that COULD happen but where does Gundy go??

If Larry whups Dave on “Black Friday”…. Dave is standing on two banana peels and Larry can cherry pick NC area recruits and continue to average 40 pts/game in front of “maybe” 45,000 fans for another year.

If Dave somehow wins, Frau is a very relieved and happy Frau… and 40,000 UNC FB fans are really pissed that Larry lost to BOTH Duke and State… and Carolina FB fans become even harder to find next Fall than they already are.

##

Well heck… I’ve run out of space and I haven’t discussed the ramifications of Lebron being pissed at Phil Jackson for saying “posse”. THAT is the tip of a VERY VERY BIG Iceberg that we definitely need to talk about at length. We’ll do it next time ….

##Em Vivian

Oh, Oh, Oh …. Newly weds Emily & Danny celebrated their one-week anniversary by going to Chicago to meet Kinston’s Mega Celebrity Super Chef Vivian Howard (Chef & The Farmer). Vivian was in The Windy City on a book tour for her cookbook – Deep Run Roots. “I was born in Kinston too” was NOT what Vivian expected to hear from a Chicago fan.

##

Uh Oh…. AgentPierce on that Hamilton Thingy and other stoopid crap – CLICK

• thailand Reply

Those ole fat cats and that unseemly sport of BTCF, and State and Coach Doeren….
    _________________________________________________________
    State had quite a few empty seats at Carter against Miami–from my viewpoint in Bangkok
    __________________________________________________________
    One and done players, 4 and done coaches, and on and on.
    ___________________________________________________________
    Remember grabbing a couple of tickets at the gate at Carter with my daughter a few years ago….an old classmate of mine (who played running back for Lou Holt’s team) tapped me on the shoulder as I settled into Section 25. Sitting with his wife he seemed troubled and told me he was bothered by my presence because he had spent ten thousand dollars for the right to sit in his seats–My savvy daughter looked at me and sensing his rudeness exclaimed out loud–“Gee Dad, we got a deal–we only spent $25!” 🙂
    __________________________________________________________
    State does have great fans and a few too many board monkey’s. But Coach Doeren did fire his offensive coordinator (tough bizz), so he has to imagine how a firing will feel. His multi million dollar contract and his severance pay should ease the pain, but I still say keep him–he is really close to being a Dick Sheridan. Would Coach K be in his 25th year at Army? 🙂 __________________________________________________________________________________
    From Bangkok–thailand

It is “a damn tough bizness” and DD should know that. That big $$$ contract has fish hooks buried in it. … it is an odd world ruled by fat cats and board monkeys …. sigh

• PTH Reply

Earnest Angley was my favorite TV evangelist. When he would hit them in the head and they would fall backwards, I knew he had to have been a fan of “rasslin” , oh man what a show. The Baptist minister in my home town had several children near my age and some near my younger brothers ages. The parsonage was right across from our house and they did not move there until after my older brother and I had left home, but my younger brothers were good friends with the younger ones and still are to this day. The one who is really close to my younger brothers eventually became a minister, Baylor, and we always kidded him that he should become TV evangelist. We always said he would have to get a wig because his hair was too thin and red and all tv evangelist had big hair black, slicked back and all poofed up. He always laughed about it and said he just didn’t have necessary level of BS.

I’ve heard the name but don’t recall ever seeing his show. I grew up with Oral Roberts and his faith healing and Jimmy Swaggert and, of course, Jim & Tammie Faye !! 🙂

• PTH Reply

Swaggert has his own tv channel and can still cry with the best of them. I once lived in the same development that Jim and Tammy lived in on Lake Wiley. We would occasionally see them in the local pub. The cove they lived in was close to where I lived and we would always have to take visitors into their cove by boat. They had 24/7 security and the security guys would always come out to the shoreline though it was public up to the high water mark. I have heard that “moons” were seen on occasion though I have no proof of it. I have never understood why people would give their money to these people, it baffles me that anyone would actually do that. Hey it’s their money and if it makes them feel better then I guess it’s OK, but it still baffles me, but then arguing about who can pee where with what equipment baffles me too.

That would be The Ervin CO’s Tega Cay.

• Bob Reply

I say Lincoln Riley. Get Ruff from Virginia as a recruiting coordinator and put the Leach band from ECTC back together. Just like the line from that poker movie, Pay the man. Move on. Later BobLee. PS, steer your new son in law clear of the “TV ministry thing” , it seems to create problems.

Lincoln to NCSU would be interesting especially if LF stays at UNC. Competing Flying Circuses ?? The Young Wunderkin likely has his choices of various Texas-area schools. Texas Tech might open up where he was a GA under Leach when Ruff was an Asst. If Chad Morris makes a move then Riley to SMU ?? I don’t know about his skills as a CEO. Gurus don’t always make effective CEOs…
      SIL Danny is more a theologian than a fire/brimstone guy. I can see him teaching at a seminary or at a Wheaton-type college. Fortunately neither he nor Kid are $$$-motivated at least not now.

• The Donald Reply

This is the Year of the Red State. One of my first acts as President will be to Make State Great Again. That starts on Black Friday for those Blue people in Carrboro that did not vote for me. I sense a 31-27 victory for the red team. I will have ICE deport The Blue Smurf Chancellorette to her Dartmouth safe space if my Pack of Wolves falter. I also plan to have AG Sessions look into the NCAA investigation … something fishy going on there still says General Shelton. Gotta run, this Cabinet Selection process makes the NCAA Basketball Tourney look legit.

Looking good Raleigh, tell that Cooper fellow I have my eye on him for Ambassador to North Korea. I hear they are very supportive of HB2 there.

The Donald

Good to know. The Coop to NK sounds like a winnah.

• OldWuf Vet Reply

DD doesn’t frustrate me any worse than all but one of our previous 7 FB coaches(Saint Sheridan being the only exception). I still have a good time when I go to a game and tailgate with friends (once or twice a season). I’ll probably never be a season ticket holder, and certainly not a PSL. I’m still waiting for Bobby to comp me for all the tuition money I spent for my degrees and the two kids’ tuition. I figure that’ll get me a parking spot next to Mr. Murphy. I like ol’DD. I’ve been impressed with the young men he’s brought in. He seems to have kept the thug level down to the minimum requirement. Heck, let the giant sleep another year. Our messiah just ain’t out there.

By golly… that is an incredibly mature and quite antiquated POV! You are correct to my knowledge that DD has had few IF ANY thug-alete incidents… which may explain that one needs “thug-aletes” to Win at the Power 5 level. Boy Scouts don’t cut it? I’m betting the “character-building” paragraph in his contract is IN THERE but below the “on-field success” paragraph. … if my sources are correct (I’m not vouching for them) the buy-out aspect of DD has been worked out somehow by someones.
      I have never been RICH in $$$ so I can’t conceive forking over millions of my “fortune” just for Bragging Rights. Obviously there are those who willingly do so. Them and I likely have other differing views on life priorities.

• OldWuf Vet Reply

That’s definitely the conundrum. The coaching door will continue revolving. As you’ve said, you have to push the number of thug-athletes to compete at the higher level. Without complicit faculty, local LE, media and a majority of boosters it ain’t gonna happen. Personally I’m fine with Boy Scouts, fairly regular trips to a whozit bowl, and an occasional victory over a baby blue-clad opponent. But then again, I ain’t Frau and Bobby’s target audience

Accepting that “I’m not their target audience” is a rite-of-passage I went thru about 15 years ago. It helped my coping ability a great deal. And not just with sports. 🙂

I’ve been told off-line today by two separate WPC members of significance that DD is “toast” regardless of Black Friday’s outcome. Frau was given a minimum expectation in pre-season by WPC hierarchy and 6-6 will not meet those minimums much less 5-7.
    I’m only passing on what I am being told. I do know the individuals telling me and they are “adult level-heads” not whack-a-doodles by any means. We shall see….
    Based on DD’s public persona, he does not strike me as an adept “schmoozer” of Fat Cats… neither is Larry Fedora. Not building allies over time can be detrimental when storm clouds gather as they are now.

• Radio_Smuggles Reply

It’s so obvious that even Jeff Healy could have seen it.

Was he the former ECU AD?

• Radio_Smuggles Reply

Jeff Healey. Blind house bandleader in Roadhouse. 😎

“I thought you’d be bigger…. “

Personal opinion….based on some TG grazings over the past few weeks.
    Big boys with name plates on Wolfie bling have figured out how to form on time burner entity to raise $$..$2.5KK to buy out Doeren.

If The Hat adds another W, it will be a win-win for Wolf Pack. Doeren & Hat will both contact Realtors. AD Yow is pretty gutsy, but can read the graffiti in the FREE EXPRESSION Tunnel. She also has a camera in Randy’s waiting area, like Trump Tower Lobby, and sees the aforementioned WP backers, who also put their names on Academic structurses. Will Randy ultimately make the call. Doubt it will be Two Buyouts, but you never know.
    Question is, who will lead the light blue? Obviously someone that has never heard locker room talk or looked at a coed in any way but fatherly.

What wuz da name of the hautsy tautsy Ivy League coach that won and the learned HRC student backers dropped their drawers when someone yelled…”Here comes Madonna & Monica? Obviously time for toxic male DeCon & Feminine Respect remedial counseling sessions.

What will be the Blue:Red ratio in the pines and what % will be overtly or openly cheering for The Hat?

Frau ain’t no fool. She’ll know when its time to say “Sorry Dave WhoFromWhere but it’s over….” and she’ll check the MAC and other non-Power fives for bargain whozits.
      Other than the usual diehards, I can’t see a multitude of Red invading Kenan this year. Yes, Wuffs CAN WIN it for sure… but it ain’t like the glory days of TO’B….

• Cindi.K Reply

BL… I KNEW you would be all over the Posse Thing. That screamed “Gladiator / Spectator” and you created the global awareness of that. Can’t wait for your take on it. 🙂

Indeed it does and indeed I shall before Black Friday… no pun intended. 🙂

• myowngrandpaw Reply

Between the “Star Spangled Banner” diss and the Wolfpack ineptness, My yard has never looked better.

A co-worker said he paid $55 for the debacle Miami game. I reminded him more like $200 if you figure license seating and parking fees $90 plus for 6 games.

College and pro tickets, parking and other expenses make things so prohibitive, people like myself are getting to the “why bother” stage. It is just not worth it.

I understand the ACC is beginning to entertain allowing beer to be sold at the stadiums. At $12 per 12 ounce beer, that should add a few more dollars.

Does the ACC actually think allowing people the privilege of buying a $12 beer will fill the seats?

I think they (ACC) are desperate to fill seats. I agree that “beer” even if FREE would not interest me.

• wolfbuff Reply

You reckon Butch got a box full of burner phones as part of his package?

The Butcher taking that gig mystifies me. No clue what his motive is? Does he simply want to “be a coach” somewhere / anywhere? I knew he maintained a condo in Ft Lauderdale so maybe thats it. The only way he turns FIU into a “power” is to go 100% Rogue and buy himself every thug he can find in Liberty City and similar environs. He DOES know how to do that. He could create trouble for Mark Richt for sure.

• Allen W. Smothers Reply

He tried to do that in Chapel Hill… In Miami, he’ll be able to get away with it! That’s why he took the job, he knows they don’t care… He wants to win, has no problem breaking every rule ever written and he’ll get a BIG job at a place that cares even less, but wants to win more!

Lets see who he gets on his staff as an indicator of his Grand Plan.

The fan dilemma. Having a coach being courted by others or having one you wish was being courted.

A “real fan” HAS to have something gnawing in his craw.

• JD Reply

Tom Herman should tell Texas to pound sand and take the LSU job. The Big 12 is not a serious football league. Its a fantasy football league. That would seem like a great spot for Fedora and his fantasy football offense. Going to Baylor is nothing more than a lateral move and he will be stepping back from a talent perspective.

I don’t believe LF has the Star Quality UT craves… but maybe. Can LF (or anyone) bring in enough talent to Baylor without resorting to mega-thugs like Briles did ?? If offered UT I’m sure LF would take it ASAP. OkState or aTm are probably Larry ‘dreamiest jobs” but certainly UT or LSU qualify. A Fedora offense at LSU would be a welcomed radical change for them. A loss to NCS on Black Friday could possibly “monkey wrench” all of them.

• JD Reply

So Texas will steal our coach and then we promote the DC to HC. It seems like I am reliving a nightmare. At least Chizik is an upgrade from Torbush.

I have no clue that Guru Gene is the #1 option but seems a likely move. Chizik HC resume is a bit more impressive than Torbush’s was. Do you have a better choice?

• JD

Les Miles, Blake Anderson, Kevin Sumlin, Charlie Strong

Anderson maybe. The others will want “a football school”.

• Old.Heel Reply

What about Oregon or ND for “Short List”?

I think “quality of life” is important to LF. Oregon is fine and he would have Phil Knight’s mega-$$$ but I just don’t see him going that far from his Texas roots at his age. Same with ND. Now MAYBE Texas Tech if they can Kingsbury. They love Flying Circuses in Lubbock. Maybe Arkansas if they can Bielma ?? But the SEC West is even tougher than ACC Coastal. … Best bet is Baylor IMO.

• TD.in.Wilmington Reply

NOBODY sums it up like BobLee sums it up. All the other pundits are biased to one or the other. You see the whole foolishness for what it is…. foolishness. I agree “Short List” Larry is likely a goner for the reasons you note. And Frau REALLY REALLY doesn’t want to can Dave.

If Larry lays a whuppin’ on Dave… Dave’s seat gets RED HOT and Frau will be in a tizzy. But I will not be surprised if Dave’s Wuffs are happy wuffs at 3 PM on Black Friday. The Wuffs ARE better than their record.

• robedixon Reply

Somehow I see this “game amid the pines” to be a lose/lose for Wulfies. If they win Dave hangs around another year to torment fans. If he loses Wulfies lose to their most hated rival. Either way those Wolfpack in the House fans suffer serious pain. Not sure which they would choose if given a choice. On the other hand are there more than a dozen or so Carolina supporters who really really care anymore who wins?

There were about 30-some Carolina FB fans at last count… that was BEFORE the ill-fated trip to The Wally. The Lose/Lose for WuffNation has to have Frau’s bloomers in a twist. Those WPC fan Caravans next Spring could get testy. Frau may need to have Kennel standing guard.