Grandstands at Wrigley Field are ….

WrigleyField2
October24/ 2016

America’s sports media is as creative and innovative as it’s news media…. i.e. “not very much at all”.   This week will be non-stop CUBS, CUBS, CUBS and more CUBS. If that bothers you go crawl in a hole for the next ten days.

Count the number of references to curses…. billy goats …. and Steve Bartman. Constrast those bazillion references to the words “Cleveland Indians” who THE CUBS are playing in The Fall Classic. As if anyone more than 25 miles of Cleveland really cares.

I am on-record admitting, several weeks ago I could not name “an Indian” unless we get into Geronimo, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse and Noc-A-Homa. I recalled a few “old Indians” such as Iron Eyes Cody, Rocky Colavito, and Herb Score. I now know former UNCAndrewMillerCH ace Andrew Miller who A-Rod says may be THE Best Reliever in Baseball History…. YIKES! They have a fine shortstop in Francisco Lindor who smiles all the time…. And Mike Napoli who plays in every World Series but never for the same team twice. They have some guy with a bloody finger and Tito Francona’s son Terry is their manager. I’ve always liked Terry Francona…. Seems like a good guy.

The fact that The Indians ARE “The Indians” and have a goofy “Chief Wahoo” as their logo is sure to be a story line somewhere. Charlie Sheen wanted to bring back his “Wild Thing” character from Major League but MLB kiboshed that idea.

If there are at least two Indian nickname protestors at any WS game expect them to both get MAX on-camera time. Because…. Well, you know why.

Because “my Cardinals” played the CUBS 19 times this past season I am very familiar with their roster. Seems like a good group of guys who really love playing Baseball”. FWIW… the Cards’ beat the CUBS 9 times which is more Ws than any other team managed to do. Gotta like Joe Maddon too.

One storyline you likely will NOT see anywhere but right here is:

The Grandstands at Wrigley Field are:
whiter than…. a member-guest at Augusta.
whiter than…. the backstretch at Talladega.
whiter than…. a Taylor Swift fan club convention.
whiter than…. (you try a few…. whiter than ______)

Baseball fandom in general is significantly “eeeevil privileged” old white folks.  MLB rosters ARE diverse but that diversity is “brown & yellow” with Latin Americans and Asian / Oriental / Pacific Rim. I can never remember which is the preferred PC-nomenclature for Japanese and Koreans. A team / league only earns “Diversity points” for pure-bred Afro-Ams who speak English and can (1) claim a great great grandparent was “a slave” or (2) “watched Roots” back in the early 70s.  Having a clue who Jackie Robinson was helps too.

Aroldis Chapman – from Cuba – the fire-balling closer for the CUBS might “look black” but cannot speak a word of English despite six years in MLB so Aroldis doesn’t count.

Speaking of Aroldis Chapman…. When the CUBS traded for him at mid-season they traded another UNCCH pitcher – Adam Warren – to The Yankees. Otherwise BOTH WS teams would have Mike Fox’s boys on their roster. Adam Warren is from New Bern which also is the hometown of a certain NC State Baseball Legend….Jemele Hill

Will ESPN CEO John Skipper (UNC’75) a/k/a The Most PC-obsessed executive in American Media be compelled to stage yet another of his whizbang “Town Halls with resident racial she-activist Jemele Hill” to decry the overt whiteness of Baseball. Lets hope not but don’t be surprised if he does so.  Particularly now that I’ve mentioned it.

Will Bozo Joe Biden’s boss be compelled to visit Wrigley for the WS despite being a life-long “South Sider”? If so, the diversity #s will ratchet up to “1”. “2” if “WideBottom” comes with him.

NOTE: I’d REALLY like to do a few paragraphs on “Bozo Joe” Biden but AgentPierce insists “Bozo Joe” belongs to him. So I will defer.

I have no “favorite team” in the WS. I will just hope for “good games” and “no one gets hurt”.

##

… I saw the latest Jack Reacher movie with Tom Cruise yesterday. Tom Cruise is NOT my (or your) choice as “Reacher” but he is Jack Reacherauthor Lee Childs’ choice. My choice was Jim Caviezel – Person of Interest, but no one asked me.

“The critics” are panning the movie, but “the critics” pan most movies. I LIKED IT. It has everything you expect in such a movie ….. lots of badass butt-kicking …. A REALLY sadistic bad guy that you KNOW Reacher will kill in a big finale fight scene … and he does. No Sex…. Not a bit. Reacher / Cruise utters some terse mono-syllables and in the end “Reacher” is hitchiking to his next movie….

##

Big Time College Football’s WEEK 6 or 7 or whichever it is….

Weeelll…. Urban Meyer ain’t as popular around Columbus OH today as he was on Friday. Urban’s Buckeyes got upended in Happy Valley. tOSU still has a chance at a Final Four but they are standing on a banana peel. As with all Juggernauts…. ONE L and their “seat” gets warm. TWO L’s and the Twitter threats begin…. THREE L’s and its “hire armed bodyguards” time. Tough Bizness.

Texas Longhorns under Charlie Strong lost their umpteenth game. An ESPNer Adnan Whozit reported that “the noose is tightening around Charlie Strong neck….” and KABOOM…. Before you could say “NEVER say noose about a black guy” ESPN CEO John Skipper (UNC75) (1) fell out of his chair…. (2) Burst three bloodvessels in his neck…. and (3) was about to fire Adnan Whozit before ESPN’s HR stooge reminded Skipper than Adnan is some sort of Middle Eastern-guy and therefore can’t be fired.

Skipper considered simply blaming it on Mike Greenberg.  Greeny is Jewish and Jewish is NOT a privileged minority at ESPN.  ESPN’s legal dept recommended against doing that.Jemele Hill

Adnan quickly apologized to Charlie Strong and to the descendants of any black person who (1) might have ever been lynched or (2) who saw Roots back in the early 70s. Adnan agreed to six months of intense sensitivity indoctrination from Jemele Hill.  (insert same pic of Jemele Hill from above to see if anyone notices)

Not a good Saturday in L-ville for The Men of Doeren. Playing two Top Five Juggernauts on-the-road back-back is not the best way to spend one’s mid-October. DAMN you Johnny Swofford.

Speaking of L-ville, you all saw that Tricky Ricky Beat The Rap w/ the Ho’s as we all knew he would. He might get “a Boeheim” wrist slap and have to sit out a few games against whozits but that’s it.

The Fedorians beat a Virginia team they were suppose to beat in a place they used to always lose at…. but don’t any more. The Fedorians are down to 3rd string OL walk-ons so the rest of this season COULD get dicey. Just don’t lose to “a hated rival” and what counts as “loyal fans” will be as happy as UNC FB fans can be which is “not very”.

Of the 5-6 unbeatens across the Fruited Plain…. 4-5 of’em have to play one another over the next few weeks. COULD BE some major discombobulation coming down. You know how much I do love discombobulation.

##

Tags: ,
  • JDanWuff Reply

How could you forget Jay Silverheels? “Ugh, Kemosabe.”
    If BK doesn’t get the Wide Bottom comment, maybe he should take a look. It’s pretty big.

I thought about Jay…. and Chief Thunderthud father of Princess SummerFallWinterSpring. BK “gets it” he just thinks “his side” are the only ones who should be able to demean and insult their opponents.

Ought to be a poll or survey. How many folks knew (without Google) who Chief Thunderthud was and who the main characters in the series were? I do remember his famous greeting, which became a “surfer” term…
        That little trivia detail has been bouncing about in the God given HD for many years…..and it also kicked out “Sir Winky Dinks” when I visited yesteryear. Now THAT one is really a reach for the trivia buffs. I can’t find my magic screen….but would it fit a 60″ LED”
        Cubs even series….Great Leader, CTT, of the Ooragnak Tribe will watch over Cubbies….as the Wampum from HRC Bagman (who makes 40% more than Baglady) has been paid….Cubbie’s take series 4 – 2.

Chief Thunderthud had no tribal connection to Chief Big Heart or Billy Two Rivers. Drawing bridges for Winky Dink to escape over on Saturday morning was a ritual of the mid 50s.

• WolfPack00 Reply

You are aware Iron Eyes Cody is no more an Indian than you or I?

Neither are Rocky Colavito, Herb Score …. or Elizabeth Warren. Whats your point? What about Willie Mays Hayes or Ricky Vaughn?

• WolfPack00 Reply

You’re smatter than I am!

“Smarter” ?? Just smart-aleckier maybe.
          “There’s never been a horse that couldn’t be rode… and never been a rider that couldn’t be throwed.” 🙂

Just saw this local sportscast, WCTI, New Bern, saying there were 9 former Kinston Indians involved in the 2016 World Series, most with Cleveland but Chicago as well. Lonnie Chisenhall, from Morehead City played for West Carteret HS, Pitt Community College, South Carolina, and The K-Tribe.

Did not know that. Thanks.

I fully admit guilt. I’m a shameless and deplorable bandwagon fan. For the first time in over 20 years I’m hooked on the storyline of this WS and without any help from the Mothership’s talking heads. Dual 68 and 108 year drought’s are intriguing enough. for me. Not interested in any matchups, players, managers, fan deprivation stories, or any of those squishy ESPN human interest angles. Just the games and hope it goes 7. No absolute favorite team but leaning Cubs. My oldest white son is all in for the Cubs! 😎 ⚾️

PS: Voted today. The “Democrats” were out in force. Had their game faces on. Scary. One of the wide bodied poll workers eyeballed this boomer white guy with distain.

Did “they” run your ballot thru the shredder as you watched… or did they wait until you had left the room? When you go back to revote tomorrow wear a Duck Dynasty beard and flip flops.

• Tin Foil Hat Heel Reply

MLB and fox are very smart to get these games off in the 730 window. Too bad that complete indifference by everyone under 40 will compromise a opportunity to get the game truly back in the publics eye. As for who wins I see the Indians in six as a cubs win brings about the four horsemen and I ain’t talking about ric flair and co. Fedorians duly efficient and hopefully the open date allows a couple of the big uglies to get upright. The giant has woken long enough to use the can but will slide back under the sheets as real estate agents in Austin snd maybe somewhere like south bend compile a short lists of what they think Larry will like.

The “CUBS thing” might draw curious millennials. Apparently those indifferent millennials are not NFL fans either. Maybe they are not flocking to any one “bright shiney thing” but dispersing across the entertainment spectrum ?? …
      I’m afraid the broken big uglies on Larry’s O-line are not fixable with an off-week but I don’t pretend to be an authority on such. I also don’t see Larry getting a Top Tier HC gig but certainly a candidate for 2nd Tier gigs. Don’t look for Larry to entertain any offers NOT SEC or Big 12.

• GrahamPacker Reply

As to your comment about “wide bottom”: Every time I see “wide bottom” walking away from the camera on TV I am reminded of walking behind a horse-drawn plow while cultivating corn on my Grand Daddie’s farm. But it could be I noticed the comparison because they both were brown!!!!

I can honestly say my total contempt for the Obamas is not racial but rather ideological. That America’s first “black President” has turned out to be such a radical ideologue is yet another significant setback in our country’s racial divide.

• bigalsouth Reply

Best question ever asked to Pres. Momjeans by Zach Galifianakis on his ‘show’ “Between Two Ferns”;

“What is it like to be the last Black president?”

Election is November 8. Our daughter gets married November 12. I have not contemplated what “the World” or “Life” might be after Nov 12. I am not optimistic about any of the likely options. Don’t buy “green bananas”.

There are folks that suggest removing the words Chicago and Washington from the names of their respective Pro teams would provide more value to the owners and also be more inspirational for young fans. The Native American Anti-Defamation League and Friends of Smokey have endorsed such….
    Cubs will win. It is all arranged by HRC and her Bag Lady (who makes 40% less than HRC’s Bag Man). The Umpires will take care of the final execution….there will be NO DOJ or FBI investigation…
    Global Warming has now reached such levels that Place Kicking is being impacted. Steven Hauschka (TOB’s Polish Rocket?) and his Card’s counterpart last night MIFFED 25 Yd chip shots. NOAA predicted this and Kyle Bambard was the first victim.
    Word on the street in Horse Town (Louisville) is that the local rags are running about 10:1 MORE coverage of Pitino’s NCAA NOA (brought to you my Ms. Powell) than the FB team (#5 & #6 in the polls). The Radio Broadcast this past weekend had MORE air time about the Basketball woes than the FB Game. All of UNC’s Lawyers, Consultants, NCAA Bag People, PR folks, etc. were seen getting on a special Black Ops 747 that left Horace Williams late today.
    ESPN will air a forum on all the above later this week….it will be timed to overshadow the latest WikiLeaks dump….

• Bob Kennel Reply

If it can’t be the Dodgers, Nats, or Cards, the Cubs are fine, as are the Indians if it can’t be the Orioles or Red Sox.
    Comment on “wide bottom” somewhat off-base even for BL 😞.

I’m sure the TV guys wanted Cubs vs Red Sox. I hated to see Kershaw keep his Playoff Jinx. The Baseball Gods can be cruel.

• Robert Reply

Have you seen the “average ” WS ticket prices in Chi-town? $3800!! $1600 in Cleveland! Armageddon has arrove!

The free market can be pretty amazing.

• JD Reply

whiter than…. Obama’s foresome
    whiter than…. Beverly Hill’s DNC Fundraiser
    whiter than …. Hillary’s neighboorhood

than the entire population of Chappaqua.

White as Marylyn Chambers doing a Ivory Snow commercial from behind the green door. Wonder how many will get that one?

As soon as some ESPN babe said the Cubs were in a fix because of 108 years of futility I thought they’d be OK against the Dodgers. Full disclosure: I also thought the Pack was close to a breakthrough. I thought wrong there.

I get it!
      … caught this on Twitter – Could Theo Epstein a/k/a “the Ultimate Curse-breaker” finally wake-up NC State’s sleeping giant FB program?? Theo as NCSU AD !!!

• Gary.Atlanta Reply

If the Dodgers had won we would have had more of that very creepy Larry King sitting behind Home Plate. YUCK!

VERY VERY “creepy”. The Cryptkeeper…

• Rivlax Reply

Caviezel’s not a bad choice, but my first choice would be the guy who plays Longmire.

Robert Taylor. Yeah, I can see him. Maybe a tad “old” but physically much better than Little Tommy Cruise. Actually both movies are OK if you forget Cruise is suppose to be the 6’5″ Reacher.