Shaken Not Stirred ….

Fleming Book
October19/ 2016

I just finished a terrific book I simply MUST share with you…. Simply MUST. …. Shaken Not Stirred.

Then we’ll get into the most recent ebbs and flows of local gridiron activity. Despite a growing “epidemic” of concern over plummeting NFL ratings, the status of regional bragging rights still is paramount to far too many.

Longtime BL Buddies know my two avocational passions are (1) following “my Cardinals” and (2) listening to audiobooks.  Not necessarily in that order. I have averaged over 100 audiobooks / year for the past five years. The average book is 8–15 hours. The longest one I’ve read was 26 hours. If one puts on bluetooth earphones with one’s morning coffee and taps “play” thruout one’s day when not performing pediatric brain surgery…. or similar moments of intense concentration, one can “read” a lot of books. Beach-read action fiction are usually 11-12 hours. I go thru A LOT of those.

I am evangelically pentacostal about “audiobooks”. The whole logistical process is soooo simple and uncomplicated…. everything is an MP3 file in your smartphone. I appreciate those who love “holding a book and seeing the words blah blah….” but the advantages of listening outweigh THAT…. in my opinion. If you are curious, go to Audible.com for complete details. If you can’t figure out “howGolden Typewriter” let me know and I’ll walk you thru it. Really.  Even Albert could figure it out…… maybe.

So…. I just finished The Man With The Golden Typewriter by Ian Fleming. Yes…. that Ian Fleming. It is a compliation of Fleming’s correspondence over the decade he was writing his James Bond novels. Correspondence back/forth with friends, colleagues, publishers, editors, fans, et al. Quite fascinating.

If you are not fascinated about all things James Bond just scroll to the bottom and re-live that missed chip-shot FG in Death Valley.

Fleming wrote 11 Bond novels between 1954 and his death in 1966. Casino Royale was his first but after that the order of books versus order of movies go in different sequence. Two movies – Dr No and From Russia With Love – were produced by Broccoli / Saltzman before his death. Goldfinger was in production.

This book does not focus at all on the movies or on Sean Connery etc but rather the books. His first was totally a crapshoot drawing on Fleming’s own WWII experience in British Naval Intelligence. He was NOT “Bond” at all but did know some “spies”. The first print run was 10,000 which was quite a gamble that both author and publisher were leery of.

When answering fan mail… Fleming assumed the role of Bond’s “biographer” as if Bond actually existed and he was simply chronicling his actual adventures. Reader suggestions that Bond use a different type of gun or prefer a different drink or cigarette were “passed along to Mr Bond” for his consideration.  “Bond’s gun” was the subject of extensive debate and discussion as was his choice of car.

I wonder if Ian had a NCSU’68 among his readers ???

His 11 Bond novels have sold over 100,000,000 copies. One out of five humans on Earth have seen at least one Bond movie. One of those other four is the CFO of SaidWhatMedia Corp – “Kick Butt Carrie” The Slumlord. Even Albert has seen a few. I think “Kick Butt Carrie” is kidding.

Like so many authors…. Ian “had some issues”.  His genius as James Bond’s creator was a result or in spite of his moodiness…. depression… bouts with alcohol…. marital woes… et al.  And here I thought I was the only literary genius “with issues”.

The book is full of fascinating anecdotes. My fave is the origin of the catch phrase – “Shaken Not Stirred”. You will NEVER guess where that came from…. Unless you read the book. …. Oh… and he explains what Quantum Of Solace means.

The Man With The Golden Typewriter is available thru Amazon or wherever you get your books….. CLICK.

##

Somewhat related…. As a devotee of the “espionage/crime thrillers genre”, I “read” all the top tier of authors…. Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Stephen Hunter, Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, Ben Coes, Mark Greany, CJ Box, Robert Crais, Michael Connolly, David Balducci, Clive Cussler et al; but have never got into Daniel Silva’s “Gabriel Daniel SilvaAllon”.

Silva’s Gabriel Allon is a Mossad super-assassin in a 17-book series. His books are internationally popular but I never could get into him. I have five Silva books in my queue but they were sitting unread.

With audiobooks the narrator plays a huge role in one’s enjoyment. A good book with a poor narrator is a not good listen. Ray Porter is my #1 fav narrator. Scott Brick, Dick Hill, George Guidall are other good ones. Narrating audiobooks has become a lucrative niche profession.

Allon is in the Mossad so there are lots of Israeli characters. Israeli names all tend to sound like a cat hacking up a hairball. Throw in a lot of Euro locations I could never keep straight in the first hour of listening…. BUT, I persevered. I just finished my first Silva “Gabriel Allon” book and am now conditioned to go thru the series. YIPPEE….

Imagine the pure joy of having 17 new “thriller yarns” awaiting me. Here’s hoping the possibility of a Hillary administration does not mean audiobooks will be outlawed and listeners sent off to indoctrination camps….

##

So… how many of you Wuffs cussed Mr / Mrs Bambard’s son Kyle late last Saturday afternoon? ‘Fess up…. Other than Kennell who legally adopts every single Wolfpack player in every sport every year…. Really, BK writes each of’em into his Will. Did any of you decry Young Mr Bambard?

Bambard

I have conflicting opinions re: athletes “on the big stage”.  Everyone dreams of being the BMOC …. The conquering hero …. The champion winning the race…. Etc. Throw in the buzzer-beater…. Throw/catch the Hail Mary…. Hit the walk-off HR …. Kick the Golden Goal …. Etc etc etc. Applicants for “sports hero” are innumerable.  That Dream comes at a price.

Applicants to “be Kyle Bambard” post-miss late Saturday…. Not so numerable. Kyle Bambard missed the chip shot…. And his team (and their fans) left Clemson’s Death Valley most unrequited.

Interesting about Kyle Bambard’s situation is had he made that FG he would NOT have been a HERO. It was such a routine kick that simply “doing his job” was the best he could expect…. Or “be the goat”.

I did see, OF COURSE, where “that certain faction” of Wuff loyalists did BLAME THE REFS…. Making this an Official crushing Wolfpack defeat. The sun set in the West over Death Valley…. And “State fans blamed the refs”. Life’s Predictable Certainties…. Ahhhh.

Me?… I was not surprised that State played The Dabos so tough to where a W was “a can-taste-it conclusion UNTIL …..” The Men of Doeren had not been really tested since their Disaster @ Dowdy-Ficklin.  Notre Dame in The Hurricane was an anomaly.  No one really knew how good the Pack might be. How will Bambard’s Miss affect them henceforth. …. Yes, I realize the Dabos turned the ball over a dozen times in The Red Zone otherwise it would not have been up to Kyle Bambard. State’s defense had something to do with those turn-overs.

I think the difference was Dabo’s mini-golf course and “nap room”.  Purcell will be soliciting for $$$ to build a Wuff Nap Room by next week.Comparatos

The Fedorians completed their Victory March Thru Florida thumping The ‘Canes thereby giving The Fabulous Comparato Twins bragging rights at U of Miami Law.  Have I mentioned that The Fabs are #1 and #2 in their L3 class?  They are …. yawn.

Game Three of ALCS in Rogers Centre-Toronto featured A FIRST.  A Duke & a UNCCH pitcher played in the same MLB PLayoff game.  Duke’s Marcus Stroman and UNC Super Reliever Andrew Miller (who ARod says is as good as Mariano Rivera) …. WHOA!

Congrats to Chief Wahoo and his Indians.  Keeps the WS in America PLUS really pisses-off the Indian Name Loonies.

Speaking of Fickle Fans…. CHAOS Reigns on Waveland Avenue. Bandwagon Cub fans are screaming for Maddon’s Head…. Theo’s Head…. Steve Bartman’s Head…. And even “the goat”.   The Cubs can’t hit if they set the ball on a tee.  Oh Me… Oh My! …. Should Vin come back to call the final inning as Clayton drives that fatal stake thru their heart ?? ….. Not so fast my friends. It’s Baseball and it ain’t over til that 27th out.

AgentPierce is “being AgentPierce”- CLICK HERE.

• TheCowdog Reply

I’ll fess up….
    First, I have listened to books, much as I have listened to great storytelling at the theater, opera, campfire, and of course…
    My barstool at the Apolitical Blues Lounge.

Perhaps, though, I may be saddled with a kinda’ cognitive disability, in that, I seem to retain the written more than the spoken . Therefore, I read.

Kyle Bambard. I’ll fess up here, too. When it sailed right, I yelled, “Dammit” at the TV screen , went to the kitchen, grabbed a cold one and commiserated with the kid .

BTW. Since you were the one who brought it up…It would be of fine pleasure to shake, not stir, your very first Tanquerey martini, double olive, poured into a fancy chilled glass. I know it’s never gonna happen, but if you read it…

Actually the origin of Fleming’s phrase “shaken, not stirred” plays to the fact that whenever anyone makes a martini someone will tell them they are doing it wrong and proceed to tell them how it oughta be done.
      As a former athlete you can commiserate that for every hero there are three “goats”. Such is how the balls bounce.

• Jon Sasser Reply

I am with 90LOBO. Grown men have no business harassing college athletes. I would not let my child play for a school where that goes on.

But we know it happens everywhere… with different definitions of “grown men”. I have problems with referring to board monkeys as either “grown” or as “men”.

• Jon Sasser Reply

The first time I saw honest-to-God board monkeys discussing Lil Dude I freaked out. (And I thought about you.)

People think I exaggerate these human hairballs. I don’t. And I always have to add… EVERY Fan Base Has’em!

This just in: Bobby Petrino postponed his planned motorcycle ride along the Ohio River valley this week after watching the CU/NSCU game tape. DD is still looking for a signature W since the win against ND (2-5) is looking about as signaturely as a win against Old Dominion. No way will the Pack sneak in to Jefferson County Ky now.

The Pack seems to be following Duke with these high profile opponents. Duke beats ND then Pack beat ND. Duke almost beats Lville, Pack plays Lville.

• Mike Bawden Reply

Anyone that watched the ECU-State game did NOT have any confidence in kicking game. 60-40 chance of NOT making field goal. Did Miami kicker get death threats after getting extra point blocked after not missing one up to that point. Low kick. Ask Bobby Bowden about kickers. Part of the game. State fans should be sending Dave Doeren top kicker prospects. Even that wont guarantee game winners. Kickers WIN games, not lose them. I will stick my neck out and say ALL coaches dislike leaving game to kickers. Kickers are necessary evils.

In the immortal words of Garo Yepremian…”I keeck a touchdown… I keeck a touchdown!”. Barth Brothers don’t grow on trees.

• 90Lobo Reply

I, Angel and our youngest were there in CU’s “Trustee’s Box”.
    The CU peeps put on a mighty show…and their fans are world class…kind and empathic. For the Textile Bowl…there is a brethren feel to this game. (Not QUITE Army/Navy)…but a badass U with one helluva gameday experience.
    <br<
    Reminds me of Carter-Finley…just C-F isn't as STEEP!

Pack looks strong. And my immediate reaction was EVERYONE go hug Kyle Bambard. And don’t let go!

I’ve never been to FlaState but Clem’s Game Experience is hard to beat… 80,000 in Orange, great tailgating layout etc. !!!

Wish all fans had that attitude when one of their kids “misses”. Alas, they don’t.

• Uncleron Reply

Still muddling my way through the Joe Pickett series, I really needed a break from the counter espionage genre, and Joe really fills the bill!

If you hassle Joe (Pickett) it’s going to piss off The Master Falconer. If you do that, it could cost you an ear… or your life. Nate ROCKS!

You might also try Harlan Coben’s Myron Bolitor series. Myron’s buddy Win is Nate in a Brooks Brothers suit.

BL, I had already crafted a response before I saw the zinger embedded like a Trump rally disrupting psychopath paid for by the vile creatures that BL, Politically OF COURSE, endorses.
    Don’t know about my kin and Ian. Tweren’t nobody in Catawba County named Ian in the 60’s….It was somewhat early Deliverance, prior to the massive spill of lead contaminated moonshine and the resultant inbreeding.
    Fleming was a colorful writer. Read a few of his books….saw more. I DID read some articles on him over the past years. My memory was that he was not well versed in the technicalities of being a spy and the tools or tricks of the trade. The gun thing was something, I remember that he asked a friend about. As to Bond’s superb skills at everything from Tiddley Winks to titillating the femme fatales…..that again was not Fleming’s forte. He wrote a long passage about Bond being chased (or chasing) in his Aston Martin DB-5. It was a curvy road and there was a posse of bad guys reminiscent of Jackie Gleason after the Bandit. SO, Fleming popped in a line…..”Bond quickly executed a racing shift and thus…..”. Some snarky reporter asked “what is a racing shift?” and Fleming answered…..not a clue, but I needed something to write about Bond’s driving skills.
    Fleming will be forever known as the man who brought “Pussy Galore” to the forefront….and now the media is obsessed with the word. WJC was also known to use that phrase as he described his conquests.
    Cubs seem in trouble. Maybe too much gunfire near the stadium. Maybe all the DNC paid agitators to disrupt LA pitcher’s wind-ups were exposed. Do NOT know. I THOUGHT the fix was in.

Two closing thoughts. I have not sent Kyle a note of condolences….but did congratulate the team via the AD’s email inbox. DD did the appropriate thing….he is still going with KB as the FGK. Remember that Kyle was #2 on the depth chart and was promoted due to lack of consistency of #1. FG kickers rarely come back from demotions. FGK is a MENTAL thing. If DD pulls the pin on KB and brings back the FIRST FGK, then odds are, he will be WORSE than KB….so, therein lies the issue. MOST folks that “played the game” predicted that DD would stick with Kyle….and I support that. Refs were horrible. But, that is life.
    Finally, in case AP missed his afternoon N&O update. A Superior Court jury in Raleigh awarded $1.5 Million in damages to an Ex SBI crime lab person. That was DAMAGES for Libel….by the aforesaid N&O and young (?) Ms. Mandy (her friends call her RANDY) Locke. SHE was named as the chief libeler in charge of the misquotes, out of context statements and the out and out fabrications that went into the AWARD WINNING series. Wonder if they will have to give back her trophy and banner. Did I mention that I was from Catawba County and matriculated in school with Mrs. Cherie Berry. A woman of considerable prowess and common sense…..you probably know her more as the “Elevator Lady” as she is the NC Dept of Labor Commissioner. She has been the principle punching bag of Ms. Locke for YEARS. The N&O, last election cycle, backed John Brooks. For those of us old enough and also for those of us that had OSHA compliance (worker safety) in their job title…..Mr. Brooks was the Commissioner during the Hamlet Chicken Plant fire that claimed almost 30 souls….and also got NC BUSTED by the Federal Department of Labor (OSHA) for lack of regulatory enforcement and compliance. The Feds came in and took over and it took Mrs. Berry a while to restore morale and also build a good regulatory enforcement staff that was not “OUT TO GUN DOWN” any local industry….just to show the size of their testicles…. SO, the N&O backed Brooks….wonder does not even try to figure out WHY the N&O is now backing Ralph (Hey, I was a Raleigh Mayor) Meeker who is seeking that seat to reignite his political firestorm career. Sorry for the rant….too much pent up political emotions…..you were rehabbed….so so you say….but not I….
    Gotta ask the question…..do you listen to your audiobooks whilst composing and wordsmithing your columns….? I can see audiobooks for lawnmowing or trailer frame sanding or other repetitive menial tasks….but not running a chain saw….

I do NOT listen while column-izing but do while driving, shopping, etc while by myself.

I was not following that N&O trial but Blondie was. She despises N&O much more than I do. REALLY! The punitive damages could be YUUUGE! That’ll thin the N&O reporter herd a LOT. Could zap RobRielleWho this time.

• Colonel Batguano Reply

There is not a State fan on the planet who thought Bambard would make that kick BL, and I know none blaming the refs for the L. I think your apparent perception that State fans blame the refs for Ls more than any other fan base is only due to State fans having to endure more Ls than any other fan base. Maybe it is starting to dawn on Coach Dave Midwest why we like to tailgate so much…I’m waiting for him to release the acceptable tailgate schedule for the BC game.

YOUR guy at The N&O – Joe Giglio – has been Blaming the refs for three days on his Twitter account. I assumed he was getting his info from the board monkeys.

• Colonel Batguano Reply

I’ll take your word for it … maybe he came up with it on his own. (?) The missed facemask and maybe a non call on an obvious “PI” are all I remember. I’m blaming the L on Coach Dave Midwest for terrible time/game management, and that is not a minority opinion in my circles.

I know Joe and he’s usually level-headed and doesn’t play to the mob… don’t know ??? But if Kyle kicks it… Dave and Kyle are HEROES …. Tuff Bidness!

• Dudley Moore Reply

BL,

Well, first of all, it wasn’t the refs. Six of those first ten penalties were for false starts — hardly debatable calls. As a lifelong Wolfpack fan (I graduated in ’81, my dad in ’57, my son in 2010), I can tell you that I, and my friends with whom I watched the game, expected young Kyle to miss that kick. Not only because he has been inconsistent all year, but because that’s just the way it goes for State fans. My pet theory is that Jim Valvano made a Robert Johnson-esque deal with the Devil in ’83, and for some reason even football has to pay the price.

Regardless, because we (State fans) aren’t very smart, we will soldier on, paying our on peculiar form of penance for past sins. For the record, I forgive young Kyle — as I used to tell angry fans back when my son Will was playing baseball, “that boy has a mother out there somewhere, so be charitable.”

I think it was N&O Joe Giglio pushing the Blame The Refs excuse. Certainly not ALL Wuffs go that route on every L. Can they bounce back at Papa John ??? I read somewhere that placekickers don’t have mammas.

• MaHa Reply

BL, Do you audio the Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford? I like them but maybe not your cup of tea. MAHA.

Are you kidding… I LOVE Lucas and his Porsche and the lake cabin et al. I REALLY LOVE “That F’in Flowers”. There is a New Virgil Flowers coming out next month.