A Banner for Skadden Arps ??

Banners in Rafters
August04/ 2016

Does Skadden Arps (or Bond, Schoeneck, & King) get a banner in The Rafters? …. WHO?  How many of you REALLY saw this coming? Be honest now; admittedly ridiculous in this case…. Did you really see it coming down this way?

No hemming and hawing over semantics. No pontification over “the definition of IS”. Not “the arresting officer did not quote Miranda verbatim”. Not even “….. but but everybody does it.”

UNCCH simply said “Yeah, we did IT for 18+ years. It was what it was. So what? ….. But you – NCAA –  can’t do a damn thing about it because __________.  ….. SO THERE.  Go suck an egg NCAA.”

“The glove didn’t fit…. You got to acquit.  Hahahaha.

OJ – and UNCCH – walks.  Case dismissed.  OK, not quite yet, but probably.

The obviously Guilty walk.  Is it a coincidence that Chapel Hill LOOOOVES Hillary Clinton?

In Lethal Weapon II the quite evil South African arms merchant / counterfeiter / drug dealer, whatever he was…. haughtily claimed Diplomatic Diplomatic ImmunityImmunity.  In the final scene “Riggs” puts a bullet between his eyes and the audience cheered.   That probably won’t happen in this case; but ya never know.

If you did not have an intensely partisan stake in all this, wouldn’t you say “Damn, those UNCCH’s lawyers are right. They just snokkered the big nasty souless Association.”

If this were an episode of Boston Legal or LA Law or any of a dozen other “courtroom dramas” you would be cheering this 11th hour “rabbit out of the hat” maneuver. …. But you probably DO have an intensely partisan emotional stake in this:

Those of you of the ABC persuasion are flabbergasted for lack of a better term.

Those of the Carolina Way persuasion are seeing this as some sort of reverse karma for that Villanova buzzer-beater.

Tru-Blues don’t really understand this legal sleight-of-hand but so long as no banners come down and FB and MBB go unpunished…. and all the ABCers you have to deal with are really really pissed…. Isn’t that all that matters…. Really? Especially the part about ABCers being really pissed. In the end THAT is even more important than banners and rings….

UNCCH simply went out and hired lots better lawyers than The NCAA can afford. Those very very high-priced lawyers spent countless hours considering defense options. Well actually someone WAS counting every one of those hours, and portions thereof…. and billing them at $500/per or slightly less depending on how many “associates” were in the room at any given time.Fat Cats

No. Taxpayers were NOT paying for those high-priced lawyers. Very fat Fat Cats (Rams) with Very large Egos were forking over those megabucks in a carefully laundered Save Our Precious Banners “war chest”. What price Bragging Rights?

Clients who pay $1,500/hour for legal advice are like NBA owners who give $50,000,000 contracts to the 10th man on their teams.  As outrageous as doing that may sound to “us”, in the end those gazillionaire owners are still making a profit.   Whatever Skadden Arps or Bond Schoeneck charge, UNC Fat Cats can / did pay it.

I recently paid $350/hour for legal advice.  I talked fast.  What’s “a lot” is relative.

So the dozen or so Very Fat Cats (Rams) who anted up the “whatever it costs” to pay those high-dollar lawyers could easily afford to do so. Perserving those “banners in the rafters” mattered / mattered A LOT to them. Keeping UNC FB and MBB competitive in Big Time College Sports mattered A LOT to them. Seeing their ABC acquaintances really really pissed mattered a lot to them.

In the end Lower Level Fat Cats are just as shallow in what excites them as the goobers in the nose-bleed seats.  Both google Abigail Ratchford and go WHOA!

I am saying “Skadden Arps lawyers”. That is Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom to be precise. They employ over 2,000 lawyers in multiple well-appointed offices across the country and around the world. I doubt there are still any Skaddens, Arps, Slates etc still around…. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd generation one or two. The actual attorneys who handled UNCCH’s case have remained anonymous at least to me. I assume someone over at Packpride knows their names, shoe sizes and where their kids go to private school. I don’t. …. Maybe UNCCH used another fancy law firm or several other firms. I recall Skadden Arps being mentioned 2-3 years ago so that why I use them as this example.Rick Evrard

NOTE:  Thanks to BLSays Buddy and longtime loyal BLSays reader – Jon Sasser (a/k/a “Butch’s lawyer”) – for informing us that a KC-firm – Bond, Schoeneck & King actually carried UNCCH’s water on this. Their designated Take Down The NCAA Guy – Rick Evrard specifically.  As Jon notes in his comment it doesn’t change anything except what firm’s name goes on “the banner”.  Jon assures us that Rick is “a good guy”.  We think Jon is “a good guy” so assume “it takes one to know one”.

FWIW:  Rick used to be an NCAA “goon” … that’s like an Asst DA becoming “a mob lawyer”.  In the end, his kids have straighter teeth and attend better schools.

Ken Wainstein is employed by Cadwallader Wickersham & Taft.  It is not that important to keep all these “rarified air law firms” separate unless you plan to write a book about all this some day. For sure, plenty of people WILL do just that.

If you (or a family member) were accused of something…. Whether guilty or not…. wouldn’t you want the very best legal defense you could get? If guilty, wouldn’t you want the very legal defense to minimize the penalty in prison time or $$$ you were going to be assessed for what you did? I bet you would. I certainly would.

If we can afford it wouldn’t we all seek “the best attorney” …. “best tax accountant” … “best orthodontist” …. “best _____”.  UNCCH can obviously “afford it”.

“They say” our legal system favors the wealthy who can indeed afford the best lawyers. Most of us individuals cannot afford those rarified air/hour lawyers. We hope our lawyer can beat “the DA” or whoever might be suing us or “our ex spouse or business partner” or whoever. In the movies that happens a lot where the bright young idealistic attorney goes up aainst the big, fancy law firm and pulls a rabbit out of his hat…. or does some kick-ass summation or whatever and does win. I don’t think that happens a lot in the real world. I think the “team of fancy high-priced lawyers” win more often than not.

Lawyers at big fancy high-dollar law firms who lose cases are like PGA Tour golfers who can’t make 10’ putts…. like MLB relievers who can’t throw strikes, or batters who can’t hit 95mph heat. They are not around very long. Clients do not pay $1,500/hour for “sorry Bubba, we did our best but we lost.”

The pressure to win for a $1,500/hour lawyer is every bit as intense as it is for Ol’ Roy and Nick and Calipari. Maybe not as front page but for his/her career, very much so.  The stakes were/are pretty high in UNC’s Great Unpleasantness. “Loss of banners” and penalties that would hamstring the wooing of semi-literate 17 y/os for several years were considered far too egregious to endure. What price “egos”?

What determines the hourly rate of a lawyer? I have no clue. Is a $500/hour lawyer only half as good as a $1,000/hour lawyer? Does hourly rate determine the quality of service with attorneys – accountants – automobile mechanics – surgeons ????

You know the old joke…. What do you call the guy who graduates at the bottom of his class at Harvard Medical School? The answer is “Doctor”. I’m going to guess that none of Skadden Arps’ (or Bond Schoenck) partners or junior partners or associates or paralegals graduated anywhere but very near the top at one of a half dozen most prestigious law schools.

I’m going to bet that their opponents – the legal staff at The NCAA – carry considerably less glowing credentials.

I’m going to bet the principal attorneys that are “first chair” on UNCCH’s case all make really comfortable seven-figure incomes. I’m going to bet the NCAA’s legal staff live in less opulent homes…. drive older model cars…. and belong to country clubs with much shorter waiting lists to become members.

Recruiting the best lawyers is no difference that recruiting in college basketball and football. In the end…. Talent usually wins. Maybe not always, but that’s the way to bet.  Fancy National Firms have the recruiting bling equivalent of IPFs – Indoor Practice Facilities – espresso machines in the break room and a secretarial pool that rival an NFL cheerleader squad in pulchritude.

It looks like UNCCH is going to skate whenever the penalty phase actually takes place. Women’s BB will probably be thrown under the bus but nobody cares…. Neither the Tru Blues nor the ABCers.  They agree on that.

There may be a high dollar fine but nobody cares about that either. The same bragging-rights driven Fat Cats will cover that too via various $$$ laundering techniques.

ABCers who have lived and breathed this crap for whatever 5-6-7-8 years will continue to live it and breath it and wake up each morning and type UNCheats on a Twitter thread. For them it will never be over. It is the Herpes of Scandals. They will despise all things UNCCH for all the reasons they have been bred since birth to do so…. many of which are quite justifiable reasons.

For UNCCH Tru Blues…. About the only question left now is today’s title….

Does Rick Evrard Get A Banner?

I would say YES…. but I don’t get a vote.

More BobLee Says ??  LINK.

Tags:
  • Mike Reply

Okay. You got me. Even my wife said “WHOA!” when I showed her Abigail Ratchford.

Abigail is a WHOA-kinda girl for sure…. 😎 …. Beyond the “obvious” a very beautiful girl.

• Allen W. Smothers Reply

The bottom line BobLee is its the exact same thing we’ve seen throughout our lifetime the Cheaters fire a double-fisted middle finger to the NCAA (as they have every other school’s fanbase), and say, “we’ll do whatever we want, whenever we want, to whoever we want and there’s not a damn thing you’re gonna do about it!” … And we ALL know that the NCAA is going to bend over, grab the ankles and say, “Thank you Sir, may I have another!” BUT, as I’ve stated on my radio show since the Wainstein Report was released, “WE ALL KNOW WHAT THEY DID FOR AT LEAST THE LAST TWENTY YEARS, SO NO MATTER WHAT THE NCAA DOES, THEIR LEGACY IS CHEATING & LYING… ACROSS THE ATHLETIC DEPT BOARD… PERIOD! THEIR PUNISHMENT BE TO FOREVER BE KNOWN AND REFERRED TO AS THE CHEATERS! WHEN PEOPLE MENTION “CHEATERS,” YOU’LL KNOW THEY MEAN THE UNIVERSITY THAT PERPETRATED THE MOST HEINOUS ACADEMIC FRAUD & CHEATING SCANDAL IN THE HISTORY OF THE NCAA!!! The Wainstein Report proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that everyone employed by the school was complicit in the friaud… Those are the facts and they are undisputed! No matter the legal ramifications from here UNTIL THE END OF TIME… The Cheaters in Chapel Hill will forever be known and should always be referred to as such… At least they will be by me and everyone in The PressBox-nation!

You might want to throttle back on the hate obsession Allen. Nothing emboldens a fanbase like “Everybody hates us” …. “it’s Us against The World” …. Duke has thrived on that fact for years. … Taking nothing away from the blatant enormity of the 20 years of malfeasances, the residual NEVER FORGET will be strongest 25 miles to the East of Franklin Street. As one moves out in 100 mile concentric circles the burning hatred will diminish considerably. Folks in Texas, California, et al already go weeks / months at a time without saying UNCheats or even knowing who Wainstein, Nyang’oro, Mary or That Damn Dan are….

• Dr Wire Reply

Being from Clinton, I recently read where David Parker, a Clinton native, son of the former Editor of The Samponian (Park newspaper) then the Sampson Independent, is retiring after a couple years stent as Interim General Counsel to unx after several years as on the GC’s staff.

His name should be in the fine print on the new banner. He took a lot of heat for hiring BSK instead of hiring a fine quality NC firm in his first month in his position. In retrospect that decision followed the exit of his predecessor who you could speculate was not willing to do what DP did, but that reads like similar protocol used by BOT3 in hiring BD without Dickie’s knowledge.

DP leaves in August to be replaced by a Charlotte hot shot unX trained attorney who just happens to be the incoming President of the NC State Bar.

This last legal maneuver seems like a scorched earth move where unX has no respect for the NCAA as long as they are left untouched. Similar procedures have worked well for the Democrats in the last 2 decades: WJClinton’s circle the Democrats’ wagon action to keep him in office; Gore’s sore loser legal actions on SCOTUS decision on 80 election when historically candidates accept the statistics for the betterment of continuity of the democracy; HRClinton’s “I did not lie to the FBI” but the question was “did you lie to the public”.

So Georgia could have used this same legal strategy when the coach’s son was teaching a class to basketball players on “Theory of Basketball”? I can easily see the coming of a new degree path, BFA-Athletics similar to my wife’s BFA-Dance degree from The Ohio State Univ.

Actually Dickie knew BOTBob and his BOT3 were hiring Butch, but neither his opinion nor his permission were asked for nor necessary. His “job” was to bring the doughnuts to the meeting.
      UNC has a Vice Chanc of Spin at $300,000 who “job” is to hire an outside NYC PR firm for millions. And a General Counsel at $3-400,000 whose “job” is to hire a national law firm for more millions. Meanwhile Dickie, Deborah, Julius & Boxill enjoy their lifetime golden parachutes. LOTs of hogs at the trough, huh! … and a handful of low-level functionaries get thrown under the bus….
      But who cares so long as The Banners are safe… DAMN that DanKane. DAMN that Mary Willingham. HARK THE SOUND & Pass the Kool-Aid Choo Choo!

• Mac.Columbia Reply

BL, so who is Abigail Ratchford? Will there ever be a public accounting of the legal fees for all this?

Google her and find out. I promise nothing that will “give you a case of the vapors”. I stumbled upon Miss Ratchford several weeks ago. She is, I gathered, an acquaintance of Johnny Manziel and has the nickname “The Queen of Curves”.
      I don’t know what falls under the public information statute. I assume those fees will be an expense item in some budget. Will the legal fees match the lifetime pension parachutes for Dickie, Deborah, Julius and Boxill ???

Ms Ratchford certainly has ample curves. Impossible for me to afford the maintenance costs. Kinda like owning a Ferrari. No doubt, an extended warranty wouldn’t be much help when gravity starts doing what gravity does either.

Abigail is quite a sight !!! Even with a mammarian reduction she would still be quite a “looker”.

• Bob Kennel Reply

BL, I take back the compliment I paid you for your openness. The N&O actually did a series of good and thoughtful articles by 5 separate writers, none of whom were Kane or Sanders. And yes TGU is leaving a permanent stain (stink) on the University, the System, and the State.
    Never said anything about the South, the US, or the planet so read more carefully, or something. I have also not introduced any political views in my response, but man, could I ever 😂

Always feel free to include anything you wish BK. I will always get the last word but I will NEVER edit a syllable of what you have to say.
      TGU leaving a stain on UNCCH? Absolutely. On its most hard-headed alumni / fans? Absolutely. … on “The System” or The State? Maybe within your universe BK.

BE ADVISED: It has always been my policy to provide a personal reply to every reader comment. I’m not aware of ANY website in the Milky Way Galaxy that does that. My reasoning is if you take the time to comment, I owe you the respect of acknowledging your comment. …. and, in the case of Kennel, to offer a quick anti-venom antidote to his foolishness. 🙂
    If I am away from BLSays HQ, I have only my iPhone for seeing comments. I HATE trying to type sentences on that itty bitty screen. Be Advised… if your comment gets posted without my personal reply… it WILL get a reply when I m back to my full-size keyboard, monitor et al. Please don’t get all goofy that I don’t care. I do care.
    Today for three hours I was “over yonder” in the belly of the beast (dodging Priuses loaded down with bumperstickes). Always a fun experience. I approved/posted comments as I received them… and replied when I was back at BLS HQ.

• Bob Reply

I am wondering why UNC-CH needed so much extra time for this response. It appears that the response could have been written while eating a burger at Hardee’s. Billing hours for additional profit ? I never understood how Crowder and Dr N were given immunity, but required to speak to the NCAA , and then refused to speak with them. How long before the pr campaign that UNC-CH was unfairly treated ? Later BobLee

Actually Chancellor Chihuahua recently announced YET ANOTHER Asst Vice Chancellor of Ethics, Obfuscation & Spin who for $150,000/ye, will report to The Vice Chancellor of Spin & Obfuscation.

• Mike Bawden Reply

I just hope there is a Dexter Manley case in there somewhere!

There certainly could be. Julius Peppers was borderline “Dexter”. Of course many might say Chris Washburn was too.

• Mike Bawden Reply

No argument there.
        BUT, STATE fired chancellor and AD/basketball coach and cracked down on academics. Thus the title of the book, “they gave me a lifetime contract and then declared me dead” Valvano.
        The book was very candid and explained how Lowe could play four years and only have 36 credit hours.
        Chancellor Montieth cracked down so hard on academics it became arecruiting tool for rival schools. I point to Charles Kornegay who had to transfer to a less academically strict Villanova.
        It was not a surprise OBrien went off on Winters. It is still a struggle for State coaches to keep players eligible.

Thank You! “Many” State fans don’t know that V was dismissed over academic-related issues and NOT “free sneakers & a handful of tickets”. It was about recruiting players not equipped to do college classwork. UNCCH found ways around that !!!

• Mike Bawden

Unfortunately UNC is right. Once an athlete gets past initial entrance, it is up to the school to deem an athlete eligible. The NCAA does not want to get into grades and curricula. Valvano knew that and Poulton went along with giving incomplete for classes they woud have failed. Professors wre off the hook. Being an engineering school, the professors woul not “give” grades. UNC does not care. As professors that have fought back were punished. If Gottfreid could accomplish what Calipari has done with “one and done” players State basketball could compete. Academics would be a moot point. Sad is it not. ALSO, Cheney and John Thompson fought the Knight commision getting tougher on entrance requirements. Deemed it would be “unfair” to minority players. Academics is NOT part of the NCAA. i laugh everyttime the NCAA runs one of their ads “90% of athletes will go on to other professions”. Pretending academics is important!

No one would say all NCSU majors are as demanding as the Engineering / Science /Math areas BUT a STEM school is not going to have the % of “fluff” majors that a Lib/Arts school has. That UNC FB / MBB have not benefitted from those “wink wink” curriculums is a given. Any time the NCAA brags about “student-athletes” they are including all the “olympic sports”. Academic figures for just FB / MBB are never mentioned, for understandable reasons.

• Bob Kennel Reply

BL, this is what I love about your articles.
    To the point with some humor thrown in. Thoughtful w/o too much emotion thrown. Even the willingness to be corrected if you honor the editor.
    Your nemesis N&O has had half a dozen very detailed and thoughtful articles the last two days. I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around all the legal arguments and truly have no idea where the penalty phase is heading. Not confident any haymaker will be landed, but do believe the overall picture is disturbing enough that the COI may rise up strong, even with years of litigation possible. This I do know:
    1. UNC-CH is admittedly guilty, though not yet embarrassedly guilty.
    2. Not with my typical Wuff persona, I would be embarrassed for them because the smell won’t go away for them, the UNC System, or the State of North Carolina.
    3. Still don’t know how to communicate any of this with UNC-CH friends who don’t know how to act either.
    4. Will wait 3 more months to see how I feel then.
    5. In any case an ugly mess, totally avoidable, which has messed up the social fabric of NC.

There are the usual heavy dosages of Kennelian Hyperbole in your concerns BK. That TGU has permanently stained The System – The State – The South – The USA & The Planet might be a bit much. Never sure who your focus groups are for those types of societal observations. … Likewise that articles in The N&O are read by any significant % of the public. That might have been the case 10-15 years ago… not any more… less so each day Is Barry “The Colonel” Sanders still writing a column for them?
      That all said… It certainly is an ugly mess and certainly has exposed The Carolina Way as a complete sham to all but the total C-Kool-Aid addicts. Be advised there are A LOT of those C-Blue Kool-Aid drinkers to deal with.

5. “In any case an ugly mess, totally avoidable, which has messed up the social fabric of NC.”
      And it’s being defended and acted out by UNC-CH leadership which leans politically towards your political view sir. In fact those in leadership positions of entire university should be ashamed but they’re not at least publicly. I wonder what Bubba really thinks of this mess deep down inside? Not quite the “depends on what your definition of “Is” is but very Clintonesque nevertheless. Machiavellian even.

• wolfbuff Reply

I’ll admit up front to being an ABCer. All the way. But I’m not really pissed as most are. I saw this handwriting on the wall a long time ago. UNCheat has been mooning the rest of us from the outset of this whole thing, deploying various obfuscation techniques. We all knew in some way how this was going to go down.

So who cares if they get away with it, sacrifice a few people along the way, don’t get punished and wave their wankers at everyone in the process? The NCAA probably cares because this case calls into question their whole being. The college/university Presidents don’t care, or they would have reigned in college athletics a long time ago. I used to think kindly ol’ Bill cared. But towards the end, he stopped caring and only wanted it to go away. Other ADs don’t care because they now have a model (assuming the NCAA survives) for how to break/bend the rules and get away with it. I don’t care because at least the whole ugliness of what it takes to win at that level and the sham that was the “Carolina Way” has been exposed for what it always was.

Would I like my Wolfpack teams to be more competitive? Sure, but I don’t want to win “that” way. And I don’t want my university’s ethics and academics dragged through the muck of public opinion for 7 years. I’ll take my 7-8 wins in football season and a trip to the basketball post-season more years than not and be happy that my university pumps out high quality engineering graduates.

Whether we continue to do that as part of an NCAA or not remains to be seen. I suspect we’re witnessing the beginning of the end for them as well as the beginnings of semi-professional college athletic leagues.

There have been predictions of that NCAA schism for quite some time. I do think it may be closer than ever to being a reality. Power Five Conferences breaking away to form their own Screw Academics – We’re In This To Win Just Win Baby…”

• Allen W. Smothers Reply

Ditto & DITTO… I’m not mad about this either. We knew from the very beginning how this was all going to play out, because we’ve lived it for the past 50+ years! BUT, the punishment will be that EVERYONE will refer to them as Cheaters until the end of time!!! The adorring media won’t, but everyime someone talks about any of their athletic programs, refer to them as “The Cheaters,” everyone in the world will know exactly who you’re talking about.

• Chris Reply

BL, is it your opinion that the NCAA is trying to keep the gladiators out of the college stadium or that they are profiting by it? Or both?

It is my opinion that the NCAA doesn’t know whether “to s*** or go blind”. It has lost all credibility both within and outside its membership. Not so much from this travesty as with all the similar admin bureaucratic SNAFUs over the pat 5-8 years.

BL, NOT to question your impeccable (or hen pecked if appropriate) sources, BUT…..

Typically mega Dollars (OK, not in the Trillions like Obummer’s debts) for all the aforementioned Legal Costs, et. al. have come from a NON-State Funded Source. It is the “Excess” earnings that are a “petty cash drawer” . The UNC Fund (google it and you will find info about it) IS very well managed. It DOES have good earnings and a good track record. WHEN it was established, the Grand Pooh Bah’s of Sleight of Hand KNEW that there would be a time when “Cash” was needed to take care of a little problem (back then it was probably your GF’s abortion). SO, the bylaws and covenants and all the nasty fine print said….”The UNC Fund’s Earnings shall be dstributed to the University for Academic Improvements. The guaranteed or expected rate or earnings percentage is fixed at X%. NOTE X% is about HALF of what the S&P or any reasonably well run mutual fund would generate. SO the Fund’s PAYOUT to the University had an artificially LOW rate of return. THEN, the covenants continue….”Any EXCESS Earnings CAN be used at the Sole Discretion of the Chancellor and/or(?) the Fat Cats BOT or maybe a smaller UNC Mafia. These funds are for situations which would prove embarrassing to the University or would undermine THE CAROLINA WAY.

SO, that was the little line that the Blue Smurfette learned to quote and then HIDE BEHIND….that paid for all the original mess and the Wainstein report. No idea, since the audit info on the disbursements is CONFIDENTIAL (NOT to be emailed to Hillary Clinton). Wonder WHAT other Iran-Contra and Fast & Furious little “special ops” that have benefited from it?
    JUST CURIOUS…..the economy ain’t been that great for the past 8 years. BUT the President uses NC as a state that BENEFITED from his handouts and has a LOW Unemployment rate. BUT Citizen Kaine, AKA as Hillary’s Joe Biden, just told NC that Hillary would launch a JOBS Program unprecedented since WWII. NOW, if the unemployment rate is at historic LOWS and the Economy is on raging like a CA Wild Fire, why do we need MORE jobs. The MSM wrote glowing headlines WITHOUT questioning the LOGIC of this. SO, maybe the Fat Cats AIN’T as Fat as they were 8 years ago? JUST CURIOUS???
    As to the legal “Gee Whiz”, Bernie Madeoff wishes that he were so lucky. So does Martha Stewart and Meg Scott Phipps (BFF now). It is almost like they took out a page from the Bill Clinton playbook. ADMIT that you did (fill in the blank) with that young Woman, Ms. Lewinsky (or Jan Boxill…..UGH) but say it is over and there is no statue to charge you. The ABA did lift Bill’s ticket for a brief time, but he got Monica to come over and discuss the matter with the “Bored Board” and that was quickly forgiven.
    OK…I know that you doubt the veracity of me proclaiming that I am NOT racist and I am NOT an ABC’er. BUT, until you have the PDF’s, emails, or YouTube Video’s….my reputation is safe.
    I doubted that the NCAA would come up with any meaningful punishment…..BUT, obviously such confidence did NOT abound in South Hall (or whatever building is NOT named after a Confederate General). BUT, IT does appear that the TOTAL FIX was not in the RIGGED SYSTEM and that UNC did, indeed, decide to play the GOTCHA Card. NOW, that leaves an interesting dilema….for the NCAA.

IF the NCAA has vacated PAST titles and games and such for improper academics and ineligible participants….and UNC HAS admitted that SOME of the Student Athletes (or in some cases, Thug-A-Letes) got EXTRA help…..then WHAT CAN (or SHOULD) the NCAA do. This arrogance and the “GOTCHA” syndrome might cause the NCAA to grow a pair….but they would need Adam Silver to verify them….
    I chalk it up to Clint Eastwood’s comments about the MSM and their hyperventilating about Donald Trump. To quote him in a more PC way….”Trump is challenging the Vagina Generation that is so Politically Correct and is a bunch of Snowflakes that they expect an apology from a salad that they hand picked out in the Cafeteria and did not later like after eating it all….”
    However, UNC DID pick their timing so that when Trump and HB2 and Voter ID and Hillary and Crooked Hillary and Khan and DNC’s Rigged System or whatever was raging in the headlines, they THEN released their little epistle. NEVER, EVER bet a farthing on the NCAA doing anything meaningful….and UNC did slap them a few times and NOW owns them and will rent them out to any OTHER institution for a fee…. I guess we shall see. Bear in MIND….the NCAA also has ITS little Kitty….about ONE BILLION in reserves and I’ll bet THAT could hire a BUNCH of lawyers should the OTHER NCAA institutions decide that UNC has stepped over the Red Line (like Obama’s threat to al-Asad) what will happen. Wonder…. Wonder….. WONDER …..what will happen…IF anything?

GOOD LORD. That is longer than the much maliged NCAA Rule Book. I sure hope all that is not “going to be on the final exam”.

Touche….it was a bit wordy….

BUT, the basic question…..is the “Excess Earnings Fund”, which was used for the EARLY stuff, also used for the NCAA response?

In this case, all the $$’s that Bubba and Company paid for the “Defense” would be, I think, a LEGITIMATE AD expense. You have Compliance folks and such and you HAVE to defend yourself when you make an honest mistake.

The earlier investigations and all the PR Firm work was “extraordinary” and UNC made a GREAT NOISE to make sure that NO TAXPAYER or UNIVERSITY FUNDS were used….for such.

SO, did the Ram’s club, on the QT, solicit funds to make sure that there was a high powered response? If so, then they REALLY must have been worried. MO would have been to tap into the Petty Cash drawer, which is about the same as OBummer’s recent gifts to Iran…

I understood that a special war chest was put together specifically to hire legal muscle to fight any additional sanctions.

• NCSU68Grad

SInce you have well and highly reliable sources, then that IS surprising. Heretofore, the Petty Cash of the “non-designated” (unmarked bills?) Earnings of the UNC fund have been raided. Wonder WHY they changed the strategy….unless the funds were getting low….and based on the amount of $$, that the UNC fund “earns”, that would be unnerving.

Wonder if there was a “rift” at the higher levels about constantly spending that money, which Carol and others can request/approve? Wonder if they did not have a clear focus and the Ram’s Club decided to take the point and come up with the lawyers that wanted “THEIR” Spin on it? If so, has BOTBob been replaced by someone of equal Light Blue Blood credentials and DNA?

Such questions, similar to those about certain folk’s emails, $$ to Iran, unnamed bedfellows of the Anti-HB2 candidates, etc. will not be discussed in the MSM public forums….speaking of that….a quickie.

Were there NO reporters with an IQ above 100 who dared ask Citizen Kaine…”Er, Mr. VP Candidate, if Mrs. Clinton (Hillary to her favorite Selfie Buddy reporters) will be focusing on the most aggressive jobs program since WWII, does that mean that all the past job creations and low unemployment data fro the last 8 years is in error? Could you expound as to WHY we need such a magnanimous effort is the Economy is in the best shape that it has ever been….according to the current Occupant of 1600 PA Avenue?

You create a multi-topic stew including BOTBob – HB2 – “the economy” – and those rascally Fat Cat Rams. If I hold that up to a mirror will it reveal the whereabouts of Amelia Earhart?

• JD Reply

Everyone hates the NCAA so why not stick it to them if they can? I just want the thing settled. 2017 at the earliest we get a decision. Good grief.

Early 2017 AT THE EARLIEST. In truth it will NEVER end….

My latest unsolicited, unsupported, unqualified and naive assessment of the TGU.

Translation” UNC to the NCAA. “Go ahead, we double d dare you to do something stoopid like trying to nuke us with punishing sanctions.” NCAA says,” Umm, can we talk or negotiate?” UNC, “Maybe, but if we don’t like what you’re proposing or don’t agree with you, we will see you in court. Subpoena every paper record, every piece of evidence, e-mails, video, telephone logs, computer logs, notes, bar and meal tabs, expense accounts, employee background info, minutes of EVERY meeting you’ve EVER had for EVERY investigation in the history of history of the NCAA…..since the year dot.” Boom! Your choice, your move.

Pretty much. I imagine the Bond Schoeneck guys hope that is exactly what happens.

• Jon.Sasser Reply

Hate to tell you, as it may make your head explode. You’re way, way off. First, I think Rick Evrard and his firm of Bond, Schoenck & King in Kansas City wrote the UNC response. I have not read the response yet, but that is what the cover says. They are probably the best lawyers in the country for dealing with the NCAA. http://www.bsk.com/people/richard-j-evrard/collegiate-sports Rick’s also a hell of a nice guy.
    The $500 number is what a junior associate at Skadden would charge. A partner may be THREE TIMES THAT.
    I hear that top-notch lawyers in NC are over $600. Sorry for the bad news. It does not change the principle of your story.

My “head exploded” two nights ago when my Cardinals gave up a walk-off HR to a Cincinnati rookie !!! THAT is important. This is just TGU crap.
      I thought about calling you to confirm which national firm ended up “first chair” but figured you would let me know. And you did. No, it doesn’t change the point of the column … UNCCH went out and got themselves “better lawyers” than the NCAA can afford because UNCCH has the resources to do so. 🙂 …. there is certainly nothing “illegal” about doing that.

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply

If I was an NCAA attorney, I would tell UNC to go right ahead and sue my employer.
        I would bet that the last thing UNC fat cats would desire is the opportunity of MORE DISCOVERY provided by witnesses under oath. I would happily pay to see Julius, Jan and Deborah on a witness stand.
        It would be quite a show. Maybe a second episode would cast John Blake, Wayne Walden and Butch Davis. Good ole Holden Thorp would also be fun to hear. Jennifer Wiley, Marvin Austin, Gregg Little, Jack Evans, Lissa Broome, Karen Moon,and of course Roy would make for some nice entertainment. Sorry to leave out Bubba, Carol and another blast from the past BOTBob.

You know I am a HUGE fan of Total Chaos so I would certainly welcome such a circus. I can’t imagine the NCAA ever wanting such however. … You left out “Dickie” and The Swoff.

• DrVinnyboombatz

Thanks for the reminder. I don’t know how I missed both Dickie B and Swoffraud. I guess I’ll blame it on old age. I also greatly appreciate your coverage of TGU and your objectiveness in doing it. You are one of the few UNC alums that will admit to anything short of perfection exists on that campus in Orange County.

Ya think thats why there is a standing bounty on my head on Franklin Street? I’ve lost more than a few “friends” (??) over this crap. None that mattered. As I have noted on numerous occasions, I consider myself estranged from my alma mater. TGU was just a final straw on that camel’s back. … “Objectivity” in a situation like this is relative to the bias of whoever is awarding the compliment.

• DrVinnyboombatz

You HAVE been impartial. I’ve seen you trash ABCers as well. I think you have hit each group when they have deserved your disapproval.

I appreciate you saying that. I don’t think of it as “trashing” anyone but rather pointing out the silliness of their perceptions, paranoias, and dogmatic conclusions. The “they are ALL a buncha ______” being a particular hot button for me. …. Blind partisanship is pretty much the same within every group of sports fans and political partisans.