Russell Wilson says TO’B said… but, but…

Russell Wilson & TOB
May15/ 2016

This is a real headscratcher and one has to wonder WHY it’s coming out now… whatever “it” is.  I’m guessing Russell Wilson was using it to inspire the Wiscy grads to “believe in yourself even if others don’t” but he had to know it would go viral…. Russell Wilson & TOB

What ever happened between Russell and TO’B shoulda been buried.   Everyone thought it had been.   Russell is waaaaay beyond it tarnishing his career as an Elite NFL QB.

“This” just seems so UN-Russell at this point in his career.

Will the average Brickyard Board Monkey buy Russell’s version.  He is a BMOC bona-fide Wuff Hero…. versus TO’B – a ruddy-faced fired old coach that never “caught on” with The Carter-ites…. except for all those times he whupped up on Butch of course ???

“Leadership” is making tough decisions and living with the results when the smoke clears.  TO’B made “the tough call”.   Russell Wilson leaving NC State turned out A LOT better for Russell than it did for TO’B.

Had RW not gone to Wiscy and not gotten that national exposure…. Big Ten / Rose Bowl et al …. would his career have been what it is ???

Russell Says TO’B Said ….

Russell Wilson claims former NC State coach told him he'd never play in the NFL

Russell Wilson isn’t known for opening up to the public. A Wilson interview or press conference is usually brimming with cliches and diplomatic responses. That wasn’t the case at a commencement speech the 27-year-old delivered for the University of Wisconsin.

He cracked jokes, he danced and he even gave his side of the story on his split with North Carolina State.

Here’s Wilson’s recollection of his conversation with former Wolfpack coach Tom O’Brien:

SEE LINK…

Either O’Brien is an awful coach or Wilson is embellishing the story. But without hearing O’Brien’s side of the story, we shouldn’t just assume this is how the conversation went down. When the two have spoken about the transfer in the past, neither has mentioned any animosity. O’Brien said he still texts Wilson from time-to-time.

The Seahawks quarterback isn’t exactly a reliable narrator, either. During this same speech, he altered the details of another anecdote to fit the message he was trying to convey. We’ll let Wilson take it from here: …….

READ MORE….

• Chad Reply

Well TOB was wrong, and he is now out of coaching. I don’t get where Russell is wrong for calling TOB out because it is TRUE. TOB said on the radio AM the Adam and Joe show that he was not an NFL QB. I said to myself RWs stats are on part with the nations elite college QBs. The prototypical physical stats were not there but he was absolutely an NFL QB prospect especially after the Rose Bowl post TOB comments. One cannot measure heart, desire, instincts or leadership capacity and all those that live and die by statistical analysis without performing the unbiased eye test get things WRONG. Go back and look at the tape for Christ sakes. He played in pro style systems throughout he playing career.

TO’B’s decision was immediately 2nd-guessed when he made it… and at every step of Russell’s career since he and State parted ways. TO’B did not have the benefit of hindsight at the time. Supposedly his decision was based on the impact it would have on Mike Glennon and the program in general. “Leadership” is making such calls and getting them right more often that not. Being accountable when such “tough calls” backfire is another measure of a Leader.

• PTH Reply
    1 year ago

Every time I read a post by NCSU68GRAD I think of one of my uncles whose wife, my aunt, said of him that if you ask him the time, he tells you how to make a watch. I like 68’s comments and most often agree, I think, because I often forget the issue by the time I finish reading the comment.

1 year ago

I keep a Navaho codebreaker on retainer. He provides me the abridged version. 🙂

• oldwuf vet Reply
    1 year ago

I still side with TOB on this one; and I never was a huge TOB fan. Russell had a MLB contract and couldn’t make up his mind. TOB held up his end of the deal giving Russ 4 years to play both sports. TOB had a committed, loyal NFL quality QB standing by. I thought it was stupid of Russ to alter the story to help his speech. He sacrificed his relationship with the Pack for a moment of Badger glory.

1 year ago

That seems to be the majority opinion. It has always been mine.

1 year ago

There is a certain logic to this, and trying to be a compromising sort (up to bathroom definitions), I too, go with TOB’s explanation. The speech has quite a few Brian Williams moments. I do not recall him mentioning that he personally saved 3000 folks in New Orleans when Ray Nagel could not make a decision….except whether to ask for his bribes in $100’s or $50’s.

TOB, being of the military persuasion is not prone to political correctness. If you ever listened to his post game pressers or his radio and TV show, he is not one to sugar coat anything. He is also, as was pointed out, a Marine. Once a Marine (like and Eagle Scout), always a Marine. That is something that the LGBT folks can’t quite grasp….indecision. Many officers of high military fame often fell victim to the “Sometimes wrong, but NEVER a lack of confidence”.

So, TOB gets the nod. YES, he did make a choice….and was rather public about it. Now, I did NOT say that TOB was all wise and all knowing. He certainly DID underestimate RW’s talent. And, to TOB’s detriment, TOB was UNABLE to build the O-Line (or the D as well) that enhanced RW’s abilities.

RW needed to have a fact check on his “at bats”….even those of us that are BSB challenged could do that. OK, he’s only off by a factor of 3 in this times at the plate and he obviously DID think that he was a little more savvy about BSB than Coach Elliott Avent. Wonder if RW can also identify venomous reptiles as they slither about. Probably so since he is in the NFL.

RW’s speech, I think, was a little off base and perhaps too “I” oriented. It was like he was taking lessons and getting pointers from The PREZ. My presentation (and WI did not offer the gig to me), had I been RW, would have been to focus on the TEAM and Personal Confidence aspects.

RW was not as successful, nor go the publicity at NCSU because of team inadequacies. RW is a tough competitor. He is cut of the PR genre in that any game is winable if he can just get the ball and throw it. At WI, he had a front line (and receivers) that were closer to NFL Quality than our lads at NCSU. TOB promised he would work on that and it would take some time….and he never delivered.

RW also should have talked more about winning through team work and also being provided a second opportunity….and understanding that the second opportunity often has different circumstances. If RW was a golfer or a bowler, then he could have used the “You have got to believe in yourself….” theorem. BUT, as a QB, you also have to have a couple of other things….A TALENTED team; A CONFIDENT team in that THEY believe you can lead them; TALENT or CONFIDENCE in yourself.

RW would not made a good “Military” person. SO, if I were going to pick someone to lead the USofA’s whatever military forces into a battle, TOB would be my pick….you MIGHT bring in RW the night before and let him give a “You can DO THIS” pep talk….but that is about all he would bring to the table.

There IS a movement afoot to remove RW’s shrine in Carter Finley…..don’t know if the folks that are leading the charge have consulted with Rev Bully or the LGBT XYZ confontacionalists or not….for pointers. Maybe Greg Fischel can play the tuba when they do their “air orchestra” bit…..just don’t try it at a CF game. Security will snatch you and disbar you quicker than the lady in North Dakota who just HAD to pee and used the Men’s Room at a recent Garth Brooks concert. Obviously states with a N as in NORTH observe proper potty etiquette. I once attended a Walnut Creek concert where two or three guys took in one of their honies. She stood with her cute fanny to the sink and one stood facing her. The other two were flanking….facing the crowd of males. She pulled down her Daisy Dukes shorts and the center guy lifted her onto the sink and she relieved herself. She did not wipe, but did wash her hands. NOW realized that she was totally ahead of her time….but IF she were TG, then she could have used a Urinal in the “intended” fashion. The Beat goes ON….

1 year ago

To quote Lewis Grizzard: “I don’t believe I’d a told that one, Russell.”

• Semper Fi Reply
    1 year ago

I think I’ll lean towards The Marine on this one. O’Brien, though stoic, seemed to be a class act. His teams rarely had any off the field shenanigans, and if discovered, were promptly dealt with in a decisive manner.

Maybe Russell has lost his way. He certainly beat the NFL odds and has shown great composure on the field. Unfortunately, his off the field composure needs improvement. I wonder if his personal decision-making is adversely affected by his inability to reconcile NFL cultural differences with the challenges of managing his new found wealth.

One thing is for sure, pettiness is not a good look for Russell or his brand. Perhaps one day his narcissism will be replaced by wisdom and greater maturity.

1 year ago