BLS: Parallel Universes…”black flags and slit throats”

Parallel Universes
May15/ 2016

I recently spoke to an assemblage of 50 or so “well-seasoned gentlemen”.   My salient remarks prompted several reactions reminding me that within a group that might all share one interest there can still be beau coups of Parallel Universes represented.

This group of 50 or so gentlemen has far in excess of 100+ academic degrees among them and impressive curriculum vitaes that would choke a Clydesdale.  One, a particular favorite pal of mine, had flown multiple sorties over Iwo Jima in 1945 including night landings on pitching carrier decks…. as a 20 y/o.   His opinion of our current outbreak of “snowflakes seeking safe places” is ….. do you really have to ask?

Among my incredibly insightful remarks I noted that in a first meet with a fellow who “might” have Friend Potential I usBlue Bloodse a quite unscientific litmus test.   I manage to mention Lonesome Dove – NCIS – and Blue Bloods and watch their micro expressions and/or replies.   If I get a positive reaction I move on to secondary litmus tests.   If I get a negative or no reaction I, in my mind, “ask our waitress for the check” and conclude the initial interview with no plans for a follow-up.

Yes, I likely have passed on some fine folks with this method but have also saved myself social frustration trying to find tangential points of our separate parallel universes.   After my remarks I had several in the audience come up to say they had (1) never heard of Lonesome Dove – NCIS – or Blue Bloods AND (2) did not know of anyone who had.

Did I mention this meeting was “inside the bubble” of Chapel Hill.  That is probably germane to my point.

Most of the “never heard ofs” were curious to learn more.  One, however, belligerently insisted that he had no time for such foolishness.

Then there is my dear friend “Prince Albert” who, as many of you know, has never seen The Godfather – Animal House – or Caddyshack…. but is in NO way belligerent towards the rest of Humanity who have.  A total lack of belligerency of any sort is one of Albert’s many admirable qualities.

Speaking of “Prince Albert” I also asked this group of upper tier Baby Boomers if, as boys, they ever pulled the telephone prank of calling a random number and asking “Do you have Prince Albert in a can?” …. “better let him out.”  The overall Prince Albertresponse was far less that I would have hoped.   My chance of developing a significant number of “buddies” from this group became dismal.  Luckily, I already claimed about a dozen which is aplenty.

No, a familiarity with LonesomeDove, NCIS or Blue Bloods is not essential to a well-rounded Life; but it sure helps.

FWIW…. if YOUR litmus test included Pink Floyd – Breaking Bad – Game of Thrones you and I would not likely become blood brothers.

Blondie and I recently went to dinner with “Robert My Car Guy”, his wife Erin who is like an 8th degree Cross Fit Black Belt; and “Carrie The Accountant / Slumlord” and her new hubby – “Dennis From Ohio”.   I did not run my litmus test on Dennis.   But if I had he would have passed “cum laude”.

I usually expect to “talk slowly, if at all, and provide subtitles” in such social situations.  Dennis “got everything” to my astonishment and appreciation.  I informed Carrie that Dennis was “a keeper” which she seemed relieved to have confirmed.

Does my theory of Parallel Universes resonate with you in terms of building relationships?   The respective universes do not have to be “in conflict” or even uncomfortable…. simply “unsyncable”… with few, if any, tangent points.

OK, I know what you’re thinking.  How could I, being so outspoken about TGU Holocaust Deniers and having publicly estranged myself from my alma mater, find 50 or so people in Chapel Hill who would let me speak without yelling me down or calling the PC Nazis?

These particular 50 or so are about all there are over there that might do so.  Plus many of them have sketchy hearing and had no clue what I was saying.  That probably helped.

BE ADVISED:

Several of you have asked me off-line about the obvious uptick in national and regional sports media pundits expounding on “politics”…. with 97% of said expounds being decidedly from the aggressively extreme Left.

ESPN, under CEO John Skipper (UNC’75) has become robustly so, as has a certain Triangle-area multi-media organization with the first three letters WRA….   The ownership of both organizations are hard-wired Limo-liberals.  They turn their armies of dumpster-divers loose to rant and snipe on every socio-cultural conflict that rears up.  The current epidemic of Gender Terrorism being “the flaming box of dog poop on the front porch” of course.

Whether their on-air pundits share the Radical Left POV of their employers is irrelevant.  I suspect that they do in the majority of cases, but certainly are not going to oppose it and remain employed.   Can you say “Curt Schilling”?

How might this media trend affect THIS website?

WRAL’s Jim Goodmon and Skipper’s ESPN use their respective “bully pupits” to advance their wacky worldviews.   I am the Jim Goodmon / John Skipper of SaidWhatMedia.   What appears here and on AgentPierceSaid is from my philosophical POV.

At SaidWhatMedia, AgentPierce gets the “take-no-prisoners… all guns ablazing” assignments.  Pierce enjoys seeing liberals heads explode with the zeal that Robert Duvall enjoyed the smell of napalm in the morning.  The Patriot

On this site we make an effort to be “a tad” subtler.   We intend to “try” and maintain that unofficial policy but are making no promises….

America is headed full throttle towards socio-political Armageddon.  As prominent national / regional sports media blast their overt political propaganda in high volume Tokyo Rose fashion, BobLeeSays is likely to be drawn into the conflict in the way that Mel Gibson’s “Benjamin Martin” was drawn into The American Revolution in The Patriot.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.  –  H.L. Mencken

We hung out a Board Monkeys Will Be Shot On Sight banner here many years ago.   In recent years, we ran off the TGU Holocaust-Deniers en masse.   No on-line marketing consultant would have recommended either strategy.   But, by golly, somehow we keep increasing our monthly “clicks and views”.   Go figure….

Check Out a New QUIRKY re:  Russell Wilson & TO’B

• oldwuf vet Reply
    1 year ago

Appreciate your words. Seems I have to seek out the sane voices in the current period of social upheaval. I’m having trouble having reasonable conversations with loved ones that I once considered reasonable. It will be interesting to see how many of us remain pissed off enough until November to vote appropriately.

1 year ago

“reasonable” has left the room… ?

• CNR Reply
    1 year ago

1956. Patience and Prudence singing “Gotta long widoucha before I metcha…Gonna get along widoucha now…” and “Tonight you belong to me.” My youngsters from Stockham Post in St. Louis (my only year of coaching in St Louis, all other in Cincinnati West Side) sang those two songs and played them without a break all the way to the final game in the Saints home park in St. Paul. It was the final year for Lexington Park. We beat a great team from New Orleans. Our win was the first National Championship for Missouri.

When we arrived home at Lambert Field it was heartwarming as the terminal was packed as was the airport surroundings. We were placed on an open air party streetcar with the St. Louis Symphony on board.

There is much more, you get the idea. Something special for high school youngsters as they sang their two theme songs all of the way to downtown and the official welcome. The SLSO began to play the songs along with “Take me, the waltz, and Meet Me.”

Later we were flown to the WS in the Bronx and Brooklyn. We were guests at all seven games. Pete Reiser was there with us. He will be a hero for many years in Brooklyn.

The final game was Jackie’s final game. Many of the players were friends of long standing. Personally, when you mentioned that song, memories came flooding out. Thank you Bob Lee and your wonderful commenters who love basic baseball of their youth.

1 year ago

Are you behaving yourself? ?

• CNR Reply
        1 year ago

The putterer replies, “yes.”

• BigAlSouth Reply
    1 year ago

Hey Bob Lee I’m kinda with you on the NCIS litmus test, but the others were popular at a period of time that I didn’t watch much tv. (Call it my cultural and intellectual re-awakening) Recently, you referenced my fave recent NCIS episode where Jethro put a sniper shot thru the bad guy with prejudice. You didn’t mention Tony’s maniacal laugh just before the shot when Tony informed his nemesis that Jethro had been a USMC recon sniper.

Well, gotta go. I’m binge watching 6 seasons of ‘Justified’ on Netflix. When I finish, we’ll chat! Just saw the part when Raylin took care of ‘Icepick’. Ahh, that was epic.

1 year ago

Justified is full of memorable moments especially with The Bennetts. An early episode when Boyd preaches a sermon to a bunch of backwoods pentecostals is a HOOT.

• BigAlSouth Reply
        1 year ago

I love it when he uses “fifty cent” words, totally in context and grammatically correct. Like when Boyd was on the bridge at night talkin to the Black dudes and he asked if their Boss could “assuage his curiosity” about something. Well written.

Yes, the preachin to the w-trash was excellent.

1 year ago

“Limehouse” the head of the local “black gang” has some classic lines… and when Raylon “disarms” Quarles with Limehouse’s cleaver… literally DISARMS him. The last two seasons has another family of “inbreds” – The Crows – with “Dewey” who makes Ernest T Bass seem sane. It was “a classic series” for the ages.

• RowdyBlueTarHeeler Reply

BL,
    What is source of the art at the top of your column today?
    I like it!

1 year ago

I just googled Parallel Universes… and there it was among a number of similar images. I am convinced there is NOTHING that Google does not have a picture of. Even Deborah Crowder and Jennifer Wiley eventually were “googlefied”.

• Bob Reply
    1 year ago

BobLee our governor is gonna win reelection. He was a stone cold lock to lose before this cross dresser bathroom issue reared its head. The right wing doesn’t understand rural NC and never will. He needs to play his cards correctly and not mess this windfall up. The Charlotte Observer wrote a big article recently, you almost had to laugh at their portraits of rural Shelby as the Beverly Hillbillies. Parallel Universes indeed. Later BobLee.

1 year ago

I’m not as certain as you are… his opponents have more tricks up their sleeve.

• Bob Reply
        1 year ago

There is no certainty in politics. He has been handed a winning hand if he plays it correctly. Hell BobLee he was a lock loser in Charlotte, Raleigh , Asheville before this reared its stupid head. Lots and lots of Shelby’s out there.

1 year ago

Oh I totally agree PatMc was sucking swamp water before Mayor Roberts & Eeevil AG Roy handed this to him. But “this” has a ways to go before it all shakes out. Assuming some sort of compromise is reached, it will depend on WHAT is compromised. IMO… the bathroom bill would have been defeated in a Charlotte public vote. Sure it would PASS unanimously in Chapelboro and Asheville. DUH! Not sure how it would fare in a Raleigh city-wide vote. Most of Greater Raleigh’s Repub/Conserv live in the surrounding suburbs.

• unctarheel1984 Reply
    1 year ago

“… before he suffocates.”

OK… ?

1 year ago

Many folks consistently don’t like two things. (1) Change and (2) the way things currently are. Keep up what you’re a doing. I’m big on #2.

1 year ago

No notable change “here” in the immediate future. If/when it will be within the context of normal topic matter here. AP will always be the “all guns ablazing” guy.

• Edward Reply
    1 year ago

This hand basket we are all going to hell in , sure seems to be accelerating! We might get there sooner rather than later .

1 year ago

Methinks the brakes burned out on that hand basket 3.5 years ago. It has been Helter-Skelter ever since.