Huh?…The NCAA NOA said WHAT ??

Bobby Ewing Shower
April26/ 2016

Pam, I can’t hear you.  I’m in the shower. …. Did you say the latest NCAA NOA to UNC says WHAT ??  …WHOA!Bobby Ewing Shower

I have always envisioned a most Glorious Grand Finale to The Great Unpleasantness.   Whether the final verdict was DEATH….. a banner or two….  a wrist slap & a “who cares” fine…. a “just don’t do it again” warning…. or kiss Ol’ Roy’s a** and apologize for ever doubting him.   Whatever.

All those options…. and it ends with a Bobby Ewing Shower Scene!.  Google it Albert.

My personal happiness is independent of any TGU Verdict.  I’ve never cared which way it went other than for “fodder purposes”.  Sure, it would “be nice” if justice was served just once; but, hey, it’s 2016…..

• Sure there was one helluva jock-eligibility scam running for give/take 20 years.
  • Sure Swofford, Baddour et al were dumber than dirt…. permanently drunk on Carolina Way wine and/or totally complicit.
  • Sure Roy “knew”.   Fats Thomas “knew”.  Hillary “knew”.  Everybody “knew”.
  • Sure…. Sure…. Sure
  • …. but OJ “did it” too; and Bill Clinton DID “have sex with that woman Ms Lewinsky”.

I’m less shocked by the BIZARRO way this is now unfolding than I was that Mikey Nifong actually got disbarred.

Will we ever know which Fat Cat Rams “bought the committee”?…. and whats the going rate to “buy an NCAA committee”?  Is it more/less than the price of an Indoor Practice Facility?

I am more shocked when evil-doers ARE punished than when they walk away laughing and shooting the bird to a gullible public brought up on the myth that “Crime Doesn’t Pay”.

“A Crime So Horrific There’s No Law Against It”

So Hannibal Lechter walks into a kindergarten…. and eats all the children.

A (NCAA) SWAT team charges in and finds Hannibal sitting in the middle of the floor picking his teeth, with blood & stuff all over him…. and a smug smile.Hannibal Lechter

“YOU’RE UNDER ARREST” the SWAT leader says.

“For what?” asks Hannibal

“For eating a kindergarten class.”

“Is there a specific law against doing that?”

“Sure…. of course.  There must be.”

“I beg to differ, officer; and until you show me any law I have broken; my fancy lawyers and I are walking out that door.  Call me in a year or so IF you find that law.”  Says Lechter as he walks free.

“But but but but ….” mutters the NCAA SWAT guy.

Slow forward to a year or two later.  NCAA SWAT guy calls Hannibal.

RING…. RING…. “Hello, Hannibal Lechter speaking.”

“Mr Lechter, this is the NCAA guy.  You were correct sir.  There is no specific law against ‘eating a kindergarten class’ so we are dropping that charge.  HOWEVER, we are fining you $25 for Trespassing.  So there….

“Make it $20; and I’ll have my fancy lawyer drop a check in the mail.  Ciao gents.”

Hannibal checks his watch. It’s lunch time.   He heads over to the local Rotary Club.  There is no law against “eating Rotarians” either. ….. burp.

WHAT

I absolutely appreciate the abject incredulousness of all of this from any ABCers’ POV.   Grab hatchets and chop one another arms off…. run around in circles til you fall down…. beseech whatever Deity you thought was in charge of preventing this sort of travesty. …. and watch OJ, Bill Clinton and UNC Athletics skip merrily out the doors as free as birds.

The Charlotte City Council did WHAT?…. then the NCGA did WHAT?…. and who/what’s a Demi Lovato?

Almost as hooterific is hard-wired TruBlues believing that:

….“eating a kindergarten class” is OK since The Dean Gospels never specifically said it was wrong.  .… if they did it’s not in any of Chansky’s books.

Running a 20 year jock-eligibility scam to enable 100s of academically unqualified “student-athletes” to be able to play Basketball and Football while making a complete mockery of an overtly over-proud academic institution…. and “there is no rule against that” ….. Excuse me Monty Python.  I have a screenplay for your next movie.

The only item left on the TGU To Do List is:

How To Publicly Dispose of Sylvia Hatchell?

Sylvia Hatchell

About a year ago a Senior UNC Athletic Official – NOT Bubba – told me over lunch….

“It’s freakin’ Women’s Basketball!  Who the **** cares?” ..Indeed.

I’m hearing that The Short List for How has it down to (1) Beheading Sylvia by The Old Well… (2) BurningBurning at stake Sylvia At The Stake in Polk Place … (3) Cramming Sylvia in a wood chipper @ mid-court of Carmichael Auditorium.

NCAA Poobah Mark Emmert doesn’t care “how” just notify him when the deed is done.

Emmert will send Bubba a citation for the $50 fine for “burning a scapegoat without a permit”…. or “operating a wood chipper indoors”.

This file will then be CLOSED and Emmert’s goons can go back to nailing Division III schools for using lead paint on their goalposts.

I THINK (99% sure) that Sylvia retained THE Wade Smith as her attorney some months ago anticipating a Buy-Out Battle.  Get you checkbook ready Bubba.

With TGU finally done…. will Chancellor Chihuahua turn her extraordinary executive management skills to modifying those Dean Dome “pee walls” to accommodate tri-gendered midget amputees?…. (make Rimshot sound)

If you haven’t read “…. you gone Harper Cooper” you simply MUST….

CLICK

Tags:
  • Bob Reply
    1 year ago

Louisville messed up BobLee. They needed to invite a few regular students to the strip parties and sex club. They will know better next time. Later BobLee.

1 year ago

The blowback if UNC “skates” will be a LOT MORE than just “those crazy wolf packers” … a LOT more!

• Live Wood Reply
    1 year ago

You can conjure up conspiracies and theories until you are Carolina blue in the face. You can also keep being had by the McClatchy Co. and their tabloid style reporting. The bottom line is the NCAA has very little to stand on in this situation based on their current bylaws. Either accept it, or keep whining like two little boys on a playground over who gets to kick the soccer ball.

Regardless, revenue generating sports at all major Universities are basically semi-pro…..have been for a lonnnnng time.

1 year ago

I assume “you” is the ubiquitous “you” not me. This was always destined to be topic of endless “back fence” debate for a minimum of 25 years regardless of what the NCAA does or does not do. No punishment was ever going to please any partisan. If UNC DOES indeed “skate” over Sylvia’s bleached carcass, as many envision now, the hues / cries from ABCers will echo for generations.

• wolfdon Reply
    1 year ago

I distinctly remember that during the early phases of this debacle the BOT and BOG ducked this issue entirely by taking the position that this was a matter that was best left to the NCAA. More than once on this board, a reputed member of the reinforced this theme. Seems they supposedly had reached this position after their experience with being involved in the JV debacle at State.

Now the NCAA says they have no jurisdiction over schools offering fraud classes , i.e.. academic matters is not their bag. Even the honorable Jay Bilas has confirmed this and admits this loop hole regarding the fraud classes falls in the SACS bailiwick (this mornings N&O article by DK.)

My question at this point is this: Will the BOT and BOG now face their responsibility for oversight of matters regarding fraud courses being taught at the flagship and the impact on both athletic and non – athletic matters and act in an honorable manner.

1 year ago

I will continue to poo-poo the PackParanoia that insists two BOGs 25 years apart are forever linked in a quarter century conspiracy. THAT is bit too “Free Masons” for me. The two “Theys” have nothing in common. What is transpiring now about “jurisdictions” – the institution UNC or the association NCAA – has evolved over the past year. Whether it was brought up by UNC’s “expensive lawyers” or not, we don’t know.
      COULD either UNC’s BOT or the system’s BOG now decided “somebody has to be punished by somebody” so we (BOG/BOT) are going to do “it”? Sure, I suppose but don’t bet on that happening. The Louisville concept of self-punishment is a precedent already set… but I certainly don’t see UNCCH’s BOT EVER considering that. I have MUCH MUCH MORE confidence that the BOG “might consider” such a bold move… but I doubt it. … But Hey… at this point ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

• wolfdon Reply
        1 year ago

I have never thought that there is any conspiracy in the sense that you mention it…..just gross dereliction of duty. 🙂

1 year ago

There is ALWAYS a Conspiracy!

• myowngrandpaw Reply
    1 year ago

Jennifer Wiley, Deborah Crowder, Mary Willingham, Sylvia Hatchell, all vilified!

Anyone else see a gender pattern here.

The esteemed professor Nyang’oro had nothing to do with it because Crowder forged his signature(10/24/2014 N&O).

Twenty something Jennifer Wiley provided all kinds of cash by herself and fixed tickets ALL BY HERSELF. However, somehow scored one of the top lawyers in the state and eventually the charges were dropped. But she was BANNED from ever setting foot on UNC campus. She is a teacher. Based on the WRAL teacher pay documentary, Cheshire was little out of her affordability range.

Mary Willingham was trashed when her study came out and eventually was removed from her position. She filed a lawsuit and won a settlement of appx 335,000 dollars. Who paid for the UNC lawyers?

Now Sylvia Hatchell looks like the next victim.

Watching UNC’s last run thru the NCAA, it is obvious nobody cared HOW the players got on the floor, just that they wore the blue and white and were WINNING!

Also Nyang’oro and former AD Baddour KEPT their pensions and were able to “retire” into the sunset without a scratch.

Moeser, whom ran the show during the bulk of the scandal is an esteemed Professor Emeritus.
    Poor Holden Thorp got left holding the bag as the famous “tweet” happened in 2009. Just one year into Thorp’s tenure.

BUT, like the CLINTONS, run the clock! Quoting the infamous Bart Simpson “I didn’t do it”.

1 year ago

I don’t believe I can add a single point to this. 🙂 …. except maybe “show us your transcripts”.

• oldwuf Reply
    1 year ago

I would qualify as a “hard-wired ABC’er”. You know I was looking for a large mushroom cloud over Orange Co. and enjoying the prospect of putting a new swine research farm on the site after TGU was resolved. I’m not surprised at all. I think my alma mater’s 25 years of self-imposed rules following needs to end. I realize no Div 1 program is squeaky clean. We were endlessly chided because our athlete graduation rate was always lower than the cheaters. Well, Duh! It’s clear now. The rules have changed; there are no rules.

1 year ago

WHOA oldwuf. I “feel your pain” but don’t you be forgetting who sits in the corner office at Grandover over in GSBO … “THE COMMISH”. You start getting frisky and Little Johnny be exiling you and yours to Purgatory… with a one-way ticket. GWC thinks there “might” be a smidgen of “justice” still to come. I’m not so sure. There is no “justice” that a handful of Hedge Fund Rams cannot buy with pocket change.

• oldwuf Reply
        1 year ago

Easy now. You’re playing to my Wuf paranoia. Insinuating that there might be a different measure of punishment for wufs vs baby blues. Dang it. I knew that Johnny Swofford was out to get us! I just hope we’re not cheating already…… That WOULD be pathetic.

1 year ago

Doesn’t matter if you are (cheating) or not. If LJS needs to create a diversion it will either be “you guys” or Dabo. 🙂

• Robedixon Reply
    1 year ago

Frankly this is what I expected. Money rules and has ruled for some time. There are only a few schools in big conference basketball and football who do not break the rules or at least bend them. Indeed this one and done phenominon is nothing more than take some easy courses the first semester, stay eligible for the second semester, then not go to class the second semester and go pro. That is nothing more than semi-pro. Accept it folks the NCAA is in the BUSINESS to make money and nothing else matters. Silly people who get upset because some school did not get penalized and buy tickets and merchandise are just as quilty as those who break the rules. If we want to get serious end ALL scholarships and put college sports on a true amateur status ad Garland Tucker suggested about a year ago. Otherwise we should just accept the game as it is now and will be.

1 year ago

Enjoying the actual “between the lines” games is the way to go. Wear blinders for “all the yuckiness in how the sausage gets made”. Is doing that “selling out”? Probably, but Life is too short to continually rage about Human Nature… although making fun of it is OK as we try to do here. …. IMO, “the games” are separate from “the other even-more popular sport” which is The Partisan Fan Wars. Is Big Time College Sports awash in rampant corruption and hypocrisy? Sure. Is “politics”? Sure.
      Blondie loves puttering in her flower garden where she matches wits with bunny rabbits, voles and Ma Nature all for those moments she can “just look at the pretty flowers”. Me, I take long walks listening to good books.

• GWC Reply
    1 year ago

Am not so sure the UNC sports-faithful should be jumping up and down too gleefully just yet . And maybe the ABC’ers oughten be so upset about any so-called-whitewash either . The NCAA’s fat lady has not yet sung and the NCAA still HAS to exhibit some “raison de ‘etre ” , some excuse for their very existence . Don’t they ? Maybe their reference/charge concerning UNC’s loss of institutional control ( of their Af-Am Dept.) for over fifteen years is the heavy hammer patiently waiting to descend upon Chapel Hill . Or maybe a do-nothing-much resolution will be a smart move by the NCAA for their own revenue purposes even if it will show everyone how unnecessary the NCAA has really become in this post-student-athlete-era . But , folks , the jury is still out , the sentence has yet to be delivered , and there is nothing set in concrete , so no dancing on Franklin OR Hillsborough St. just yet please .

1 year ago

GWC, you and I have discussed “what would be appropriate punishment for the crimes(s)” that avoid too much “punishing the wrong people”. Since all the actual perpetrators are safe in their extradition-proof well-pensioned safe places “real justice” was likely never possible. While Sylvia Hatchell does deserve some punishment for sure, that she bears the brunt of the hammer is just “wrong”. As you note – “the Fat Lady” has NOT sung yet… there’s still some hope if not for “a Humiliated Dickie & The Mule Parade” at least something akin.

1 year ago

Couple of ways to look at it….for the older, Central NC Crowd who remember Jesse and his “editorials”, simply think of Chubb Sewell. THe Retired Judge would close his guest commentary with the following….
    Call your (yu er was phonetically how it sounded) Case. Having run Audio for Mr. Helms, that is the gospel….

If you want to see how Sylvia’s Execution will be handled….then go here….NOTE….this is getting so many “Views” that it might take a little time to load.

OR….you could take the following lines from the Eagles and let all ABC’s and Wuffies follow Glenn and Don’s sage advice….

It’s like going to confession every time I hear you speak
    You’re makin’ the most of your losin’ streak
    Some call it sick, but I call it weak
    You drag it around like a ball and chain
    You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
    You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
    Got your mind in the gutter, bringin’ everybody down
    Complain about the present and blame it on the past
    I’d like to find your inner child and kick its little ass
    Get over it! Get over it
    All this bitchin’ and moanin’ and pitchin’ a fit
    Get over it! get over it
    Get over it! Get over it
    It’s gotta stop sometime, so why don’t you quit
    Get over it, get over it

1 year ago

Wade Smith will have Mrs Hatchell VERY well-funded when she says Adios. Otherwise she will squeal like a pig and NO ONE around Dean’s Dome wants THAT to happen.

1 year ago

I certainly hope so and also that they do it with some dignity. If this process is stressful, it could have serious impacts on her immune system. I will always hold Spangler, Monteith and Sitton responsible for Jimmy V’s cancer. There is more than sufficient anecdotal evidence that stress and mental anguish can trigger diseases, including cancer.

Interesting segment this afternoon as I was headed home after PT. David Glenn had two “You MUST understand” reasons and then a full 16 minute monologue. Even Rush said….WOW….that was long. He ranted and raved (so?), but he also seemed to make a few valid points. It is out there on ACC Sports….but I refuse to post the link.

He DID leave out that NCAA “skims” off the proceeds that the schools are supposed to get. Their “reserves” are about a BILLION (they were $750 Million a few years ago according to their FOIA documents).

Understand that Swoff has a bit higher (on a proportional basis) kitty in the vault under the Taj in Greensboro….

TGU and the NCAA will live in infamy until all of Jimmy V’s grandkids are long gone….sort of morbid and JV said that he would eventually beat DS as he was younger and would outlive him. Spooky quote….

1 year ago

IMO this has always been “much bigger” than just “Karma for JV” but I understand why Brickyarders see it that way.

1 year ago

Not surprised, not even a little. It looks like the NCAA has set a precedent, a blueprint, for other institutions to follow and they will despite faux expressions of outrage from some of your regular commenters. They’ll have to to stay competitive. Jay is probably correct. This appears to be a game changer. Pun intended. Everybody does it will finally be an indisputable truth and no one will be any better off once the smoke clears. Alabama & Ohio State will still be dominate in FB and directional schools will still be struggling to keep up. Same for the MBB elite. So many unknowns. So many fodder opportunities.

1 year ago

The rival warring factions will all “soldier on” with the traditional feces flinging and “stinky feet” allegations of past decades. … and column fodder will fall like manna from the heavens.

• Jay Reply
    1 year ago

Yesterday perhaps marked the death of the concept of “Student Athlete”, first put forth by the NCAA many years ago and now effectively eliminated in the NCAA’s revised Notice of Allegations to UNC which without any explanation now no longer includes any reference to UNC Football or Men’s Basketball, the only two revenue generating sports at UNC with a financial motive to cheat. Although I can imagine how this came to be I will offer no speculation. The result however, is obvious. The NCAA will no longer or CAN NO LONGER regulate the behavior of it’s member institutions. The message is cheat, do whatever you can to win at all costs and there will be no repercussions. The NCAA had a great concept to support and the means to support it ($100s of millions in TV money for the NCAA Basketball tournament). That the NCAA has failed here is tragic.

Now for the other conspirator here, UNC. I love many UNC supporters including my wife but I’m going to be blunt: To hell with the University of North Carolina. Whatever they did, however they did it, they have hurt college athletics, all to save a few trophies in their $5M Basketball Museum. Was it worth it? How will UNC be remembered now? UNC’s motives have been clear since the first mention of this mess: they blocked and spun at first, then finally admitted fault, presented more evidence of wrongdoing 8 months ago, delaying the NCAA ruling and now this. UNC, a blue blood of the NCAA, an academic icon, a self proclaimed standard of college athletic excellence and now an accomplice in the assassination of the student athlete. Sad and ironic.

1 year ago

Having estranged myself for many of those same reasons… much of the Rivalry Wars between hot-bloodied fans will go unchanged by all this. I realize you are of The Hokie Nation and not deeply imbedded in this one. … UNCers and ABCers will hate one another as they always have and always will regardless of anything the NCAA does / does not do.

• Jay Reply
        1 year ago

BobLee you misunderstand. I’m a lover of college athletics first and a Hokie 2nd. Without the first there is nothing left for VT or any other school. This about all college sports, not VT’s little part to play. I have no axe to grind about UNC. I only love what was amateur college athletics. Naive though I may have been I can see this for what it is.

1 year ago

I was just telling other viewers that you are not a hard-wired UNC hater like many of them are. You see the hypocrisy in this TGU Mess for what it is…. “getting away with 20 years of cheating on a technicality”.

• ncsu1987 Reply

Was it TS Eliot:

This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang, but a whimper

I have never jumped on the “they will burn” bandwagon, but I am astonished at the NCAA’s recent back-pedalling. Not sure how they reconcile this change with their overt “student-first” strategy in the impending litigations. Guess I’m not smart enough, which wouldn’t surprise me.

The NCAA did ask for UNC to provide some interesting material in the ANOA (yes, I actually read the whole thing). Kinda hoping against hope there’s another surprise for us – the ride has been too much fun. Grasping at straws? Maybe. But I learned a few things from Hamlet, even if Horatio didn’t.

Keep up the good work. I wish you copious fodder for the foreseeable future.

1 year ago

“Fodder” will never be a problem. “Enough bandwidth” may be though. We are living in Most Foolish Times, Dear Horatio!

• Old North Stater Reply

Probable punishment:

1) Women’s basketball banned for 10 years. 2) The University must acknowledge publically that Hinton James didn’t walk from Wilmington to Chapel Hill, but instead, rode a horse most of the way.

That #2 really hurts. Thanks, Marvin.

1 year ago

Where U Been WB??? Have you found EVERY WHERE “George Washington ever slept”? I “live” to follow you on Twitter? 🙂 … I’m still hoping for Dickie “tarred and feathered” following a team of mules with spastic colons down Franklin Street.

• 58 Wolf Kennel Reply
    1 year ago

Too long TGU has been going on.
    Too soon to postulate finality.
    Over next few months it will be interesting seeing who steps up to be a real leader in resolution. May still have to be a Chief Justice or so. No one else of stature left in North Carolina or the NCAA. So SAD !!

1 year ago

You may not live long enough to see it Old Wuff. I probably won’t either.

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply
        1 year ago

This was unexpected that a watered down replacement NOA arrived. Mark Emmert does enjoy plenty of light blue koolade. He is the boss at the NCAA and did his friends from Orange County a huge favor. However, this is not ultimately decided until the COI meets. Nobody knows which 6 of the 24 members will meet on the UNC case. None of those 6 would seem to care about UNC as much as Emmert. Anything can happen with the COI but now I would bet that Sylvia is in much worse shape than Roy or Larry. This scam was begun to help men’s basketball but the women are going to get the worst of it. Wonder how much hush money the Big Rams will pay her?I will probably still watch some but my enjoyment of college sports has declined due to this.

1 year ago

Good bet that CSH’s “exit package” is being negotiated as we speak. Hope she gets as good a deal as Dickie and Deborah and “the most ethical gal”. I’m sure Chihuahua does not want a messy execution.