Roy goes full “Ernest T.”: “I ain’t no creature!”

April03/ 2016

Roy T BassIt happened in his post-game presser….  when it shoulda and coulda been all about the youngsters and their impressive Win over Syracuse…. Coach Roy “Dr. Jekyl” Williams morphed AGAIN into full “Mr Hyde” which in Ol’ Roy’s case is “Ernest T. Bass”….. terminally self-absorbed Town Nut.

That title line “I ain’t no creature” is, for those who haven’t memorized every Mayberry script… a classic Ernest T. Bass line along with “How do you do Mrs Wy-Lee?” …. and “It’s Me It’s Me… It’s Ernest T.”

(NOTE:  Here is the late Howard Morris explaining how he created one of TV’s most enduring characters ….. LINK.)

I hate to say “I called it”.  It was a pretty obvious call anyone coulda made.  With Bubba cringing in the wings and with Roy’s long-time “keeper” – SID Steve Kirschner – searching frantically for the tranquilizer dart…. Roy went vintage Roy.

Houston…. Roy’s Got A Problem

….. and it’s spelled R – O – Y.

Here is the Foxsports.com Link. “Ernest T. Roy” “picked up a brick and flung it”.LINK

(NOTE:  I’m sure Roy said “Bill Guthridge” not “Guthrie”. )

With a worldwide audience having watched Villanova completely Nuke Oklahoma and then Royz Boyz surgically peel Boeheim’s Orange setting up a very appealing National Finals….Ernest T

Roy COULDA just strung together five minutes of well-worn coach-speak clichés, throw in a few “dadgumits”, take a sip of his Coca Cola and exit Stage Left.  But OH NO!  Not our boy Roy.  ….To quote Deputy Fife – “He’s a Nut!”

Let me reiterate for the umpteenth time times two…. as a basketball coach Roy Williams abso-damn-lutely knows his stuff.    You don’t get ever-how-many Ws he has… and how many trips to TFF… and the chance to win three Nattys… and do it with smoke and mirrors and a few Alcindors, Magics, Waltons, Jordans.  I do not begrudge Roy his plaque in Springfield at all.

Hellfire, I don’t even begrudge him his “ever-loosening screw”.   God created “the un-hinged Roys of this world” just for me to have a bumper crop of column fodder.   I accept full responsibility for Roy Being Roy Being Ernest T. Bass.  Mea culpa.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the hard-core ABCers, with spittle-spewing from between tightly-clenched teeth,  are all screaming Les Robinson or “Herb” or even Pete Gaudet coulda done it (Roy’s success) if they’d had “The Scheme” keeping their players eligible.  Maybe…. who knows.

And maybe on some Great Getting Up Morning, Roy will have to pay that piper…. maybe some of us will actually still be alive to see it…. maybe.

Roy Williams can “coach” with the best of’em…. of his generation.   There are damn few, if any, “choir boys” in Roy’s Generation of Big Time College Coaches.   They all wade hip-deep 24/7 in the putrid cesspool of recruiting and Fat Cat bull****.

The surprise was NOT that Two of the four FF coaches (Roy & “Jimmy”) are linked to mega-malfeasances.   The surprise is that it is “only two”.  That Lon Kruger and Jay Wright are not….. that we know of.

As Roy continues on his never-ending “Poor Poor Pitiful Persecuted Me” Tour…. what might we expect between now and midnight Monday?

• Will Roy require every member of “the media” to feel his nail-scarred hand”?
  • Will Roy pull up his $150 Peter Millar shirt to show us where the Centurion’s spear pierced his side?

Has there EVER been a nationally prominent coach more self-absorbed ….. more over-the-top delusional?  More totally convinced that it’s ALL ABOUT HIM ….. It’s ALL ABOUT ROY?

Has Roy “Ernest T.” Williams become….

The Donald Trump of Coaches?

Check Out New Quirkies ….

Including a NEW MONDAY article about Roy’s “attraction to martyrdom”.

ClickHere small

Tags:
  • JDanWuff Reply
    1 year ago

Good luck and wolf howls for Roy’s Boyz tonight.
    Bring it back to the Old North State (or don’t come home. ?)

1 year ago

That just adds to the Mondo Bizarro nature of this whole thing…

• JDanWuff Reply

Always glad to help. ?

• JDanWuff Reply
        1 year ago

One heck of a ball game.
        I thought Paige had killed em, too much time left.

Thrill and Agony …..

1 year ago

4 seconds is a Lifetime ….

• JDanWuff
            1 year ago

True that. I learned how long 5 seconds seems getting the conceal carry. But if they had gone to OT, my money was still on the bashful blue.
            Another day, maybe.
            On to baseball.

1 year ago

It takes a lot of really good players, really good coaching, and some lucky ball bounces to get to FF. Only Two out of 200 get there…

• ultraviolet Reply
    1 year ago

The media loves public figures that show their hind parts. Bob Knight is long gone. K only shows his rear to the refs in game or other players post game. Trump isn’t a sports figure, so they have ORW to tease. It’s all in the plan.

Ahhhh… “The Plan” Indeed…. 🙂

• tarspartan Reply
    1 year ago

Have you seen Sports Illustrated’s take on the subject? http://www.campusrush.com/roy-williams-north-carolina-questions-thin-skin-1707517965.html

1 year ago

Good Stuff … USAToday has a similar piece (see Quirkies) … National media all seem to be reading ORW the same way. They are used to prima donna BT Coaches and know “loons” when they encounter one. Roy’s “rap sheet” precedes him.

• Downeast Heel Reply
    1 year ago

You have “made the big time” !!! Henry Hinton was using some of this column this AM on his Greenville radio show… crediting YOU of course.

HH is a dear friend… and a long time Ernest T. Bass aficionado too. 🙂

• fayettewuf Reply
    1 year ago

I read the piece on the question and the answer by Roy including the quote by Bill (Woody?) Guthrie. Interestingly, the follow-up poll: “moccasins aside aside did the coach have a point?” was 90% yes. I have often conceded that coaches make decisions based on far more information than fans like me are privy to. Of course with the 20/20 hindsight afforded by the did-it-work test, fans knew the correct thing to do and the coach was an idiot not to have known it. Yeah, Roy has been around the block way too many times not to know all this and should have given a coach-speak answer.
    This might be Roy’s farewell tour and he might be a little prone to saying all those things he has kept bottled up. If the improbable happens tonight and UNC loses to less talented Villanova team, the press conference might be extremely entertaining.

1 year ago

I don’t think Roy is much of a long-range planner. He doesn’t know what he is going to say five seconds before he says it… and you think he has thought about “retiring” Win/Lose tonight??? … Roy’s Future will be decided when/if The Hammer ever falls ??

• GWC Reply
    1 year ago

You are correct , I’m born and bred a Carolina Tarheel . I’m embarrassed by the TGU and I’m proud of the Heels’ various championship teams this year and our national academic rankings given the various clouds that have gathered for too many years . My “Daddy” thrice told me that I could go to college anywhere I wanted but that he was going to PAY for that school 12 miles away in Chapel Hill which he had attended just before THE war. And in 1961-2 he had a hard-on for Coach Smith AT FIRST just like you seem to have FOR GOOD with CRW . Dad’s reasoning was Smith’s inexperience/age and the initial lack of respect given him by players like Moe who called him “Smitty” instead of “Coach” . That I understood , NOT that it “was necessary” I get it . And I get why it’s not “necessary” for me to understand your thinking that ORW “protesteth too much” . But is he really any more egotistical , protective and self-centered than Coaches “K” , Pitino , Stengel , Yow , Calipari , Wooden , Lombardi , Case , Bubas , the McGuires , Rupp , Auerbach , Smith et al ? I’m just hoping for a “W” tomorrow night followed by fully-share-the-glory post-game comments by CRW ! Pax !

1 year ago

As I tell our resident #1 Wolfpack loyalist Bob Kennel, I’m not into “institutional/school loyalty”; but I appreciate that most people are. The “My School is The Best because… well because I say it is” crowd amuses me. But I realize I am the odd fellow in such vain-glorious debate. I NEVER bought into the Carolina Way chest-thumping hogwash long before Marvin tweeted.
      Yes, IMO “Roy” IS a different breed of cat than those other high profile BT BB coaches you list at least IMO he has morphed into that “different breed of cat” over the past 4-5 years. Maybe it is a combo of his nagging physical ailments (constant pain can be very debilitating and affect one’s state of mind) and the stress of TGU ??
      As I note in another comment reply… “the media” knows Roy is “good copy”. Gig him with a cattle prod and you get a provocative reaction… so they gig him.
      It seems more important to you that I see all this Your Way than it is to me that you see it My Way ??? Lets just accept that we see it differently and let it go at that?
      I will never forget my reaction in 1982 after the Great Georgetown W w/ MJ’s shot et al… After my initial euphoria in the moment, nothing else about my life had changed. I was living in Dallas and none of my friends or work associates knew or cared. Obviously that would be somewhat different being this close to Ground Zero… but not really. There will be some angle to write about regardless and then it will be On To Augusta and something to write about The Masters ….

• GWC Reply
    1 year ago

BL , you probably meant “complicit” as it would appear nobody at UNC had been “compliant” with the school’s original intentions for the type of classes that morphed into the TGU . As for horses and horses’ asses , I’d guess the number is about equal , all things being normal . But I still don’t get your hard-on with ORW’s country-boy shtick ? It was all about me/Roy this time because the question itself was all about him/Roy and his decisions regarding Marcus’ “time on the ball” and not benching “high-jump” Meeks in favor of Hicks . Anybody now disagree with those two decisions by CRW ? Berry had 10 assists last night and Paige did fine where he was when it counted . Also no point guard at UNC has EVER had a better assist to turnover ratio than Berry this year . Also Meeks has been on a roll while Hicks’ mind must have been elsewhere the past three or four games . CRW DOES see these guys in practice , and in games , first hand ( and he probably can read their minds part of the time ) so he DOES have an inside track on the rest of us . STILL shoulda’ called T/O against Duke in CH ! BEAT ‘NOVA !! And let’s give CRW a break .

1 year ago

Yes, I did mean “complicit”. I thought about that driving to PInehurst this AM. I will change it. 🙂 …. GWC, you will never understand my “thing” about ORW, like I will never understand why God created gnats. … You are a UNC born & bred and it is embedded in your DNA “just because”. It is not necessary that you “get” why others don’t share your feelings. … EVERY coach at Roy’s level gets asked inane “how come” questions by “the media” about hindsight strategy moves. Roy always acts like he is the only one. He is wrong.

• Bob Reply
    1 year ago

Critical comments of Roy’s coaching have come primarily from UNC fans. The “call a timeout” crowd dress in. light blue. The “other junk” is a different matter. Roy is responsible for his role and it was under his watch that UNC has become identified as a leader in college athletics skullduggery.

1 year ago

I’ve decided that Roy must have an intern supply him “daily board monkey crap” and he thinks “board monkeys matter” – they don’t. Roy’s understanding of cyber media is ZERO. No BTHC should EVER pay attention to his board monkeys.

1 year ago

I’m convinced if little Carol and ORW ever have a 30 minute conversation, neither would be able to understand any of what the other one said. Talk about a perfect relationship!!!?

1 year ago

And neither would care what the other said.

• unctarheel1984 Reply
    1 year ago

He answered, very directly, the question put to him by the reporter. So? I suppose he could have deflected the question as you suggest and then been damned for deflecting the question. Really, if you media guys – yep, you get lumped in with them – don’t want the answer, don’t ask the question. Ask a “gotcha” question, don’t be all whiney when its you who gets “got”.

1 year ago

Roy is on the same plane with Popovich, Belichek, Saban etc. They all have to deal with the same 24/7 glorified board monkey media. They “deal with them” in a different way than Roy. I repeat with Roy it’s all about him – Roy. But I have no problem with life-long TruBlues defending him …. at least this weekend.

• unctarheel1984 Reply
        1 year ago

Put yourself in Coach Williams’ seat for that moment. How does BLS answer that loaded question?

1 year ago

ALL of ORW’s contemporaries get the same inane “how come” hindsight strategy questions after every Big Game. That ORW has zero sense of humor and takes himself VERY seriously is a big part of the problem… all his recent “issues” notwithstanding. Popovich & Belichek & Saban & Urban have learned how to deflect inane questions.
          One reply would be “I have two rings and I am one of two coaches still playing Monday night. By golly, I must be doing something right…?” … Self, Calipari, Izzo, Krzewez, et al deal with the exact same crap …. also everyone in the national media know Roy has a short fuse and they can get a headline with the slightest gig. Gigging Roy into a “hot quote” is waaaay too easy. After 28 years he shoulda mastered this part of his job. He hasn’t.

1 year ago

Alas & Alack. I slept through the non critical parts of the game.
    Being only slightly smarter than the talking heads with their masters’ voices in their ear pieces, I did become aware of Mikey & ORW classic strategy of a 5 minute salvo at 5:00 in the first half and how, in addition to the points, it neutralizes the opponent during the break.
    ORW can coach. ORW is unstable. ORW & UNC will not need to pull down banners. UNC will wait until all the CC charges in Houston clear before picking up the HB2 “IS VILE” chants.
    I’m PAID TOO MUCH Emmett of NCAA fame will spend more mic time on the LGBTXYZ soap box than TGU punishment, or lack thereof.
    IF there be a REAL Penalty… ORW will suddenly resign while at the top. THAT will be a sign into ye! Verily I Say.

We’ll see…. Maybe.

1 year ago

Dadgummed Frickin’ SmartPhones….the Auto Correct (we know more than you….like the MEDIA vs Roy) done kicked in.

Mr. Emmert is the correct spelling….not my CRS.

BTW, in a two year old article, it noted (under FOIA Court Order) that Mr. E.’s salary is probably in excess of $2 Million now. The NCAA Staff of Ace Investigators, Lawyers, and doofusses probably bring down $60 Million, as a group. They Not for Profit NCAA held about $30 Million for their “reserves” in 2011-12 and the other articles peg their reserves approaching ONE BILLION. I guess that I should not be that critical….at LEAST they take in MORE, SAVE SOME, and then pay their bills…..our GOOBERMINT should do as well…

I MAY have missed it, but the local two News Outlets have not picked up, as Fox did, on ORW’s rant….only the GLORY and THRILL of victory. I think the German media treated Hitler the same way.

• OBXwolf Reply
    1 year ago

I guess if the Red Sox can have Manny being Manny, UNC can have Roy being Roy.

Yep.

• RC Reply
    1 year ago

Well, I get really tired of the babbling idiots doing interviews asking stoopid questions! I guess ol’Roy does also…funny thing in the poll below the article you linked, 91% agreed with “ol’Roy”, as do I.

1 year ago

EVERY BT Coach/Pro in FB and BB gets asked endless stoopid questions by all sorts of “media” BECAUSE that’s what most sports fans DEMAND in a 24/7 news cycle. Getting to a Super Bowl to FF means 100X more stoopid media. That “insatiable interest” is why Roy and his peers get BIG BUCKS. $3,000,000 in Roy’s case. …. 95% of BT coaches handle it much better than Roy does… or ever has done. …. He IS an outstanding coach … all he has to do is STFU.

• Charles Freeman Reply
        1 year ago

That last line of yours maybe GREAT for you also BBMBL. I am one of Roys Boys.

BBMBL ????

• PTH Reply
    1 year ago

Watch out or ORW will shoot you with his Red Ryder or have security remove you from where ever for speaking out, or cheering against the holes, an ORW amendment to the Bill or Rights that applies to anything unc and involves him (Him). He is a really good coach, but is a horse’s ass. “There are a lot more horse’s asses than horses”. I would credit that comment to Josey Wales, as he should have said it if he didn’t.

It does sounds like something’s Josey woulda said. 🙂

• DrJay Reply
    1 year ago

Without attempting to judge the “rightness” or “wrongness” of it, I think I do understand much of Roy’s frustration and am willing to cut him some slack when his human side comes out from time to time. Wrong time and place? Maybe. But he (and others) have been through a lot with what you have dubbed “The Great Unpleasantness” and perhaps his psyche is not as well-equipped to handle some of the stuff thrown at him as other people’s might be.
    Just my $.02.

1 year ago

“… from time to time” ?? I appreciate what you are “granting Roy” but he (and others) WERE / ARE compliant in TGU. Dan Kane did not create TGU.
      EVERY BT Coach lives under a 24/7 “media and monkey microscope”. THAT is “why they gets the Big $$$”. Most handle “it” better than Roy… actually pretty much all of’em handle “it” better than Roy.

• C Gantt Reply
    1 year ago

The highway of the upright is to depart from evil; He who watches his way preserves his life. 18Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling. 19It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly Than to divide the spoil with the proud.…

OK.

• Dr.Vinnyboombatz Reply
        1 year ago

I like how Roy will not let anyone in the media ask him about retirement.
        Is that a sign that he is indeed gone after this season?

1 year ago

Trying to tell the media what they cannot ask is a guaranteed way to be sure they keep asking it. Roy’s complete lack of understanding about “the media” and how to “deal with it” is simply amazing. Other BN Coaches seem to “get it” and learn to deal with it… NOT ROY. He always rages that he is the ONLY one who gets treated “this way” which is his “It’s all about Me” thing.