Roy goes full “Ernest T.”: “I ain’t no creature!”

April03/ 2016

Roy T BassIt happened in his post-game presser….  when it shoulda and coulda been all about the youngsters and their impressive Win over Syracuse…. Coach Roy “Dr. Jekyl” Williams morphed AGAIN into full “Mr Hyde” which in Ol’ Roy’s case is “Ernest T. Bass”….. terminally self-absorbed Town Nut.

That title line “I ain’t no creature” is, for those who haven’t memorized every Mayberry script… a classic Ernest T. Bass line along with “How do you do Mrs Wy-Lee?” …. and “It’s Me It’s Me… It’s Ernest T.”

(NOTE:  Here is the late Howard Morris explaining how he created one of TV’s most enduring characters ….. LINK.)

I hate to say “I called it”.  It was a pretty obvious call anyone coulda made.  With Bubba cringing in the wings and with Roy’s long-time “keeper” – SID Steve Kirschner – searching frantically for the tranquilizer dart…. Roy went vintage Roy.

Houston…. Roy’s Got A Problem

….. and it’s spelled R – O – Y.

Here is the Foxsports.com Link. “Ernest T. Roy” “picked up a brick and flung it”.LINK

(NOTE:  I’m sure Roy said “Bill Guthridge” not “Guthrie”. )

With a worldwide audience having watched Villanova completely Nuke Oklahoma and then Royz Boyz surgically peel Boeheim’s Orange setting up a very appealing National Finals….Ernest T

Roy COULDA just strung together five minutes of well-worn coach-speak clichés, throw in a few “dadgumits”, take a sip of his Coca Cola and exit Stage Left.  But OH NO!  Not our boy Roy.  ….To quote Deputy Fife – “He’s a Nut!”

Let me reiterate for the umpteenth time times two…. as a basketball coach Roy Williams abso-damn-lutely knows his stuff.    You don’t get ever-how-many Ws he has… and how many trips to TFF… and the chance to win three Nattys… and do it with smoke and mirrors and a few Alcindors, Magics, Waltons, Jordans.  I do not begrudge Roy his plaque in Springfield at all.

Hellfire, I don’t even begrudge him his “ever-loosening screw”.   God created “the un-hinged Roys of this world” just for me to have a bumper crop of column fodder.   I accept full responsibility for Roy Being Roy Being Ernest T. Bass.  Mea culpa.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the hard-core ABCers, with spittle-spewing from between tightly-clenched teeth,  are all screaming Les Robinson or “Herb” or even Pete Gaudet coulda done it (Roy’s success) if they’d had “The Scheme” keeping their players eligible.  Maybe…. who knows.

And maybe on some Great Getting Up Morning, Roy will have to pay that piper…. maybe some of us will actually still be alive to see it…. maybe.

Roy Williams can “coach” with the best of’em…. of his generation.   There are damn few, if any, “choir boys” in Roy’s Generation of Big Time College Coaches.   They all wade hip-deep 24/7 in the putrid cesspool of recruiting and Fat Cat bull****.

The surprise was NOT that Two of the four FF coaches (Roy & “Jimmy”) are linked to mega-malfeasances.   The surprise is that it is “only two”.  That Lon Kruger and Jay Wright are not….. that we know of.

As Roy continues on his never-ending “Poor Poor Pitiful Persecuted Me” Tour…. what might we expect between now and midnight Monday?

• Will Roy require every member of “the media” to feel his nail-scarred hand”?
  • Will Roy pull up his $150 Peter Millar shirt to show us where the Centurion’s spear pierced his side?

Has there EVER been a nationally prominent coach more self-absorbed ….. more over-the-top delusional?  More totally convinced that it’s ALL ABOUT HIM ….. It’s ALL ABOUT ROY?

Has Roy “Ernest T.” Williams become….

The Donald Trump of Coaches?

Check Out New Quirkies ….

Including a NEW MONDAY article about Roy’s “attraction to martyrdom”.

ClickHere small

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Tags:
Notify of
guest

45 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
JDanWuff
JDanWuff

Good luck and wolf howls for Roy’s Boyz tonight.
Bring it back to the Old North State (or don’t come home. ?)

JDanWuff
JDanWuff
Reply to  BobLee

Always glad to help. ?

JDanWuff
JDanWuff
Reply to  BobLee

One heck of a ball game.
I thought Paige had killed em, too much time left.

JDanWuff
JDanWuff
Reply to  BobLee

True that. I learned how long 5 seconds seems getting the conceal carry. But if they had gone to OT, my money was still on the bashful blue.
Another day, maybe.
On to baseball.

ultraviolet
ultraviolet

The media loves public figures that show their hind parts. Bob Knight is long gone. K only shows his rear to the refs in game or other players post game. Trump isn’t a sports figure, so they have ORW to tease. It’s all in the plan.

tarspartan
tarspartan

Have you seen Sports Illustrated’s take on the subject? http://www.campusrush.com/roy-williams-north-carolina-questions-thin-skin-1707517965.html

Downeast Heel
Downeast Heel

You have “made the big time” !!! Henry Hinton was using some of this column this AM on his Greenville radio show… crediting YOU of course.

fayettewuf
fayettewuf

I read the piece on the question and the answer by Roy including the quote by Bill (Woody?) Guthrie. Interestingly, the follow-up poll: “moccasins aside aside did the coach have a point?” was 90% yes. I have often conceded that coaches make decisions based on far more information than fans like me are privy to. Of course with the 20/20 hindsight afforded by the did-it-work test, fans knew the correct thing to do and the coach was an idiot not to have known it. Yeah, Roy has been around the block way too many times not to know all this… Read more »

GWC
GWC

You are correct , I’m born and bred a Carolina Tarheel . I’m embarrassed by the TGU and I’m proud of the Heels’ various championship teams this year and our national academic rankings given the various clouds that have gathered for too many years . My “Daddy” thrice told me that I could go to college anywhere I wanted but that he was going to PAY for that school 12 miles away in Chapel Hill which he had attended just before THE war. And in 1961-2 he had a hard-on for Coach Smith AT FIRST just like you seem to… Read more »

GWC
GWC

BL , you probably meant “complicit” as it would appear nobody at UNC had been “compliant” with the school’s original intentions for the type of classes that morphed into the TGU . As for horses and horses’ asses , I’d guess the number is about equal , all things being normal . But I still don’t get your hard-on with ORW’s country-boy shtick ? It was all about me/Roy this time because the question itself was all about him/Roy and his decisions regarding Marcus’ “time on the ball” and not benching “high-jump” Meeks in favor of Hicks . Anybody now… Read more »

Bob
Bob

Critical comments of Roy’s coaching have come primarily from UNC fans. The “call a timeout” crowd dress in. light blue. The “other junk” is a different matter. Roy is responsible for his role and it was under his watch that UNC has become identified as a leader in college athletics skullduggery.

Doug
Doug

I’m convinced if little Carol and ORW ever have a 30 minute conversation, neither would be able to understand any of what the other one said. Talk about a perfect relationship!!!?

unctarheel1984
unctarheel1984

He answered, very directly, the question put to him by the reporter. So? I suppose he could have deflected the question as you suggest and then been damned for deflecting the question. Really, if you media guys – yep, you get lumped in with them – don’t want the answer, don’t ask the question. Ask a “gotcha” question, don’t be all whiney when its you who gets “got”.

unctarheel1984
unctarheel1984
Reply to  BobLee

Put yourself in Coach Williams’ seat for that moment. How does BLS answer that loaded question?

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Alas & Alack. I slept through the non critical parts of the game. Being only slightly smarter than the talking heads with their masters’ voices in their ear pieces, I did become aware of Mikey & ORW classic strategy of a 5 minute salvo at 5:00 in the first half and how, in addition to the points, it neutralizes the opponent during the break. ORW can coach. ORW is unstable. ORW & UNC will not need to pull down banners. UNC will wait until all the CC charges in Houston clear before picking up the HB2 “IS VILE” chants. I’m… Read more »

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad
Reply to  BobLee

Dadgummed Frickin’ SmartPhones….the Auto Correct (we know more than you….like the MEDIA vs Roy) done kicked in. Mr. Emmert is the correct spelling….not my CRS. BTW, in a two year old article, it noted (under FOIA Court Order) that Mr. E.’s salary is probably in excess of $2 Million now. The NCAA Staff of Ace Investigators, Lawyers, and doofusses probably bring down $60 Million, as a group. They Not for Profit NCAA held about $30 Million for their “reserves” in 2011-12 and the other articles peg their reserves approaching ONE BILLION. I guess that I should not be that critical….at… Read more »

OBXwolf
OBXwolf

I guess if the Red Sox can have Manny being Manny, UNC can have Roy being Roy.

RC
RC

Well, I get really tired of the babbling idiots doing interviews asking stoopid questions! I guess ol’Roy does also…funny thing in the poll below the article you linked, 91% agreed with “ol’Roy”, as do I.

Charles Freeman
Charles Freeman
Reply to  BobLee

That last line of yours maybe GREAT for you also BBMBL. I am one of Roys Boys.

PTH
PTH

Watch out or ORW will shoot you with his Red Ryder or have security remove you from where ever for speaking out, or cheering against the holes, an ORW amendment to the Bill or Rights that applies to anything unc and involves him (Him). He is a really good coach, but is a horse’s ass. “There are a lot more horse’s asses than horses”. I would credit that comment to Josey Wales, as he should have said it if he didn’t.

DrJay
DrJay

Without attempting to judge the “rightness” or “wrongness” of it, I think I do understand much of Roy’s frustration and am willing to cut him some slack when his human side comes out from time to time. Wrong time and place? Maybe. But he (and others) have been through a lot with what you have dubbed “The Great Unpleasantness” and perhaps his psyche is not as well-equipped to handle some of the stuff thrown at him as other people’s might be.
Just my $.02.

C Gantt
C Gantt

The highway of the upright is to depart from evil; He who watches his way preserves his life. 18Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling. 19It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly Than to divide the spoil with the proud.…

Dr.Vinnyboombatz
Dr.Vinnyboombatz
Reply to  BobLee

I like how Roy will not let anyone in the media ask him about retirement.
Is that a sign that he is indeed gone after this season?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x