Steph Curry is….. UNBELIEVABLE!

Steph Curry
February28/ 2016

I watched about 15 minutes of an NBA game Sat night.  I still can’t believe what I saw…..

As oft-noted, I watch “The NBA” about as often as I watch The Real Housewives of Carrboro or The Today Show. Whatever happened to Jack Lescoulie…. and Dave Garroway and his monkey? …. Other than the final rounds of The Finals in mid-June, my cumulative NBA watch minutes don’t reach double digits. UNTIL last night…. I had fallen asleep with the TV on.  I have a timer on my remote, but I had not set it.

For whatever reason, I woke up with the Warriors v Thunder game on with 6:00 to go in the 4th Quarter. OKC was ahead by 12 and the game was in OKC. Kevin Durant was “in the zone” and a rare Warriors defeat seemed likely.

I scan headlines enough to know the Warriors are having a “dream season” likely to break the Bulls’ record for W’s and Curry is a shoo-in to repeat as MVP. So, I found myself watching the final minutes of the game. Lucky me.

The NBA has all sorts of odd rules to permit teams to overcome seemingly in-surmountable deficits in the final minute. Those rules keep the excitement in games and hopefully keep viewers viewing until the end.

If the NBA ran MLB, if a team was down by two or more runs in the 9th batters could skip 1st and 2nd and just run straight to 3rd. The team with the lead would have to play defense without a shortstop and the strike zone would be reduced to the width of the batter’s belt.

Last night, all those silly end-of-game rules weren’t needed. The Golden State Warriors had a better solution – Steph Curry. Steph Curry put on a long-range shooting exhibition that a Marine sniper would have envied.  He did it without a scope and with various tall men standing a foot away from him waving their arms.  Granted there was no measurable cross-wind to account for.  But he was so far away from the basket that he DID account for the curvature of the Earth and several time zones.

The following article recounts what happened in those final six minutes and Overtime. He, Curry, won the game in OT Steph Currywith a 38’ jumper, which would be a Hail Mary desperation shot by anyone but Steph Curry.  38’ is a lot closer to the mid-court line than it is to the 3-point arc. It is a set play in the Warrior playbook. It’s probably called “Pass the ball to Steph…. Steph shoots it….. keep doing that until he misses two in a row.”

Steph Curry’s 38′ shot with 00:02 to go in OT was NOT the AMAZING part last night.  By that point everyone in Oklahoma City and all of us on TV fully expected he WOULD make it.  He expected to.  He did.

Certainly there have been / are a number of “go to” guys in The NBA. “Get the ball to Wilt, MJ, Lebron, Magic, Kobe and get out of their way” but Steph Curry is “different”.

Steph Curry can dunk but he can’t shatter a back board or take a quarter off the top. He can drive the lane and do assorted twisting machinations that we mere mortals marvel at. But what Steph Curry does night after night is SHOOT like nobody has ever shot before.

We’ve all “shot a basketball” in our driveway…. a local rec center…. the school gym… and if you shoot long enough you might make a half-court shot or 3-4 in a row from the arc…. and feel pretty good about yourself. Not unlike sinking a 40’ putt on #9 at Augusta after only 50 tries.

Steph Curry fully expects to make every shot he takes and does with greater regularity than anyone ever has.   20,000 OKC fans expected him to make every one to.  He “makes it look easy” like Olympic divers and pixie gymnasts make what they do “look easy”.

Malcolm Gladwell says it takes 10,000 repetitions to become “really really good” at anything whether it is stand-up comedy, playing the cello or long-range shooting a basketball. I am sure Step Curry passed that 10,000 mark quite some time ago. Likely around his sophomore year at Davidson.

Lebron James is certainly a more AWESOME physical talent. His combination of size and “athleticism” is ridiculous. You and I know we cannot do what Lebron does…. or what Jordan could do with his high-flying act.  But we fantasize maybe we could develop the shooting ability of Steph Curry…. if we spent 5-6 hours/day in a gym for 10 years with endless trays of balls and someone to refine our technique.

We’ve all made at least ONE shot from 3 point range if not in “a game” at least when just fooling around. Maybe we’ve never made two in a row…. but we probably could given enough time. Then, of course, there’s the tall guy 3’ from us waving his arms and 20,000 fans yelling at us elements.

I can’t explain what I saw last night. Watch the video clips below. You’ve all seen players “make 3’s” but this was “something else”.

Steph Curry is a very high-profile, highly competitive African America pro athlete at the top of his profession.  He is very competitive a/k/a “hates to lose”…. and shows his emotions.   I am, of course, Old – White – Christian – & Republican…. but I am NOT consternated (or constipated) about Steph Curry.

I don’t have the slightest resentment or dislike towards Steph Curry. To my knowledge that “woman in Eastern Tennessee” doesn’t either.

Could THE PUNDITS BE WRONG with their knee-jerk analysis of CAM-HATE. Ya Reckon? …. A most interesting topic for another day.  You know I do loooove “interesting topics”.

Watch these clips. ….. AMAZING.

#

Stephen Curry’s arc of glory raised higher still for soaring Warriors

AND

Remember a line in a recent Roy Columns re: “Carol Folt in body paint” .  CHECK IT OUT – LINK  🙂

Fungo Bats ??? – LINK

CLICK

Tags:
  • BullCityBeth Reply
    1 year ago

I’ve never been a big follower of the NBA (they mix up UNC/dook players too much), but my 8 year old little boy has caught the sports bug and he loves watching both college and pro – a favorite of course being Stephen Curry. I don’t like to use the label of ‘role model’ for these ‘super stars, but he is one young man that I am glad my little guy is watching and learning about, heaven knows there is a lot worse out there 🙂

1 year ago

He may be THE PACKAGE. A great mamma and daddy and he has a nice wife and family …. PLUS he is a VERY GOOD PLAYER !!! AND he went to Davidson !!!

1 year ago

curvature of the earth…..that is cool. I laughed at that as well as the DBW. Reminds me of the old CB term, talkin’ on the skip.

Watching the ‘Cuse vs. UNC Blues. I will give ORW credit for STILL starting his seniors. Despite what he says and does that is goofy, that is a class act.

Was in Myrtle Beach for a few days of R&R from De-Popcorning Ceilings. Tried to do a little fancy computer work and the computer balked and had to do some system restores and stuff. Whilst waiting for Uncle Bill and Company to realign the electrons and registry entries, I watched the Lakers vs. Grizzlies. I will also tip my hat to PJ (of Fats and ORW fame)….he did put on quite a show. The Griz’s put a hurt on Mitch Kupchak’s boys. Old Mitch looked as uncomfortable sitting in the rafters watching the once mighty Lakers play as does Debbie Yow at most WP games.

Like most folks here, Steph’s color is NOT an issue. He would be a good role model is he were of mixed ethnicity and had long blonde dreads. I also came to the conclusion that Seth Greenberg is doing “color” because he did not offer Steph a scholly….Sidney Lowe KNEW of Steph’s DNA and also did NOT go after him, so he was a late bloomer.

Good Column….

1 year ago

Figured you would be all over the body painted Chihuahua pic on the Roy Vs Doug column ???

1 year ago

Still in negotiations with Pfizer. They want one of Debbie Yow and will give me a package deal..and I don’t know if I can, in clear conscience, Photoshop that one…..she might get testy.

I’m thinking about a phone app….so if you have a “4 hour problem”, you can call up a favorite mood killer photo. Pfizer says that a high percentage of their sales are to the folks that just got “pick your own potty” rights in Charlotte….negotiating on a Donald Trump image….which would appeal to both genders of that crowd….and all in between or in transition.

These be curious times….

• Bill Reply
    1 year ago

Gotta agree with all the good things you and your readers have said about Mr. Curry.

However, as a Louisianian, I have to suggest that everyone go to You Tube and find some Pete Maravich highlight films. No 3 point line and he’s still the highest PPG man in the history of NCAAMBB. His dribbling and passing were equally amazing. And with his skinny physique, moppet hair cut and floppy socks, he was the opposite of physically intimidating.

‘Nuff said!

1 year ago

BB: My daughter is an honor graduate of Pete’s Broughton High and BobLee World HQ is about 3 miles from Holiday Gym where The Legend began in the early 60s. I’m going to speculate that Steph’s shooting % is a bit better than “Pistol’s” FWIW. But PPM WAS Special! 🙂

• GWC Reply
    1 year ago

Verga (aka Greasy ) also didn’t have to figure in the Earth’s curvature or cross wind , he shot it without any arc at all ! Dell did NOT teach Verga how to shoot . Frankly I had forgotten Steph was “black” . His college career was also squeaky clean with no “issues” right ? Not exactly like Cam’s , or Peyton’s it now appears .

1 year ago

You are correct. Verga shot with no arc and shot often!! Relied on Mike Lewis to rebound.

• uncleron Reply
    1 year ago

Very good friend’s son went to Davidson with Steph and lived on the same hall. Says Steph was the real deal in every way. Very smart student. Took real classes and did well. Played beer pong and normal activities. Probably the best golfer in the NBA as well. The real deal.

1 year ago

So how come all us Old White Christian Repubs don’t HATE Steph like “they say” all us OWCRs hate CAM ??? The parallels between the two sports MVP superstars are startling… as well as the differences. … Fascinating comparison…

• TJ Reply
    1 year ago

He now draws upwards of 5,000 fans to his home game warmup. He finishes with a shot from the front of the locker room tunnel to the basket and makes it often. Gets several thousand on the road also, imagine the extra concession revenue that generates, bet his agent realizes that also.

He is SPECIAL !!!!??

1 year ago

If only Steph had been good enough to play for DES. I wonder how long it would have taken Dean to sit him down for taking some of those “high” percentage shots from another zip code.

Dean’s post game comments: “Woody, we’ve told Seth that we’d much rather have him get the ball to Serge Zwikker in the paint. Pete Chilcutt was open too.”

1 year ago

Shammond Williams and Jeff Lebo …. Dean’s “long range bombers” tended to “go cold” in March. Wonder where Serge is this days? Croatia? Uzbekistan? Macau?

1 year ago

Even more exotic and foreign than where you asked. Chapel Hill. 27516 to be exact.

1 year ago

Serge and Montross strolling down Frank’s Street should draw a few wide-mouthed gapes.

1 year ago

CNR can correct me if I’m wrong but shooter woes can many times be linked to leg issues. The level of fitness and plain old good luck required to play 82 NBA regular season games at a consistent elite level over a number of seasons is astounding to me.

1 year ago

I expect to hear from “Coach” later today. ?

• CNR (CPR) Reply
          1 year ago

Yep, great shooters use their legs. The same with great defensive players. Fatigue will turn an excellent player into an average player.

“Quick mind, quick hands, quick feet.”

“Be quick but not in haste.”

“Who passed the the ball when you scored.”

“Team, team, team.”

“There is no I in team.”

“Only One is perfect. However, striving for perfection, by the Grace of God, you will reach a state of excellence.”

“Nap on offense, not on defense.”

So many more, so many more.

Been waiting for you…. 🙂

• Bob Reply
    1 year ago

That’s why I read BobLee says. Accounts for the curvature of the earth! Not another writer in the world can offer me that picture of Curry letting it fly. Thanks for another smile BobLee.

1 year ago

When the Muse blesses me with “one of those” I figure the Great Jim Murray had a hand in it. FWIW… “those “make me smile” too. 🙂

• Wildatheart Reply
    1 year ago

I remember as a little boy watching Bob Verga from Duke hit them from that range when they still counted for two. I have not seen an NBA game all year. That clip was amazing, especially considering his ankle must have been hurting just a bit.

1 year ago

From Sea Girt, NJ…. Steph wasn’t wearing those long knee-socks that Verga wore.