BLS: ..Univ Missouri President RESIGNS… Why YOU Should Care.

Columns
November08/ 2015

Mizzou ProtestaUPDATE (Mon noon): MU Prez Resigns ….. LINK

It’s Open Season at every Power Five College in America… “The Gladiators” are now in charge.

Univ of Missouri black football players are staging a No Practice/No Play protests demanding the firing of the Missouri University System President – Tim Wolfe.

WHY YOU should care….

BobLee’s complete update LINK…..

FWIW…. so far BobLee has NAILED IT.

NOTE:  The following was posted Sunday around noon…. accurately predicting how this would likely come down.   It ain’t that hard to figure out folks.

On the surface, you likely have only casual “not my problem” interest in this.   I recommend you elevate your “pay attention” because of the trendy copy-cat nature of such incidents.   How this all shakes out could quickly spread to other campuses / other college sports programs.  Your enjoyment of college football COULD be effected.  Yes…. it is THAT serious.

The black players represent approximately 65-70% of the team’s roster.   But 90% of “the ones who actually play on Saturday”.  Their protests apparently stem from President Wolfe’s response / lack of to recent “racist incidents” on the university’s Columbia campus.

Yes… this ties into the Spectator / Gladiator imbalance across Big Time College Sports.  If “using the gladiators as the threat” works, expect to see this model become the norm.   I’m surprised we haven’t seen this tactic before now.  NOTE:  Mizzou football is awful this year.  NOT a good year to pull this stunt.  Most fans / fat cats won’t care.

UPDATE:  It has been confirmed:  There are ONLY THREE FB players in this photo.  The rest are “activists” (a/k/a “majoring in community organizing”).   These race protests stunts employ a LOT of such Flim Flam that never gets challenged by the mainstream media.   To what degree actual players do “get involved” is still in question.

No public university has EVER “stood up to race terrorists”…. or to “sex preference terrorists”…. or to “anti-Christian terrorists”. WWCCD – What Would Chancellor Chihuahua Do ???

I was not aware of any build-up to this and first learned of it when I was surfing for news early Sunday morning.   I have NOT had any communication with my sources at Mizzou and in Columbia (CoMo).   I probably have more familiarity with The Univ of Missouri in general and Columbia MO specifically than 98% of you reading this…. so allow me to fill you in.

Blondie, Kid and I all three attended “Mizzou”….. lived in Columbia…. and have maintained ties there.  We are also familiar with the demTim Wolfeographics of the state.

Tim Wolfe – the focus of the protest – is “The Tom Ross of Univ of Missouri”  He is the “President” of the four campus “System” – (Columbia “the Flagship” – Rolla – St Louis – Kansas City).    He is a middle-aged “white man” who came to his current position in 2012 from “the private sector”.   To my knowledge he has no ties to George Bush or John Fennebresque.   No clue if he was ever “in da Klan” …. ever laughed at a Bill Cosby routine …. ever read a Mya Angelou poem…. or ever sat attentively during a Jeremiah Wright sermon.

The Univ. Missouri system HQ is in Columbia similar to UNC’s arrangement.  As with UNC, each campus has it’s own Chancellor.   Missouri’s “system” was modeled after Bill Friday’s.

Columbia is a thriving college town of 125,000 located midway (120 miles each way) between St Louis and Kansas City on I-70.  NOTE: also 120 miles west of “Ferguson”.  Remember THAT for later on.  I’d guess the “diversity” of Columbia MO to be 75-80% of the Caucasian persuasion.

Comparing “Flagships”….. “Mizzou” and “Carolina” differ in a very significant way.   “Mizzou” is a combination of UNC-CH (Lib Arts) and NC State (STEM).  Only about a dozen public institutions offer that combination.

Mizzou

Mizzou has 35,000 students (27,000 undergrads). The Mizzou campus has a Law School, Med School, Vet School, J-School, Engineering School, Business School and AgSciences.   Socially, the school is 22% “Greek”.   The student body is 90% “white”.   I’m guessing the gender divide is about 55% F -45% M with the usual 1% “undecided” (but a highly vocal “undecided”).

NOTE:  THE Michael Sam was a Mizzou FBer of some renown in recent years.  His “I am GAY” relationship (since terminated) with the grandson of a KC mafia Don attracted considerable media frenzy.   Maybe you heard about him?

The socio-cultural “campus type” at Mizzou is a combination of the two stereotypes used to define UNC-CH versus NCSU.   Among “the whites” there are both “aggies” and “frat boys”… in about equal %s.   Among the “of color”, there are less than 10% overall.

A young black male on-campus can be safely assumed to be either a FBer or MBBer.  Except for those carrying textbooks or going in/out of The Library of course.  Those are probably real students.

The reputation of the Mizzou faculty leans more to a somewhat level-headed NCSU type rather than the “Insane Clown Posse” image that UNCCH is infamous for.   Mizzou, as an institution / a campus / a college town, does NOT have an overt radical ideological identity.

Mizzou’s famous alumni include Jon Ham (Mad Men), Brad Pitt, Sheryl Crow, Sam Walton, Beetle Bailey, George C Scott, Tennessee Williams (their Tom Wolfe, no kin to Tim Wolfe)…. renown Sports Medicine trailblazer Dr. Tim Taft, and, as noted, Blondie, Kid and ME (grad school).  The Skull of Pancho Villa is on-campus somewhere.

They have Columns instead of an Old Well or a Brickyard.  EVERY college has “a something”.   Mizzou’s signature school is their J-School which is universally among the Top Three along with Northwestern and Columbia.   Yes, it outranks UNC-CH’s.  Both Blondie and Kid are among its “honor graduates” along with a host of network and print media luminaries. I digress.

When Mizzou moved from the Big 12 to the SEC it upped its recruitment of “thug-aletes” with, of course, the expected increase in “beat up girlfriends”…. drug arrests….. assaults…. et al that always accompany “more thug-aletes of-color stalking any campus”.   But even before the move to The SEC, Mizzou had regular thug-incidents involving “young athletic men of color”.

Mizzou’s average annual thug-alete incidents are significantly greater than either NCSU or UNCCH’s but about the same as Georgia, Florida and Florida States.   There IS a correlation between “on-field Football success” and # of thug-alete incidents…. but you already knew that.  But Mizzou is NOT enjoying on-field success this season AT ALL.  Their QB (a white kid) was kicked-off the team last month for never-disclosed reasons.

NOTE:  Look for Mizzou Head Coach Gary Pinkel to “grab his ankles” and throw Prez Wolf under the team bus.  To do otherwise would, of course, HURT RECRUITING and THAT is Pinkel’s #1 (and only) Priority.  If Pinkel is NOT “supportive enough” he will find himself on the same Hit List and he knows it.

Former Duke guy –  Quin Snyder – had a tumultuous short stint as Mizzou BB coach prior to the conference switch.  Among other “highlights” of Quin’s stint at Mizzou was his recruiting of Ricky Clemons – a highly-ranked “baller” from the mean streets of Chicago.  Ricky brought A TON of thug-baggage to Mizzou from Day One…. which he immediately unloaded.

The President of The System then was a former UNC-CH admin named Elson Floyd.  Elson was of the AfAm persuasion…. as was / sElson Floydtill is his wife – Mrs Carmelino Floyd.  As Ricky Clemon’s crime spree grew in intensity, Mrs Floyd suggested in a well-circulated interview that Ricky’s troubles might subside if he “stopped dating white girls”. ….. uh oh!

In an effort to salvage Ricky as a Mizzou Tiger; Prez and Mrs Floyd agreed to “take Ricky in” letting him live with them in the President’s on-campus manse…. along with Ricky’s “ankle bracelet” supplied by the local Columbia Police Dept.

Alas…. Ricky’s stay with The Floyds’ was short-lived.   He car-jacked a riding lawnmower (?) from Prez Floyd’s tool shed late one night and took off on a joy ride across campus…. activating said “ankle bracelet” and getting his sorry thug a** apprehended and ending the “Save Ricky Campaign”.

Ricky, Quin Snyder and The Floyds all left CoMo shortly thereafter.   Quin is now head coach of the Utah Jazz.   Elson Floyd died of cancer this past June.  No clue where Ricky Clemons is or what color girls he is dating.

The “students of color” at Mizzou, especially those on the FB / MBB teams, tend to come from “regional urban areas” – St Louis, KC, Chicago.   In recent years, Mizzou FB has also recruited successfully from Dallas / Houston.   Missouri, as a state, beyond St Louis / KC, is very similar demographically to North Carolina.  Outside of the “urban areas”, Missouri skews Red.

Best I can figure…. so far…. is this current Demand The President Be Fired Protest is fueled by left-over agitation from “Ferguson”.   There is no “Police Brutality” claim nor any Treyvon Martin / Michael Brown brouhaha in Columbia.  Apparently a few racial epithets scrawled on walls,  an “activist” complaining he was “disrespected”…. the usual yadda yadda but no physical violence or property damage.  No fraternity or any university-sanctioned organization or employee committed any heinous “disrespectful act”.   Just a handful of random knuckleheads being stoopid over several months.

There is always the possibility that President Tim Wolfe actually did/said something incredibly STOOPID.   Remember UNC’s Tom Ross almost hired Dickie Baddour to be UNC System Athletic Czar.   College Systems Admins are quite capable of abject stoopidity.

Again. Why you need to pay attention to this?

These sorts of media-fueled incidents tend to become trendy and breed Copy Cats very quickly.  IF this protest DOES succeed in getting the president fired, I GUARANTEE we will see all sorts of copy cats immediately all across the country…. UNCCH will, of course, be among the first group of campuses to copy cat.

Lets hope “that Bush woman” is paying attention.

I can assure you the Mizzou protestors are already trying to gin up similar protests among student thug-aletes at other schools…. “yours” might already be contacted.  A catchy slogan will be created…. and t-shirts, signs, and Al Sharpton on-campus will be next.   A sympathetic POTUS is a given and likely threats from the POTUS’ AG.

As I learn more from my “boots on the ground” in CoMo I will, of course, keep YOU in-the-know.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

58 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Cam Newton benefited from this…his little outrage against a WHITE couple was buried. Panthers will write whatever checks are necessary to pay the Fayetteville Cheesehead for Cam ripping his banner and destroying it. Remember, basking the swagger stick and ripping off buttons is the traditional punishment for treason. Cowdog nailed it. This was just a ploy…. Ben Carson also benefited…..WHITE Supremacy RULES….knocked the falsehoods about him to the back pages….. I am also an advocate of letting the folks try to “RUN” the asylum. I offer in evidence such glowing examples….New Orleans, Detroit, Durham County, Vance County, Halifax County….and there… Read more »

TheCowdog
TheCowdog

TheCowdog is sniffing more from out of Jefferson City than racial discord, and the power of prime time jocks.

Wolfe and Loftin have been on thin ice for quite sometime. Other players in the game are hiding in the hills…just over the Breaks.

john
john

i’ve got my popcorn and am enjoying the show.

john
john
Reply to  BobLee

if we’ve gotten to the point where games being played is so important that we buckle like this, we deserve whatever follows from this.

Doug
Doug

In our time one would be sent to the principals office for saying the “S” word or “F” word. These days kids get sent there for saying Christmas. (Just had to put that in) I’m like you, I don’t know why the inmates in the asylum took so long to figure out THEY’s in charge. But these knuckleheads should also be aware of the unintended consequences of killing the goose that laid the golden egg. I’m not sure that is taught in Community Organizing courses.

GrahamPacker
GrahamPacker

Yes, I am of Lupine affiliation, but not the extent of putting up with anarchy just to have a football team, and I don’t know what Chanc. Randy and the BOG would do. I just stated what I would do and hope they would do.

GrahamPacker
GrahamPacker

Please include me in the group that advocates wetting on the fire and calling in the hounds before “we allow the inmates to control the prison”. We all would be better off just having club teams if putting up with anarchist is the alternative. That candy-assed UM president and his BOG have essentially thrown up their hands and bent over. IMO, forfeiting the remaining games, closing down football, and dismissing the players and coaches would have been much better alternative!

ncsu1987
ncsu1987

Your crystal ball is frightening and, alas, likely all too true. (Sigh). And yet I continue to watch, continue to cheer, continue to care. Will this ugly precedent’s seemingly inevitable denouement tip the scales for me, for others? It’s getting harder to care, I’ll admit, and it does make me wonder where I’ll be in 5 years re: college sports. Now I’m all pensive and introspective – I’m male, I’m not supposed to do that….damn it, BL, you’re supposed to make me laugh, not think. It hurts. Sorry to monopolize you, I’ll leave some space for others…

ncsu1987
ncsu1987

My politics is my own – I am right of center, but likely considerably left of you, BL. I read you, and I read AP and I read some people you likely don’t agree with a lot. I do this because I like to see lots of perspectives. Very seldom do I see ANYTHING as black and white (assuming I’m allowed to write that old-fashioned analogy anymore) as this appears to be. But I don’t know how to paint this as anything other than catastrophic. To some degree, we stepped up to a ledge and, rather than coming to our… Read more »

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Major news outlets reporting Wolfe resignation. Really despicable….but it happened. Now, will the folks at UNC get on the “ME TOO” Bandwagon? Will the FB team and the MBB team join the thousands of protesters that did NOT approve of Margaret Spellings? Have absolutely NO info or insight into what happened at UoM, but you gotta think that every major (revenue and/or prestige generating) college coach did a “WTF?” this morning. There wasn’t this big a reaction when Bobby Knight defecated into a wad of toilet paper during halftime and carried it out and threw it on the locker room… Read more »

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad
Reply to  BobLee

Cam Newton did send a “SHOUT OUT” to his FB friends at UoM. This story dominated the headlines so this little “rant” and sign pilferage story got buried.

Yes, this did fire a BIG SHOT….sure gives a NEW meaning to NCAA and not to be confused with NAACP….

ncsu1987
ncsu1987

Twitter rumor is that Pres has resigned. Wow. Buckle up, boys, sh…tuff’s about to get real….

KenB
KenB

If they refuse to play, won’t they or can’t they lose their scholarship? The ultimate take my ball and go home! Let them pay their own way and just be the student part of student athlete!

Unaffiliated Voter
Unaffiliated Voter

Hmm,,, such situations would be a great opportunity to cease major college football programs which are nothing more than breeding grounds for future criminally oriented professional football players, the scourge of which has hastened nasty ‘role models’ into the mainscream … I say start shutting down the FB programs when this type of situation presents itself. shut it down. Simple. Football is NOT a requirement of a REAL
education !!!

Cabcash
Cabcash

“UNCCH will, of course, be among the first group of campuses to copy cat”

The same types who protested Saunders Hall , petition to have Silent Sam melted down and those who confronted the “Heritage Not Hate” flag-bearers? Yep. They’ll copy cat. “The ones who actually play on Saturday?” I’m guessin’ the Deb Stromans and Winston Crisps will help see to it those are kept in check.

Wolfdon
Wolfdon

I guess there is no possibility that this could lead to a counter revolution in college football where-in TPTB say not only no but hell no, clean house of thug- aletes, recruit semi( at least)student-athletes, allow picnic baskets at games, allow only uniforms with traditional school colors, require all teams in a conference to play each other and limit conference size accordingly, require TV of games to include half time activities, ……..just for starters….l know l have forgotten something.

Allen W. Smothers

Forgive my short-attention span perspective. but I don’t quite follow what you’re warning us the outcome might/should be? Are you warning the ever-petrified politically-correct guilty white-folk to guard against knuckling under to the socio-economically challenged, yet completely pampered and entitled thug-aletes, because it WILL be copied all across the country, say, if the thug-aletes don’t like what’s on the breakfast menu for the next week? OR are you warning the ADULTS on campus in Mizzou, if they don’t prove to the adolescent aggitators (thug-aletes and otherwise), that they aren’t in charge and their football participation is a privilege and NOT… Read more »

Allen W. Smothers
Reply to  BobLee

You’re all over it… I read this morning that Gary Pinkel is publicly supporting his players with a twitter quote, “the Mizzou family stands together!” My question is… AGAINST WHAT????? I’ve read a half dozen articles about this “situation” and have yet to fully understand what it is their upset about? Best I can tell is, the President is a wealthy white guy (as are most college presidents and corporate CEOs), and they are sick and tired of it… Is there a specific incident that has completely ticked them off and they aren’t going to stand for it anymore? If… Read more »

Robedixon
Robedixon

I must admit to sorta a guilty pleasure watching this “hostage taking” play out. These colleges with major college football programs and obsessed supporters (spectators) are reaping what they have been sowing for some years now. That is slowly evolving control of the institution by the thug athletes (gladiators) they have been pursuing with abandon with full support of the administators and supporters while slowly divorcing themselves of any standards in the pursuit of be a “football power.” The ends of being a footbal power never justified the means of getting there. I see no way this plays out to… Read more »

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Saw this early AM. Question for those who know NCAA rules. Think that the Scholly’s would be in effect for remainder of this Semester (Quarter – whatever). BUT, if they refused to play, then there COULD be suspension from team for breaking team rules. i.e. not practicing, not playing, not attending team meetings. THEN, I suppose that the NEXT Semester they would NOT be on the team. Don’t know if the Scholly’s are done on a yearly basis or for a Semester. Having traveled to St. Louis this summer, twice, and made short field trips from the Burbs into the… Read more »

GWC
GWC

Too small to be FBers ? What if the bald headed guy with glasses on the front row happens to be 6′ 195 lbs. ? Was Beetle Bailey for real ? The white FBers and Coach are now all in so the suspense builds . What’s the deal with the kid on a hunger strike that the team is supporting ? He no eat , they no play .

TheCowdog
TheCowdog

Tooz is all in….If he was in…it.

unctarheel1984
unctarheel1984

Seems a violation of their scholarships. Wish them well in their next careers and move on.

unctarheel1984
unctarheel1984
Reply to  BobLee

Absolutely true. Or we could turn control of the schools over to the Social Justice Warriors and allow them to dictate terms. Hopefully, the “kids” want to play more than they want to get played.

classichost
classichost

Solid work, I figured you would have something up on this pronto. This is also perhaps the most idle threat EVER, because there is no way BIG FOOTBAWL will allow something like this to be allowed to fester thru to fruition, even for a team in the doldrums like Mizzou there is just too much money at stake for anything like this to be allowed to interfere with either the ability to field a team. This sort of thing could be seen to completion on a small stage, but cooler heads will prevail just soon as everyone checks their bank… Read more »

Doug
Doug

It was the sign outside saying free pizza & chicken wings that brought them together for the special moment.

Jack-in-Charlotte
Jack-in-Charlotte

There is something fishy in that group picture. Most of those guys are not “big enough” to be FBers…. ??

fayettewuf
fayettewuf

Well written piece. My first take on the brouhaha with the emphasis on the haha, was that the president was in trouble for not over reacting to isolated incidents. As you said, he might have said something callous and politically incorrect but I have not heard of it. If copycats appear, my guess it they will be at schools with unsuccessful teams. I do not think that UNC is likely because they are on a roll but I smile to think of Royz Boyz on strike and him sending out the SAT boosters to play Duke.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x