BLS: ..Blame The Hindenburg and Other Thoughts

Hindenberg
October12/ 2015

Several weeks ago we discussed whether “a Hangar For The Hindenburg” a/k/a “a state-of-the-art Indoor Practice Facility” – was a prerequisite for a college football program to join the Juggernaut Club.   Are such very costly bling simply necessary as “we have one too” enticements to semi-literate 17 y/os to NC State IPF“PLEASE, Please, Please choose our academic institution for your “go-to-college” experience”.

I also noted in the earlier Hindenburg column that

“….. not practicing in adverse weather during the week could backfire when a team has to PLAY in adverse weather on Saturday (or on Friday night).”

Mother Nature obviously reads this website…. The Fighting Doerenians have, as most of you’ans know, come up short in their last two games – against teams within their comparable strata.

Both of those disappointing encounters were played under “inclement weather conditions” NOT duplicated in the cozy confines of The Hindenburg Hangar.

There are less expensive “recruiting enticements” available.

NOTE:  Area Sports-talker Joe Ovies notified us that “Coach Doeren says they don’t use it (The HH) if they anticipate bad weather for the upcoming game.”  …. so the multi-million facility is only used “if the weather forecast can be trusted”.   I maintain the whole concept is severely flawed.

Louisville only spent $10,000 for its “ho’s-on-call” program and won a National Championship.  Instead of a gianormous multi-million $$$$ IPF…. why not just pick up a used construction trailer…. paint it a garish color…. hang some Christmas lights on it…. throw a few mattresses on the floor…. a boom box for background music…. a mini-fridge, a stripper pole et al and VOILA – “Wolfpack Cafe Risque” for a night of carnal dee-lites a recruit will likely never forget.

risque2

It would use, what 6-8 parking spaces at most, instead of the several 100s that The Hindenberg Hangar gobbled up ??? ….. I’m just saying.

On a related note…. we also posted a Quirky recently about Georgia being The Only SEC School without an IPF but intending to build one soon.   Such a facility not previously considered “The Georgia Way”.   With Georgia now in its annual mid-season slump and having its annual “star running back blow out a knee” one wonders if Mark Richt will be around to see a UGa IPF.

It should be noted that reports of Mark Richt’s dismissal are more numerous over the past decade than BigFoot sightings.

Speaking of coaching dismissals, Charlie Strong dodged the bullet beneath the shadow of Big Tex.   I’m curious…. if Mack was responsible for the earlier Longhorn losses this season does Mack also get the credit for this Big Win?

Does the Big 12 Fickle Finger of Fan Anger now point to Norman OK ???

A Shout-out to the Purple Pirates Downeast….. their OOC “cupcakes” this season have included Florida – VaTech – BYU.   They were 1-2 but shoulda / coulda in both of the close losses.   Will Lincoln Riley regret grabbing the brass ring at OU?

In the New Millenium, has any program completely “trainwrecked” more completely than The University of Southern California?  There was “the Reggie Bush thing”….. then “fire Lane in the airport” and now “ship Sarkisian off to rehab”.    King Agamemnon’s Greeks Bearing Gifts did less damage to Troy than the recent/current USC “brain thrust”.

Did you know that all eight MLB playoff teams average more “runs-per-game” than Wake Forest Football is averaging “points-per-game”?   The not so potent Deacon offense will be on display the next two weeks versus Big Four Rivals.

In the eternal Comparison of Triangle Rivals…. all Three should “go bowling” (as if that means anything any more).   Their respective schedules favor The Fedorians winning 8-9- even 10 MAYBE…. or maybe not.

Chansky’s On The Edge of Greatness euphoria generated by The Greatest Comeback EVER can fizzle, of course, as October becomes November.   The Heels could be as mediocre as Art’s says their remaining opponents are.   “Depth” is not a Tar Heel roster quality.

For The Men of Doeren to have “a Dream Season” required them beating either/both ‘Ville or VaTech which, alas, didn’t happen.   Now their division’s juggernauts – FlaState & The Dabos – are looming.   Barring a total meltdown in W-Salem, the FireDave.com nitwits should remain under their rock for another few weeks.

As always…. The Seasons for both fan bases will come down to THE Greatest Football Rivalry …. within 50 miles of The Intersection of I-40 and Page Road.

Meanwhile in the Friendly (and Very Uncrowded) Confines of The New Wally,  The Cutcliffe Era just keeps on recording more Ws than anyone would ever have predicted.

Frau’s old employer up in College Park just axed Randy Edsall.   WhatsHisName over in Charlottesville will be next…. unless the FireAlGolden gang in Miami steps up their war efforts.

Speaking of MLB…. am I the only one to notice how the entire “media narrative” shifts 180 degrees after each game.   The same thing happened during the NBA Playoffs.

The pundits feed the 24/7 media monster the same post-game crap predicting doom & gloom or  hats & horns following each game’s outcome…. UNTIL the next game…. and they reverse their previous predictions.

Despite That Ultimate OMG 2nd Inning Melt-down versus the Cubs on Saturday, I’m not giving up on The Redbirds.  Into The Unforgiving Maw of The Friendly Confines of Wrigley today versus THE GREATEST PITCHER Of ALL-TIME EVER who no one had ever heard of six months ago…… “Greatest Ever” is a very disposable term.   The Beauty of Baseball is that until that 27th out is recorded…. “Hope springs eternal”.

Re: “That Chase Utley Death-Slide” ….. I go with what current/recent players / managers are saying – “It’s Big Boy Baseball”.   With goggle-eyed fans it will ALWAYS be whether its our guys or their guys who “done it”.   That Utley will not be in uniform for the upcoming two games at Citi Field is probably a wise move by Joe Torre.

Have you watched Pete Rose as a studio analyst for FoxSports1?  What a dumb galoot!0a42cec04784dd63ada8dbb623bf1818

Unless you are a bona-fide Colin Cowherd-Hater, check out his new show on FoxSports from noon-3.   He has modified his schtick a bit but the Big Deal is he has a chick side-kick – Kristine Leahy – who is very very cool.   Yes…. very ‘hot” but simply “charming”.  Maybe THE most watchable sports gal since Phyllis George in the 70s.   Waaaaay prettier than Erin Andrews et al.

Speaking of Really Stoopid ….. this “Greg Hardy” Crap is why I don’t watch The NFL much any more.  If Jerry Jones cut this jackass (which he should have), another NFL owner would pick him up.   Again…. fans only care based on “us or them”.

Have you ever heard the term “Steampunk”?   It is a Sci-Fi literary fiction genre.  Think Jules Verne / HG Wells….. Wild Wild West or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen…. late 1800s with dashing heroes and mega-villains with Doomsday weapons.   Very cool!  I’m binging on “Steampunk” novels these days.

Later buddies and babes …..

Tags:
  • wolfdon Reply

Regarding the UNC IPF, as usual : “to seem rather than to be” 🙂

I suppose. UNC’s is “an IPF” just not “state-of-the-art” which The H-Hangar won’t be within 5 years. If DD is still around in 5 years he’ll be wanting a “bigger better one…. in order to compete”. They always do.

I’m guessing DD’s agent is putting feelers out to Maryland because of his previous experience in Big Ten territory. The two recent losses don’t help his cause though. Alas, the Terp’s don’t have a state of the art IPF but Mr. Under Armour can put one up out of his petty cash account if he so chooses. Not sure if UMD would be a good fit for DD because obviously there is no world-class Hunt Library up in Terpville in which to dazzle potential recruits. 🙂

Your “jest” might arouse some retaliation… unless DD happens to go 3 L’s in a Row in W-Salem. If so, the Wuff wooley-bully faction will be glad to see him go… and will provide Monte Kiffin’s horse for him to ride out on. DD ain’t BIG ENUFF to please Terps loonies.

• wolfdon Reply

If he is around in 5yr., he will probably get it. 🙂

Retaliation is a daily occurrence. My son was recently betrothed to a NCSU grad ex-cheerleader so I get punched and counter-punched frequently. Future Pirate and Tar Heel contests against the Pack will provide even more fun opportunities. BTW her dad and Jimbo Fisher were best pals growing up in West (By-God) Virginia and she don’t take WV or Jimbo jabs nearly as well as Pack jabs. It’ll be fun finally getting to be a daddy-in-law. When/if they start reading BLS I’m changing my call sign though. I’m crazy but not that stupid.

Pseudonyms are better than a WitnessProtectionProgram.

• WildatHeart Reply

Great writing as always. i do have a question about UNC not having an indoor facility. When you go to goheels.com and look under “football facilities” toward the end they have two photos of an indoor facility with the caption:

“The recent completion of a new indoor facility on campus allows the Tar Heels to also practice indoors.”

So it seems they do have one.

Not a “for-real one”, Has a concrete floor so no tackling and also very limited in size. Probably “good enough” to fool the average semi-literate 17 y/o but not the more discriminating ones. Larry/Gene want “a real one”.

In the vein of “never let a good crisis go to waste….”, I did expect some sort of column pertaining to NCSU’s two game losing streak…..but did not pick-up on the IPF theme. Your comparison and the rest was well crafted.

However, for the record, the IPF was NOT used for 3 practices prior to the Louisville game, according to knowledgeable folks that are allowed to attend the practices based on being Ex FB Alum. Note the two different categories….FB and Alum….

I have not been contacted by BK and have also NOT sent Debbie Yow and Bobby Purcell helpful season saving suggestions such as adding fans and SPRINKLERS to the IPF. It is NOT climate controlled in that it only has ventilation. I suspect there is some modest form of heat, primarily for the plumbing systems…..but it ain’t HVAC’ed.

I have received copies of the audio tapes that were in the secret recording devices of Kevin Anderson’s offices. Since I was not provided the video and did not do a voice identification confirmation, I can only conclude that they “seem” authentic.

Mr. Anderson, after each loss by the UofMD was pacing on the Red, Yellow, White, Black (and other colors) MD Fighting Flag (hand woven by adults earning a living wage in SF). As the scores were worse each game, he paced more and wrestled with his decision. Since it was HE, who actually FIRED the Fridge and hired Edsall, then he finally looked heavenly and lamented….

“Lord, please help me. Tell me what Debbie Yow would do…..?” It is reported that there was a thunderous crash, lightning and rain…..and that a female voice said…..FIRE…FIRE…..here is your statement……

“We appreciate Randy’s tireless commitment to the University of Maryland,” athletic director Kevin Anderson said in a statement. “This was a difficult decision, but ultimately this is the best course of action for our football program moving forward.”

There will be a massive Jimmy V. Exorcism at midnight tonight on the east parking lot of the PNC. Hurricane fans have started a social media event along with the WPC. A separate ceremony will be held later tomorrow morning at the IPF….after Snoopy has “left the building”

That the HH is rarely used other than as a recruiting “lookie lookie” should not surprise anyone. As noted… semi-literate 17 y/os totally control every decision in BTCF/MBB these days… I believe the Bye Bye Randy Edsall statement is straight out of the “You got 30 minutes to clear out your office. Here’s a cardboad box” speech. Every fired coach “worked tirelessly ….. yadda yadda.”

• Eric Reply

BobLee, I don’t think it’s the “hanger.” I matriculated at NCSU in 1975 (a time closer to the actual Hindenberg disaster than it is to now!) and I’ve seen us swoon one way or another, over & over. We swooned before the IPF, before TGU, and before there were boards for Board Monkeys. We swooned before, during, and after Philip and Russell, too. It’s what we do. Sometimes we do win a big game or a bowl game to make it more palatable.

But have you seen the Hunt Library? It’s amazing.

BUT BUT BUT The H-Hangar was going to finally cure all “that swooning” ??? You got Jumbos and Jock Dorms and “lots of charging stations” and The H-Hangar and …. and …. and. Some programs are just not meant to be Juggernauts.
      I hear Hunt Library was originally to be THE Bob Kennel Library but BK humbly deferred to The Governor-For-Life. Maybe NCSU should be content to be a Very Very Fine World-Class STEM / Research Institution …. huh?

• Eric Reply

We really thought Chuck would make us a juggernaut. We really did. And we thought there were lots more Philips and Torrys and Teds hoping for a STEM education here.

I display my NC State license plate proudly, but I wish they would make a frame for it which said, “Y’all, I’m talking about ENGINEERING, not sports…”

UNC should ask for a Kuralt plate!

Alas, poor Chuck K’s post-mortem revelation of a Utah paramour soiled his Uncle Charlie image.

• Tom Jones Reply

Thanks for the list of authors, I will add them to my list. NCS better watch out for the Deacs, one win in Winston in the last 20 plus years. Funny but heartbreaking was leaving the stadium in 2003 when Philip Rivers and crew were undefeated coming into the game and headed for Ohio State the next week. The Deacs hung a 38-24 loss on them and as I walked up the stairs to the exit I saw a 7 year little wolf packer all decked out in Red sobbing and looking at his dad and saying why dad, why.

My experience has been that 7 y/os handle defeats MUCH BETTER than their dads do. I have a column I keep meaning to post about “that”. IF Deacs do prevail, the FireDaveD.com gang will be beside themselves. Always fun for me, but a step back for Mankind.

• wolfdon Reply

BK and the rest of our brain trust are way out in front on the hanger concerns, will modify the facility to include a variable speed wind tunnel and multi-purpose heavy duty variable directional sprinkler system.

Also, don’t forget that Maryland is the only BIG school not to have an IPF. See what losers they are . They are working the problem, however, as plans are underway to modify Cole Field House at modest cost of 150M to get up to date on this.

LOL, I don’t doubt that AT ALL. Maryland AND Georgia don’t have IPFs. UNC does not have “a full-size state-of-the-art IPF”. Larry/Gene have begged for one but, due to TGU, PTBs do not feel “now is the time to hit up Fat Cats AGAIN”.

• Kypackman Reply

Haven’t heard the term “steampunk”, but I did read the new Reacher book and thought it was the worst one Child has written. Now on the other hand, the new CJ Box novel was excellent – as usual. Was curious what you thought about both of them.

I have the latest Reacher in my queue but have yet to get to it. Love Box and Joe Pickett / Nate as always. Latest “Mitch Rapp” is a fitting tribute to Vince Flynn. I might recommend Mark Dawson’s “John Milton” series. Milton is a combo of Reacher and Mitch Rapp. Robert Crais has a new Joe Pike / Elvis Cole coming out next month.

• fayettewuf Reply

Just finished Make Me. I think Lee Child has jumped the shark with this one. I have not gotten the latest CJ Box but look forward to it.

“Shark jumping” happens to the best of’em. Is it better to stop one story short or go “one too many”? Anything with LEE CHILD / “REACHER” on its cover is going to sell a lot of pancakes.
          As noted earlier, check out Mark Dawson’s “John Milton” series. Former Mi-6 Assassin who quits to “be a laconic Reacher wanderer”. Milton has Mitch Rapp’s ruthlessness.

• Kypackman

After Lee Child said in an interview that Jack Reacher would definitely support Obama over Romney in the last election, I thought he was stupid. I think MJ and Tiger would have advised against that comment. I think “Jumped the shark” is a good description for his new book. Not sure a first time author would have gotten that effort published.

I knew Child was a Far-Lefty. He has taken a few shots at Rush over the years. Rush and Vince Flynn were very good friends. As are Rush and Ted Bell. I’d put Child’s comment along with Jack Buck’s son – Joe – saying he wanted to call a Cubs World Series as “don’t believe I’da said that….”

Bubba ‘n Earl think practicing or playing football indoors is a ho-ax. What’s it called when a juggernaut become de-juggered?

A Jugger-Not…. ???

Winner. You get the points. Can I get the assist for the easy layup? ?

You are the “Corchiani” of BL Buddies!