Tar Heels Outdraw State and Duke COMBINED!

Kenan Stadium
September21/ 2015

Circle the date – September 19, 2015. Amid Kenan’s lofty pines, much-maligned UNCCH outdraws both NC State and Duke COMBINED on a Football Saturday

And that was with UNC’s opponent’s – a Big Ten “I” school – traveling fan contingent numbering fewer fans than Duke’s Marching Several Dozen.

OK, this is a trick achievement. This past Saturday was Week One of Dave & Frau’s “Come To State & See The World” Promotion. State played Old Dominion in Norfolk at The Monarch’s 19,818-capacity “historic” Foreman Field @ S.B. Ballard Stadium Complex.   How “cozy” is the S.B. Ballard Sports Complex? We’re told it would fit INSIDE The Hindenberg Hangar.  No, there were no “charging stations” in the locker rooms.ODU Football

This was a clever recruiting ploy to showcase NC State to the talent-laden Tidewater football community. Lawrence Taylor, Ronald Curry, Allan Iverson and “The Vick Brothers” are a few of the area’s notable athlete alumni. Curry being the one who has NOT “done jail time”.

State went all-out to impress by actually wearing its Red & White uniforms. The Monarchs dressed in all-black so the NCAA new rule of “one team must wear all-black” was met.

This coming week Dave & Frau’s globetrotting tour continues as the Pack travels to “LA” ….. Lower Alabama that is – Mobile – to play the Jaguars of South Alabama in Ladd-Peeples Stadium (cap. 40,000).  FYI: Donald Trump drew over 30,000 to Ladd-Peeples on August 20 without wearing all-black.

Since Mobile’s best prospects have only woeful Auburn or Alabama as in-state options, The Pack should bring back a few blue-chippers from this jaunt. This is considered the Philip Rivers’ “home game” as PR’s hometown of Athens is only 349 miles away from Mobile ??

Meanwhile over at The New Wally….. Duke hosted fellow private elite institution Northwestern of the Jim Delany Big Ten/14. Wonder if Northwestern’s basketball coach Chris Collins came “back home” for this one?

Duke JumbotronSaturday’s very few fans turnout disproved the old adage – “Just install a bigger Jumbotron and they will come”.  No, they won’t.

The empty seats @ The New Wally were as numerous as they were during the Ted Roof Era @ The Old Wally. That had to be as troublesome to Coach Cut as his Blue Devils’ lethargic play in a 10-19 defeat.

Nick Saban was not the only coach to see his National Championship hopes dissolve on Saturday.

Meanwhile eight miles down 15-501 “amid those gosh-darned towering pines” Team Larry/Gene ran amuck against “one of the ‘I’ schools” of Delany’s Big Ten/14. Fellow “Sleeping Giant” and fellow “scandal-ridden” Illinois proved no match for the rampaging youngsters in traditional Carolina Blue / White. The game wasn’t as close as the 48-14 final score.

Alas, as was the case o’er in Durham…. the appeal of a undefeated visiting Power Five opponent was not enough to fill the aluminum in fabled Kenan. Assuming “probably over 40,000” (??) were on-hand, that still tops the COMBINED turn-out to see both the Wolfpack and the Blue Devils on this particular Saturday.   On TV, you couldn’t see the 20,000 or so Fat Cats enjoying chicken fingers inside The Blue Zone…. maybe ??  🙂Beth Mowins

Wonder how many TruBlues decided to stay home and watch on ESPN2 and listen to the historic play-by-play from a identified-as-FEMALE announcer – Beth Mowins. You know the notoriously gender-biased Chancellor Chihuahua and Dr Debbie Don’t Do Lunch were both “pleased as punch” to have Beth on-campus. I’ll pay cash money for a group pic of Chihuahua, Debbie, Beth AND Blake Dodge. All four of whom “identify as female”…. I think.

Did Chihuahua sport a special “Welcome Beth” lapel ribbon for the occasion? My invites to the Chancellor’s Box ended when Holden left so I can’t tell you.   I also cannot confirm that Madame Folt had a bidet installed in the press box in honor of Ms Mowins.

NOTE:  Wuffs versus Jaguars will be on ESNPN.  Tar Heels versus Blue Hens will, alas, be relegated to ESPN3 a/k/a “computer TV”.  Ga Tech vs Duke at New Wally will be on ESPN2 a/k/a “real TV”.   Damn You John Skipper (UNC’75).

Elsewhere amid the color and pageantry – you just know that FireNickSaban.com surely popped up somewhere in Greater Tuscaloosa. It’s also a “for sure” that no disgruntled Crimson Tider is calling for Steve Spurrier to replace Nick. OUCH!

SS’s presser after being steamrolled “between the hedges” was basically “We ain’t worth a damn but what the hell, they’re all I got….”. Is it time for Ray Tanner to call The Swoff and see if The ACC would like “Two Carolinas” again?

After going 0-3, Louisville’s “Bad Boy” Bobby Patrino looked / felt like he had fallen off another motorcycle. OUCH!

Former Louisville Coach Charlie Strong had yet another Alamo-moment in Austin. A missed PAT proved that “program turn-around win over Rice” (??) was a tad premature. Regardless, Texas won’t be calling Spurrier either.

Gene Chizik’s old team – Auburn’s War Eagles – made it an 0-2 weekend for Alabama-based Juggernauts. Gus’ Guys got mauled by Mike The Tiger in Baton Rouge. OUCH!

No report whether USC Coach Steve Sarkisian was sober or not, but his Men of Troy got beat by “The Fighting Conifers” of Palo Alto.

Wonder if this is the first time EVER that Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Southern Cal, Duke AND Old Dominion have all lost on the same day?

I guarantee you that if this was Baseball, The Elias Sports Bureau would know in less than 30 seconds.

Speaking of Baseball…. The Cardinals’ streak of 3-game series without being swept stretched to 106 on Sunday amid “the VERY unfriendly confines of Wrigley Field”.

Here’s The Scene: The RedBirds was holding a 4-3 lead in the 8th – no outs and the bases full of Cubs. 40,000 Cub lunatics sensed blood-in-the-water as Cards’ relievers couldn’t find the plate with a GPS. A flyball to medium right…. Jason Heywood takes it on-the-run….. and fires a perfect laser to “Yadi” to nail Anthony Rizzo at home by a step. Trevor then strikes out the next Cub and 40,000 Cub lunatics are thwarted…..

YADI Yadi

BUT:   On the play at the plate, “Yadi” jams his left thumb. OH NO !!! Little-used back-up Tony Cruz dons the tools-of-ignorance for the all-important 9th. Cards still up 4-3.

First Cub gets on. Maddon puts in his designated pinch-runner Quentin Berry – a/k/a the tying run.  Berry was 25-0 in previous steal attempts.  Little-used-backup catcher Tony Cruz hasn’t taken a single warm-up throw. 40,000 Cub lunatics and yours truly all know the Cubs speedster is going to steal second to be in-scoring-position with no outs. Rosenthal delivers…. the runner takes off….

…. and little-used back-up catcher Tony Cruz (with nary a warm-up throw) fires a PERFECT STRIKE to Kolton Wong at the bag and NAILS THE SUMBITCH by a half-step.  Berry is now 25-1 in steal attempts.  …. Ya HOOOO!

The RedBirds had ripped the heart out of the hated Cubs and stomped that sucker flat. Cards WIN 4-3 !!!  McCarver going nuts calling the plays at the plate in the 8th and the throw-out at second in the 9th among Greatest Plays By Any Catcher Ever…. “almost Kennel-esque”.

…. after the game disgruntled Cubs’ manager Joe Madden claimed those two incredible plays were probably illegal but he wasn’t sure how. Cards’ “Manager Mike” responded by actually almost smiling.

Speaking of “streaks” I continued mine of not watching more than ten minutes of any NFL game in pre-season OR during the first two weeks of when-they-count. I did hear that the Cowboys have activated Clint Longley to replace the broken-collarbone (and broken Super Bowl dreams of) Tony Romo.

Patriot###

I told you in a Quirky last week about Ted Bell’s latest Lord Alexander Hawke’s action-thriller Patriot.   I finished it over the weekend.  “Best Alex Hawke yarn YET”.   Imagine a combo of James Bond – Mitch Rapp & Dirk Pitt.  Lord Hawke versus Vlad Putin one-on-one …. the Fate of The World in play…. guess who blinks?

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Tags: , ,
Notify of
guest

68 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Slick Willie
Slick Willie

I’ve heard it said that we need to have Mexican immigrants because they’ll do jobs Americans won’t do. Maybe we could get them to go to UNC football games.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

BL, You appear to be a man ahead of his peers. Within the past fortnight, FIVE noted (of at least they feel noted) writers/sites have penned (clicked) articles. Joe Ovies – WRAL The Daily Tarheel WNCN Andrew Carter – N&O Pro Wolfpack Site where a NATION of FANS will STATE their opinions That is pretty cool. I will tip my Hatlo hat, which is Red, to you. You were the FIRST to lead the parade of others who just jumped onto your Band Wagon. What is also funny is that Andrew Carter actually called out, in print, the “Fan Inflation”… Read more »

Reply to  BobLee

The Alamo was still standing when I was there last. Remember the Carolina Junction Boys!

Bob
Bob

Looks like the daily tar heel reads BobLeesays. Today’s column thanking Evil Dan follows your column by a week. The comments are priceless. Hope shows itself again with the jschool at UNC. Now if the adults in positions of power would learn from their students then maybe UNC can finally put this in the rear view mirror. Thanking Dan Kane is a step it the right direction. Kudos to DTH. Later BobLee

Doug

Wow such a serious reply to a tongue and cheek comment. No ABC’er here. I laugh at all of em. Once upon a time I was put in charge of the silly rebranding on of an operating company of our parent company in Africa. Globally the M$$$’s spent would fund a small republic for years. The event culminated with a splash launch party attended by local corrupt politicians, ambassadors, the British High Commissioner, and assorted other characters there for the free adult beverages. A couple of days later, a colleague sent out a meaningless memo on “THE OLD STATIONERY’ at… Read more »

Reply to  BobLee

But the hit count is skyrocketing! :-). PS: If you find out which brand NCSU68 is smoking please let me know so I can switch.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad
Reply to  Doug

Doug,

Not to be a bit dense….but I don’t quite understand your criticism. I live in a real world. OK, I connect a few dots that others don’t see the connection…..but I do it in a tongue-in-cheek way. My recent post was facts….which are available from the NCAA data.

I also sent your post to Clint, my Navajo buddy in Monument Valley. He shot back….”White man smoke bad weed….no way to translate”.

Feel free to criticize what seems illogical….but if you don’t have the facts or do the research, then…..put down your rocks….

Reply to  NCSU68Grad

Mr. 68, I was being tongue and cheek too. If it didn’t come across that way blame the www or 30+ years of writing dry technical memos as a corporate slave. I do completely enjoy your missives and meant no disrespect.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

“Compared to percent capacity from the 2014 season, attendance is down 23% at Syracuse, 19% at North Carolina, 7% at Boston College and 6% at Florida State. Attendance is up 5% at State and Duke, 18% at Virginia, 13% at Pitt and 4% at Miami. Everybody else is within a percentage point or two from last year. State and Clemson lead the conference in percent capacity despite not playing a Power 5 opponent at home”. The above quotes come from the, relatively speaking, SANER WP Boards. They have an article today called “ACC Aluminum Watch”. Charts of the attendance, comments,… Read more »

Doug

You are out of compliance. The cover photo is devoid of argyle and has been reported to the proper authorities in charge of lapel ribbons and miscellaneous infractions by your pal Chansky. A fine and/or suspension is inevitable.

tarspartan
tarspartan

One of the oft-forgotten bits of Kennedy’s “To the Moon” speech was his joke “Why does Rice play Texas?” Give it another year or two and that won’t be a joke any more. As for baseball, it’s both thrilling and a shame that the three best teams are all in the NL Central. It means every game counts, but it also means two really good teams face a one-game playoff or elimination before playing lesser competition. I know every sports league has its version of this quandary, and I don’t claim to have a solution except for going back to… Read more »

bob
bob

There has been a sighting of the last college commissioner with ” an ounce of integrity “. The PAC 12 will not accept advertising revenue from the gambling sites FanDual or Draft Kings on the PAC 12 network. Maybe all hope is not lost. Later BobLee

Arnold69
Arnold69

Readers from Georgia appreciate the tip of the hat to the late Lewis Grizzard who wrote They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat.

TheCowdog
TheCowdog

Ha! Nice try, BL. You can paint Kenan seats any shade of UCLA Blueish ya want.

My Crayola 64 pack says it’s “Cornflower.”

Old MacDonald
Old MacDonald

If you ever want to empty out the “indoor” part of the aptly-named “Blue Zone” for attendance-figuring purposes, just have Kennell show up in there to give a speech during the game. Every single person will be outside and in their seat within 5 seconds. Also, someone else noticed: http://wncn.com/2015/09/21/attendance-woes-plague-fedora-heels/

Dr.Vinnyboombatz
Dr.Vinnyboombatz

I like your spin on the attendance at Kenan. Did you raid the PR firm’s files or infiltrate one of their meetings to come up with that headline gem? I don’t see how either Illinois or UNC could successfully field a punt through all of the reflection of sunlight off the aluminum last Saturday. In your opinion, were 41,000 people really in Kenan? Or did the Edelman PR firm invent those numbers like they have much of the other “Facts” they have in other aspects of TGU?

SeaIsland Gambler
SeaIsland Gambler

The woman (that is a pick-em bet) wearing the pearl necklace used a phony two-octaves deeper than normal but I’m doing the best I can voice. I know all about gender equality and stuff, but she was awful… still thinks a split end is a hair problem and a free safety is a no-fee fanny flutterer in the defensive backfield… Still, this is coastal Georgia and we tolerate the no-see-um bugs in the summer and take what we can get when it comes to Tar Heel Nation in the Fall and Winter. As for the game’s other broadcaster, a friend… Read more »

TerriH
TerriH

You “set the hook” and reeled them in again BL. 🙂

WildatHeart
WildatHeart
Reply to  BobLee

Always appreciated that 😉

wolfdon
wolfdon

Not many Duke alum are gonna drive all the way down from N.J. to watch a football game…:)

Babs In Derm
Babs In Derm

Saturday WAS a hot day in Durham. I was working our tent at Centerfest in Downtown Durham and “about died”. I heard it got up to 90.

wolfdon
wolfdon

In fact, I read somewhere that there were at least 28,000 Fat Cats chowing down on chicken fingers in the Blue Zone…….

MB in Balmer
MB in Balmer

Given all the empty seats I saw on what looked to be a beautiful day in Chapel Hill I am surprised at the poor attendance in Durham. ???

Chip
Chip

I dunno Boblee. I was at SK Ballard Stadium/Historic Foreman Field Saturday night. There may have been more at ODU than I saw in Chapel Hill on the deuce. Maybe it was “silver-out” day in Kenan. I could see where there would be some confusion in Chapel Hill about 41k. These are the same guys who advertise the 95% graduation rate amongst athletes.

myowngrandpaw
myowngrandpaw
Reply to  BobLee

At one time the Heels did paint their helmets aluminum.

I believe Ken Willard was one of those players.

UNC has only to blame themselves as they push the students to the endzone and allow the fat cats to purchase the seats for prestige instead of presence.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Since, on a RARE occasion, I have never let facts interfere with a good story or parable….I probably should let this pass and not point out this pesky little statistics…. According to the GOHEELS site, the published attendance was 41,000 which is 66% of capacity…..despite running 50% (or less) Groupons and Living Socials. I’m sure you are keenly aware that the Nov 7 ARCH RIVAL Duke game is currently being sold at a 52% discount on the social bargain hunter’s sites. NCSU’s attendance for both home games to Little Debbie and her cousin, Twinkie, were at 99.95% of the 56K… Read more »

Reply to  BobLee

Fan fatigue is a factor. However many UNC fans do not have any emotional investment in football whatsoever. It drives both NCSU and ECU fans crazy to the point where many claim UNC in arrogant and ignores them because of some undeserved superiority complex. Hell, UNC IGNORES UNC in football. I used to go the every UNC football game in the 70’s and attendance would be in the 40K range just like today’s attendance averages. Truthfully I was more interested in the parties afterwards. Little has changed really. My UNC graduate brother-in-law, who wouldn’t miss UNC Mens BB playing either… Read more »

Reply to  BobLee

Even during Mack’s 1-10 campaigns I recall consistent ~48K crowds yet everyone seemed excited about the football future. I’m not sensing that now. Hope I’m wrong and hope it changes soon.

Lakepacker
Lakepacker

Just a minor correction to the facts. Us Wuffs have graduated off the computer to ESPNews. No computer for us this week as we head to LA.

58 Wolf Kennel
58 Wolf Kennel

Darn, Wild got here before I did. Did count 41,000 Aluminum Seats at Kenan, however. Actually it was kinda’ sad. My pastor and his family were there and face-booked his tailgate from inside the back of his minivan. He and his wife were both Carolina undergrads (and wonderful people). He’s the one who interned down in Goldsboro with William Barber after Duke Divinity. The picture also looks like his 6 year old is giving the “finger” which you had to blow up to see it was actually a “fat French fry” which I accused our Carolina pastor of taping to… Read more »

R C
R C
Reply to  BobLee

Smokey Burgess! Wonderful to see my home town hero, childhood idol, and fellow church member mentioned in a BobLee post!

MaHa
MaHa

BL, I tried for about 5 minutes but that’s all I could take of Ms? Mowins, and then I think she did the Yankees and Mets last night. Is this who has replaced Curt Schilling? All is lost. MAHA.

WildatHeart
WildatHeart

Well from every angle I saw of Kenan on Saturday it didn’t look like there were as many people as there were in Norfolk. The announced 41,000 in Chapel Hill seemed as honest as the 99% graduation rates 😉

WildatHeart
WildatHeart
Reply to  BobLee

Just trying to be the “Truth Detector” 😉

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x