Why No Snowflakes On The Brickyard?

Brickyard
February02/ 2017

Why (statistically) are there No Snowflakes “on The Brickyard @ NCSU”?    You ever wondered about that? I have.

NOTE: This is NOT a political rant. It is a legitimate question as regards NC State University. By posting this here rather than on AgentPierce’s page we will be assured of valued contributions from several of our more knee-jerk opinioniers. Any / all are, of course, encouraged to weigh-in on this one.

“Snowflakes” is the en vogue term for those poor delicate, uber-sensitive, junior-millennials who, like their namesake, melt at the first contact with the slightest discomfort – real or, in their cases, imagined.  Safe Zones

They scurry to their institutionally assigned “safe places” where, like Anne Frank in her Amsterdam attic, they fear 24/7 the imminent arrival of assorted varieties of DANGER.

“DANGER” to a snowflake is anything they have been told by their “handlers” could bruise their oh-so-delicate sensitivities. The source of all that DANGER is, of course, from jack-booted ideologues in opposition to the little snowflakes’ own ideologue-driven handlers.

The words Trump … FoxNews … Rush Limbaugh … HB2 … and Real Life et al are some of the many “trigger words” that push a Snowflake to the edge of catatonia. Their teary little eyes well up and they commence to ashivering and ashuddering and spinning about like little whirling dervishes. It is quite a site.

DranoBL NOTE: I am the father of a 29-y/o millennial “hipster” married to a preacher-man and living in Madison WI where “snowflakes” of both kinds are abundant. She is strong-willed and opinionated (some of her opinions are “silly”; but don’t tell her I said that!). IF she had been “a snowflake” I would have guzzled a can of Drano as those 18+ years under my and Blondie’s parental influence would have been totally wasted. They weren’t… she isn’t… so here we are.

OK. That’s what Snowflakes are. Today’s question is how come we never see / read about any significant Snowflake sightings on the campus of NC State University.

The twin “Flagships” of the UNC System – NCSU and UNCCH – are located 26 miles apart within the same metro area. They have roughly the same student population – 30,000-ish. NCSU may have slightly more in-state students but not enough to be a factor.  NCSU is a highly-ranked STEM institution.  UNCCH is equally highly-ranked among Liberal Arts institutions. …. Both campuses have more female than male students. UNCCH significantly so… NCSU just slightly more so. Neither school has a significant AfAm population. NCSU does have more AfAm students. UNCCH has a statistically insignificant AfAm population, even less if one discounts student-athletes.

If one believes “media reports” (Bwahahaha / LOLOLOL) practically everyone at UNCCH including faculty, administrators, students and housekeepers are “snowflakes”. Hardly a week goes by that there is not “film at 11” of a gaggle of imperiled snowflakes at UNCCH huddled together in front of a campus landmark holding misspelled signs advocating some impending imaginary peril about which their breadth of knowledge is a 3×5 index cards of “talking points”.

On the recent Inauguration Day, Jim Goodmon’s WRAL TV-5 enthusiastically reported a student “walk-out” to protest all things Trump. Do you know how many students were involved? …. “SCORES”! I kid you not – “SCORES” of UNCCH snowflakes were protesting. A shot of said snowflakes outside South Bldg might have numbered 30…. Maybe 40 if one counts the media. Using Abe Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address a score” is “20”.

The public perception of UNCCH is a campus as overrun with sniveling snowflake dissidents and junior anarchists as Calcutta is with rats. Yet we see the very same 30-50 sniveling snowflakes at every well-documented protest du jour. Generously double that to “maybe 100” …. oMaynard Grebbsut of 30,000 ??? Yet UNCCH seems to relish it’s long-time image as Berkeley South.

Is this image more from gaggles of  human flotsam and jetsam that have migrated to “Chapelboro” over the years seeking to escape “the real world” in the way that Dobie Gillis’ pal Maynard G. Grebbs was so terrified of “WORK !!”?

I proffer that 94% of “college students” at 97% of colleges are there for the same reason we went “back in the day – The Five Get’s:

Get Drunk – Get Laid – Get High – Get a Degree – Get a Job

The order of priority of those Gets vary with each student of course. Likewise their success in achieving all five may vary.  The ones more successful wth the last two tend to spend less time on the first three.

The #1 Concern of 96% of college students is NOT “the environment” …. NOT “Trump” …. NOT “where trans-sexuals pee” …. NOT even  “who did we get on National Signing Day”. The #1 Concern of college students in 2017 is the same it has always been – The personal hygiene of their dorm room mate.

Snowflake3

So… accepting all of the above as Gospel Truth…. How come the number of Snowflakes “on The Brickyard” is statistically zero?

Surely there are some TrumpHaters between Western Blvd and Hillsborough St.

Surely there are samples of all the dozens of gender-hybrids in West Raleigh.

The next generation of Bob Kennels (YIKES!) are probably spray-painting Che Guevarra images in that Tunnel thingy.

…. BUT WE NEVER HEAR ABOUT’EM ??

AND…. Jim Goodmon’s WRAL-TV5 gang is located just across Western Boulevard. McClatchy’s N&O journo-weasels are only 4-5 blocks away. If “SCORES” of NCSU snowflakes were assembled “on The Brickyard” holding misspelled posters and mumbling some rap version of “Hell No… We Want Go!” or “Never Trust Anyone Over 30” or “Tippecanoe & George Soros Too” – you KNOW “the media” would be all over it.Randy Woodson

Could it be that NCSU Chancellor Randy Woodson sees a higher more practical purpose for his institution than does his counterpart “Chancellor Chihuahua” 26 miles away?   Unlike Frau Folt, does Randy not concern himself with what color causal lapel ribbon to wear today.

• Does Randy measure success by how many NCSU grads go forth to “make a difference” and be self-sustaining after their 4-6 or so years at NCSU? … Not by how many snowflakes required “trauma counseling” after Nov 8th
  • Does an NCSU education require more time with one’s nose to the academic grindstone than making up misspelled protest signs?
  • Do future engineers and architects and computer scientists and veterinarians and agricultural researchers need to use those transitional years between 18 and 23 to REALLY learn something that will benefit them and their future families out there in the often-unforgiving real world”?

…. Maybe more so than those students in “BlahBlah Studies” under Chancellor Chihuahua’s “in loco parentis”?

What say YOU ??

AgentPierce’s Latest:  How Super Bowl LI Jumped The Shark is AWESOME – CLICK

• Angie Reply

My friend just shared this article and turned me on to your site. I was reading it at Irregardless and when I came to the Chancellor Chihuahua comment, I laughed so hard my husband thought something was wrong with me. Must admit I have degrees from both NCSU and UNC, but will always be a State fan.
    To be perfectly honest, in my day we did march at NCSU – on Thursday nights after the Homecoming Pep Rally from the campus straight down Hillsborough Street to the Confederate Statute where we climbed all over it, had another pep rally and marched or ran back to campus. We also had a tendency to burn things – when we had really big wins. This was especially true in 1983 when we made the Cinderella run to the National Basketball Championship. The students took the old, ratty 1960’s era furniture from around campus and set it on fire in various places around campus including Hillsborough Street which melted from the heat. They also stripped a beer truck.
    During State’s run to the national championship in 1974 following the semi-final game at Reynolds where David Thompson hit his head, state students were streaking like the rest of the nation. If you were among the “lucky” few that came across the scene not too far from Reynolds you got to witness a truly memorable sight. A goodly portion, names will be withheld to protect the guilty, of the football team had placed a ladder up to the second floor window of one of the old dorms with a spotlight on it. Each of the players stripped, climbed the ladder and turned to the appreciation of the crowd below before entering the window. A couple of players rode up sans clothes on a motorcycle to join their comrades.
    We may not have been as politically active as our neighbors to the west, but no one can say the students have not been active with their egg drop contests, river raft contests, support for our team, etc. Personally I think that too much political engagement can create an atmosphere of tension, intimidation and divisiveness. Perhaps it has helped to have a strong and healthy ROTC presence on campus with professors and students that have served in the military. The ROTC offices are still located in Reynolds today. We are one of the few, maybe only, schools that have our own fly over team for every single home football game. It is a thrilling sight.
    Two of my biggest regrets today are to see our major sports programs marginalized by a leadership team that does not seem to put a priority on winning and a strategic plan that emphasizes increasing out of state enrollment to the maximum allowed by law and therefore turning away really good students of North Carolina residents. I don’t think either is good for State, its students, alumni or the future of the state.

WELCOME! “Chancellor Chihuahua” is one of those BL Nicknames that require no explanation. “Prince Tassel Loafer” … “Trainwreck” Fennebresque … “The Great Unpleasantness” and numerous others more so.
      Certainly NCState has always had “College students doing goofy crap that college students do” from panty raids to VW Bug stuffing to “streaking”. The concept of “snowflakes” does not mean “protesting per se” but rather fragile sensitivities and requiring “safe places” to hide from reality. The conclusion in this column / comments is that a STEM school does not breed such immaturity as much as a Lib Arts School does.
      To your last paragraph… you see various references in the comments to a “Bob Kennel”. He is by his own admission THE Only Voice That Matters on All Matters NC State Univ (and pretty much everything else too). BK will take issue with your two concerns about NC State. Consider that a badge of honor. 🙂
      I encourage you to check out the 1900+ Incredibly Insightful Commentaries.

• ultraviolet Reply

When I was at ECU streaking became epidemic as it had at schools all across the country. It got to be a competitive thing. If you had heard UNC had 100 streakers last night then we had to have 200 at our group event. The Greenville/ECU police finally had enough and announced that anyone arrested streaking would be taken to jail naked and spend the night. That pretty much ended that fad. I did enjoy that much better than the old panty raids.

Back to the original topic, if you haven’t watched, Last Man Standing on ABC had an episode called Snowflakes addressing this very issue. I really enjoy that show, but that one took a lot of courage to produce and broadcast.

I love LMS …. Tim Allen is big enough in the TV business to “do it his way”. I’m sure he is much hated by many out there.

• Myowngrandpaw Reply

Prior to ’75 it was too difficult to have a sit-in with a slide rule attached to your belt. Or carrying your computer program in two two foot long boxes. Also the ratio of men to women was 12 to 1. So meeting hip hugger bell bottoms and halter tops at a sit-in was not likely either.
    So State students never built much of a tradition for sit-ins. So the Vietnam anti-war hayday was left to liberal arts schools.

All valid points.

• thailand Reply

It’s just about midnight in Pattaya, and I’m preparing for the long-haul back to Portland to visit the kid and family. I thought I would weigh in.
        __________________________________________________________________________________
        That photo of the brickyard takes me back to a day in May of ’70 when I was at State when bullets flew at Kent State.
        Coach Sloan told us to stay away from the protests, but that warning wasn’t even a speed bump for me, so I found myself spending an evening sleeping against the spreading oak you can just make out on the raised grassy island in the background of your photo, among a mass of students drawn together in youthful outrage. In the morning Presidents Tommy Bello (Lou’s boy) of UNC and Kathy Sterling of State took to the podium calling for a peaceful march, and a calm protest, one bearded hipster calling for a peaceful but militant protest, whatever that meant.
        Not sure whether I was drawn in by the cause or the free pass on finals offered by the university for those that signed up to canvass for peace, or maybe that little brown-eyed beauty with the red bandana and a peace sign on her cheek.
        Wondered later if Coach Sloan saw that photo in the Technician with me sitting under that tree with the “brown-eyed girl with the red bandana.” I hope so. 🙂
        _______________________________________________________________________________
        Well-organized and peaceful. And the brown-eyed girl ended up marrying some MBA guy from Duke. Alas 🙁
        Off to Portland 🙂
        thailand

My only comparable was the night after my HS graduation there was a “da Klan” rally on the outskirts of Kinston. Of course my BFF and I had to check it out… Grand Dragon Robert Shelton spoke very “eloquently” (??) – I don’t recall if they burned a cross or not – they wore the pointy hats but were not masked. I do recall remarking to my BFF “these sumbitches are NUTZ”. … In the ensuing decades I have used that description on numerous occasions for a variety of individuals and causes.

• TheCowdog Reply

LOL, Thai. See Angie’s post above and imagine a much, more, compromising photo, landing on Willis Casey’s desk.

BL knows the tale, if he remembers.

I assume its CowDog doing a Full Monty thru The Brickyard…. 🙂

• thailand

“Those were the days my friend…” 🙂

Have there been any snowflakes protesting the water shortage in Chapel Hill?

Since “it’s obviously Trump’s fault” I would assume so.

• Edward White Reply

I have to say I mostly don’t care for your columns, BobLee. But you got this one right.

Your “don’t care for” might have to do with my strong opinion re: TGU; but it could also be any number of valid reasons. After 1900 columns giving opinions on controversial subjects, let me assure you you are definitely not alone.
      Curious why you would read this one… but glad you did. 🙂

• Edward White Reply

It’s a character flaw; I majored in journalism.

So did my wife and daughter (Missouri). If anyone EVER called me “a journalist” I’d …. not sure what I’d do since it’s never happened. Just a happy-go-lucky “wise guy with a website”

• Robert Kennel Reply

BLAP, maybe you did make me up, but you need to be more sure of your alternate facts. Nuclear Engineering with BS in ’58, MS in ’60 then USAF. Not really that political until retiring back to NC and watching the Legislature and weak Governor butcher my home state.
    Chancellor Woodson is an outstanding leader who balances his politics or he wouldn’t have done so well with the NC Legislature over the past 6 years. And NC State has plenty of what you decide as “snowflakes” but we call them “Wheaties”. Go Pack !!

No clue what “alternate fact” I was off on. I said you graduated with honors in “engineering” which you have confirmed. Methinks you just wanted to show off that you are up-to-speed on all the HateTrump buzzwords.
      The mind reels who your “we” refers to ???
      Twenty years ago the NCGA was under the iron fist of Basnight / Black Gang. So THAT was who was destroying your beloved state ???

• JHR Reply

Bob Kennel is a babbling idiot.

OUCH! I prefer “…is a hoot”. A “hoot” is the most eccentric form of “coot” i.e. Bob Kennel is “a very hooty coot”. A reader forum without its resident “hooty coot” would be like pasta without garlic. No “spicyness”… no “kick”. If for any reason – heaven forbid – BK would go away, I would post faux-Kennels. Trust me. I can do “Kennels” much better than the original. 🙂

One could say that the concerns of doing Nuclear Experimentation dressed in Wrangler Coveralls can take its tolls. I offer the following example.
      James Earl Carter, Ex President, was also a “Nuclear” type of guy. It has, I think, been wrongly reported that he was a Nuclear Engineer, like our beloved BK. However, I read some historical articles that correct that. He was a PSAM (Physical Sciences and Applied Mathematics). He were a Nuclear Physicist. I had some friends that were Nuclear PSAM’s. They told me that they could understand the “concepts and physics” of the atom, nuclear masses, Renkins, whatever….but they lacked the mechanical aptitude to understand the “Engineering” Courses….which, I always thought, meant “Common Sense”.
      If you compare Old “Coots” (and I may be one….), then Jimmy Carter and Bobby Kennel, may have irradiated their brains once to many times and missed the decimal point where they were exposed to Mega Renkins……and NOT Milli. That’s my theory….

Not being “amphibious” it’s all Greek to me. The Jimmy Carter / BK combo does make sense although BK and Brother Billy might be more apt. 🙂

Maybe BK can enlighten us about New Bern’s own Buzzy Stubbs. Did he plead to a lesser charge than the felony to protect Bev or himself, or both? Did he lose the urge to become a travel agent? If nothing else Buzzy the Republican proved flexible, dare I say amphibious. I do agree that Perdue, Easley, and McCrory were weak governors. ORC ain’t setting the world on fire either.

Democratic legislators in Congress are patting themselves on the back for obstructing confirmation hearings for Trump’s Cabinet. Meanwhile ORC and friends are opposed to having the NCGA confirm his appointees. Irony is ironic.

I realize BK probably won’t see this late comment but perhaps BobLee or AP can ask him later. 😏

BK is a sneaky rascal when it comes to what he sees and when. He tends to simply ignore ticklish questions as re: the controversial actions of “his people”. Your question re: New Bernian Stubbs & Dumplin Perdue may fall into that category.

• Richard.E Reply

Question: Didn’t I read somewhere, maybe one of your columns / comments, that Bob Kennel has an engineering degree from NCSU. If that is true and “engineers tend to be Conservative” how does explain his political views?

Don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned it; but, yes, I understand that Bob Kennel graduated “with honors” in Engineering at NCSU in the mid 50s. Not sure which engineering specialty but it was “a hard one” and he practiced it for some years and, as you can imagine, did some quite incredible stuff. His insistence that he was directly involved with the invention of both “fire” and “the wheel” has yet to be collaborated by a credible source other than BK.
      As to how he became such a liberal zealot… my guess is, as a baseball catcher for many years, he took a LOT of foul tips off his mask. If anyone has a better theory, I’m open to it. 🙂

• Wolf Blizzard Reply

I have it third hand that BK was exposed to massive doses of radiation in the bomb bays of B-52s in the early sixties. He smoked cigars with Curtis LeMay and Fidel Castro. He also invented Dos Equis and was awarded a Nobel Prize in Bovine Scatology. His final break with reality occurred after Reagan defeated Carter. BK makes Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and Charles Bronson seem effiminate.

As for the lack of snowflakes on the brickyard, it’s quite ingenious actually. The PULSTAR reactor of the NCSU Burlington Nuclear Engineering Lab superheats the bricks year round to prevent the accumulation of snowflakes on campus. Those snowflakes don’t have a chance in hades except for the occasional scheduled downtime for maintenance.

FINALLY. A solution that makes sense. Thanks. 🙂

Be careful please. If any snowflakes read “foul tips” it could be misconstrued as a trigger word. Your call.

Have to run that risk. 🙂

• OldAlphaWolf Reply

This is easy. Us engineer/STEM types, are prisoners of numbers. We can do the math. Those who lean toward this mindset, tend to be objective and logically oriented i.e. conservative. Rules govern what we do. Therefore we have an inherent respect for systems and rules.

Us conservatives strive to achieve a system that is “fair” to all it’s participants. If the system is fair, the the results are fair. If someone suffers from a fair system, then it’s unfortunate, but no the fault of the system. . To a liberal, if anyone is hurt by the fair system then it is the system’s fault, not the participant, and the “fair” system must be changed. This is how we get affirmative action, ADA, HB2, no-score kid’s sports, ad infinitum. The founding fathers strived to give us a fair system for our country. I think they achieved it brilliantly.

Well said Mr Engineer!
      If an Engineer makes a mistake… he get sued, likely loses his license and livelihood… if he avoids mistakes thru very careful work – he can be very successful.
      If a liberal Gender Studies major makes a mistake… he/she blames it on Trump or FoxNews, goes to this week’s protest and yells profanities.
      If one can’t decide which of those routes to take… they have already taken it.

• Mr. Wizard Reply

If an Engineer makes a mistake, the airplane crashes. The bridge collapses. The train jumps the track. The asthma rescue inhaler fails. Pretty serious stuff. I was graduated in Mechanical Engineering from NC State University. Unlike lib-arts, there was a constant attempt to “weed out” the “not quite sharp enough” students until the latter part of my Junior year; a famous statistic at one time was 2 out of 3 don’t make it. BTW, I know at one time; not sure if it’s still true, but outside of the military academies, only Texas A&M graduated more military officers than NC State University. Gen. Hugh Shelton, Gen. Odierno (Nuclear Engineering) and many others are distinguished alums.

All of that is true PERIOD.
          We should not use sight that not all UNCCH graduates are vacuous wastrels. There have always been many fine successful people coming from “over there” BUT the tendency in recent years is to “throw out that proud institution with the bath water”. IMO it is rapidly becoming pretty much what it’s most cynical rivals have long said it was/is. That it now prides itself as a “snowflake sanctuary” supports that transition.

• CPR Reply

Bingo!

• Downeast.Heel Reply

Easy one – State has majors that lead to real jobs doing real work. While some Carolina degrees do that as well, Chapel Hill competes with Berkeley for the most (fill in the blank) Studies majors. After all, Chapel Hill helped put the “liberal” in liberal arts.
    Damn, and I’m a Carolina grad saying that….albeit it one with a real degree.
    Down East Heel

Versions of that line of reasoning seems to be the consensus. It certainly gets my vote.

• Jay Reply

During my days studying engineering up in Blacksburg, I can tell you we were 95% engaged trying to survive a meat grinder of a curriculum designed to fail 67% of us. There was some time for beer and fresh air on the weekends but none for political issues – and those days America had a few: Among them double digit mortgage rates, an oil embargo, and the Iran hostage crisis. Snowflakes would have dropped out of engineering studies after the first lecture.

STEM schools and snowflakes don’t seem to get along very well ….

• Jack.n.Hickory Reply

I wonder if Mr Kennel might share his opinions re: yesterday incident at Cal-Berkeley.

I won’t presume to speak for BK. Usually on such “ticklish” matters he either feigns ignorance or “goes silent”. His opinions are certainly “enjoyed” here.

• TheCowdog Reply

Out of the lounge. The Black Flag Anarchists have no association, but for anyone other than themselves.

Who backs them may be quite debatable.
        Obviously, Snowflakes cannot.

…So, whom?

Whom indeed.

I am really, much of the time, a Dr. Woodson fan. YES, he seems a bit left of center. BUT, if you express a dissenting opinion or ask a question, in a professional manner, he responds immediately. We discussed, via email, his “Snowflake Hostel in the Student Union” message and he really seemed to understand and did not defend his decision with Holier and Smarter Than Thou comments. We have also discussed the “Band Kneeling Thingie” and he and our Director came up with a policy that respects the long standing relationship of NCSU and the Military and also lets members “express their pointy headed beliefs”. We only had TWO kneel at one game and THAT never happened again.
    It is VERY difficult to get a good crowd shot of “scores” and make it look like a Cecil B. DeMille epic. Besides, the WRAL Crew likes to eat on Franklin Street and Bill Leslie gives them Free CD’s to distribute over there….with a TIME stamp.
    I do WONDER if Mrs. Folt is as “easy to contact and discuss” as Dr. Woodson is. There is also a rumor that her family owns a large block of “The Yankee Candle Company” and that they have a lock or a NON-Compete arrangement with UNC so that when there is a need, they drop ship (Amazon Drones) in the candles. The candles are paid for by the same funds that are the “Un Committed and Discretionary” funds that paid the millions to the PR firm and that Wainstein guy.
    I DO know ONE OTHER THEORY….the real reason there are NO Snowflakes, statistically speaking, on the NCSU Campus is that there is a secret RFI and EMF transmitter in the WRAL Building and that the Microwave Link tower (lighted at Christmas) is actually sending out “mind warping signals”. If I told you, as an EX WRAL Employee who has a top secret security clearance, any more about it’s existence and funding, I would have to join a witness protection program. It DOES date back to the FIRST project that young, Dookie Engineer, Jimmy G had when his granddaddy said…”Find that boy a place…”. He promptly began an OUTSOURCING program to reduce the labor force and replace it with automation. That fiasco resulted in a complete shutdown of the station with the LAST VIDEO Slide…”The Preceeding was brought to you by the Baptist State Convention”. THIS IS A TRUE STORY….however, the documents pertaining to what GD AJ and JH did after that was sent to DC and LBJ put them in the 100 YR SEALED Kennedy files….as time goes by, only a FEW of us know the REAL truth…

Randy’s quite silly misguided politics aside, he has always shown very capable “leadership skills” which IMO is very rare in academia. Certainly lacking 26 miles to the west. … Goodmon has become a demented old coot… it happens.

• Former96Heel Reply

News media are drawn to Chapel Hill like a moth to light. For most media in this state, it is a literal coming home. Never a week went by in my 4 years without some sort of cause celebre being the center of attention. In my day, it was mostly the Black Student Center, or something the 1.4% of students were fighting for. Maybe a housekeeper pay raise, or demanding a statue go up or come down. The attention usually revolved around a solid “score” of people, but it drew many magnitude more in media coming back to their roots to file sizzling reports of students running the roost.
    Their pilgrimage included the requisite visit to pay homage to Chuck Stone, by far a larger institution than any Well or stadium, or even DES for that ilk.

A wise local told me when I arrived, if you open your mind up far enough, it eventually falls out. The collective mind in CH fell out somewhere in the 60’s, and there is no return to sanity there. A snowflake in Raleigh? Sure, but for the journalists, it would be akin to a Tar Hell sports fan admitting that the Pack has a better football program than the Heels. I firmly believe holding UNC to the Berkeley of the East standard is the equal of “your buddy Art” holding the image of DES in the nativity and continuing the Carolina Way narrative.. The state’s journalists will do whatever it takes to continue the line, no matter how true it is.

If one looked at the business and science students in CH, I am guessing their collective politics are probably close to NCSU. Unfortunately, 80%+ study a “study”, education, communication, or polysci.

Agreed. I once got a nice complement from Chuck Stone after a Rotary gig. …. high % of UNCers share politics with NCSUers …. 😜

• Former96Heel Reply

This got me wandering down memory lane, thinking about the just flat out CooCoo for Cocoa puff faculty I ran into years ago. One year, an econ prof literally left class several weeks into the semester because the Soviet Union was crumbling and they needed an economic adviser. Maybe it was one of the first no-show classes, but I do not remember any athletes in it. We had to write a paper, and got a pass on attending for the rest of the year.

I just looked it up, and this guy is still on the faculty. He even has the Lenin beard thing going. He may have been a card carrying Commie, but his profile says he is writing 4 books, one of them a textbook. He certainly knows how to secure wealth by stealing money via student loans in the old textbook racket.

Sending a child to UNC, with the current admin, is such a bad idea in 2017. It’s not quite sending your daughter to be a student manager of the Baylor football team, but it is a horrible idea still.

If I did that Baylor line I’d get “letters”…. YOWSA!
          I agree re: UNC but remember 95% of students are there for “the college life” and could care less about Chihuahua’s crap. Thats one of my points, if a kid is in a worthwhile major he can usually avoid the whackadoddle profs and, if he does get one, just feed the fool back his BS, take the “A” and move along. The whole Franklin St scene thing is cool for an 18-20 y/o. The campus IS pretty. 🙂

• Doug

“If a kid is in a worthwhile major he can usually avoid the whackadoddle profs and, if he does get one, just feed the fool back his BS, take the “A” and move along.” Precisely what I told my kids. One of them went off the reservation in a Sociology class and barely got a C but felt better about it. In the long run he’s better off.

BTW, when scores (20-40) protest at UNC that means ~29,900+ did not. Same as 1K Triangle residents showing up to protest at RDU. 1.2 million did not protest as you pointed out recently. Alternative facts do matter. When the media makes these claims we need to hammer their asses. Keep Pounding. Let others keep pouting.

I have hammered Jim Goodmon’s butt worse over the past five years than his dorm mates at Duke ever did back in the early 60s. I liked that “1.2 Million Did NOT Protest”. I must do that sort of stuff some more.

• Old MacDonald Reply

I was at State in Lee Dorm in 1990 … on election night when the networks called Helms as the winner of the Senate race, a huge cheer went up as if we had just hit a buzzer-beater to win a big game.

I’m sure your old adversary BK remembers that night quite differently. BK is a HUGE Jim Hunt fan … HUGE. 😛

• Chip Reply

Unfortunately, Chancellor Randy has let us down at least with regard to the precious snowflakes. He put out a letter soon after the election soothing the little previous ones and opening a safe room with bottled water and cookies. This week he put out a letter with the feel good pablum of how NCSU values immigrants and how troubling the latest trumpian schemes have been. All much to the chagrin of State alums. Thoughts were pretty much – “we expect this crap in Chapel Hill but not Raleigh!”

My first reaction is Kennel has “gotten to” Randy. That has always been a possibility.

• Chip Reply

Don’t understand why Mr Kennel has such pull with the university (according to him). I realize he was born in a manger at Tyron palace, lettered in every sport at state while majoring in every engineering program, advisor to every chancellor since Caldwell and Lee Fowler while being chief of the Air Force, BUT it’s not like he’s Wendell Murphy or Dr Goodnight.

Don’t tell him that. I do an impression of Chanc Randy and/or Bobby Purcell or Frau Yow seeing an incoming call from BK. Think McCauley Culkin in Home Alone! 🙂

• ncsu1987 Reply

LOL, you’ve set the table, I popping some corn…

My 2 cents worth:
    I think your final paragraph succinctly evinces the primary factors at work here. Before some of your more strident readers eviscerate me, I’m taking your suggestions under the assumption that they are generalizations, and not absolutes. Under those rules, I believe all of your bullet points apply.

But (and here we may disagree) I believe the overriding factor is leadership. Students (wherever they are) with spare time on their hands, will do and say whatever they can get away with (back to your first three “gets”). In determining what they can get away with, they look to prior responses from leadership. The academic and administrative “leadership” at UNCCH has proven time and again that they will tolerate the snowflakes. I have no direct evidence that they encourage same, but it wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t actually know Mr. Woodson’s politics, which in my mind is a good thing – it means he doesn’t let it affect his leadership, at least not to the degree that it comes to my attention.

I think your “nose to the grindstone” observation also has legs. As an instructor, consequences are not always equivalent. If I have loose requirements in AfAm, my students may not fully understand historical context. If I have loose requirements in civil engineering, bridges falls down and people die. Again, this is general, and I acknowledge that there are exceptions both ways.

Love your five collegiate “gets”, btw. The american college experience in five words. I’m old, and my education pre-dated grade inflation and luxury dorms. From the time that I was about 12 years old, I was focused on the last two of your “gets”, meaning that I experienced #3 extremely minimally, #1 only slightly more, and #2 FAR less that I wanted. But those long hours sitting at my tiny dorm room desk with my nose to the grindstone built the foundation that I stand on today. Wouldn’t trade it for (almost) anything. If snowflakes were around then, I probably wouldn’t have even known they existed. If I did, it would only have been for a momentary laugh with my friends: “Hey, get a load of the whiny tourists – they won’t be back next year!”

I smell the popcorn, so let me grab my bowl. Can’t wait to see the other takes. Touché, great fodder!

Thanks for the input. As to Chanc Randy’s political leanings I can assure you they are “to the Left”. One – otherwise BK would not love him so. Two – I recall him glowingly recalling meeting Barack Hussein Obama on Air Force One and what a memorable occasion it was. Three – he would never have been hired by Tom Ross or Erskine Bowles otherwise.
      I think your point about “engineering HAS TO BE EXACTLY RIGHT” or the building falls down IS VERY IMPORTANT. Most STEM disciplines “have to be 100% right”. Most Lib Arts disciplines are tied to “how does it make you feel”. One takes ones education a bit more seriously in the former than the latter… IMO.

• Mary.75 Reply

I seem to recall news reports of “student demonstrations” at NCSU over the years.

Without a doubt. That is one if the purposes for “The Brickyard”. But “recalling a few random reports over the years” versus weekly reports at other “area campuses” is the point here.
      Trust me… if there were 3-4 little snowflakes gathered at NCSU; Goodmon’s goons and N&O’s remaining 2-3 reporters would be all over it. They rush over to Chapel Hill with a caravan of satellite trucks if five snowflakes meet for coffee at The Pit. WRAL and N&O are desperate to report “A MASSiVE PUBLIC UPROAR”. Student demonstrations are even better for them than one of Barber’s thingies. Students interviews on-camera are totally bizarre babblings.

• Dajudge in Charlotte Reply

I wonder how many of the UNC snowflakes are paying for their education? If there are any, they are very few in number.

I have no idea. Are you referring to Mom & Dad and/or Gov’t loans or ….?

• Radio_Smuggles Reply

68 can explain. I bet he can shingle a roof, build a factory, a wall. or shoe a horse with the best of them. Paraphrasing what my UNC grad nephew said; ” at UNC I was programmed to present ideas, write papers and (in addition to your 5 Gets) join the Order of Gimghoul. My NCSU grad wife was trained to actually do stuff that matters.”

Awaiting wisdom from 68.

I’m sure ’68 will be gracing us soon. Kennel, as you can see, hopped on this one licketty split. ’68 will come at it from a slightly right-of-center POV than Ol’ BK.

Technically, it is my friend, the talented musician that can “shingle a roof”. I spent way too many days on industrial roofs watching folks do that. In fact, if you had yelled, Immigracion, then the roof would have been bare….
      Can’t shoe a horse, but I did help move equipment and processes that MADE the Horseshoes. Likewise I have built two factories and built several walls and renovated buildings and demolished them. Really wanted to implode one and suggested that to Dr. Woodson.
      I was busy cleaning the paste off the walls of my DW’s latest….We do NOT need Wallpaper in the upstairs potty….so duty called. See the NEW POST above.

ICE and hielo have different meanings in Spanish especially for illegal immigrates.

Terrorist versus Freedom Fighter…

• 58WolfKennel Reply

“Despite your initial disclaimer, this is more AP than BL and uses AP’s assumptions about life. Nevertheless, you do get the simple fact (not an alternative one) that NC State has a more critical role for the STEM needs of society without totally losing the individual need for personal social graces. The leadership role of Chancellor Woodson cannot be overstated (and not just in comparison with Chancellor Folt).
    Also, I wouldn’t underestimate the “snowflake” revolution going on around the country. Despite the negative and weak connotation of the term, there are some human rights issues that have a more rugged constitution.
    In any case, we NC State Wuff’s do have a slightly broader view of life than some give us credit for. We come out of the old “AVIS” view of just trying harder :>))”

By Golly, that sure didn’t take long. This had been up less than 20 minutes and Ol’ Bre’r Kennel was on it “like a hungry crow on a junebug”. I was sure it would take at least 45 minutes but what do I know.
      Whether it is AP or BL, so,long as it sticks in your narly old craw and riles you up, society is served. 🙂
      As you train your dear little snowflakes in all that “revolution” stuff. Could you devote a session on cleaning up their messes? When municipalities have to expend time, $$$, resources picking up the trash and garbage from your little obscene huff’n puffs it tends to overshadow whatever their purpose du jour might have been. Just a suggestion BK. You know this stuff better than I do I’m sure. …. oh, and the obscenities – I know you are NOT a profane man at all BK. How come “you people” ARE so “pottymouthed”. Can you tell us why that?
      Who specifically does NOT give “you Wuffs” credit for a broad perspective on life? Name some names BK. Everyone I know does. Do you mean UNC Board Monkeys? They don’t count… do they to you?

• RFY Reply

If Bob Kennel did not exist, you would have to make him up.

How do you know that’s NOT the case? I’ll never tell. 🙂

• NCSU68Grad

Do you REALLY want me to use up bandwidth to verify that BK is real.

Don’t think you sent AD Yow 5 Grand for a Reynolds tile to create your liberal, NCSU Graduate, foil. But if you did…

He did call me to try to convert me and join his warped lot. Not a bad guy, once you get past his political deficiency.

The CIA, NSA and Homeland have had a joint task force tracking BK for YEARS. Their accumulated data file would choke a horse. He is classified as “a shifty old coot”! 🙂

• Jerry.N.Wilm Reply

Hot Diggity Dawg … as you might say BL…. The comments for this one oughta be A HUMDINGER !!

You would think so Jerry. But over the years I’ve learned the ones I think will KABOOM don’t always… and the quick little “throw-aways” GO VIRAL.
      I like HUMDINGERS of course, so we shall see what develops.