“…. Will Be Remembered Forever!”

July07/ 2016

….. will be Remembered FOREVER.

“It” is not likely to happen to 99% of us other than within our own micro-universes…. But “it” could. “It” being to be the central figure in an event within a moment that …. will be Remembered Forever.

NOTE:  This essay will stay well under the historical radar of Leonidas as his 300 Spartans at Thermopylae …. D-Day…. or Armstrong’sFreeseHR “one small step for Man….”.

Last night Cardinals’ play-by-play announcer Dan McLaughlin used that line for the umpteenth replay of David Freese’s 2011 walk-off HR in Game 6 of The WorldSeries. Freese is now with the Pirates who are visiting St Louis.

Befitting the reputation of St Louis Cardinal fans…. regardless of what uniform he wears, David Freese will ALWAYS be a Favorite Son. He was born/raised in St Louis and was the central figure in a mega-dramatic moment that….. will be Remembered FOREVER.

As soon as I heard that phrase I started thinking of other Frozen Moments primarily in sports that at least to a fan base if not to fans everywhere who can see and appreciate beyond the tip of their blindly partisan noses…. will be remembered FOREVER.

Here’s my list compiled in about 30 minutes using Google only to confirm dates. I’m not good at remembering exact years. I’ve lived too many of them.

Yes, I appreciate that “your list is better because…. it is your list”. But this is The Official Partial List of BobLeeSays because…. this is my website.

My criteria is “A Moment…. A Play” not The Greatest Game…. not The Career of…. The central figure could be a star or an unknown and there had to be high drama surrounding The Moment.

I am also requiring that “it” have significance beyond simply another game between two rival teams that meant little or nothing to the world beyond.

For Example: Connor Barth’s final play 42 yd FG in 2004 to beat Miami on an October night in Kenan Stadium was certainly memorably dramatic to those in attendance but resonated noticeably less so to “the larger world beyond”.  Yes, UNCers, there is one.

Here goes in no particular order…. Keep in mind I came up with this list in 30 minutes which, IMO, is darn impressive.

OK, I am putting two Wolfpack moments first to get those out of the way. Kinda like when you would get a new phone book (what’s “a phone book”?) and the first thing you do is look up your own name…. it’s all you really care about.

Lorenzo Charles’ Game-Winner vs Phi Slamma Jamma in 1983 in Albuquerque.

David Thompson’s Fall in Reynolds vs Pitt in 1974.

Bill Mazeroski’s Walk-Off HR in Game Seven of 1960 World Series vs Yankees

Doug Flutie’s Hail Mary to beat Miami in The Orange Bowl in 1984.

mary-lou-rettonMary Lou Retton Hitting “A Perfect Ten” on her vault to win Olympic Gold in 1984.

Christian Laettner’s turn-around from top of the key versus Kentucky in 1992

Bill Buckner’s Error in Game Six vs Mets in 1986

Francisco Cabrera’s single in the 9th to drive in Sid Bream to beat Barry Bonds’ Pirates and send Atlanta to their first World Series in 1992.

Auburn defeats Alabama on the 108 yard Missed FG in 2013. The Auburn player was Chris Davis but no one outside the state of Alabama remembers his name.

CarltonFiskWhit Merrifield’s 11the inning single gives South Carolina it’s first College World Series Championship in 2010.

Carlton Fisk’s “Wave it Fair” HR in Fenway versus Cincinnati in Game Six in 1975.

Kurt Gibson’s HR vs Oakland in 1988 WS.

NOTE: Buckner’s Error, Fisk’s HR, and Freese’s HR share a quite odd commonality. None of the three “won the World Series” but rather extended the series to a 7th game. You can win a bar bet with that fact.

Going waaaay back…. Enos “Country” Slaughter “scores from first on a single” to win Game 7 of the 1946 World Series.

Michael Jordan’s jumper vs Georgetown in 1982 is remembered because it secured Dean Smith’s first NC and introduced the basketball world to Jordan. It was NOT “a Walk-off Hail Mary” of course.

##

Debatably…. Do we include Marcus Paige’s dramatic 3 pointer vs Villanova that “almost” sent the NCAA Finals into OT?  Or does only Villanova’s “buzzer beater” make the list? Are the two shots forever linked?

UNC’s Walter Davis’ shot vs Duke in “8 points down with 17 seconds to play” in 1974 was certainly a BFD “amid the pines” but less so elsewhere.

Likewise “Gio’s Punt Return” and “T.A.’s Knee” were certainly dramatic moments but lack significance beyond the competing teams. Yes, there actually IS a world beyond Triangle-area Rivalries.

dalecrash##

Dale Earnhardt’s Final Lap Fatal Crash at Daytona in 2001

Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas in Nov 1963. I include Ruby shooting Oswald rather than Oswald shooting JFK because we all saw that LIVE.

For Golf, I choose Larry Mize’s chip in on #11 @ Augusta to defeat Greg Norman in a sudden-death playoff in 1987. I chose that over Nicklaus’ win a year earlier because Mize’s was “a moment…. A singular play”.

I almost included Willis Reed’s dramatic arrival on the MSG court in Game Seven in 1970 versus The Lakers which was “a goosebump moment” in NBA History.

PlanetApesSure, one can argue every “Walk-off” …. “Hail Mary” …. “Buzzer-beater” in any sports event merits being on the list and to rabid partisans they all do. Whoever “did it” earned a permanent place in the memory of those who saw it…. and cared about it.

A personal favorite of mine, in a category all it’s own is….. The Final Scene in Planet of The Apes.   YIKES!

Sure, this list is Baby Boomer-loaded as is most everything included on this site.

Feel free to add “moments” or question my choices.   Let me have your “How could you leave out _______?”

Change Is Coming ……

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

27 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Charlotte Wuffie
Charlotte Wuffie

Love your list BL! I would have to include the Olympic team’s Miracle on Ice goal as well as Montana to Dwight Clark pass to beat the Cowboys on my list.

Wildatheart
Wildatheart

You let out the biggest one of all. Not sports related but Neil Armstrong’s “One small step for man”. Sitting on my parent’s back porch watching on a black and white TV.

HokieJay
HokieJay

Totally agree on the Cabrera/Bream moment to defeat the Pirates. Sports Illustrated aptly named the moment “The Cruelest Loss” in its cover page story. I still think that applies today. Everyone knew the Pirates, financially unable to resign its immensely talented free agents, would fade to mediocrity. The finality of that loss was IMMENSE, heart breaking, whether one was a Pirate fan or not.

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Penn State 9, State 6, Nov. 10, 1979: PSU was 4th and 24….when they threw a 36 YD pass. That set up a winning field goal (almost 60 Yds) that bounced and rattled around. Was there on the long gone bridge from the fieldhouse to the West steps with my 9 YO son. He STILL recalls it. . NC State 13, North Carolina 7, Sept. 16, 1967: On Friday, Chuck (the CHEST) Amato bought a case of white shoe polish from Man-Mur Shoe Shop and convinced his defensive teammates to paint their shoes WHITE. (No info on whether he had… Read more »

TheCowdog
TheCowdog

Yes, ” …will be remembered forever.”

1982 – Georgetown’s Fred Brown, hands James Worthy the ball with 12 ticks on the clock.
1991- “Wide Right!” Poor Scott Norwood.
1993- Chris Webber calls timeout with 10 seconds on the clock. Oopsie.

Fame/Infamy

bigalsouth
bigalsouth

The saddest/funniest single play in ACC basketball was when UNC’s Dudley Bradley stole the ball from Clyde Austin at NC State on 1/17/79. The faces of the spectators were priceless. Jubilation morphs to utter despair in seconds . . .

Dr Wire
Reply to  BobLee

Senior year, section 22 in a corner of Reynolds seating with a friend since 8th grade from “dear ol Union High (Sampson County). Being there for the tremendous 2nd half come back and the basic basketball error by Clyde is part of why you go to see it live. Was at the TA Knee game, but nothing like the Austin error. Have history of turning TV on right before big events such as Dale into the Daytona wall of concrete, the Gibson homer and the Doug F Hail Mary. The difference in the experience is why I buy tickets today… Read more »

Dr Wire
Reply to  BobLee

I use “TV wannabe” to describe the fan who talks (posts?) a good game about his team or his sport, but does not walk the talk when it comes to attending an event. I understand the convenience and cost advantages and appreciate those who sit at home in front of a TV for an event, but the commitment is MIA to the team or sport someone speaks passionately about Which is a trait of many of a board monkey. It is also part of the reason event attendance is dwindling across the spectrum of sports, especially with the Millenials. And… Read more »

Caesar
Caesar

BobLee,

That’s just crazy human talk that “Yes, there actually IS a world beyond Triangle-area Rivalries”.

Moses kneeling in the sand staring at Lady Liberty is a winner! But we all know that we must all Hail Caesar and succumb to the simian rule of man! Who knew a Frenchie novel would get such mileage! We most certainly are a Monkey Planet in 2016 … if not completely batshit crazy in this Presidential Campaign cycle.

Caesar
Caesar
Reply to  Caesar

War for the Planet of the Apes – coming in 2017

… begins with a Pack of Wolves encircling the Old Well and howling as the South Buiding burns to the ground. Jesse Helms makes a cameo appearance as a carpenter frantically trying to build a fence around Chapel Hill.

Doug
Doug

Now why did you have to go mention that Kick-Six Auburn-Alabama game? I was watching TV and slicing up some scallions for oyster stew and sliced off the tip of my index finger when Auburn scored. Unlike another Kinstonian, I am not amphibious.

58WolfKennel
58WolfKennel

“BL, you have been very prolific over the past week or so, and my family has been at Kennel’s Beach in a totally lazy mode.
Your lifetime memories are true. I can go back one step to hearing Bobby Thompson’s walk off homerun off Ralph Branca to win the pennant for the Giants over the Dodgers.
Last week met a niece of Enos Slaughter who was surprised that I knew why he was famous.
I’ll have to go back to the last three blogs to see if I have any thoughts worth sharing.

fayettewuf
fayettewuf

Babe Ruth’s called shot. Hubbell striking out Ruth, Gehrig, Fox, Cronin and Simmons in a row in the ’34 All-Star game. Jackie Robinson’s steal of home in the World Series.
All of these come to mind, the first maybe an imaginary feat. Actually the third was imaginary in Yogi Berra’s mind, since Yogi thought he was out.

fayettewuf
fayettewuf
Reply to  BobLee

No doubt. “the shot heard round the world’ according to the New York press. Enos Slaughter was before my time. From what I have read, the first to home was evidently cancelled by his allegedly spiking Jackie Robinson intentionally and kept him out of the Hall of Fame. Ty Cobb spiked probably every second baseman and shortstop in the American League and he was a first ballot inductee.

fayettewuf
fayettewuf
Reply to  fayettewuf

Enos was elected by the veterans committee. My mistake. His numbers should have gotten him sooner.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x