Remembering “The Boys From Post 9”

Baseball
June27/ 2016

A Golden Oldie From 2006.… with The Kids From Coastal “living their dream” in Omaha…. lets remember The Boys From Post 9 ….

… If you were watching TV on Sunday night you saw the “wide world of sports” from “the agony of Phil’s defeat” to “the thrill of victory” in UNCs improbable shutout of Clemson.  BobLee has some thoughts on Phil but better thoughts on baseball. … those “Moochies” in Omaha got me to thinking about another bunch of Tar Heel baseballers from another era … “The Boys From Post 9”

now … where were we.

I’ve been around championship teams in football, basketball and baseball and camaraderie is part of any super successful team. But baseball is “just different”.  Maybe it’s the long season, maybe it’s the dugout, maybe it’s the dramatic moments and the pace of the game.  One superstar can carry a team so far kids-baseball-hugbut at some point his teammates have to chip in.  Over a championship season nearbout everyone has his moment and those moments create lifelong memories.  Baseball is all about “memories and moments”.  I guess that’s why I like it the best.

You folks know how yours truly is stuck in a 60s time warp.  An era just before sports at every level lost its innocence and became either “business” or a socio-cultural political experiment.   I get asked a lot how come I remember so much from those days … (1) I never “did drugs” and (2) I took good mental notes … knowing someday I would be an Internet Legend with a demanding audience with unrealistic expectations.

Carolina in the mid 60s had two sports “contingents” … The first, Danny Talbott led a bunch of his Rocky Mount footballers to Chapel Hill along with their coach Chris Carpenter.  They had dominated NC 4-A high school sports and were expected to bring such success to Kenan Stadium.  It didn’t quite happen.

The 2nd contingent were “The Boys From Post 9”.  American Legion Post 9 in Charlotte finished 2nd in America in 1964.  In 1965 they won the American Legion “Little World Series”.  They had a convertible parade down Trade & Tryon in downtown Charlotte.  The heart of that team came to Chapel Hill in ’65 and ’66.

Try this … go to a Charlotte Knights game down in Rock Hill and find a grizzled older fan in his 60s-70s probably keeping score on his souvenir scorecard.  Ask him “who is the best pitcher there’s ever been around these parts?”  He won’t even have to stroke his chin to think … “why that’d be Garry Hill, with David Lemonds a close second, … and Skippy Hull caught both of’em.”  It’s been almost 50 years … and the legend of “The Boys From Post 9” is in no danger of fading away.

It was “Garry Hill’s team” because he was “The Natural”.  Like colts on a thoroughbred farm … you know early which ones will be running for the roses and which will be running stakes races at Hialeah.  Garry Hill was a thoroughbred sure enough.  If he gave up a TOTAL of dozen hits from the time he was 9 thru 20, nobody can remember the last 6 of’em.

Garry was THAT GOOD!  He was better than THAT GOOD!  He was “the best there’s ever been around here.” Around Charlotte granddads brag to their grandsons about “the loud foul ball I once hit off Garry Hill.”

But ask Garry about those days (and I did for an hour on Monday) and he talks about  his brother Eddie and Skippy and the Lemonds brothers Ronnie and David and Robert Rhoades and John Richards and Neal Wester and Coach Jack Lemonds (Ronnie and David’s daddy).  And he talks about the guys on those other teams on all those sandlots and recreation league fields … Bruce Bolick and Charlie “Fox” Thomas and John Rudisell and John Yancey up in Newton.

His brother Eddie could hit.  Wake up Eddie Hill at 3 in the morning and he could hit “frozen ropes” in his pajamas.  If anybody ever did hit a fair ball off either Garry or David, Ronnie Lemonds was a vacuum cleaner down at 3rd.  And Skippy Hull … the quintessential “fireplug” behind the plate.  Garry threw Nolan Ryan level hard heat and Lemmonds had a Bert Blyleven curve ball and Skippy set the target.  Clair Bee woulda loved these guys.

This is a story about these boys at Chapel Hill but a quick story about Post 9.  As noted, they came in second in the nation in ’64 … Garry pitched a memorable pitcher’s duel with a kid from California named Fingers … Rollie Fingers.  The next year Post 9 won it all … with Garry and David each strking out 19.

“The Boys From Post 9” came to Carolina in the Fall of 1965.  Freshmen were not eligible for “varsity”.  Garry Hill went 6-0 for that Frosh team.  His ERA was 0.00.  Whoa there BobLee … a misprint?  No misprint … Garry Hill allowed zip, zero, nada earned runs in his UNC Freshman career.  He got a little sloppy as a sophomore.

I wrote one time about Don McCauley and Burly John as UNC footballers.  About how they were “the quiet ones” who laughed at others’ jokes and how they walked with that “rolling gait” that certain special athletes have.  And how that quiet demeanor changed to a warrior’s glare when they walked on the field.  Garry Hill had left UNC for the Atlanta Braves before Don and John moved into Ehringhaus but those three were “of a special breed”.  I knew’em … I remember’em … I’m glad I never “did drugs”.

The Spring of 1966 was the first year for what is now Boshamer Stadium.  Emerson Field was being swallowed up by Student Stores and such.  Memories of Ted Williams’ and Ken Willard’s tape-measure blasts would belong to historians (like my friend Frank Gay!).  Left field at “the new field” fell into a sinkhole so Garry and his buddies did practice some at old Emerson.

UNC Baseball was under the firm hand of “The Old Leaguer” Walt Rabb and his able and quite colorful assistants, Dallas Branch and Big Bill Lovingood.  Dallas was a Derm businessman who just loved baseball and his dear friend Walt Rabb.  Bill Lovingood was a professor in the P.E. Department and a certified “nut”.  He was a ham-fisted bear of a fella with a head the size of a basketball and a permanent twinkle in his eye.  If you ever met Bill Lovingood, you have “a Bill Lovingood story”.

If Hollywood wrote this story, it would end up in Omaha with Garry striking out the side and Walt Rabb anointing The Post 9 boys as “old leaguers”.  It didn’t happen quite that way.

I said Garry got sloppy his sophomore year.  He went 9-0 but his ERA “ballooned up” to 0.71 !!! which is still a UNC record.  That team had the aforementioned Danny Talbott at first base backed up by a hail fellow well met named Bill Estes.  As nice a guy as you’d ever meet, Bill always drove a newer-than-new Corvette.  “Newer-than-new because Bill’s Daddy was CEO of Chevrolet and sent Bill a fresh “vette right off the assembly line.

Clem Medley patrolled Center Field with Charlie Carr on one side and somebody else on the other.  The rest of the infield was Ronnie at 3rd, Bolick at SS and “The Fox” at 2nd.

Of course, Skippy Hull was behind the plate.  If somehow Walt Rabb coulda gotten David Lemonds up from the Frosh team they mighta had a strong enough rotation to hold their own against Bill Wilhelm’s Tigers and Sammy Esposito’s Wolfpack led by a lefty from Tarboro named Mike Caldwell and  Chris Cammack.  That 1967 Carolina team was “good” but not “good enough”.

In May of ’67, Garry signed with the Braves.  Again Hollywood would have Garry Hill in Fulton County Stadium sharing a club house with Aaron and Evans and Torre and Carty and Garr; but Hollywood isn’t reality.  A promising start in AA was followed by National Guard duty and then a dreaded rotator cuff injury.  “The best pitcher there’s ever been around here” moved to the outfield.  Garry Hill could hit too.  Alas, well before he was 27, Garry Hill was out of baseball.

Hollywood might have had Garry become a “has been”, maybe a sad alcoholic wandering around Charlotte with faded press clipping proclaiming “I used to be …”.  Hollywood loses again.  Garry transitioned to “the real world” and a successful business career and three fine sons … all of whom inherited some of their dad’s baseball skills.  After “retiring from business” he recently bought a baseball training center in Charlotte … OnDeck Baseball Academy … which he and his sons operate together.  Is that cool … or what!  Drop by their HQ in Pineville and tell’em you remember “the boys from Post 9”.

( David Lemonds was College Player of The Year in 1968 and #1 in the draft by the Cubs.  Like Garry, his pro career was cut short by injury.)

I asked Garry how it felt when he saw Rollie Fingers go into the Hall of Fame.  Not a single regret … no coulda, shoulda, wouldas … a “good life well led” with so many wonderful memories and so many good friends to share them with … A “good life” indeed.

>>><<<

A great sidebar to this story … the UNC pitcher Robert Woodard who shutout Clemson on Sunday night went thru OnDeckBaseball.  (As did several other current Tar Heels) Garry knows the kid very well and his parents.  I asked Garry if he had goosebumps for the kid on such a big stage.  He admitted “I got a little nervous about the 8th inning.”  Didn’t we all?

Life is “funny” weird with no guarantees.  That Clemson game might be “as good as it ever gets” for Robert Woodard.  He might make it to “the show”, he might not … but like John Kinsella and Crash Davis and Garry Hill, Robert Woodard’s life will always include “a baseball moment and baseball memories”.

>>><<<

One more quick story if you have a couple of minutes … in 1967, Carolina got another freshman battery.  This one came from Kingsport TN and Dobyns Bennett High School … a hard-throwing lefty Larry “Ox” Kiser and his catcher Mike Roberts.

Mike is now known as Brian Roberts’ daddy.  He was UNC baseball coach for many years until Prince Tassel Loafer became AD, but that’s another story.

What about Larry Kiser? … WELL …

In about 1973 or 74 I was in real estate development outside Atlanta and became good friends with Roric Harrison.  Until Anna Benson’s husband Chris hit a home run for Baltimore vs the Mets on Saturday, Roric was the last O’s pitcher to hit a home run.  He was a middle reliever on that O’s staff with four 20 game winners.  He had been traded to the Braves in 73.  Roric had invited me down to West Palm Beach for the Braves spring training.  We walk into the Braves clubhouse.  Picture this … Hank Aaron, Eddie Matthews, Davey Johnson, Darrel Evans, Dusty Baker, Ralph Garr, et al et al … and who do I see … Larry “Ox” Kiser.  “Ox” had signed with Atlanta and was enjoying what would be “as good as it would get” for him that Spring working out with “the big club”.

I like to think that after Ox and I had caught up and I had left … Hammerin’ Hank probably walked up to “Ox” and asked … “Do you really know BobLee?”

NOTE:  Of all “the boys from Post 9” only Robert Rhoades had an adult career in baseball.  Robert recently retired as the longtime baseball coach at Olympic High School in Charlotte.

>>><<<

OK…. Back To The Yucky Reality of These Days …. LINK

CCU Chanticleers DONE DONE IT!

Gary Gilmore’s 1100 nd win.

What a game. Had to watch online via the U stream. Got an ESPN update about 2 pitches prior to End of Game on stream. U is several minutes behind.

To top it off, barmaid gave me a free Margarita for filling her in on score & details. How about them Roosters

I only saw the last two innings. Hopefully CCU “Fat Cats” will not corrupt the program now. Thats THREE NatChmps for Palmetto State !!!

• bigalsouth Reply

BL writes: “. . . and he talks about his brother Eddie and Skippy and the Lemonds brothers Ronnie and David and Robert Rhoades and John Richards and Neal Wester and Coach Jack Lemonds (Ronnie and David’s daddy).”

Even today, there is something wonderful, if not magical, occurring on the rec league ball fields found in every county in this country: Kids from five years of age through high school playing America’s Game, while being coached by their dads. I was lucky to be a part of many seasons (fall and spring leagues) with my youngest son from T-Ball through high school. The best teams my son played for were coached by volunteer dads who were lucky enough to have excellent, athletic sons play for them. Three was definitely a causal connection between the kid’s excellence and the dad’s willingness to shepherd a bunch of youngsters, athletes and non-athletes alike, into a team. Of course, the winning teams were closer to each other than the losing teams, but all experience that special bond of having teammates, working together toward a goal, and often sharing the fruits of sacrifice.

So let me just say thank you, and may God bless all the dads who choose to be a part of their kids athletic lives as their coach. There is no better investment in this world.

Even Youth Sports CAN be corrupted if not careful but in its purer versions it is very cool…. 🙂

• BigAlSouth Reply

Don’t harsh my mello, BobLee!

Yes, I recall at least one incident where the dad/son coaching/playing relationship was unhealthy. The kid was good, played on many All-Star teams, but he thought he was better than everybody else, a feeling most likely ingrained by his dad. In one game at State playoffs, I was coaching 3rd. This kid was the tying run at 3rd in the last inning. He calls time out and walks off the bag. I’m yelling at him that the umpires did not see him call time out and to get back on base. He just sneers at me, brushes past me toward the dugout. They throw him out at third, we lose the game. Little puke, I could have smacked him.

• TheCowdog Reply

I’m with you, BL. CNR and I have discussed the new kids on the diamond many times, and never fail to marvel at their ability, and how much these kids remind us of ourselves.
    Now they might not think they’re old school, but truly, they are closer to it than they realize.
    Something happened over the last decade, or so, that brought the game back to its roots in many a way.

For Doug: #13 with the most exaggerated closed stance known to man, and the key to the Yanks whenever Mick, Roger, Yogi, or Tom Tresh went
    down.

At 10 yrs old I had no idea what a closed stance was Cowdog. We all tried it copy #13 on our field of dreams along with Ralph Terry, Whitey Ford, Bill Stafford, Early Wynn, Kubec, Howard, Berra…………….

My interest in modern major league baseball has waned considerably. Growing up, the Yankees were in their prime and like a lot of kids in my neighborhood I adopted them as my team. One kid liked the Red Sox and another, the White Sox. Most all of us disdained the national League. Don’t know why but we did. I could recite every player on the Yankee roster. My favorite non-superstar NY player was Hector Lopez. Every kid in the neighborhood would copy his unique batting stance a few times as we went through the lineup in batting order of every player. Nowadays I can not recite maybe more than five MLB current players. I worked with a guy from Roxboro. Actually the Shake Rag community in Person County Most of his friends tell me if he hadn’t hurt his knee he would have been more famous than Enos Slaughter and a much nicer person to boot. I have never met a person that didn’t have a few bad things to say about “Country.”

The lost ballparks really brings memories back. Never appreciated them till they were gone. A fun trip down memory lane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEI21joabSg

I appreciate your POV but don’t share it. I still love “watching the game” for all the reasons that so many say they don’t. IMO, the MLBers “behave themselves” waaaaay better than NBA or NFL and I appreciate the “traditions” that still hold up. … I met Enos a coupla times at celeb golf events in his later years… but did not have the opportunity to judge his likability.

I can’t explain why my interest waned from watching it on TV but it has. Still do enjoy the game at any level in person. Enjoy the pace, the ballpark, the crowd. I live less than five minutes from one of the best Little League ballparks in America, Elm Street Park, and enjoy riding my bike to watch the kids play. I just no longer have a MLB team I follow or that captures my interest. I do enjoy watching the highlights on Sports Center. Maybe we need a few more sportscasters like Dizzy and Pee Wee to rekindle my interest. There are no more “characters” calling games. That’ll never happen again with The Suits in charge these days.

I have solved that in how I watch Cardinals game. While I enjoy “having a team” I certainly don’t live/die with each game’s outcome at all. I do not have the same interest in simply “watching a random game” at all. I subscribe to MLB.prime which gives me access to every game for every team (except the Nationals due to “market rules)…. a neat feature is I can select which broadcast I watch… so I always watch/listen to the Cardinals FoxSportsMidwest which is like listening to a sane Woody or Gary Hahn who know the players and team history. Yes, they are “homers” but not emotionally so. … When I do watch a game with “a national crew from ESPN or whatever” it is not as enjoyable.

• TheCowdog Reply

Hey, y’all remember Hap Siracuse?….
    No?…. Oh, yeah. All of my 60’s stuff is Niagara Frontier centric. 🙂

Yes, I have sort’a bonded with Coastal, primarily because of their LF and #3 hole hitter, Conner Owings. The kid does what he does on, essentially, a kidney and a 1/3. He faces inevitable replacement (To continue a pro career as an Arizona Diamondback) with a donor already lined up…His mom.

Just after they told his story, didn’t he get a key hit in a late inning? And The Chantys are “doing it” without Big Time Recruits ???

• thailand Reply

It’s 5-2 Coastal in the bottom of the 8th as I write, Arizona has the bases loaded with no outs…..
    _____________________________________________________
    Love that picture of the little baseball pals.
    _____________________________________________________
    Must be that Kinston upbringing from which you gather such pleasant takes on what really matters….
    _____________________________________________________
    Ran into a guy on the streets of Phnom Penh who was born and raised in Kinston, went to State, and once told me about his place in Bangkok over a few draughts at Crowleys one evening a few years ago. Small world….. He reads BobLee.
    ________________________________________________________
    5-4 Coastal, top of the 9th, one on, two outs (Coastal at bat)
    ________________________________________________________
    Little League baseball was my favorite time in sports. New baseball shoes from Johnson Lamb, a jaw-full of Bazooka gum, a freshly oiled Mickey Mantle glove, my gray uniform with red piping, the lights over JC Park, holding down the hot corner for Bryan Cooper, a Coca Cola power hitter at the plate, proud parents and a patient little sister up in the stands. I still have our team photo and those memories…..Moochies for sure!
    _____________________________________________________
    Coastal hangs on 5-4
    _____________________________________________________
    Cheers fro Phnom Penh

thailand

“A note From Thai” is The Perfect Way to begin a new day !!!

Eloquent.

CCU lives to play another day…… what’s that old line? Survive and Advance.

Weather in Myrtle Beach was lousy last night…..but there was a mild roar around 11:00.

Have a funny desire to read some Chaucer this morning.

Go Roosters

Already a Big Win for the “Little Guys”. How have they done this without “charging station”, IPFs, and “Eligibility Schemes” ???

There were also some memorable high school baseball games with Kinston’s own Leo Hart and Tarboro’s Mike Caldwell on the mound. If I recall correctly every game was close. 1-0, 2-1 etc.Hint, hint. I’d also enjoy a story about the Kinston Little League State Championship team and a where are they now follow-up. No better TGU antidote than a good baseball story from the good days.

That was Little Tar Heel League around -60–61… coached by Vince & Barry Jones. Leo Hart, Dwight Buck, Mike Baker, Bert Feik, Ted Gaskins, Junior Stallings, Edgie Palat… That bunch also won the State 3-A Championship their Sr year in HS… 1967. Edgie was the only one who “signed”. Had a year or so in the minors. I think Dwight, Ted and Mike are still around Kinston area.

• 58WolfKennel Reply

“BL, just love your reminiscing about good ’60’s stuff. However, I have to do it about ’50’s stuff. Loved playing Legion ball in Kinston for Coach Frank Mock in 1953 along with George Whitfield. Carl Coley and I bummed over from New Bern every day, and George came out of some tobacco field. We lost the State Legion Championship that year to Graham playing at a very dark Graham baseball field.
    The latter half of the ’50’s action moved to NC State College where we had the whole Wilmington mafia playing for Coach Vic Sorrell. We had Scotty Hurst at short, Derris Bradshaw at second, Rock Casteen in the outfield, his younger brother Danny pitching, and later Roman Gabriel at first. Tar Heel Coach Walter Rabb loved us because we won every game against Carolina; and that can be vouched for by Carolina shortstop Roger Honeycutt who will confess that at the next Raleigh Sports Club meeting.
    George Whitfield and I are still planning to go down to Kinston late July to have lunch with Coach Frank Mocks’ widow who is more than spry at age 99. Will let you know when it’s set up.

I would hope every decade has great baseball memories. They are special. I think its the peanuts and crackerjacks.

• BC.in.PV Reply

BL, what a great story! I would have loved to have watched Hill pitch!!

Old Timers say …. “the best there ever was. Maybe the best there’ll ever be….” 🙂

• Scott White Reply

Bob, Thanks for this great article about the boys from post # 9. Jack is now 93 and he was a POW in Germany. Was not only a coach but was Mechlenburg Amateur player of the year in 1953. Coached those boys to Babe Ruth World seies and Colt World Series. It sure would be great to see someone write something about him. Thanks, Scott

Wow…. that is a real Golden Oldie from 8-10 years ago. I thought only Rudisell remembered that one. These kids from Coastal are having their Post 9 experience in Omaha.