KENNEL, What The Hell Is Going On…..

Fall of Saigon
March24/ 2016

I freely admit, I have not paid very close attention to Wolfpack Basketball since the glory days of Corchiani & The Unitard… over 20 years ago.  The Les, Herb, Sidney Eras all kinda run together.  So I am the last person to have a worthwhile opinion on the State of Hoop Fortunes among The Brickyard Bunch.  But DAMN ….

Luckily, we have TheBobKennel on retainer here to give me, and maybe some of you’ans the lowdown…. In the unlikely event that TBK does not have the answer, we have NCSU’68 who never lacks for a word or two or 500.  I will accept the thoughts of pretty much anyone who wants to chime in.

Yo Pack Guys,,,, WTH ????

Fall of SaigonUPDATE…. “Baghdad Bob” has replied.  (see below) He and Frau Yow are not worried at all.  “All these transfers” are NOT hurting program at all.  Frau’s plan to make NCSU “a wrestling school” is on schedule.

The Mass Exodus of Student-Athletes in a hurry to get away from GottWorld is starting to look like The Fall of Saigon in April 1975.  All that’s lacking is a helicopter on the roof of The PNC Arena with disenchanted youngsters clinging to the struts.

Martin Twins

The latest to bail are “The Martin Twins”.   Not to be confused with The Ware (Wear) Twins who bailed on Roy a few yeas ago, leaving a post-it note on their refrigerator with a cryptic “ADIOS DUDE”…. actually “CROATAN” woulda been more appropriate in hindsight it being North Carolina and all.

Is Duke the only area school that can retain siblings?  The Era of Plumlee I, Plumlee II and Plumlee III is ending some time over the next ten days.  The first Plumlee (Plumlee I) having backed-up “Mountain Man” Mike Lewis from Missoula Montana on those Bubas teams on the mid 60s.   There has been a Plumlee on a Duke Basketball roster ever since…. or so it seems. …. But Duke’s area rival programs haven’t Comparato Twinsbeen so lucky apparently in retaining siblings.

NOTE:  Speaking of Twins…. my buddies – The Fabulous Comparato Twins – Nicole & Paige are continuing to excel at every level.  Entering Y3 at Univ of Miami Law School, Nicole is, to no surprise, Editor of The Law Review with Paige as her #2.

I don’t have the lengthy list of Gott-Era Transfers but it has to be about as high as Chris Washburn’s SAT score… or Charles Shackleford’s IQ.  The latter being lower than the former.   I am sure the ever-growing list is available on the various PackFan cyber-saloons.  Gotta believe the hard-wired crazies deep in the bowels of Reynolds Coliseum are romping and stomping over this.

I am NOT trying to divert attention from The Great Unpleasantness or Why Everyone Hates Duke’s White Players.   Those are certainly fun debate topics too.   I am pretty sure this issue with annual transfers out of Gott’s Program is in no way related to Swahili.  …. I’m sure BK will somehow blame it on Repubs because that’s what he does…. then we’ll move along from there to, hopefully, a more substantive conclusion.

Each year I read that Coach Gott has corralled the best group of recruits this side of Calipari World.  Then the team muddles along to mediocre seasons despite one high-scoring future NBAer but not much else…. and then Spring comes and it’s The Fall of Saigon again…. and again.  ????

Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State

RALEIGH, N.C. — Twins Caleb and Cody Martin are transferring from NC State.

Coach Mark Gottfried announced their decision Thursday following what he said was “a series of honest, thoughtful and somewhat surprising conversations” they’ve had since the season ended.

The brothers, who play both guard and forward, ranked fourth and fifth on the team in scoring, with Caleb averaging 11.5 points and Cody scoring 6.0 points per game. They combined to start 35 games as sophomores this season.

Caleb thanked North Carolina State for the opportunity but said “we think it is best for us to move on.”

READ MORE…. LINK.

Wait…. There’s More!

CLICK

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

16 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Tom the Wuff
Tom the Wuff

Well sadly, this is not the FIRST occurrence of State losing four players transferring in one season. How about these names from the past ~ Dirk Ewing, Al Green (not the smooth R&B singer), brothers Brian and Steve Walker? The waning years of Stormin’ Norman’s reign at State! Circa 1977. And now, as was then, the Pack will survive and rise again like the great Phoenix! Sans the Gottfather? Eh, not anytime REAL soon albeit a couple more seasons w/o dancing would surely cement that deal (Quido does our cement work)!

Porgie
Porgie

Considering un-retiring and re-enrolling in a tState. I can still shoot the 3. Use my old philosophy of if you shoot enough, eventually one will go in. If there had been a 3 point shot in our Red Devil days, my average would have been 3 instead of 2/ game. Once was confused with a local who was on scholarship while playing intramural BB because of my long range lefty bombs. Come next November, I plan to be in my seats at the PNC cheering for whomever shows up wearing the Red & White from State. If they are are… Read more »

58 Wolf Kennel
58 Wolf Kennel

BL, always “love” your twist on things. My comment on “not hurt” applies to the transfers over the years including Gottfried’s first four years which resulted in dancing including two sweet sixteens. What really hurt this past year were not transfers out but untimely and surprising professional leavings like Lacey and untimely season-ending injuries like Henderson. Those missing players both gave the Martin twins dramatically more playing time which they filled to the best of their abilities (but not dance-worthy).

SeaIsland-Gambler
SeaIsland-Gambler

After being skipped over by the NIT, an expected NBA declaration, a curious one, and a few odd transfers if Coach Gott is as smart as he thinks he’ll spend the weekend honing up the old resume.

58 wolf kennel
58 wolf kennel

BL, you have not been following close enough:+)) I was surprised by the timing of the Martin Twins’ announcement. Not totally surprising if you think about it. Neither would have had the playing time next year that they had this year. Showed promise but petered out somewhat. Liked the kids a lot, however. The longer list of transfers also had an individual story with each, but they have all proven to have not hurt NC State except for the depth chart. The Abu testing of NBA is perfectly appropriate, and I expect to see him back and improved by what… Read more »

Doug
Doug

I know nothing. However a few years back in 20?? just after Gottfried was hired at NCSU I was listening to The Paul Finebaum Show driving when it was radio only. Paul commented to one of his classic nutcase callers that NCSU, like Alabama, would (paraphrasing) absolutely LOVE MG for about 3 or 4 years and then quickly sour on him because sooner or later he would wear out his welcome. Pack Pride must be on fire. I forget the names of the UNC twins that left the reservation a few years back so it’s not unprecedented.

Doug
Doug
Reply to  BobLee

Busted! ? In my haste to walk Sally the Lab before dark I just glanced at the article but have now read it TWICE. I did catch the Lost Colony reference. I also read today that Calipari is going to declare every UK player, including walk-ons, NBA eligible to take advantage and again make a mockery of the new NCAA rule. Say or think what you want about Cal but he ain’t no dummy. BTW, Paul still said what he said about Gott. Maybe it was Jim from Tuscaloosa.

Dr.Vinnyboombatz
Dr.Vinnyboombatz
Reply to  BobLee

When the twins were freshmen they played in practice against Terry Henderson. This year they practiced against Torin Dorn. Both of those guys would play ahead of them. The freshman Rowan played well during the ACC part of the schedule and was also ahead of both twins. With a healthy Henderson and Dorn becoming eligible, the Martin brothers would have been on the court far less in 2017 than this year. Those kids gave great effort and I am sure will continue to do so at their next school where they can get the minutes they had at State in… Read more »

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x