Randy Woodson: The BEST/ONLY Choice

June06/ 2015

Current NCSU Chancellor Randy Woodson is unequivocally THE BEST / ONLY Choice to be the next President of the UNC System.  That is not debatable.

(NOTE: Some of you may recall back in January, I floated “Eeeevil Art” Pope as a possible next Prez.  That was simply a ploy to send Chapel Hill into full delirium mode.  It worked.  Art told me recently he received “some interesting emails” after I posted that.  Hehehehe!)

the-augean-stables-2-728Convincing Randy to take the thankless job is “the issue”.   Was Hercules eager to muck out The Augean Stables?

I have had this column on hold for several months, since John “Trainwreck” Fennebresque did his tongue-tied bull in a china shop sorta-kinda firing Tommy “Bagman” Ross as current President of the much maligned UNC System.   Fennebresque is the current Chairman of the 32-member UNC Board of Governors.

Why do I call Tommy Ross “Bagman”?  Because from 2001 – 2007, Ross was “bagman” for the radical left-wing Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation Ross’ job was to raise and launder beau coups of bucks for ZSRF to wage political war against anyone / anything that was in opposition to ZSRF’s hard-line left-wing 28232_0119_tomross_garrigo020_copyfpolitical agenda.

… Ross’ pals downplay his six years as a high-level “political operative” preferring the pristine image of Tom as the kindly president of Davidson or as a member of the North Carolina judiciary; but Tom Ross IS a “left-wing political operative”.  Enough about Tommy Ross.

The “firing” (??) of “Z. Smith” Tom back in January was handled as non-adroitly as a cub bear trying to thread a needle while wearing oven mitts.  It is inconceivable how such a “one car funeral” could have been bungled as thoroughly as Fennebresque bungled that.  But thoroughly bungled it was.

Randy Woodson has expressed a handful of quite logical reasons for not being interested in being President of The UNC System.   Having to deal with John Fennebresque would be high on anyone’s list.eOPnQ.So.138

I’m sure John Fennebresque has some admirable qualities.  So does Joe Biden I’m told.  Legendary Banking Mogul Hugh McColl must think so as Fennebresque was “his lawyer on speed-dial”.   Maybe you could still find a clerk at Moore Van Allen that would have a favorable anecdote about Pistol-packin’ John’s aborted tenure at that juggernaut law firm.

Maybe NC Senate President Phil Berger actually thought Fennebresque had the skill set to chair the UNC BOG.  Why else would Phil have greased the skids for Fennebresque’s rise to Chairman.  OK, there could be other rea$on$…. wink, wink.

Come on Phil.   Do us all a big favor.  Give John his fat check back and make him go away….. sooner, not later, please.    Yeah yeah John claims to “dearly love UNC”.   Dickie Baddour “dearly loved UNC” too.  The comparison of “two loose cannons on a rolling deck” doesn’t stop there.

Offer John an ambassadorship to Vermont.  Whatever, just get him off the BOG before he can do any more damage.

Hang on.  I’ll get to Why Randy in a minute.  Getting rid of “Trainwreck” is key to that.

The UNC BOG has hired a search firm for $150,000 to find some fog-a-mirror whozit who will take the UNC System Prez gig.  Someone who will NOT do their own due diligence on “Trainwreck”.   If they do, they won’t take the gig.   It’s a variation on Groucho Marx’s “I won’t join any club that would have me as a member.”

So long as Fennebresque is Chairman of the UNC BOG, the buzzards, vultures and hyenas of the regional media will never go hungry.   As with “Bozo” Joe Biden, just poke John with a stick and be sure your recorder is on.   Fennebresque, will be “the story” about anything involving the UNC BOG so long as he is its Chairman.

There are some darn fine folks currently on the Board of Governors.  Men and women of character and accomplishment thoroughly capable of piloting the 18-campus battleship in a quite capable fashion.   Sure, the goggle-eyed rabid bats that roost along “quaint Franklin Street” will never agree so long as even one BOG member has an “R” after his/her name but the constipated screeches of the Franklin Streeters – a/k/a “the Gene Nichol Gang” – are increasingly irrelevant.

Is the UNC BOG a partisan political organization?  No more so today than it was for the 30+ years it was in the iron fists of the Basnight/Rand/Black regime.   Anyone who claims otherwise is either a fool, terminally naïve or both.   Appointments to the BOG have ALWAYS been “bought” thru political patronage.  Emphasis on the word ALWAYS.

OK…. so “Trainwreck” goes away.  To be replaced by one of several qualified candidates.  Phil, call me if you need “a short list”.

So assuming a Fennebresque-less UNC BOG….. Why Randy Woodson?

NOTE:  There is a school-of-thought that the System Prez position is best served by a non-academic / a CEO-type in the mold of CD Spangler and Erskine Bowles.  All thing equal I agree with that model, but these are especially roiling times.  Ergo, I suggest “an academic” who has demonstrated a CEO-management mentality which, IMO, Randy Woodson has done as NCSU Chancellor.

To borrow a BobLee phrase, Randy has proven to be a “Sarah Lee” academic executive.   As in “….. nobody doesn’t like Sarah Lee / Randy Woodson”.   Now being “liked” is certainly not a criteria for executive competency.   Being Universally Respected is and Randy Woodson is “Universally Respected” among NCSU faculty, staff, students, alumni and among his peers across America.

Whether one is a University Chancellor or a grill cook at WAFFLE HOUSE, to make an omelette you gotta break a few eggs.  I’m sure in his five years as NCSU Chancellor, Randy has made decisions that favored one faction over another be it a faculty, student, staff matter.  The “sorry Charlies” might sulk at having their wishes denied by Randy; but no one questions that Randy Woodson has shown the “sand in his gizzard” that effective leaders must have.

His hiring Debbie “Frau” Yow as NCSU AD was a high-risk decision…. that seems to have been an artful one.  Credit Randy Woodson.

As opposed to two other local university administrators at a certain “Flagship” and a private institution over in West Derm who seem to “step in something” on a regular basis.

Is Randy a “D”?  Probably but that should not be a deal-breaker.  I know a handful of decent “D’s”.   Certainly no evidence that Randy is an ideologue like “Z. Smith” Tommy.

Randy has all the academic cred one could imagine.  It is on the real-world science side rather than with the navel-gazing Lib-Arts squirrels which is a BIG PLUS to everyone except to resolverthe Lib-Arts squirrels…. whose opinions we already marginalized above.   Granted he is “not from around here” but neither are an increasingly large number of our citizens.  He’s been here long enough to understand “bless your heart” has numerous meanings.

Randy’s five years at NCSU have given him a Ph.D in UNC System and enough working understanding of this state to know what “from Murphy to Manteo” means.  Odds are he can even locate Cullowhee on a map, or at least come close.

By comparison, former UNC System Diva Molly Broad never knew (or cared) that Tar Heel is two words and hushpuppy is one word.   Molly and Meezer were quite a scary pair.

Randy knows where “Jones Street” is and can walk those halls without getting lost or stumbling over any of Bully Barber’s human detritus.   When Randy comes acalling on “the honorables” for support of UNC System concerns, he will be welcomed, not shunned.   That fact alone makes Randy Woodson THE ONLY suitable choice for this important position.

Randy is NOT bloated by Flagship Kool-Aid which is also an ENORMOUS PLUS in his favor.   The UNC System has been Franklin Street-centric waaaaay too long.   Under President Randy, the UNC System will NOT be “UNCCH and the 17 dwarfs”.  YIPPEE!

Randy will hit the deck as UNC Prez in a full operational sprint.   No six months “get acquainted” period.

The media weasels will still hate the BOG because of that “R” thing but will adore “President Randy” who can/will run effective interference for the Board.

Absolutely NO ONE that the $150,000 search firm will dig up will be able to hold a candle to Randy Woodson.   They will find some “next Molly Broad” galoot out there that they will tout, but why bother?

I’ve heard (thru my many super secret back channels) why Randy is saying “gee thanks fellas; but no thanks”.  I respect his well-thought-out criteria which only solidify why he is THE ONLY choice..   Working with Fennebresque would be reason enough for most folks.   I’ve eliminated that one up above. So….

(1)    Dump “Trainwreck” then….
(2)    Send a committee of functioning adults bearing gifts to get Randy Woodson.

Offer Randy $1,250,000/per (about 50% of what Goofy Ol’ Roy makes) and be prepared to jack that to $1.5 if necessary.   Tommy Ross is at $600,000 (Gene Chizik tops that as “an assistant coach”).   Any whozit the search firm digs up will demand “at least a mill” and not be worth half of it.

Give Randy a five-year no-cut guarantee.   I predict he will be there AT LEAST 10 years.   Assure him he will NOT have to live in that Addams Family mausoleum on Franklin Street.   That’s another deal-breaker to most normal folks.

If push comes to shove and Randy is still wavering, bring me in to unveil Plan B of my Awesome UNC System Master Plan.   That will seal the deal…. and REALLY piss off the Franklin Street gang.

Could all this actually happen?  Absolutely.   Will it?  That depends on who, and how many whos, see this commentary….. and THAT is up to YOU.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

35 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Perry Woods
Perry Woods

I read it twice just to be sure.  You may want to sit down.  I agree. 🙂  Mayor McFarlane would too.  Very solid and rational post.

Reply to  Perry Woods

Oh Lordy…. I’m sure this is noted in Revelations. AgentPierce and PKWoods agreeing. Rivers of blood sure to follow. 🙂

JackG
JackG

I had high hopes for a new UNC BOG to jerk a knot in the lunatic fringe running the UNC System for decades. I support canning Ross for the reasons you noted…. and certainly support kneecapping Gene Nichol…. but this BOG,led by “Trainwreck” appears to be just that – a “Trainwreck”.

Is there really any hope for improvement?

Reply to  JackG

Good questions. Yes there IS hope for improvement… but NOT with Fennebresque “leading” (??) the BOG.

Don’t judge the entire 17-18 campuses by the nitwits on Franklin Street. Other than UNC-CH and lately UNC-W, the other campuses seem to be fairly stable operations with the issues any college would face …. sexual assaults, alcohol, hazing, losing teams, etc. Any college campus is “a box of chocolates” as Forrest would say.

There really are some solid folks on the current BOG, but “Trainwreck” is stifling their contributions. I’m not kidding. He HAS to go!

58 Wolf Kennel
58 Wolf Kennel

Well, this is about full circle. This is an excellent article but methinks AP has plagiarized what should have been a BL column. BL and I did discuss the Randy Woodson to System Pres. back in January immediately after Pres. Tom Ross got the undeserved political shaft. Through the Council of UNC Alumni Association Presidents, I have personally known the last five UNC System Presidents (as well as giving them colored basketballs :>)). Each President was quite different, but they managed the system in a mostly apolitical manner. If he were still among us, emeritus BOG member Gov. Jim Holshouser… Read more »

Reply to  58 Wolf Kennel

Until the recent seismic shift in the General Assembly, The BOG WAS, Most Definitely, UNCCH & The 17 Dwarfs. “Your oh so magnanimous political chums” appointed as many as 90% UNCCH alumni to the virtual exclusion of representation for the other 16-17 institutions. Their version of patronage gave Old Wellers TOTAL control of The BOG, The System and how $$$$ was allocated. At no time during “your side’s” stranglehold on the BOG were there any more than five R’s among the 32 sitting members. Ahhhh, how wonderful a selective memory can be, Bob. 🙂 …. Apply that same selective memory… Read more »

BullCityWuffie
BullCityWuffie

As a Wolfpack alum, I’d hate to lose Woodson to UNC General Administration. Beyond that, I agree with most everything you’ve written.

One minor correction though: we’ve only got 17 UNC institutions — the 15.5 universities, and the high schools at UNC School of the Arts and the NC School of Science and Mathematics

72Packer
72Packer

Until the BOG can deal with the elephant in Chapel Hill, they should not be allowed to pick a new prez. I suggest that Randy Woodson be named system prez–but not of UNC! He should be prez of the new NC State Science and Technology Greater University system made up of the non-liberal arts programs as well as the med schools at ECU and UNC. North Carolina would then have its own version of Texas and Texas A&M University systems.

Reply to  72Packer

That is certainly a creative alternative solution.

Woodson IsAWinner
Woodson IsAWinner

Thank you, Agent Pierce! Dr. Woodson is indeed the perfect candidate for all the reasons you cited. I will add a twist to say, “why do we need Fennebresque?”. Let Dr. Woodson run the whole thing and let him hire his own competent people to run whatever he doesn’t want to handle. He needs a “good cop” (Gen. Shelton comes to mind); and a “bad cop” (duplicate of Ms. Yow “I don’t have a need to be liked”) to handle the septic tank pumpings. I think someone suggested earlier that the UNC system HQ needs to be moved to the… Read more »

Agent Pierce

Even an “honest guy” like Randy needs a citizens’ oversight group representing “the taxpayers” so a BOG in some form is a necessity. Political partisans differ on the make-up of said body. The Dems were fine when the BOG was 90-100% Dems for decades, not so happy these says. …. Bill Friday set the System up so the HE as Prez really held the day-to-day power and that is still the case… but with out “kindly ol’ Bill” at the helm. …. as for moving the GA HQ “the hell outta Chapel Hill” whether to RTP or to “the government… Read more »

Jim Pomeranz

Excuse me, AP, but it was back on January 19 of this year that I suggested Randy Woodson to be the next President of the UNC System. How about a lttle credit here? http://2015-dtd.blogspot.com/2015/01/choice-for-unc-president-should-be-dr.html

Reply to  Jim Pomeranz

You are excused Jim. Alas, I am likely the only person in America that does not read your blog. Yes, I’m that one guy. Now between your gazillion readers and my humble handful, we should have the Western Hemisphere blanketed. 🙂

58 wolf kennel
58 wolf kennel

AP
If I’m going to comment, it needs to be significant so this is just a place holder until getting back from Kennel’s Beach and church to the power of a full keyboard rather than this Minimascope Android. Til then :+))

Reply to  58 wolf kennel

“A placeholder”? You don’t require a #, Bob. This isn’t Baskin Robbins. Your comments are always welcomed whenever however you deliver them.

Earl
Earl

AP: There are a good number of conservative scholars and administrators who would be willing to take on UNC position whether John Fennebresque is an effective chairman or not. There are some good members on the BOG and some good ones are coming on in July. Think about it–Baylor went out and got Ken Starr. There are others like him. There are dozens of conservative presidents at small colleges (like Ross’s Davidson) who would be excellent choices. We desperately need a game-changer, not a Jim Hunt scheme to protect the liberal status quo in the UNC system until the Democrats… Read more »

Reply to  Earl

I doubt either of our plans has a chance of implementation. I’m all for yours if it does happen.

Earl
Earl
Reply to  Agent Pierce

AP: I understand your frustration, but I simply refuse to believe that a Republican-appointed BOG is going to cave to the UNC System leftist establishment. Suppose we had just accepted the status quo when we took over the legislature? We have to change and reform; otherwise all is for naught. We must encourage the BOG to go find “the man of the hour” and turn this behemoth around. It can be done. We cannot allow the leftist indoctrination of our youth to continue. Mike Adams has proven that the UNC system is a liberal cesspool that will not tolerate even… Read more »

Earl
Earl

AP–I generally agree with you, but I’m not following you here. We need a game-changer at the helm of the bloated, leftist UNC system. I can only see Woodson maintaining the status quo until the Democrats get back in control of state government. In fact, I’ve heard through some very reliable back channels that Woodson is the “Jim Hunt Plan” for keeping the UNC system safe from conservative influence. The BOG needs to go out and find a sharp conservative scholar and/or administrator and put him in charge; otherwise the Republican Party will leave the entire system in the clutches… Read more »

Reply to  Earl

I guess its a battle of “inside sources”. My “crazy right-wing pals” that know Randy are not at all afraid of him for the reasons you note. Regardless, no one fitting your (and my) ideal description will even consider this quagmire with Trainwreck as Chair. To my knowledge there’s only one guy that comes close to your description – the guy in Indiana. “Conservative scholars” are rarer than UNC alums who have actually read Look Homeward Angel. I’ll go for “your guy” if you can persuade one to even take a visit… until then I’m going with Randy. Jim Hunt… Read more »

Robedixon
Robedixon

While we are at this doing some real change let’s add in my earlier suggestion of moving the UNC HQ to Raleigh helping make Randy’s decision easier
As I opined just so happens the old N&O is for sale.

Reply to  Robedixon

YOUR suggestion?? Sez YOU. I already have three tentative sites picked out for the UNC System New HQ… well outside Orange County.

Didn’t see that For Sale sign. Will check it out.

Robedixon
Robedixon
Reply to  Agent Pierce

Should have said N&O building which does have a for sale sign.

Reply to  Robedixon

Oh. Yeah, that was announced last month. They are moving all 25 employees and three vending machines to a double-wide on Jim Jenkins’ aunt’s farm outside Knighdale.
How the once mighty have fallen. 🙂

NCSU68Grad
NCSU68Grad

Sounds like a plan to me. I do not have Dr. Randy’s cellphone number, but did have an opportunity to talk to him early one morning at RDU as we waited for an incoming WPC Charter. As luck would have it, I had a relative that was turned down for a NCSU Graduate program and her dad asked me if I knew anyone. I sent a very polite and short email with the facts. He promptly asked for a second review by the department head and I got back a very nice note, personally. She still came up a bit… Read more »

Reply to  NCSU68Grad

Momentum is building all across The Triangle. Berger’s phone and email is in melt-down. Vermont is organizing a Welcome Ambassador Trainwreck parade down the main street of Montpelier.

Not sure re: Chancellor Frau. I figure you and BK can arm wrestle for it

Lobo
Lobo

He would be the shizz! I know him personally. He’s as solid as can be.

But I can’t see Fennebresque exiting stage left. So prolly not going to happen.

Reply to  Lobo

Stage left…. stage right…. or under the stage. I don’t care. Trainwreck’s gotta go.
The Randy 4 Prez Express has left the station !!!!

Porgie
Porgie

Please retract immediately your Agent Pierce column on Randy Woodson for UNC System President before too many of TPTB realize that he would absolutely, hands down be the optimum candidate for this position. Let’s just keep him in Raleigh where in his current position, he is doing more for the university system than anyone else probably could. I had these same thoughts months ago and was hoping no one else would come to the same conclusion. Great minds thinking alike?? Dangerous for you if so! Even BK might think this is a bad idea. We Wolfpackers have someone special as… Read more »

Reply to  Porgie

Kennel’s version of all this has HIM appointed Grand Exhalted Wuff in charge of Pretty Much Everything @ NCSU including Amedeo’s lasagna recipe.I fully expected negative blowback from selfish NCSU’s loyalists.Too late to stop this freight train now.:-)

TedAtDaBeach
TedAtDaBeach

Pierce, your stuff usually scares the crap out of me. But damn if you aren’t Locked & Loaded with this one – Randy Woodson would be PERFECT for the UNC Pres job. All the more reason, it would never happen. Have you heard from Phil Berger yet?

Reply to  TedAtDaBeach

No, have not heard from Phil yet; but a convoy of black SUVs with tinted windows is circling the cul-de-sac.FWIW…. my 2nd choice after Randy was Dick Cheney. Bwahahaha.

Frank Linstreet
Frank Linstreet

“Ambassadorship to Vermont” ??? Does that involve daily visits to Ben & Jerry’s World HQ. Maybe B&J would name a flavor for him – Pistacio Trainwreck ??? I’m not a Wuff but I would certainly vote for Randy for the job.

Agent Pierce

Imagine the damage John could do if let loose in an ice cream factory? The mind reels.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x